• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Turns 20

Dorga

It was 20 years ago this month that Nintendo released the brainchild of Gunpei Yokoi, the Game Boy. No one can deny the clunky, pea-soup charm of the single most successful portable gaming device to date.

Gameboy.jpg

Jeremy Parish at 1UP sums up the system quite nicely, and he brings up a poignant discussion on how it parallels Nintendo's current strategy as far as technology choice goes. Read it here:
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8985103&publicUserId=5379721

What were your favorite GB/GBC games? I'll always revere Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening as my personal favorite. I'll also never forget the wild fire that was Pokemon Red and Blue. Finally, there's Tetris.

AniHawk

1. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
3. Warioland 2
4. Tetris
5. Pokemon Red
6. Kirby's Dream Land 2
7. Super RC Pro-Am
8. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
9. Kirby's Pinball Land
10. Return of the Jedi

I wound up with somewhere around 36 games for the system, from 1994-2001 (when I started getting GBA games instead of GB/GBC games). For a while, it was the only thing I had that was current. The only home console we had from 1989-1997 was an Atari 7800, so the Game Boy was my shot to play "current" games like Donkey Kong Land and the like.

I didn't like the GBA as much. By then, Nintendo was porting a lot more stuff, but they still made some good games for the thing. It was mostly IntSys doing all the work.

CTLance

Ooooh yeah, the brick. I don't even want to know how many batteries I've sacrificed to this abdominable monstrosity over the years.

Links Awakening has got to be my favourite game on the system. So good.

Fox the Sly

I remember playing hours and hours of Tetris as a kid and wondering what kind of shenanigans goes on in those Russian castles. :lol I actually stole it [Game Boy] from this kid named Louis in second grade because he was somewhat of a bully and because he wouldn't let me play with it. I was a good kid though, I swear. :lol

Favorite games:

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Super Mario Land
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan
Tetris

I didn't own too many games for the original Game Boy, unfortunately.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I had a Game Boy Color, Game Gear, and Game Boy Advance, but I never really thought any of them were worth it in the end and hardly ever played any of them outside of the 14-hour car trips that my family would take to visit relatives twice a year. I don't really think portable games were that great until the DS came around and hit its stride.

That said, Tetris and Pokemon are hard to argue against.

The Gameboy was ACE. I LOVED the special edition clear one. Standout games I played:

Tetris
Galaga
Galaxian
Pokemon Blue - The last game I got addicted to before quitting gaming for ~8 years.

My next handheld would be the greatest system ever devised, the DS (or as I like to call it, the SNES 2).

BikoBiko

Link's Adventure DX, Wario Land 3, Super Mario Land 2, Rayman and Donkey Kong Land were all the games I had and loved them all :D

Gabyskra

Banned
mysticquestyw1.jpg

Gamover-Mystic_Quest&15.jpg

Mystic Quest, or Seiken Densetsu 1, or Final Fantasy Adventure in the US...

In my top 10 of all time. Just mind blowing.

D3RANG3D

I love the Game Boy my parents bought it for me with Castlevania 2 Belmont's Revenge out of the blue, which they never did!

The games I owned

Links Awakening
Kirby's Dream Land
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Metroid 2
MK1 (LOL)
Operation C
Baseball

I don't even remember what happened to my GB though :(

Mostly good article, but a couple of corrections...

It's interesting to note that when Nintendo strays from the underlying philosophy of the Game Boy, trying to compete on raw power alone, it rarely succeeds: the Super NES only outsold the Genesis because of Sega's incompetence, the N64 barely squeaked into second place against the Saturn, and the GameCube was assumed by most to be a sure sign of Nintendo's looming demise. Once the company stopped trying to keep up with the competition and instead returned to making systems that, like Game Boy, were merely good enough, its fortunes quickly turned around.

The N64 outsold the Saturn 3-to-1 worldwide, and over 10-to-1 in the US. That's not "barely". The overall point stands -- that is, that the N64 competed with the Playstation and Saturn technically but got crushed by the PSX, and Nintendo has never won by pushing tech -- but the comparison should be to the PSX, not Saturn.

Probably correct about the SNES vs. Genesis, of course; Sega was losing steam anyway thanks to Donkey Kong Country, but had they not so horribly mismanaged things, they would indeed have had a much better chance of holding the lead, I'm sure.

