• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

Tak3n

Banned
so I just run the episode again with opposite actions and the story played out identical.

In fact the most frustrating part was the end

I chose to meet them at the gate this time, thinking he would not have his army with them, yet in the final scene he inexplicable manages to wave his army through the doors!

Is there room for me to complain? The animation is just dreadful. Characters turning on their axis, strange facial expressions, clumsy set pieces.. is it just me?

As for the dialogue, here is a conversation, showing the options and the resulting conversation.

NPC: Can you give me a hand?

- Do it yourself.
- No problem.

My character: Yeah, no problem.

NPC: I have been a squire longer than you.
My character: So..?
NPC: I outrank you. You should help me.

What the fuck? Why even give me a choice if you are going to disregard what I said?

These have all been issues that were raised with their games long ago, but they just won't improve or change.. it just seems like they aren't even trying at this point.

depward

Played through it. Keep in mind - this is actually my first Telltale game. No spoilers.

• The game has this vasoline look to it. Kinda like supposed to be handpainted-looking but doesn't come across as that. More like a concession for it to run better.
  • I find everyone's eyes distracting. Like, they're just so WEIRD looking and unnatural.
  • Dialogue choices were interesting. Some seemed inconsequential, some did not.

That being said, my brother made me get the season pass with him, so in for all of the other episodes or whatever. All in all kinda fun... though I DO WISH the music was better. I REALLY like the music in the show and was expecting similar music here but not so.

Ok I'm stuck on my mac in the beginning - the game can't seem to recognize a directional "swipe" with my mouse. On iOS it worked fine, but on my Mac the shit is broke.

When
at the Red Wedding one of the Freys says "shoot that one!" as you're charging with your shield you're supposed to swipe upwards. Unfortunately, though, I can't so I get my chest and face filled with bolts from the crossbows.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

I liked it. It goes overboard with QTE nonsense in the first 20 minutes, but once it becomes more about dialogue choices and story it's really really good imo.

Playing on PS4, I'm happy with the graphics. They aren't impressive but they work well with the setting, and it seems they used the spare horsepower to really make the image quality nice.

RPGCrazied

Wow. The difference between the PS3/4 is night and day. The PS3 demo felt like its running in 480p with 0 AA. I'm glad I got the PS4 version, so much smoother, and 1080p. Just started though. Holy hell at 2.6 gig download. I sure hope all episodes aren't that big.

abrack08

Just finished the first episode, thought this was excellent. Game of Thrones seems like the perfect IP for a TellTale game.

I guess it's not a real looker but... that didn't really matter to me. Thoroughly enjoyed it, already feel attached to this family. The ending was awesome.
Fuck Ramsey.

supergiz

I just finished the first episode and I was impressed. They did a great job of getting me so invested in the characters.

mr stroke

Does the game look like ass on PC as well?

Thinking about getting it for PC since it might look sharper, but if all versions look like Vaseline then might as well go Xbone?

kd-z

I would expect this thread to be much longer than this at this point. I thought the combination of Telltale and Game of Thrones would grab everyone's attention, but I guess the game got kind of lost at the end of the year, with everyone playing Dragon Age or something. Still, two pages in almost two weeks? Maybe Telltale lost the goodwill for some reason?

Anyway, I have finally found the time to play through the episode and I definitely enjoyed it. I think the animation is the best I've seen in Telltale games, including Tales from the Borderlands. The story so far is interesting - even though it's part of a larger narrative happening on the sidelines of the books/TV show I think it might do the job of making me invested in the fate's of the characters. The conversation with Cersei was certainly intense and terrifying. And man, if anyone needed convincing that Telltale are the studio to do Game of Thrones justice, that last twist should leave them with no doubts.
I wonder who will we be taking control of in the next episode. I hope it's Lady Forrester.

mr stroke

I would expect this thread to be much longer than this at this point. I thought the combination of Telltale and Game of Thrones would grab everyone's attention, but I guess the game got kind of lost at the end of the year, with everyone playing Dragon Age or something. Still, two pages in almost two weeks? Maybe Telltale lost the goodwill for some reason?

Anyway, I have finally found the time to play through the episode and I definitely enjoyed it. I think the animation is the best I've seen in Telltale games, including Tales from the Borderlands. The story so far is interesting - even though it's part of a larger narrative happening on the sidelines of the books/TV show I think it might do the job of making me invested in the fate's of the characters. The conversation with Cersei was certainly intense and terrifying. And man, if anyone needed convincing that Telltale are the studio to do Game of Thrones justice, that last twist should leave them with no doubts.
I wonder who will we be taking control of in the next episode. I hope it's Lady Forrester.

I just think a lot of people are burnt out on Telltale games. This is what happens when you make bunch of games with similar arts styles and game play.

Montresor

I just got caught up on the television series, watching season one to season four only to prep myself for this game, since I loved TWD and Wolf Among Us. Then I come into the OT and find the game is about House Forrester. Who? Please tell me this game refers to the Night's Watch, Daenyrus, the Starks, etc... I'm sure it refers to the Lannisters since I thought I saw the likeness of Cersei and Tyrion on the Xbox Store page for this game.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I just got caught up on the television series, watching season one to season four only to prep myself for this game, since I loved TWD and Wolf Among Us. Then I come into the OT and find the game is about House Forrester. Who? Please tell me this game refers to the Night's Watch, the Lannister, Daenyrus, the Starks, etc...

