• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Can we remove the stupid helmets like we could n ME1? Cause the decision to not let you do that was plain dumb!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Confidence Man said:
Alright, but at the end of ME2 they're still way the hell out in intergalactic space. When does Arrival take place?

Arrival pretty much implies that they just flew back.

EatChildren said:

Yeah pretty much. I'm pretty sure the system you fly to in Arrival is waaay to the south of the galaxy (I couldn't find it at first on the map, since nothing was ever that low), so I guess they could have just flown back believably.

Shake Appeal said:
Mass Effect 2 is Vanguard PC, Miranda, and Thane.

I thought everyone knew this, but apparently Bioware don't.

My exact same setup.

Miranda > Ashley.

Definitely like what I've read so far, especially No Multiplayer.

EatChildren said:
Now I'm wondering, if you beat Arrival before the Suicide Mission, does it still show the "Reapers approaching the galaxy from far away"-cutscene?

Grisby

Aw yeah, those details sound great.

I'm hoping you get all of the squad mates to come back in some form though. That's great that Ash is returning and there are some more, ahem, rpg elements.

Exciting times.

MechaX

I'll have to admit, the details did alleviate some of the worries I had for ME3.

I wasn't expecting the RPG elements to go back to a ME1 extreme, but it's good that the ME team has actually listened to the complaints and are ramping up the RPG elements a bit more.

I'm also glad that the squadmates I actually give a damn about are confirmed right off the bat (Liara, Garrus, Mordin, Legion, Wrex, I guess Ashley, and hopefully Tali).

Surprise surprise, the super secret pro-human organization known for inhumane experimentation and extreme compulsions for isolated groups to go off on maniacal SCIENCE! tangents actually do end up being a maniacal SCIENCE! group out to kill Shepard in ME3. Again. Oh well, fuck Cerberus.

All the ME team needs to do is actually have a decent main story (adding an actual antagonist character that doesn't just assume direct control and proclaim singularities to the face will hurt you would be a significant step up) and basically see everything the DA2 team did and not do it.

Confidence Man said:
Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade.
i dread the future ad campaigns for this game. like a pixar movie, marketing is going to destroy my impression of what to expect

Grisby

Shit though, I hope Tali and Miranda come back as squaddies. I loved their respective attacks.

Also, I'm waiting for my mag but is Ashely really that different? She had a nice under sexualized design in 1 and 2. Oh, and it is a bit weird that Liara is coming back as I thought she would just be helping you from the sidelines.

Ashsturm

Ashley back as a party member would be great. It seems the Collectors were big into sexism during my playthrough of ME2 and were determined to make the post-game Normandy a complete sausagefest

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Grisby said:
Shit though, I hope Tali and Miranda come back as squaddies. I loved their respective attacks.

Also, I'm waiting for my mag but is Ashely really that different? She had a nice under sexualized design in 1 and 2. Oh, and it is a bit weird that Liara is coming back as I thought she would just be helping you from the sidelines.

Her suit is tighter, her tits are huge, and her hair is out.

Speaking of which, there's a screenshot of Ashley with her hair down, and she actually looks hot.

I saw this in the OP and I didn't pause to read anything else.

YES

THANK YOU BIOWARE

FOR REWARDING MY LOYALTY

ezekial45 said:
Happy to see that weapon mods are back, and also bringing back more of the RPG mechanics is great thing.

I don't know that they're bringing back more RPG "mechanics". Expanded skill trees are welcome, but if the skills are just the same redacted list of abilities from 2 it's not going to be much of an improvement.

Messi

Feeling bad for cheating on liara now, with Jack of all people. Was trying to keep my options open and she jumped me :).

But I also had some fun in shadow broker, how will my pimpish antics affect ME3 I wonder.

Clockblockers said:
Was ME 2 considered a success then?

Not if it sold less, though like it was said we haven't got new numbers in forever. There was a time after release where it had sold less though.

Confidence Man said:
I don't know that they're bringing back more RPG "mechanics". Expanded skill trees are welcome, but if the skills are just the same redacted list of abilities from 2 it's not going to be much of an improvement.

Yeah let's pump the brakes on the celebration of bringing back RPG elements. It's far too early to know exactly what they're doing, and the thing even said it wasn't going as far back as ME1 which wasn't THAT much of a RPG to begin with. Just compared to ME2, it made 1 look like Baldur's Gate

Dennis

Banned
Just as important is the return of the bigger and more open levels from the first game.

ME2 had small corridor levels. So boring. And they had ugly grimdark visual design as well.

The first game had luscious green and watery alien worlds.

Patryn

Confidence Man said:

The big tell is: Universal or Individual cooldown?

sam27368

Banned
Clockblockers said:
Was ME 2 considered a success then?
It was a critical success, but I'm not sure if it sold more. I don't think the numbers have ever been released.

Mass Effect 3 actually sounds really cool! If anyone can balance out the RPG and Shooter elements then BioWare will definitely be one of the best devs to do it considering the amount of input they've had on the last two iterations.

Little disappointed about the fact that the team mates that survived won't be all coming back in ME3 as squaddies, kinda makes ME2 feel slightly redundant. But then again it could mean going back and recruiting not only Tali, but the entire goddamn Flotilla to come and help out.

[/QUOTE]
Damn Shepard has such a feminine body in ME1.

Kurtofan

DennisK4 said:
Just as important is the return of the bigger and more open levels from the first game.

ME2 had small corridor levels. So boring. And they had ugly grimdark visual design as well.

http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect2009-09-0112ojpt.jpg[/im][/url]

[url=http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=masseffect2009-09-0116rj3e.jpg][img]http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect2009-09-0116rj3e.jpg[/ig][/ul][/QUOTE]
There's only Virmire as luscious green and watery alien world.

kitzkozan

Lakitu said:
ME 2 has sold less than ME 1.