Four AA batteries could run a Game Boy for 15 hours or longer, making it the perfect accompaniment for a long car trip.

Where DID this number come from? I've seen it around the internet before, but it's completely wrong. The Game Boy actually gets about 40(or perhaps 35-40, at minimum) hours out of a set of 4 AA batteries, not 15. That's a big difference! (If you need proof, read the manual; like with the Virtual Boy, the average estimated battery life is listed there.)

It's the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance (original mode) that get 12-15 hours out of their 2 AA batteries. The original GB has better battery life than that, overall and per battery.

Anyway, the original GB is of course one of my favorite consoles. The Game Boy was the first console I owned myself, and I loved it. The GB and GBC were the only consoles I owned before September 1999, in fact, when I got an N64... I was mostly a PC gamer, but aside from when I was playing a friends' system, my console gaming at home was on the GB.

I don't have a huge GB collection, just 39 games (32 original GB games, 2 second copies of original GB games, and 5 dual-mode GB/GBC games). Still, it includes a lot of great ones, and the original GB is still perhaps my favorite console... its platformers are easily my favorite, for sure, and Link's Awakening is my favorite handheld game ever, but it is admittedly weak in RPGs and strategy games... still, the Game Boy is a great, great console with a large library of good games. There are plenty more I don't have but would like to get...

Favorites:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
3. Kirby's Dream Land 2
4. Gradius: The Interstellar Assault
5. Final Fantasy Adventure
6. Donkey Kong '94
7. Micro Machines
8. Kirby's Pinball Land
9. Mole Mania
10. R-Type DX (GB/C) (sure, no saving on GB, unlike the new GBC modes... still, it's R-Type!)

Honorable mentions: Too many to note... Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land 2 (GB/C), Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Block Ball, Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge, Mega Man IV, Mega Man V, Survival Kids (GB/C), Bomberman GB, Gargoyle's Quest, Bionic Commando, and more...

Sure, now I have a GBA, GB Player, Super Game Boy... but still, I still use the original, green-screen GB sometimes. It's still a great console, it's very durable, gets fantastic battery life, many games look and play fine... some are tough to play (Donkey Kong Land's blurriness, for instance), but I just play those on SGB. Others I play on SGB to get the special SGB features... but the original system is special. :)

CTLance

Gabyskra said:
Heh, yeah, that was a good game. The part where you have to walk around those palm trees to get a dungeon to open blew my mind back then. And poor robotic legs chocobo. Plenty of fun, and a nice story to boot. Swords of Mana utterly butchered it. Brrrr.

CTLance said:
Heh, yeah, that was a good game. The part where you have to walk around those palm trees to get a dungeon to open blew my mind back then. And poor robotic legs chocobo. Plenty of fun, and a nice story to boot. Swords of Mana utterly butchered it. Brrrr.

That puzzle was the only thing about that game that had me totally stuck... I had to look up a guide on the internet to finish it. Fortunately, I only got the game in 1999, I believe, so I could do that... earlier, I'd have just gotten stuck there unless I could have found a game guide somewhere.

Mostly the game is amazing, but stuff like that, or how it's possible to get permanently stuck if you mess up (get too deep in some dungeons without enough keys) are issues. I always carried plenty of keys, though. And as its place on my list shows, I think it's fantastic... it's still one of the best games in the Mana series for sure.

Dougald said:
Tetris is the only portable game you'll ever need

This, i remeber getting mine playing tetris on it was mind blowing at the time. Even when gamegear and its fancy screen came out it never had the charm of the gameboy and tetris and a portable mario.

CTLance

Freck, now I have the "roaming" music from FFA stuck in my head. On the other hand... chiptuney goodness. Mmmmmh.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This brings back memories of Warioland and me finding a copy of Metroid under my bed FOR NO REASON IN THE WORLD. I never bought the game or heard of it before :lol

I dug my old GameBoy out a few months ago and the screen is almost dead, but I turned it on with Pokemon Gold inside and it gave me that familiar tune which was kickass.

Sadist

Love you forever! <3 <3

I love my Gameboy. Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening is the best handheld game ever.

Agalloch

It looks beautiful and sexy 16-18 years ago,
and to me looks beautiful even today.
And games like Super Mario Land 2, 3 Wario Land, Link's Awakening and Mistic Quest
are some of my favourites of all times.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Fuck I'm old :lol . Link's Awakening is love, hope it's distributed through the DSiware soon.

