• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's exclusive New Super Mario Bros. U trailer

I think this whole fresh deal can be summed up simply by assuming that finally changing the overworld theme and backgrounds (sort of) after the previous 3 games is like getting the umm...freshest loaf out of the oven even if the bread itself is still the same recipe, okay so my metaphors suck and make no sense but yeah, slightly different audio and visual presentation= fake freshness.

I'm pretty sure I saw more new gameplay/visual elements in that one trailer than I counted in the entirety of NSMB2 (not that I'm the type to count off for that sort of thing).

SO PUMPED

I like the overworld design a lot. The design of the levels they showed looks old and stale. Will be nice to finally play in HD though. I'm tired of 2D Mario and can't wait to see the next 3D offering. NSMB2 pretty much killed all my Mario 2D love.

People are obsessed with change where change isn't necessary.

People set different bars for games apparently. Personally I want Uncharted, Halo, and Mario to all grow and innovate. I don't hold Mario to a lesser standard than everything else. Some people are more willing to. Would have been nice for them to try some online play.

Vinci

Danish
This is likely the main selling point for the Wii U for me. NSMB Wii was remarkable fun with my wife and friends. That said, I will be waiting a while before diving in - but I'll get there eventually.

RagnarokX

I'm pretty sure I saw more new gameplay/visual elements in that one trailer than I counted in the entirety of NSMB2 (not that I'm the type to count off for that sort of thing).

SO PUMPED

The only new gameplay elements are the beanstalk and mini Mario running on walls, well and squirrel Mario, of course, but he's not much different from propeller Mario. Visually, NSMB2 had a lot of new elements too, especially in the sky levels.

ASIS

I think this whole fresh deal can be summed up simply by assuming that finally changing the overworld theme and backgrounds (sort of) after the previous 3 games is like getting the umm...freshest loaf out of the oven even if the bread itself is still the same recipe, okay so my metaphors suck and make no sense but yeah, slightly different audio and visual presentation= fake freshness.

So basically you are asking people to forget all the new power ups, modes, interfaces, level design and just call it the same old because of shallow reasons such as an aesthetic you can't even call the same?

DigitalOp

Banned
Ok this was interesting...

I was a critic of this game but it seems I understand it more.

I think Nintendo has crammed a ton of mario powerup mechanics in one balanced game. It has that straight SMW vibe and im optimistic that it will turn out to be one of the best mario games.

The artstyle is kinda bland though. And I wish they would use their other franchises more!

They shit out NSMB2 just to have a decent software lineup on 3DS
The WiiU Online Infrastructure better be fucking PSN or better

The only new gameplay elements are the beanstalk and mini Mario running on walls. Visually, NSMB2 had a lot of new elements too, especially in the sky levels.

That's not true, I'll need to rewatch the trailer but off my head I don't ever remember running on water geysers in a Mario game before (unless you count the whale spouts in SMB2).

From a visual standpoint, I don't ever remember a pirate ship.

I'm sure I could come up more if I weren't watching The Voice.

So basically you are asking people to forget all the new power ups, modes, interfaces, level design and just call it the same old because of shallow reasons such as an aesthetic you can't even call the same?

Oh I mean how the gameplay itself is fundamentally the same as the previous NSMB games in its style and control, but that the new bells and whistles give it a greater feel of freshness.
I don't deny at all that these power ups and level design are going to add to the game and also serve to make it different to previous entries, just that the core gameplay is still intact in a mostly familiar form, for what it's worth i'm really hyped for this.

Plus quite a few people in NSMB threads obsess over the aesthetics half the time anyway so I assume that's the main angle they're driving at.

I dont see the point. The way you jump on a koopa and its just the shell is pretty much the same in every mario game.Thats what I see you getting to I guess but still opinions overrule all because what I think as fresh may not be fresh to you. You picked probably the most miniscule thing to deviate the game from being fresh.

I know my opinion is different, and if you think this game is the freshest thing since the word freshness was invented, then that is an opinion you are welcome to. Different opinions are awesome.