Irrelevant and you know it. :p The 1.6 million was the last official number, but it's much more than that at this point.

Last official number for Mortal Kombat versus DC was 1.9 million copies shipped (over 1 or 2 years ago), and Ed Boon said in a recent interview that it's now at 2.5 million shipped. A fighting game with no hype, mediocre reviews and no tournament play at that...

ME2 has surely passed ME at this point and don't be surprised if Bioware drop 3 + million sold in the future.

EatChildren

I love Mass Effect as much as the next guy, but it has to be this generation's best candidate for some seriously mental revisionist history from the fans.

Patryn

kitzkozan said:
Irrelevant and you know it. :p The 1.6 million was the last official number, but it's much more than that at this point.

Last official number for Mortal Kombat versus DC was 1.9 million copies shipped (over 1 or 2 years ago), and Ed Boon said in a recent interview that it's now at 2.5 million shipped. A fighting game with no hype, mediocre reviews and no tournament play at that...

ME2 has surely passed ME at this point and don't be surprised if Bioware drop 3 + million sold in the future.

But EA and Bioware may also consider that it may have taken adding an entire new platform to bring it above ME1.

EatChildren said:
I love Mass Effect as much as the next guy, but it has to be this generation's best candidate for some seriously mental revisionist history from the fans.

In what way do you mean?

I don't know if the RPG elements are going to comeback.

At least IMO i don't like math dictating my shots, when i know i'm aiming at the head.

I think Bioware set the path on how the game is going to play with ME2.

More inventory options would be welcome. But looking at DA2, that may not happen.

Shepard isn't going to have time to explore lush alien worlds.

REAPRES ARE ATTACKING ERF WE GOTTA... oooh look at this pretty planet. Tali, you want to go for a picnic? <3

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
Absolutely not.

Mass Effect was a modern masterpiece of epic proportions with fantastic techno-optimist sci-fi visual design.

Mass Effect 2 was OK.

gdt

EatChildren said:

Absofuckinglutely.

The Mako, the inventory, the ammo, combat, etc, alllllllllllllllllllllllllll that stuff was hated. Soon as ME2 is out, that nostalgia kicks in.

Now, I know some people liked that stuff (I clearly remember it), but it's still there.

kitzkozan

DennisK4 said:

Those pics aren't helping in convincing me. I'm sorry to say, Bioware is nowhere close to having the best artists in the videogame industry. I played ME recently and the world building is mediocre at best. Sterile, bland and empty areas for the most part.

Gravijah

gdt5016 said:
Absofuckinglutely.

The Mako, the inventory, the ammo, combat, etc, alllllllllllllllllllllllllll that stuff was hated. Soon as ME2 is out, that nostalgia kicks in.

Now, I know some people liked that stuff (I clearly remember it), but it's still there.

I didn't hate any of that stuff. :(

EatChildren

Patryn said:
In what way do you mean?

Mostly the "Mass Effect was more colourful!" arguments that are thrown around, which was basically just Virmire and some of the uncharted worlds. Or the arguments that Mass Effect was more open and the levels were so much better and all that shit.

I mean, it's valid to a point to be sure, but Noveria? That's text book copy/paste corridor running if I've ever seen it. Outside of the Rachni it was, by far, my least favourite place in ME1. Feros was great, but it too was mostly just corridors.

DennisK4 said:
Absolutely not.

Mass Effect was a modern masterpiece of epic proportions with fantastic techno-optimist sci-fi visual design.

Mass Effect 2 was OK.

Therum = Red and brown.
Noveria = White and grey.
Feros = Brown.

Virmire, Ilos, and maybe the Citadel if you want to throw it in were literally the only story based 'lush alien worlds'. Everything else was brown, grey, brown, more brown, some black, and some lava for good measure.

Stating that Mass Effect had more lush alien worlds, colour wise, isn't true.

Lord-Audie said:
I don't know if the RPG elements are going to comeback.

At least IMO i don't like math dictating my shots, when i know i'm aiming at the head.

I don't either, in fact I hate that. But they can certainly take the combat system from 2 and put a good RPG around it. There's many other factors to a RPG than dice roll combat.

gdt

Gravijah said:
I didn't hate any of that stuff. :(

I actually kinda liked the way the Mako handled! All those planet missions were boring as sin, but I liked the feel of the Mako. Didn't miss it too much though.

Patryn

DennisK4 said:
Absolutely not. Mass Effect was a modern masterpiece of epic proportions with fantastic techno-optimist sci-fi visual design.

Mass Effect 2 was OK.

No, Mass Effect was a flawed gem that had some fucking fantastic ideas and crazy amounts of ambition that were hampered by both performance and design problems.

ME2 massively scaled back the ideas and ambition to improve performance, removing most of the existing flaws, but arguably introduced several new design flaws.

Basically a lot of the divide is whether you value ambition or execution.

Personally, I'm firmly in the ambition category. That's why ME1 is my favorite game. Ever.

gdt5016 said:
I actually kinda liked the way the Mako handled! All those planet missions were boring as sin, but I liked the feel of the Mako. Didn't miss it too much though.

I will always say that the Mako's problem was less the actual vehicle and more Bioware's inane need to hide stuff behind sheer cliffs, frustrating people.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
gdt5016 said:
Absofuckinglutely.

What ammo?

And yes, Mass Effect's inventory, frequent loading, Mako controls and combat were total shit on 360. It was all improved on PC, surprisingly. I went through ME1 on Xbox last month and I totally understand where the complaints came from. It was bad. But at least I got to use Garrus in my party without barfing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom