• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I've been using my Galaxy Nexus and I don't like it. The screen is awful, software buttons are a mess, and the battery life is horrific. I really wish the Nexus 4 was available on Sprint because I know it's much better. I just sold it and bought an HTC Evo 4G LTE to tide me over until my contract is up in December and I get something beast like the (hopefully) Google Made phone or something else sexy.

Not to thread shit or anything, just saying.

Sky Chief

I got 4.2.2 this morning. Is there any way to have multiple lock screen widgets on the same screen? Seems like a big waste of screen space.

beat

My Rogers Galaxy Nexus just got 4.2.1 a couple of days ago. And ever since then, I'm averaging almost one hard crash per day. The screen suddenly goes black, and I can't turn it back on until I briefly pop the battery out and put it back. Anyone know what I can do to fix this without rooting it?
Nevermind. I found a partial solution on bug report forums. Apparently if it tries to do a brightness change during an animation, it'll go to black. The phone hasn't crashed, but it won't display anything. If you can navigate blind, you can power it off; otherwise do the battery thing.

The partial fix for this is to disable auto brightness and also set animations in the Dev Options menu (which is hidden in 4.2.1, yay) to not be 0.0 scale.

thespot84

I got 4.2.2 this morning. Is there any way to have multiple lock screen widgets on the same screen? Seems like a big waste of screen space.

afaik the design paradigm is that you can pull down for more info, which would preclude having multiple widgets on the same page

You guys need to get DashClock. It's a completely free replacement for your lock screen widget.

e2Ymlvp.png

It's very flexible and has a ton of extensions available for dl on the play store.

thespot84

You guys need to get DashClock. It's a completely free replacement for your lock screen widget.

e2Ymlvp.png

It's very flexible and has a ton of extensions available for dl on the play store.

first time i tried this is slowed down my phone a lot. Have you had any issues? Maybe since going to 4.2.2 it'll be better

first time i tried this is slowed down my phone a lot. Have you had any issues? Maybe since going to 4.2.2 it'll be better
My phone is still flying through everything like a hot knife through butter... Sorry to hear you're having issues. I know my phone was chugging along as my apps were updating to 4.2.2... But after I reset it again it began working perfectly. Try reinstalling it maybe?

Edit: wait what do you mean exactly? From what I know this is only available for 4.2+ devices. My GNexus was on 4.1.x up until this point so this is my first experience with DashClock.

thespot84

My phone is still flying through everything like a hot knife through butter... Sorry to hear you're having issues. I know my phone was chugging along as my apps were updating to 4.2.2... But after I reset it again it began working perfectly. Try reinstalling it maybe?

Edit: wait what do you mean exactly? From what I know this is only available for 4.2+ devices. My GNexus was on 4.1.x up until this point so this is my first experience with DashClock.

I'm using JDX for the gnex, i was on version 12.3 for a long time which wasn't 4.2.2 (i think it was 4.2.0), and the newest version is 4.2.2, so that's what I meant.

3phemeral

Just bought a Galaxy Nexus. Was thinking about getting the 4, but Thought I'd save $150 instead.

Congrats. This thread has't been very active since the 4 came out, though. I'll probably be in the for the Nexus 4 after my contract is up in December. Unless, of course, I have a more compelling reason not to.

Futureman

Just bought a Galaxy Nexus. Was thinking about getting the 4, but Thought I'd save $150 instead.

nearly everyone on here will try to convince you not to get a GNex and to go newer. I say it's still an amazing phone.

When I'm using it it's soooooo smooth. Love it. Everything feels great. Battery got better with 4.2.2. Use the $150 you saved towards a hobby!

nearly everyone on here will try to convince you not to get a GNex and to go newer. I say it's still an amazing phone.

When I'm using it it's soooooo smooth. Love it. Everything feels great. Battery got better with 4.2.2. Use the $150 you saved towards a hobby!