To elaborate on mine further - this game is the opposite of fresh. Its visual style is heavily derived from an (it has to be said) ugly DS game - as fun as it was. They are clearly recycling boss movements and animations, as shown in the earlier gif, and its getting to the point where New Super Mario Bros Wii U looks like a HD mod of New Super Mario Bros Wii, which looked like a modded upressed port of New Super Mario Bros DS with four player nailed on.

Here's how I'd present freshness in the history of this series. Going from Super Mario World's rather functional boss encounters:

aKWwU.gif

to Super Mario World 2's completely fresh approach:

UXMmW.gif

And this was on the same console with mostly the same capabilities! (well, a few extra chips in the YI cart not withstanding).

As I said, I'll be buying New Super Mario Bros Wii U, and will enjoy it. But its the fourth time Nintendo have recycled/semi-recycled regurgitated content. Its the opposite of fresh. Its stale.

Pineconn

Let me further illustrate my point.

http://i.imgur.com/mv5sH.gif[IMG]

Its the same animation. Could easily be from the same game.

As I said earlier, I'll play this and enjoy it - as I just did with New Super Mario Bros. 2. But I don't understand how such a visually derivative game can be called fresh.[/QUOTE]

Koopa Kids use the same animation.

4/10

ASIS

Oh I mean how the gameplay itself is fundamentally the same as the previous NSMB games in its style and control, but that the new bells and whistles give it a greater feel of freshness.
I don't deny at all that these power ups and level design are going to add to the game and also serve to make it different to previous entries, just that the core gameplay is still intact in a mostly familiar form, for what it's worth i'm really hyped for this.

Plus quite a few people in NSMB threads obsess over the aesthetics half the time anyway so I assume that's the main angle they're driving at.

Oh sorry I misunderstood you. Yes, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Neiteio

Other than an arena change, and the rising platforms swapped with rising water platforms, it looks like the same boss battle.

Such a thought-out counter argument to a differing opinion there.

It demeans the entire forum when we condescend and dismiss different views as "haters".
I know with Wendy Koopa at least, she's ice-skating in a snowy bowl-like arena, with icicles overhead that can fall when her spells hit them. And Roy Koopa appears to be wielding some sort of shoulder-mounted bazooka that shoots Bullet Bills in two directions when he lands. I don't think either of them did these things in previous games, so there must be -some- new animations in there. But yeah, your larger point still stands, which is that Nintendo is being highly derivative of itself.

Such a thought-out counter argument to a differing opinion there.

It demeans the entire forum when we condescend and dismiss different views as "haters".

I honestly don't get it either.

It's cool to love their games... but it's not like your brother made it or something. Questionable moves and motives are questionable moves and motives.

Amir0x

Banned
Let me further illustrate my point.

mv5sH.gif

Its the same animation. Could easily be from the same game.

As I said earlier, I'll play this and enjoy it - as I just did with New Super Mario Bros. 2. But I don't understand how such a visually derivative game can be called fresh.

really, judging by every other NSMB game so far, they don't get the least bit creative until the last two worlds, so... i wouldn't be surprised if NSMB U follows that trends. That's the big problem the series has, besides visual direction (and the fucking SOUNDTRACK - fuck you shitty BAH BAH voices in every track already, goddamn. Shit is piercing my ear drums. Easily the worst run of soundtracks in any Nintendo franchise to date), that they take forever to get even remotely to the interesting creative bits.

I hope they arrive there earlier. We already know Nintendo is pretty lazy with the asset recreation and animation and stuff like that, but at least they took a HUGE leap forward with the backgrounds this time. Now they just need a similar improvement with the foregrounds, to make it appear like it fits in with the background stuff in a more natural manner.

RagnarokX

That's not true, I'll need to rewatch the trailer but off my head I don't ever remember running on water geysers in a Mario game before (unless you count the whale spouts in SMB2).

From a visual standpoint, I don't ever remember a pirate ship.

I'm sure I could come up more if I weren't watching The Voice.

The water geysers aren't functionally different from the sand geysers in NSMBWii.