Gabyskra said:
mysticquestyw1.jpg

Gamover-Mystic_Quest&15.jpg

Once, I was playing this game for the second time but I had to go to diner so I saved my game. I saved in the airship, in the room where the fence with the bouncing wolves was. And guess what, I was trapped behind the same fence when I turned my GB back on :lol

Had to start all over.

It's such a shame that the GBA remake was such a mess. Here's hoping for GB VC on DSi.

Krelian

This thread makes me want to play Link's Awaking again :lol
I got my first Game Boy in '92 I think. Oh god, that's so long ago :/ Was a fine and reliable machine, though, and still works to this day. I don't remember if I ever finished Mystic Quest, but I had fun with it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Notorious_Roy said:
Once, I was playing this game for the second time but I had to go to diner so I saved my game. I saved in the airship, in the room where the fence with the bouncing wolves was. And guess what, I was trapped behind the same fence when I turned my GB back on :lol

Had to start all over.

It's such a shame that the GBA remake was such a mess. Here's hoping for GB VC on DSi.
Yeah, the game was really awesome. But fuck was it bugged. I think I got upto the chocobo part but never knew what to do next.

Wario Land II is another favorite, countless hours on that one.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Teetris said:
Yeah, the game was really awesome. But fuck was it bugged. I think I got upto the chocobo part but never knew what to do next.

Wario Land II is another favorite, countless hours on that one.
You had to do a figure 8 around two trees to get to the next area.
I love that game so much. I'd pick up the Japanese version if it didn't cost 4 times that of Seiken Densetsu 4. Jesus christ... around $40US for a GB game.

Gazunta

I owe a lot of my career to that system. Nobody covered GB games when I started GBHQ, nobody paid much attention to it after the initial success...and then Pokemon happened and I rode its coat tails all the way to success :p still and awesome system, God knows how many versions of it I ended up buying!

Still need a GB Micro :(

I bought a GameBoy about a year before Color was released, and I did enjoy it. But I upgraded to Color as soon as it became a possibility, and that was when I truly began to enjoy portable gaming.

VAIL

I got one the day it came out, so many good memories. Even when I had a Lynx and a Turbo Express down the road, the Gameboy still got a lot of attention, batteries that just never seemed to die, and so many great games.

I salute you like system, you are now a MAN

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't deny what the gameboy did for portable gaming, but the original one was shit.

For me at least, it might as well have been a tetris game and watch as that was pretty much the only game playable on that screen. Anything that moved just fucking disappeared, making most games just unplayable

painey

it was 20 years ago today
Yokoi taught the world to play
its been going in and out of style
but its guaranteed to raise a smile
so let me introduce to you
the only thing you need in your hand
green and grey screened Nintendo game boy, maaaaahaahaan!

nli10

Happy Birthday GB. I remember its release and thinking that the Game Gear was so much better and that I'd get that to go with my lovely MegaDrive. The GameBoy was for people who were not really that into gaming and didn't want the propper full games in my 9 year old opinion :lol

Then I played them...

Eventually (years later) got a paper round and saved up and bought the GB and SML for £35ish. Then later on Links Awakening and Wario Land, Pokemon etc...

The GB is responsible for my long love of hand held gaming (well that and our families G&W) and me turning my back on SEGA for Nintendo. And my paper round I guess!

And tonight I go and get a DSi to celebrate. :)

Flek

Banned
Happy B-Day Game Boy. You where my first contact to handheld gaming <3

Oh and i bought a DSi on your birthday ... i know its cruel :( Iam sory GB :(

EctoPrime

I remember that in only a few years after getting my first Gameboy I must have played over 80 games from swapping them with other people in school. Those plastic cart cases served a great purpose with everyone sticking the carts in their pockets after lunch.
Then along comes someone with a multicart and it starts a bidding war with students offering up the latest and greatest game they own, I ended up playing Donkey Kong Land 3 way before it was released. Pity the game must have been some leaked copy because it had only a few levels and ran in slow motion all the time.

I always did think it was cool the way the screen would fade away after it was turned off.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
20 hour plane trips to India went by like THAT.

I remember beating Link's Awakening while sitting around a huge boring-ass sari shop with my parents. I fucking flipped out when all the instruments began to play together... I also remember Pokemon, of course, and Tetris, the best game ever.

Top Bottom