Did it? I'm still using 4.1 on my nexus just because my friend said his wifi tether stopped working on his rom on 4.2.2 so I haven't bothered to upgrade. But the battery is literally the only thing I'm not the craziest about on this phone.

thespot84

Did it? I'm still using 4.1 on my nexus just because my friend said his wifi tether stopped working on his rom on 4.2.2 so I haven't bothered to upgrade. But the battery is literally the only thing I'm not the craziest about on this phone.

it seems to be better yeah. Haven't done anything quantitative on it though.

I expect to get at least 1 more year out of my gnex.

Beezy

Um, so the Google Play store has been repeatedly crashing on my phone since the weekend and its annoying as hell. Anyone ever had or heard of this problem? The dialogue box keeps popping up when I'm just using my phone and not trying to access the play store.

Futureman

50% battery at 5 PM. Took off the charger at 7:45 AM.

Damn Goog, you did good w/ 4.2.2! Battery normally would have died or been near dead at this time.

reKon

Banned
50% battery at 5 PM. Took off the charger at 7:45 AM.

Damn Goog, you did good w/ 4.2.2! Battery normally would have died or been near dead at this time.

The app greenify + lean kernel helps, but really I've noticed that it's just my signal that kills the battery. If I leave data on in the office by accident, battery will die in less than 8 hours. I usually use up 12-18% on my way to work, browsing the internet and listening to music on my phone on the train.

Turning off mobile data and texting a few times a day without doing much on the phone, I lose like 20% through the day instead of the whole remaining battery when data is left on. So I'm wondering if I eventually get a new phone, if the lack of signal will kill the battery at the rate that it kills my GNex. And this is all with the 2100mAH battery. What I really look forward to is what my next phone will provide me with in on screen with 50% 3G and 50% 4G throughout the day.

bananas

Banned

I figured I'd save $150, and wait until the Nexus 5 at the end of the year. ;)

tirminyl

Um, so the Google Play store has been repeatedly crashing on my phone since the weekend and its annoying as hell. Anyone ever had or heard of this problem? The dialogue box keeps popping up when I'm just using my phone and not trying to access the play store.

This was happening to me for some reason so I cleared cache, data and then finally uninstalled all updates and re-installed. That seemed to fix my problem.

kinggroin

Banned
I've been using my Galaxy Nexus and I don't like it. The screen is awful, software buttons are a mess, and the battery life is horrific. I really wish the Nexus 4 was available on Sprint because I know it's much better. I just sold it and bought an HTC Evo 4G LTE to tide me over until my contract is up in December and I get something beast like the (hopefully) Google Made phone or something else sexy.

Not to thread shit or anything, just saying.

No prob. You're "just saying" wrong

;-P

No prob. You're "just saying" wrong

;-P

Is he? The battery life is quite literally awful, software buttons are an abortion on phones and should only be on tablets, and the screen does have a pretty visible screen-door effect due to the fact that it has a PenTile matrix. The PenTile matrix on the Gnex isn't very good at hiding the lack of all 3 subpixels per pixel, something that Samsung improved upon with a different subpixel layout in the Galaxy S III and even further with the GS4.

thespot84

Is he? The battery life is quite literally awful, software buttons are an abortion on phones and should only be on tablets, and the screen does have a pretty visible screen-door effect due to the fact that it has a PenTile matrix. The PenTile matrix on the Gnex isn't very good at hiding the lack of all 3 subpixels per pixel, something that Samsung improved upon with a different subpixel layout in the Galaxy S III and even further with the GS4.

1. battery life has been greatly improved in 4.2.2

2. I don't understand the problem with on screen buttons. And don't say they sacrifice screen real estate; in the same size phone hardware buttons would simply limit the size of the screen. I have been using on screen buttons for 18 months now and love it, both the functionality and the aesthetic. Tell me why I don't love it, please...