Other than an arena change, and the rising platforms swapped with rising water platforms, it looks like the same boss battle.
I guess you can call it fresh but super mario world and yoshi islands are 2 different games. NSMB is a series that reuses many things because it can. Almost all games do this with sequels and NSMB shouldnt be seen as any different. If Nintendo made a real super mario world 2 with no baby mario on snes at the time it would of probably reused assets from the first one.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Okay, that looks great. Previous trailers sold me on actually offering difficulty and rewarding getting better at playing and co-op speed run, this sold me on graphics.

Good job Nintendo, NSMB2 and more than half of NSMB Wii had actually turned me off from being interested at all in 2D Marios and you got me right back.

BlankaBR

Banned
OMG the game looks amazing, its so colorful and vivid, it looks like super mario world in beautiful hd graphic extravaganza!!!!

Neiteio

I'm suddenly reminded of numerous interviews where Miyamoto and company talked about how prior to SM64, it was a constant chore for them to figure out Mario's "look" -- it had to be practically reinvented each iteration since the sprites meant drawing a new "look" to fit the demands of the game. But then SM64 came along with its 3D polygonal graphics and created a set template that Mario has used ever since. Sure it's been tweaked a great deal -- Mario looks much more Pixar-esque than the squat, blocky fellow of the N64 days -- but I guess what I'm trying to say is once Nintendo found "The Look," they were set on it, and that was that. Graphics totally secondary to gameplay, which is all they want to focus on. They must see the look of the sure-to-sell NSMB as a perfected form of that, shorthand they can use again and again. Meh.

You're above using the differences between SMW and Yoshi's Island, two games most gamers and even Nintendo consider different franchises, to illustrate your point.

I guess Nintendo got mixed up then when they named the game Super Mario World 2, and subsequently went on to re-release it as Super Mario Advance 3?

Where's the citation for "even Nintendo"?

The point I am illustrating still stands though: Two platformers starring Mario, released a few years apart, with the second bringing new mechanics, bosses and graphics the likes of which the industry at the time had never seen, an exciting new music style, a new universe with new characters, and every moment of the game felt like a fresh experience. They took mechanics from previous Mario games, and spun all of them in an innovative new direction.

The result was magnificent and different. One of Nintendo's finest hours. It was incredibly fresh. It was the opposite of New Super Mario Bros 2/3 and 4.

AzaK

That actually made me want to give it a go, and I normally find 2D Mario so mindnumbingly boring I actually don't play them anymore.

jman2050

I guess Nintendo got mixed up then when they named the game Super Mario World 2, and subsequently went on to re-release it as Super Mario Advance 3?

Where's the citation for "even Nintendo"?

The point I am illustrating still stands though: Two platformers starring Mario, released a few years apart, with the second bringing new mechanics, bosses and graphics the likes of which the industry at the time had never seen, an exciting new music style, a new universe with new characters, and every moment of the game felt like a fresh experience. They took mechanics from previous Mario games, and spun all of them in an innovative new direction.

The result was magnificent and different. One of Nintendo's finest hours. It was incredibly fresh. It was the opposite of New Super Mario Bros 2/2 and 4.

Small confession: I feel that SMW, YI, and NSMBWii are all roughly the same quality.

Small confession: I feel that SMW, YI, and NSMBWii are all roughly the same quality.

I disagree, but this is a thing that reasonable people can disagree about.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a great game. Its highly derivative in its appearance, music, animation and mechanics, but it is great.

Yoshi's Island is the greatest platform game ever made. Again, my opinion. Love it.

Dr.Hadji

They aren't going to show super amazing stuff like the bone coaster in the trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxJ0F1xzSo

We pretty much know bone coasters are in the game, though, since they were featured in 2011. They had a level where you were on a bone coaster in the dark.

The Bone Coaster is one of the best onrails levels in platformers. All the trills of a Rayman Origins chest chase without it becoming a platforming themed guitar hero.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a great game. Its highly derivative in its appearance, music, animation and mechanics, but it is great.

Yoshi's Island is the greatest platform game ever made. Again, my opinion. Love it.

Idk, its nice to promote innovation and freshness or whatever but at the end of the day those things don't necessarily make the game better. I don't care if its a carbon copy with an extra tweek to push it over the top. Better is better.

jman2050

Well I should disclose my own perspective that I felt Sonic games were always better than the Mario games, so maybe I'm the wrong person to talk about these things :p

Top Bottom