• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

RedSwirl

If GZ is as open-ended as Kojima boasts it to be, I don't think "two hours" can be taken as such a linear and absolute figure.

And to be fair, Gone Home can be completed in two hours (actually about a minute if you want to split hairs) and debuted at $20.

Isn't Paz an optional objective? I thought the achievement said rendezvous with chico or paz

No rescuing both seems pretty important cutscene related. Basically you get a trophy for reaching the first person, and a second trophy for finishing the mission (getting the other person) You can decide who you get first.

Epcott

So now its not 4 hours but 2 for the main mission? If it was 4, I could justify paying $30 for a game half as long as a normal MGS game (8 hours). But for a 2 hour game?

/laughingcowboygif.

shandy706

Anyone that buys this and says anything about $20-$40 arcade (downloadable) games on these new consoles being too much or a rip-off, can go shove it. That includes anyone that speaks out against Micro-transactions..you hypocrites :p

Having said that, I still want to play it...lol

I'm going to try and wait for GZ though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Images from GI article are phe-no-me-nal! Journalist praised how everything looks and animates, explosion, wind, changes between daytime and nighttime.

Derrick01

Banned
WTF DETAILS PELASE

I just finished reading it and the only thing that really stood out to me are complaints about stealth sections. I knew there was one really early on but apparently there's at least a couple more.

Honestly there's really not many more details on why the writer didn't like it despite claiming to love the first game. There's some stuff about a couple generic looking modern areas but that's mostly it.

Ok, info from GI:

GZ
- 2 hr main story mode
- normal and hard difficulity present
- abbility to turn off all aids [more awards for that]
- side missions, collection of XOF patches, extraction of soldiers that will be transfered to TPP
- all missions have leaderboards
- mobile app for realtime map info
- great gameplay
- regular content downloadable packs between GZ and TPP

TPP:
- 9 years after GZ, BB casts away the name of Snake and goes on a mission of revenge, builds outer haven
- bigass game
- they will tell the tale of Les Efantes Terrible project [birth of twin snakes]
- several large open world areas, set in differnt places around the world [afhanistan and africa are unveiled for now]
- open world gameplay, player can choose how to engage enemy, sneak/attack/escape
- base building, visiting friends bases, mobile app

Wow TPP sounds incredible. Super hyped for that. I really want to check out GZ but with it being so expensive and short, plus Infamous launching the same day… yeah I think I can wait a few months.

Sojgat

There's zero chance it's worse than the first game.

It could be four hours long:(

I just finished reading it and the only thing that really stood out to me are complaints about stealth sections. I knew there was one really early on but apparently there's at least a couple more.

Honestly there's really not many more details on why the writer didn't like it despite claiming to love the first game. There's some stuff about a couple generic looking modern areas but that's mostly it.

Seems really weird, Game Informer scores are usually pretty generous.

Loakum

Banned
Looks like I guessed correctly on the gameinformer's cover and 20 pages preview (see page 10 of the now closed thread on the subject) anyway, $40 is way too figgin much for a glorified 2 hour demo! Now having said that....I'm keeping it pre ordered because I'm a friggin idiot.

If always heard that but the post credits ending doesn't line up with that. Though the ending before the codec conversation and general theme of MGS2 (passing the torch to another snake) does.

There is quite a bit of analysis to be done on that game. But MGS2 being the last in the series was something that he was saying leading up to the game's release, as I recall.

Drainer

Banned
Do you read shorter books too?

Not trying to be an ass. But that's what this sentiment sometimes sounds like. Everything should be bite-sized cause so many if us are busy. But that leads to iOS games. Why not simply pause after 2 hours?

Again, I really do get what you're saying, but I am a little confused by this impulse to need completion within a short period of time.

It's not a need to complete quickly for me.

I took much longer to complete Last Of Us than most because I collected everything etc etc.

I personally see short campaigns in a positive light. To me it says the campaign is tight and focused. I loved Quest for Booty and Nexus for those reasons.

They didn't outstay their welcome like a lot of games tend to do for me.

I don't think the book analogy quite applies though.

Spaghetti

can we get some description of the screens in here? the ones from the phantom pain if possible, i'm sick of hearing about ground zeroes by this point

Mrbob

Between the MGS Ground Zeroes play time revelation and Castlevania 2 review, bad day for Konami.

I don't mind short games, but I'm not paying 40 dollars for a 2 hour prologue.

Have you guys thought about this? What if Game Informer's speed run resulted in less than 2 hr campaign, and may be they sped through the game because they wanted their preview to be up on the internet before everyone else?

What if the game is indeed 6hrs excluding side missions?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
can we get some description of the screens in here? the ones from the phantom pain if possible, i'm sick of hearing about ground zeroes by this point

I don't think there are any new TPP screens, just GZ. The interview is about Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, that's why it's on the cover.

Correct me if i'm wrong, i don't have the issue.

Have you guys thought about this? What if Game Informer's speed run resulted in less than 2 hr campaign, and may be they sped through the game because they wanted their preview to be up on the internet before everyone else?

