• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's exclusive New Super Mario Bros. U trailer

ScOULaris

While I think that NSMBU looks pretty attractive in a clean, presentable sort of way, I don't see how anyone could even begin to argue that it looks fresh or impressive.

They are clearly still using assets that were originally created for a freakin' DS game. Character models, animations, and foreground art are all being used for the fourth time in this game, albeit rendered at a higher resolution with a few small new touches.

I'm excited for this game because it seems to be paying homage to SMW more than the other "New" games in the series, and SMW was always my favorite 2D Mario game. And if NSMBWii is any indication, this should feature some fiendishly clever level design and fun/maddening multiplayer hi-jinks.

But I've always been disappointed with the overall aesthetic of the "New" Mario games. It's just so safe, uninspired, and uninteresting. Every character basically looks exactly like they did as Mario 64 promotional renders. It's sad, really.

Heh, Mario's dressed like an Emolga.

The backgrounds are real pretty. Music eh but I'll have to play this eventually (When I decide to finally buy a Wii U)

Dr.Hadji

The platforming guitar hero levels are something completely different in Legends.

The chest chases in Rayman were much better than the bone coaster.

Origins is exactly what I was talking about. Set piece platforming for "maximum" trills is cheap. If the only thing I can do to make it over to the next platform is extremely restricted to the point where I can only do one thing I might as well be on the note highway in Guitar Hero.

Salz01

Not exactly sure, if that sells me on the Wii U. Personally thought the Donkey Kong game from Rare, looks better on the Wii (minus he absence of it being in HD). I'd prefer a Wii U Donkey Kong than this.

What a ballsy prediction

Well, look at New Super Mario Brothers 2 and it's reception, it's so-so relative to the franchise.

There's not guarantee this game will be a 9.5-10 game, nothing shown so far shows really inspired level design(though I am sure it's there).

It's also dangerous to say it looks like Super Mario World just because it shares some aspects of it.

I look forward to it though, I just hope the levels get a lot tighter, it's not easy to make a game for many players and have that same exquisite design as the levels can get a bit sparse.

If it's better than New Super Mario Brothers Wii, I will love it.

char0n

Yeah, it looks... nice. I can't shit on the quality of the graphics but I really am starting to get sick of the "New" aesthetic, and especially the music. I thought it was cute for NSMB and NSMB Wii but the bubbly super-market-muzak style is grating on me.

I know something is wrong with the post. Someone help me.

Swap out Rare for Retro, seems to be saying that DKCR looks better than NSMBU visually even if it's simply a wii title and not HD.
And also DKCR2 would have been preferable.

And i'd agree on both counts.

Outside chance: Rare's DKC trilogy playable on wii via the VC still looks better minus the lack of HD.

SykoTech

At this point, "New Super Mario Bros "might as well be synonymous with "terrible music".

Nooooooooo! Put "Bah bah" in 3D Mario and give 2D Mario orchestra. :p

galaxybig_0004.jpg

galaxybig_0014.jpg

galaxybig_0011.jpg

EAD Tokyo, we need you! How about doing one 2D Mario, pwease.

Co-signed. The Galaxy look would be much better. As would the return of sprites. Or something like Nintendo's own DKCR or Return to Dream Land.

ANYTHING would be better then this soulless, plastic look.

Ranger X

I think the trailer was really good and that this looks fantastic!
Now I really feel I am playing those Mario CG graphics I've seen since so many years!

Ranger X

I have to chuckle to myself anytime someone mentions soul in reference to a videogame.

It's just a way of speaking to describe something that sounds or look inspired. Not hard to understand. (well, unless you never could tell ever when something was created mechanically or out of whatever that isn't inspiration and creativity)

The biggest tragedy about the NSMB aesthetic is that you know that there are some very talented artists working on these games, but for whatever reason they're not given the creative freedom to do something really interesting with the art. Great games, as everyone points out, but visually they are capable of so much more.

So, this is New Super Mario World?

It really has the vibe IMO. Looks fantastic, and actually a system seller for me. I wasn't very intrigued initially but it looks great now.

jman2050

It's just a way of speaking to describe something that sounds or look inspired. Not hard to understand. (well, unless you never could tell ever when something was created mechanically or out of whatever that isn't inspiration and creativity)

Then just say "it looks like more of the same and I don't want more of the same." The problem is people don't like doing this because they know it indicates a personal issue when them as opposed to an issue with the game itself, and we can't be having that, now can we.

Amir0x

Banned
It's a word people use when they can't articulate an argument so have to pretend they have one.

I have to chuckle to myself anytime someone mentions soul in reference to a videogame.

THANK YOU

[url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22104477&postcount=102]MeFrom2010[/url] said:
I am starting to believe "has no soul" is the go to argument for people who cannot defend something with rational means, and instead have to go to great lengths to make excuses for all the terrible shit that their sacred cow contains.

It will be a huge improvement if it doesn't go:

Outdoor-mushroom levels followed by desert world followed by snow world followed by water world etc etc

gaming_noob

Is there a message board slang to describe this type of game, much like FPS/shooters can be called "dudebros" and "bald space marines", without being offensive? How about has-been or manchild games?

jman2050

Is there a message board slang to describe this type of game, much like FPS/shooters can be called "dudebros" and "bald space marines", without being offensive? How about has-been or manchild games?

How is the most popular gaming franchise in the world a "has-been" game?

I call them mascot platformers, it fits the bill pretty damn well, sorry if that's not biting enough for you.

Decado

I like what I see. I hope they make a new Metroid Prime side-scroller, too. I don't expect to get a Wii U any time soon, but as far as Nintendo 1st party games go, this is what I'm looking for.

Ranger X

Then just say "it looks like more of the same and I don't want more of the same." The problem is people don't like doing this because they know it indicates a personal issue when them as opposed to an issue with the game itself, and we can't be having that, now can we.

Me I just see it as a manner of speaking. And we have the wonderful ability to read between lines so why not use it?

Speevy

Banned

It's called "Nintendo".

There's no shorter or better way to say it.

Says "fun, kiddy, high quality, conservative, amazing, cash-grab, casual, nostalgic" in one word.

No other industry term does that.

Downhome

Is it true that you can press a button instead of waggle in this version?

And yes, this game looks amazing. I can't freakin' wait! I'd love more games like this done in 2D HD, like a Zelda, Metroid, Contra, Mega Man, any of em!!!

Heck, give me a new Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers in HD.

I'm not entirely joking about that last one.

Top Bottom