3. 99% of people, including myself, don't notice or don't give a shit about pentile matrices. (i'm in the latter camp)

My brother and 2 of my good friends have this phone, are not complete phone nerds, and love it now that the battery has been improved. Please tell me why this phone is bad, given the 3 points above, for 99% of the user-base at large?

1. battery life has been greatly improved in 4.2.2

Too little too late for me, I left my Gnex behind last November when I upgraded to a Galaxy Note II. I've thought about flashing 4.2.2 to mine just to look at it but the device is basically mothballed at this point.

2. I don't understand the problem with on screen buttons. And don't say they sacrifice screen real estate; in the same size phone hardware buttons would simply limit the size of the screen. I have been using on screen buttons for 18 months now and love it, both the functionality and the aesthetic. Tell me why I don't love it, please...

It fucks up the screen aspect ratio for games and watching videos. Some video players will hide the buttons during playback, all games generally did not during my Gnex ownership period. The buttons also cause horrendous burn-in on the Gnex's AMOLED screen, because unlike the Notification bar which moves when you rotate the phone, the bar used for the buttons is there forever when the screen is on. Eventually video players which hide the buttons will reveal a strip of screen which is a different brightness than the rest of the screen with the buttons burned in permanently.

Also, Samsung has demonstrated already that a phone with hardware buttons can still have almost no bezel on the top and bottom beyond what is required to house the cameras, earpiece, and microphones. The argument that hardware buttons take up space that would otherwise be used for screen is disproved when you look at the Note II and Galaxy S4.

3. 99% of people, including myself, don't notice or don't give a shit about pentile matrices. (i'm in the latter camp)

The quality of your vision is not my concern, nor is your claim that "99%" of people don't notice or care about PenTile which is not backed by any kind of statistical data supporting the claim.

My brother and 2 of my good friends have this phone, are not complete phone nerds, and love it now that the battery has been improved. Please tell me why this phone is bad, given the 3 points above, for 99% of the user-base at large?

Why would someone who is not a "phone nerd" choose a Nexus device and stock Android over an OEM-skinned device in the first place? This is something that Google does need to work on, especially with the Nexus 4 which is precisely the kind of device a "phone nerd" would want but so many limitations like tiny non-expandable storage, bad battery life, and overheating issues limit the usage that a "phone nerd" would want out of it. Nexus devices are supposed to be the premier "phone nerd" devices, not devices for people who barely use their phones.

kinggroin

Banned

1) My response to him was somewhat tongue-in-cheek hence the winky face.

2) Only geeks like us actually see the pentile arrangement of the GNEXUS display. Many of these geeks don't care (I just want something with great black levels, good enough sharpness for the size, and good saturation). Don't care about ISF calibrated phone displays, though I admit the S3 does have nicer whites than the GNEXUS.

3) You hate the philosophy behind software buttons (original poster seems to as well, which makes him wanting a Nexus 4 a bit confusing), so there's nothing really to talk about here. I love their flexibility and allowing the navigation of a biggish display to be more comfortable. Closest thing to having my cake and eating it too IMO. It also means the face of the phone doesn't look as tacky.

Also, touchwiz is a fucking abomination (present on the biggest phones on the market, yet Samsung still has its UI tab based - fuck that shit), and AOSP still has too many issues to make it viable as a daily driver on the galaxy S and note line of phones.

Edit: To be fair, I can see where your use case means that what I consider positives for this device, you consider negatives. I don't watch movies (YouTube at most) and play very little games.

KiKaL

So are most of you with Verizon GNex running Custom roms still or did you return back to stock with the 4.2.2 release?

Salaadin

Latest CM 10.1 Nightly.

I dont know if youll know the answer to this, but I just installed CM 10.1 Nightly and cant get google music to auto-start when bluetooth is detected.

My car speakers have bluetooth capability and, on vanilla 4.1, I would just get in my car and my phone would start streaming my google music over the speakers. Doesnt work anymore.
I have "start default music play when headset is detected" checked on and the phone is paired up perfectly.

