• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's exclusive New Super Mario Bros. U trailer

Seems pretty arbitrary to me.
So is value, I suppose. I have fatigue for this series. I'm not seriously going to come into the thread and go "I wish this game was something else" but realistically I would feel a lot more comfortable swallowing these games if there was a bit more creative vision to the presentation. Great for you if you can see past all the presentation and just see hit boxes and vectors and pure fun but I expect more from Nintendo and their hardware I suppose.

DrNeroCF

Looks pretty good, but I really hate the direction Nintendo is going with sound design. Everything used to be so 'punchy'. Like Yoshi's flutter jump, it used to sound like the perfect abstraction of expended energy (before Yoshi had a voice, blech), now is just sounds floppy.

Guess that's a good way to describe all of Nintendo's sound effects lately, everything used to sound so crisp and delicious, now it's all floppy.

And I LOATHE the New Super Mario Bros and 3D Land music.

Still fun games, though, so bah.

Kacho

Loving the clean, crisp look of it. Makes me even more excited to see the next Zelda, Metroid, 3D Mario game.

I can't stop watching these videos, launch day can't come soon enough. I seriously can't wait to see footage for the first wii u Metroid game, and goddamnit there better be a better star fox this generation. Also, does anyone else think $60 for Nintendoland is way too overpriced? I wasn't one of the fortunate to get a deluxe reserve.

you have 3D Mario for orchestrated music. it doesn't need to be in everything.

Nooooooooo! Put "Bah bah" in 3D Mario and give 2D Mario orchestra. :p

galaxybig_0004.jpg

galaxybig_0014.jpg

galaxybig_0011.jpg

EAD Tokyo, we need you! How about doing one 2D Mario, pwease. T_T Let the NSMB 2 crew handle level designs, just make our game look and sound purty. :D

I dunno, to me this looks a lot better than any of the previous New Super Mario Bros. The environments look different and varied, and the level set-ups look intriguing. I wasn't at all interested in what New Super Mario Bros. 2 brought to the table, but this looks different enough that if I ever get a Wii U I'd pick it up.

Looks great to me, love me those backgrounds. The only thing that bothers me in the trailer is it looks 1-up heavy still, though I suppose that won't ever change.

Feels so standard, so plastic. Right down to the way they clap when you do something good.

ibmjoZKpW5eUTM.gif

I feel like this is actually the least consistent NSMB game yet. Maybe of all mainline Mario games..

Yes. That's why they release it, they hope we will judge it to be good and buy the game.

But more importantly, an avatar quote!

Yeah I know it's not but I couldn't resist.

Looks awesome, true sequel to Super Mario World I'd say.

Spiritual successor definitely. It takes quite a few of the design themes from it, and gives it a more modern coating.

I don't know when I'll get myself a WiiU, but this is definitely one of the games I be getting for it.

Well I don't have much to add here, it looks like Mario, that's fine by me.
Squirrel Suit seems to allow a wall cling, I think i'm going to like this suit a lot.

QUESTION:

does anyone know if the enemies dance while walking along the screen?

that is one thing that is pretty unbearable about the "New" series

Shion

The level-design looks great, but I just can't stand the incredibly bland art-style and the "NSMB Wii in HD" look of this game.

It just feels like a 3rd expansion of a game that never looked good in the first place.

I wouldn't use the word "fresh".

Its sharp and colourful. Its also incredibly similar to the rather bland artstyle of the last three New Super Mario Bros. games. The Koopaling battle looks like the exact same animation in fact.

I'm going to play this - and it looks fun, but the artistry and design is about as fresh as Dry Bones taking a dump.

Disagree so much. It may have the same general style as older NSMB games, but the graphics are incredibly improved. So many layers of parallax in the backgrounds, which so far look wildly more epic in scope than previous games. The cave background in particular looked unimpressive in still shots, but in that trailer it looks magnificent. I dunno, I see a lot of creativity in this games style, even if it's more iterative than absolutely brand new.

Still, opinions and all.

Let me further illustrate my point.

mv5sH.gif

Its the same animation. Could easily be from the same game.

As I said earlier, I'll play this and enjoy it - as I just did with New Super Mario Bros. 2. But I don't understand how such a visually derivative game can be called fresh.
I dont see the point. The way you jump on a koopa and its just the shell is pretty much the same in every mario game.Thats what I see you getting to I guess but still opinions overrule all because what I think as fresh may not be fresh to you. You picked probably the most miniscule thing to deviate the game from being fresh.

Neiteio

The world looks greatly improved. It's just the characters that seem lazy -- same exact models and animation as NSMBW. Still, seeing them in HD, in the context of these lovely levels, makes the whole greater the sum of its parts, I feel.

Increased parallax scrolling to detract from the soulless, Fisher-Price art design and the plastic, vapid sound design.

Looks like it'll be a fun game though, just not something I'm in a rush to lay $410 bucks for.

Mariolee

galaxybig_0004.jpg

galaxybig_0014.jpg

galaxybig_0011.jpg

EAD Tokyo, we need you! How about doing one 2D Mario, pwease. T_T Let the NSMB 2 crew handle level designs, just make our game look and sound purty. :D

Seriously. I want this in HD. Though the main reason NSMBU has made it to launch is probably because of its simple artstyle. Still, I want a NSMB with Galaxy graphics in HD. Is that too much to ask? :)

galaxybig_0004.jpg

galaxybig_0014.jpg

galaxybig_0011.jpg

God that looks so much better than the "New" crap. Totally agree about the orchestral music.

Drago

I think that visually it looks great, miles ahead of the last 3 games. So vibrant, colorful, and fresh compared to the Mario norm imo.

I could see where the complaints are coming from though, especially with character models and animations

Top Bottom