Sounds more like cognitive dissonance

DieH@rd

Banned
I personally think that GI journalists did not see the entire GZ campaign. In the trailers we clearly see that unharmed big boss has escaped the destroyed motherbase with Kaz. But, we dont know how BB got wounded and sent into coma.

I think that KojiPro are leaving that part of the story under wraps, and hopefully that will be the climax of the GZ story campaign.

Here's another tidbit from the GI article: We've seen the "vast majority" of Ground Zeroes' content. Also, they totally just lay out the entire story in the article.

Big Boss rescues Chico and Paz.
They get on the helicopter, but there's a giant V-shaped scar on Paz's abdomen.
It's a bomb! But they pull it out and arrive at Motherbase...
Which has been mostly destroyed by Colonel Skullfuck's shitty voice acting.
They rescue Miller from Motherbase and get in the helicopter again.
But the Patriots anticipated that Big Boss would find the bomb and have a back up plan that somehow puts Big Boss in a coma. (This plan is not specified.)

Don't spend $40 on this.

kmax

46380-spiderman-lol-fail-gif-iuwR.gif

Sorry, it's not happening.

Spaghetti

I don't think there are any new TPP screens, just GZ. The interview is about Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, that's why it's on the cover.

Correct me if i'm wrong, i don't have the issue.
well if that's the case i totally rescind my request

i don't want to see ground zeroes at all anymore. not even sure i want to keep my pre order either.

I personally think that GI journalists did not see the entire GZ campaign. In the trailers we clearly see that unharmed big boss has escaped the destroyed motherbase with Kaz. But, we dont know how BB got wounded and sent into coma.

I think that KojiPro are leaving that part of the story under wraps, and hopefully that will be the climax of the GZ story campaign.

We see Big Boss discovering a rather gruesome bomb (confirmed to be a bomb by Kojima). We might not be missing much more than a detonation.
Edit: ok those spoilers paint it slightly different, but still not much is unknown.

Very interesting Kojima interview in the issue. Basically talks about how he got into gaming and how he is stuck being the Metal Gear guy. He claims he does not want to be known as that man, he claims he doesnt have much time left cause he is 50 so he wants to write a list of all he wants to do before he dies and make sure he does it which includes writing a novel and making a movie.

He claims he likes simple stories, ironically. He said he always tries to make a simple story. He says he wont let series canon hinder him from telling the story he wants so if he has to contradict a few things he will.

There was a comparison of him and James Cameron with Aliens where that franchise was handed off after Alien and it was successful. Kojima said his situation is more like Terminator where if he left it would become a mess. He claims he has had no success in passing the torch which implies he has tried. There is a lot about Japanese culture and how he doesn't relate to any Japanese developers anymore except Platinum Games.

What I found most interesting is his talk about GTA and Konami. Remember that GTA tweet about how amazing an open world it was and how he was jealous. Well he says he is jealous of Rockstar that they are able to pump all their resources into making the game they desire. He says he can't do that, he still needs to work with Konami and partner on different projects and make sure things are balanced for Konami as a whole.

He says he just got into Breaking Bad and he is pissed cause he wasnt the one to come up with that story, he wants to tell that kind of story. He says if he pitched a story like that to Konami they would probably say no. He also loved Gravity, loved how simple it was and he says trying to create a game that simple would be hard with Konami. He says that movie really impacted him, making something out of the ordinary a big success and is jealous of it as a creator, says it stirred something in him.

He talks about how he is close friends with Guillermo Del Toro, says he would like to work with him one day.

This hurts worse than anything else in this thread. MGS2 will go down as the only game let kojima run wild.

I don't doubt that the game's story is short, but I do question why Kojima Productions would allow Game Informer to give away the entire story... Again, the version they played was not the final version, so who knows? Whatever the case, I'm ready to get my hands on it!

erawsd

Pretty much expected.

Hopefully, it bombs. We support enough industry bullshit, don't need to add $40 pre-game DLC to the list.

iLLmAtlc

One saving grace for this is it is possible to get it for 20 on the PS3. 20 for the amount you get would be a lot more reasonable. However I'd still rather own a disc so maybe I'll wait for a price drop.

I'm still close to cancelling the pre-order but on the other hand I've played the hell out of all of the MGS demoes. I somehow managed to squeeze 16 hours out of the MGS:pW demo so I feel like I could probably still get my monies worth out of this.

There are new screens but they're nothing special. They look great to me, though.

Ground Zeroes
Snake explodes something with a rocket launcher.
Snake rides a tank.
Snake looks at the destruction of Mother Base from his chopper.
MSF chopper provides supporting fire (apparently).
Snake interrogates a soldier.
Snake can tell a soldier to "get down" once he sneaks up on him.

The Phantom Pain
Big Boss on horse in that same area that Ocelot and himself were in during the E3 trailer.
Big Boss apparently in Afghanistan, on a dirt track with buildings and stuff.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am actually all in for short but sweet games, but that price is indeed a bit ridiculous.

With the 360 digital version being twenty dollars I think I can get my moneys worth for sure. Still feel bad for Kojima though as this is honestly Konami jerking him around.

Top Bottom