I see there is an app the enables this so maybe Ill use that in the meantime.

3phemeral

Not had a single crash or Force Close in the five days I've been using it. Very impressed so far.

Just wondering how PA is going for you since it's been a bit longer. I have XenonHD and CM10.1 downloaded because I'm about to flash a new ROM, but I'm wondering what you think of PA since some time has past.

[edit] I just noticed you posted you're using the latest cm10.1 nightly, so I'll take that as a hint. :)

Just wondering how PA is going for you since it's been a bit longer. I have XenonHD and CM10.1 downloaded because I'm about to flash a new ROM, but I'm wondering what you think of PA since some time has past.

[edit] I just noticed you posted you're using the latest cm10.1 nightly, so I'll take that as a hint. :)

Yeah, switched back to CM after some performance/battery issues.

3phemeral

Yeah, switched back to CM after some performance/battery issues.

I was having issues with AOKP after I posted that query about what ROMs other people were using. The newest version of AOKP was running fine initially, but it started to get super slow. What prompted me to change it a few days ago was I was showing a friend something on my phone (who's an iPhone user) and he was curious about an app I was talking about; took literally ten seconds to go from the lock screen to the home screen, then another 6 to get into marketplace (I was counting). That was even after culling features on my homescreen to minimize memory and widget usage (two home screens, action launcher, only essential apps installed).

I flashed the latest CM and it's been 90% smooth so far. Just hope performance doesn't degrade over time. Battery life is better than what I remember, way better. I'm used to my phone dropping 30 percent in an hour these days because I can't figure out what's causing it. Forgot to plug in my phone at work and was tethering off of it for an hour - only dropped 15%.

So far so good. Just have to kill that crack-flash mentality. That's what gets me into trouble.

Avtomat

Is the concensus that cyanogenmod is the best ROM out there I am currently running stock and would ideally stay on stock but mybphone refuses to connect to hsapa+ when I know my carrier supports it (giffgaff /O2 in the UK)so I intend to go the custom ROM route to see if anything changes.

GNex getting stock Key Lime Pie, yes or no? Of course we don't know yet but what do you guys think is likely? Nexus S got 4.0 so I'm hoping the Galaxy can get a similar treatment. If not I better start saving for a new phone.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Is the concensus that cyanogenmod is the best ROM out there I am currently running stock and would ideally stay on stock but mybphone refuses to connect to hsapa+ when I know my carrier supports it (giffgaff /O2 in the UK)so I intend to go the custom ROM route to see if anything changes.

I'm running CM10.1 M3 now. It is very nice. I'm having some issues, but I'm not sure they are related to 4.2, CM10.1 or neither. It seems like when I run too many apps or one bg one, when I exit back to the home screen the icons and widgets are gone for a few seconds. There is a general latency issue when swiping or doing other stuff, but it comes and goes, I'm trying o find the cause.

reKon

Banned
I'm running CM10.1 M3 now. It is very nice. I'm having some issues, but I'm not sure they are related to 4.2, CM10.1 or neither. It seems like when I run too many apps or one bg one, when I exit back to the home screen the icons and widgets are gone for a few seconds. There is a general latency issue when swiping or doing other stuff, but it comes and goes, I'm trying o find the cause.

Are you using the stock launcher or Nova Launcher?

Karish

So my iPhone 5's glass broke, and my girlfriend is lending me her Nexus (she went to the Note 2 recently). I'm excited to check out Android for the first time really. Can someone give me a few links to get started with tricking it out? I get the basics...

thespot84

So my iPhone 5's glass broke, and my girlfriend is lending me her Nexus (she went to the Note 2 recently). I'm excited to check out Android for the first time really. Can someone give me a few links to get started with tricking it out? I get the basics...

here's a good start:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491097

Anything you can do on android you can do on the nexus, so that's why I linked to the Android OT.

Top Bottom