• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kinggroin

Banned
franco never worked well for me.
leankernel + leantweaks and some basic configuration has served me very well. I haven't changed the ROM or kernel on my phone in months - it basically got to a point where I'm so satisfied with how well it functions that I don't want to rock the boat until a new (not shitty) version of Android comes along.

Yup. Agreed. Same kernel but on Carbon 1.4

This has been the happiest I've been with this phone since the first JB update. I even did my first nandroid since the Droid X days!

Outside of screen size and battery on newer devices, I feel zero need to upgrade. None. This is a first for me with any device of this kind.

reKon

Banned
Yup. Agreed. Same kernel but on Carbon 1.4

This has been the happiest I've been with this phone since the first JB update. I even did my first nandroid since the Droid X days!

Outside of screen size and battery on newer devices, I feel zero need to upgrade. None. This is a first for me with any device of this kind.

I haven't used carbon before. How stable and smooth is it? I'm using cm 10.1 right now and it's been great

kinggroin

Banned
I haven't used carbon before. How stable and smooth is it? I'm using cm 10.1 right now and it's been great

Fine. Not a single issue that I've run across so long as you leave everything as is. Stock kernel and all.

Its AOKP+Paranoid Android+CNA with stock stability IMO. Give it a go.

Dammit, I fucked up beginning to root my phone - it's a VZW Galaxy Nexus with JRO03O. I used the Nexus Root Toolkit and was in the process of configuring drivers (oh, what fun). I downloaded the PdaNet drivers and missed the instructions where I cancel the full installation, so now I think I have PdaNet on my phone but I uninstalled it from my computer. Then I did the full driver test and, to my joy, it passed the ADB device test. But it failed the fastboot mode section and now my phone is in fastboot mode - I can't turn it off or cancel anything without pressing the big Start button. Man, oh man, don't tell me my phone has been bricked. How do I set everything to normal again, at least before the PdaNet installation?

thespot84

Dammit, I fucked up beginning to root my phone - it's a VZW Galaxy Nexus with JRO03O. I used the Nexus Root Toolkit and was in the process of configuring drivers (oh, what fun). I downloaded the PdaNet drivers and missed the instructions where I cancel the full installation, so now I think I have PdaNet on my phone but I uninstalled it from my computer. Then I did the full driver test and, to my joy, it passed the ADB device test. But it failed the fastboot mode section and now my phone is in fastboot mode - I can't turn it off or cancel anything without pressing the big Start button. Man, oh man, don't tell me my phone has been bricked. How do I set everything to normal again, at least before the PdaNet installation?

are fastboot drivers installes on your pc?

also what is pdanet for? i used the toolkit and never had to install anything like that. (i used a tethering app called pdanet a long time ago, is that it?)

kinggroin

Banned

If you haven't actually flashed anything yet, just hit volume up until the the big Start button changes to restart/reboot. Then hit power.

If you have flashed something and want to return to stock, do the below steps.

Download the stock vzw image. https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mysid-jro03o-factory-f17426e6.tgz

Redownload and install the LATEST galaxy toolkit. Uninstall PDA net from you're PC. Install the latest Samsung USB drivers for your phone (the toolkit has an option to do this for you).

Reboot your phone into android by pressing volume keys up or down in the fast boot screen until it says restart/reboot. Press power.

Once in android, go to developer settings and turn USB debug on.

Plug in your phone

Launch the toolkit. Start the return to stock process by clocking on the button, I believe in the top left corner. When the dialog box comes up asking what file to use, point it to the stock factory image you downloaded earlier.

Heads up, my memory is fuzzy, but you may have to lock the bootloader first if it's not already.

Good luck

gcubed

If you go into device manager you will see a missing driver for an android device. Fix that and you will be good to go

Futureman

Verizon 4.2.2 leaked with new radios guys! Grab em while they're hot, from the usual places.

Nice. I think if Verizon eventually pushes out 5.0 to GNex users, I'll be happy enough to wait for them. If it looks like it's never coming, I guess I'll throw a custom ROM on my phone at that point.

reKon

Banned
Fine. Not a single issue that I've run across so long as you leave everything as is. Stock kernel and all.

Its AOKP+Paranoid Android+CNA with stock stability IMO. Give it a go.

Maybe I will.. It just takes too much of my time to flash these rims now a days. Cm has been working do well in comparison to the other 4.2s that I'm scared of switching

reKon

Banned
I can't believe how much better performing cm 10.1 was compared to xenon, which was great in the past. I need to figure out if battery drain is an issue

kinggroin

Banned
Maybe I will.. It just takes too much of my time to flash these rims now a days. Cm has been working do well in comparison to the other 4.2s that I'm scared of switching

Oh well if things are great as is, I'd leave it alone.

If you're just bored, then at the very least make a nandroid backup.

reKon

Banned
Oh well if things are great as is, I'd leave it alone.

If you're just bored, then at the very least make a nandroid backup.

Too late! I went ahead and flashed this last night. I'm surprised that so far this ROM has the smoothness of CM 10.1, but is very fast. It almost feels like I'm using a Nexus 4. Is this what linaro based ROMs are suppose to be like? My only worry is that with this performance, I'll get much worse battery life. Also the customaztion on this is ridiculous. The only thing missing is the preset color controls that were in CM 10.1. I don't like having to set that up through the Franco app.

kinggroin

Banned
Too late! I went ahead and flashed this last night. I'm surprised that so far this ROM has the smoothness of CM 10.1, but is very fast. It almost feels like I'm using a Nexus 4. Is this what linaro based ROMs are suppose to be like? My only worry is that with this performance, I'll get much worse battery life. Also the customaztion on this is ridiculous. The only thing missing is the preset color controls that were in CM 10.1. I don't like having to set that up through the Franco app.

Glad you like it!

kinggroin

Banned
But seriously, how's your battery life? Lol

Stock battery and it was shitty as ever.

I use the phone HEAVILY. I mean, its nearly my primary computer at this point, but even on its best day, I don't think "good" would be an apt description for the battery life.

2 and a half hours of screen on time, 2.45 if dimmed.

Schlep

Today is my last day with the Galaxy Nexus. Company is making a mandatory switch to the HTC 8X (Windows Phone). The GNex may not have been perfect, but certainly much better than what I'm being forced to use now.

reKon

Banned
Wtf, I have a feeling that it's new radios that are what's raping my battery. I'm going to back to CM to 10.1 for a few days and see if anything changes.

Also, I can anyone tell me if it's generally OK to dirty flash 10.1 nightlies? I was able to do this on my touchpad with no issues and I wanted to know if it also applies here. Bonus if I can just flash M2 over the March 2nd nightly I have backed up

Stock battery and it was shitty as ever.

I use the phone HEAVILY. I mean, its nearly my primary computer at this point, but even on its best day, I don't think "good" would be an apt description for the battery life.

2 and a half hours of screen on time, 2.45 if dimmed.

This was my biggest pet peeve with my Verizon Gnex. The battery life was so awful that I couldn't actually use it for anything without killing it. I would have kept it if the battery was better, but in the end I just replaced it.

Today is my last day with the Galaxy Nexus. Company is making a mandatory switch to the HTC 8X (Windows Phone). The GNex may not have been perfect, but certainly much better than what I'm being forced to use now.

I'm sorry. I would rather slash my wrists than use Windows Phone.
Slightly exaggerated to make the point. But only slightly.

Darkwater

Guys, I'm on 4.2.2 stock unrooted atm and when I press the power button to turn off the screen, it takes like a second before the CRT turn-off animation starts. It's kind of annoying because I'm always waiting to see if I pressed the button properly or not. Anyone got the same thing and/or a fix?

KiKaL

I am currently running CM10.1 but have done nothing to the Kernel. Should I be changing it using the franco.Kernel updater app for the best performance?

beat

My Rogers Galaxy Nexus just got 4.2.1 a couple of days ago. And ever since then, I'm averaging almost one hard crash per day. The screen suddenly goes black, and I can't turn it back on until I briefly pop the battery out and put it back. Anyone know what I can do to fix this without rooting it?

(I feel like these kind of stability issues shouldn't have to be my responsibility...)

Instead of getting an extended battery, I decided to get this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009USAJCC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's essentially a large battery pack (slightly larger and thicker than the phone itself) good for ~4 charges of the GNex. Just wanted to throw it out because it works better than an extended batter would for me.

But does it charge the phone or does it keep it from draining battery? For example, if I connect my phone via USB to my laptop while on battery the phone will stop draining but it won't recharge. If that's the case then this is not such a good solution since you would need to carry around the battery all the time with you connected to your phone.

Instead of getting an extended battery, I decided to get this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009USAJCC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's essentially a large battery pack (slightly larger and thicker than the phone itself) good for ~4 charges of the GNex. Just wanted to throw it out because it works better than an extended batter would for me.

I recharge my phone every night. I just want it to keep from dying during the evening, when I'm out.

Definitely not a solution for everyone, but if you have downtime between heavy usage of your phone when a socket isn't always easy to get to, I find this much better than an extended battery. This use case is exactly what happens when I travel. And when I'm home, I almost never have trouble with battery.

I recharge my phone every night. I just want it to keep from dying during the evening, when I'm out.

If your phone is 100% charged before you go out and you are draining the entire battery, then this isn't a good solution. But if you are using your battery throughout the day, you could use this to recharge before going out (without requiring a socket).

But does it charge the phone or does it keep it from draining battery? For example, if I connect my phone via USB to my laptop while on battery the phone will stop draining but it won't recharge. If that's the case then this is not such a good solution since you would need to carry around the battery all the time with you connected to your phone.

It charges the phone, and it does so pretty quickly.

Just got the 4.2.2 update myself. Seems a tick smoother and slightly more polished overall. The quick settings in the notification shade are neat, but other than that I don't see anything too exciting. Lock screen widgets are ok. And the sphere photo mode looks like something I won't ever use. So that's that. Ah well, better than nothing I suppose.

HeySeuss

Just got mine too for VZW. I like the quick access thing in the notification pull down. Can't really tell much more of a difference yet.

Edit: I no longer have a camera shortcut from the lock screen? WTF? I actually used that often. I hope I can add it back.

Edit 2: Never mind its there, just not labeled or immediately obvious.

kinggroin

Banned
New camera, new keyboard with swype gestures and predicitive text, quick settings, new animations for multitask button strip, lock screen widgets, slight performance improvements.

Edit: @ poster above. From the lock screen,swipe to the left

thespot84

my buddy is having crazy batter issues with his update. Phone is using more juice than he can give it with a charger! Anyone else have any weirdness or issues?

Salaadin

Is 4.2 being slowly rolled out over Verizon yet or do I have to do something special to get it to pop? The last time I updated was for Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1 and I dont know if that prevents me from getting the new one OTA.

Top Bottom