• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Turns 20

senahorse

eYRqZnTQl.jpg

I died a little inside when I realised it was a hoax :( But the GBA version of mario kart more than made up for it. :D

I know we aren't allowed magazine scans, but a photo of an old article is alright?

Sleeker

AzureJericho said:
Pokemon Blue was Pokemon Red for pussies. The difficulty was really changed in both games surprisingly enough. Besides, Red had Growlithe and by extension, Arcanine. Discussion over. :lol

Red 4 life

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kobun Heat said:
Everybody's still works.

I don't know about that... the classic Game Boy had one particular problem... missing lines of pixels. Even the war damaged, half-melted Game Boy is missing a pixel...

I've seen Game Boy units in which enough pixel lines were dead that most games were essentially unplayable. Granted, the underlying hardware was fine, but the screen was a different matter.

Jazzem

I ended up playing 3-4 hours of Link's Awakening this past evening because of this thread :lol

I loved and still love the original Game Boy. Even today it's such a fun device to play, screen blurriness and all. It was great to group with with as everyone that age had one, so I was always borrowing games off friends and vice versa. I loved the Game Boy Color as well and grew very attached to it, but looking back the original GB did have a better games lineup. My top ten:

1) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2) Pokémon Blue
3) Donkey Kong Land 2
4) Super Mario Land
5) Super Mario Land 2
6) Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
7) Kirby's Dreamland
8) Snoopy's Magic Show (Really great and somewhat underrated puzzle/maze game, kind of like a more actiony Adventures of Lolo)
9) Tiny Toons Adventures: Wacky Sports
10) Donkey Kong Land

Honourable Rubbish-game-that-I-grew-up-with mention: Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

I definitely need to track down some of the games listed in this thread. Keeping an eye on a bid for Duck Tales :)

Tobor

When I got my Game Boy in 1989 I was 13 years old. What an awesome time to be a young geek. The thought of having a portable NES to have with me at all times, it blew my late 80's mind.

My habit of playing portable games while watching tv or relaxing started way back then, and I've never really stopped. To this day a perfect lazy afternoon is sitting on the deck with a nice glass of something and a Nintendo handheld.

All hail the Spinach Screen.

I had a brick once, but the batteries corroded. I still have my Color, though, and I still play Pokemon Gold on it (the only one of my Pokemon games I can still play: I lost my Yellow and Crystal versions, and my (well actually my brother's) Silver version had its save function die). My Gameboy was pretty much my only source of gaming for most of my life, until recently. My first game on it was Super Mario Land II: Six Golden Coins. I was like 6 when I played it. I remember making a map (with markers, of course) of a level I wanted to see put into that game, and I even had my parents send it to Nintendo, and Nintendo even sent me something back! I think it was just a typical corporate reply letter and promotional materials, but I thought it was cool at the time. Anyway, good memories with my Gameboy...

Shoogoo

cooljeanius said:
I had a brick once, but the batteries corroded. I still have my Color, though, and I still play Pokemon Gold on it (the only one of my Pokemon games I can still play: I lost my Yellow and Crystal versions, and my (well actually my brother's) Silver version had its save function die). My Gameboy was pretty much my only source of gaming for most of my life, until recently. My first game on it was Super Mario Land II: Six Golden Coins. I was like 6 when I played it. I remember making a map (with markers, of course) of a level I wanted to see put into that game, and I even had my parents send it to Nintendo, and Nintendo even sent me something back! I think it was just a typical corporate reply letter and promotional materials, but I thought it was cool at the time. Anyway, good memories with my Gameboy...

:D touching.

I spent most of my youth on a Game Boy too. I was playing the snes at my cousin's house and N64 and ps1 at friends house.

vareon

I brought it on family trip. I snuck it on school. I fought with my brothers on who'll play Wario Land now. I searched my across country, look far and wide, to seek the legendary game called "Pokemon Red" only to find a "Pocket Monsters Green" and bought it even though I can't read Japanese. It has to be confiscated by my parents to stop me from playing it. I've wasted thousands of batteries only to keep the little thing powered. I got angry if someone else played it because I was afraid that it would be broken.

Such an amazing device.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
I played the crap out of 3 games on that beast...

Gargoyle's Quest
Home Alone
Mega Man (2?... think it was just called Megaman - Blade / Clash / Wood etc...)

Jesus H. Christ I ran those games into the ground.

CassSept

AzureJericho said:
Pokemon Blue was Pokemon Red for pussies. The difficulty was really changed in both games surprisingly enough. Besides, Red had Growlithe and by extension, Arcanine. Discussion over. :lol
Yeah, if you liked playing with flowers.
Blue has VICTREEBELL, which is obviously >>...>>> Vileplume, thus making your statement invalid.

<.<

m3k

such an awesome machine... so many good games (and alot of trash lols), heres hoping for vc support someday

zelda 4, super mario land 2, the megaman games are probably my picks but i've probably played more games on the gameboy than every other system and enjoyed most of them

ahhhh the greenish yellow and black display is charming to me :lol

edit: i feel sorry for the batteries i wasted playing the thing :(
i wish i had just saved up for a charger or rechargeble batteries... we live in priveledged times

Probably one of the worst systems ive ever bought. Ive never regretted buying a gaming system as much as the orignal gameboy. Not because it was the worst ive bought, but when i bought i litterary blew my entire savings.

When the gb was new there where very few good games, many of them incl the first mario land where pretty much glorified game and watch games.

And the goddamned screen was barely readable, with crazy smearing. What a mess.

Honestly the first decent gb was gb pocket. Before that they where borderline unplayable.

BooJoh

Itsintheairtonight said:
Probably one of the worst systems ive ever bought. Ive never regretted buying a gaming system as much as the orignal gameboy. Not because it was the worst ive bought, but when i bought i litterary blew my entire savings.

When the gb was new there where very few good games, many of them incl the first mario land where pretty much glorified game and watch games.

And the goddamned screen was barely readable, with crazy smearing. What a mess.

Honestly the first decent gb was gb pocket. Before that they where borderline unplayable.
Speaking of barely readable... >.> The best part is you almost used the word "literary" in there, even if you didn't mean to. I hope English is your... fifth or sixth language.

(And yes, I'm also just peeved that you dissed the 'Boy. :p)

Today marks the GB's 20th year for the US. I loved mine, and because of it I've been a handheld gamer ever since.

I made my mediocre contribution to the celebration in the form of a web comic:

20090731-252.png

Top Bottom