Just watch the series. You'll be pretty OK with the game once you're done.

Montresor

Just watch the series. You'll be pretty OK with the game once you're done.

I've finished the television series - and I'm waiting on a sale before purchasing the game. I'm just hoping that the game refers to the Starks, the Wall, the blonde dragon lady from across the sea, etc... Maybe that's too much to expect from just the first episode.

I've finished the television series - and I'm waiting on a sale before purchasing the game. I'm just hoping that the game refers to the Starks, the Wall, the blonde dragon lady from across the sea, etc... Maybe that's too much to expect from just the first episode.

It does, don't worry. Those are the major players in the Game of Thrones, after all. The game is a side story, House Forrester are bannermen of House Stark. As all Nothern houses, they're severely impacted by the Red Wedding and everything that happens after that. You'll meet several characters from the show in the first episode alone, with more to come later.

House Forrester is essentially a blank slate for TellTale to tell their story with. They were mentioned only once in Book 5, I think, and that's pretty much it.

Montresor

It does, don't worry. Those are the major players in the Game of Thrones, after all. The game is a side story, House Forrester are bannermen of House Stark. As all Nothern houses, they're severely impacted by the Red Wedding and everything that happens after that. You'll meet several characters from the show in the first episode alone, with more to come later.

House Forrester is essentially a blank slate for TellTale to tell their story with. They were mentioned only once in Book 5, I think, and that's pretty much it.

Thanks - that sounds decent.

mr stroke

Amazon has the entire season on sale for $19

My girlfriend is a big fan of the TV series (as am I), but not a gamer; I asked her if she'd be interested in "playing" this with me, and said she'd give it a shot.

I keep seeing people say it runs badly; is it going to be completely off-putting to an observer, who doesn't play games? I don't want to play it first to find out, as I'd rather we both played it blind.

I'll be getting the 360 version, if it makes a difference.

the game really does look like absolute ass on the PC even with the highest settings.. will the remaining episodes look horrible?

ascii42

My girlfriend is a big fan of the TV series (as am I), but not a gamer; I asked her if she'd be interested in "playing" this with me, and said she'd give it a shot.

I keep seeing people say it runs badly; is it going to be completely off-putting to an observer, who doesn't play games? I don't want to play it first to find out, as I'd rather we both played it blind.

I'll be getting the 360 version, if it makes a difference.
My dad, who rarely plays games, played through the PS3 version and didn't complain.

Finished on Xbox one. Ran rather well IMO, as for the overall game I enjoyed it. As for my telltale background TWD was my first telltale game and I loved it. Passed on season 2, but I liked this for the most part. I do what to play thru it again and see if anything changes. Best thing about this game is true to the universe, it's dog eat dog. Be nice if you want to

Jedi2016

the game really does look like absolute ass on the PC even with the highest settings.. will the remaining episodes look horrible?
The art style and the engine don't leave much wiggle room for how it looks. Resolution and framerate is the only improvement we were ever going to get on PC. You have played Telltale games before?

Bought this based on a recommendation from a friend, just finished Episode 1. Very impressed, it does nail the overall feel of the show remarkably well. And had the right tension in the right places (I felt nervous dealing with Cersei and Ramsey). And the ending surprised me, although it does, again, fit the show.. lol.

Played this a few days ago, my third Telltale experience after a few episodes of WD Season 1 and the first episode of Wolf Among Us. I enjoyed it, though I think I'd have probably enjoyed any half decent GoT game (big fan of show/books).

Played on PS4 and was shocked by how bad the game looks, probably due to the art style choice but Wolf Among Us looks so much better. Everything other than the character models looked so... fuzzy. Thought the established characters were well voiced and written, the new family was okay, some more interesting than others.

One plot annoyance, I met Ramsey at the gate and only allowed him through (yet he still brings the fat guy from the rival family) Suddenly during the unfolding scene, 20 of his guys walk in?? Who let them in?? Totally negated the 'tactical' choice of just letting in one (/two) men. Maybe I missed something.

MacBosse

Damn is no one talking about this game?

I bought it on X1 just the other day and had a blast! I thought that the story and characters were really well written. Sure it has that usual Telltale-wonk to it but I rather enjoy the gameplay too.

And the ending! Can't wait for episode two.

Can I purchase episodes individually or do I have to pay full price upfront?

You can purchase individually.

Played this and the first episode of Tales from the Borderlands over the Christmas break and much preferred this one.

Tales from the Borderlands was fun - thought it had a nice Guardians of the Galaxy comedy sci-fi vibe to it - but I was way more invested in Game of Thrones and the way it ended left me way more excited for Episode 2 than Tales did.

Just hate the wait between episodes.

Guys if you buy the xbox one version of GoT, the season pass says its free. I just bought the first episode and went to see the season pass and it was free.

I saw this on reddit, I think they got it from gamefaqs. Its a glitch I'm sure.

When I played TWD on 360 I would press the guide button to pause the game so I would have a little longer to make choices (I hate timers!). Is there anyway to do this on PS4? Does it auto-pause when you press the PS button?

Boem

Guys if you buy the xbox one version of GoT, the season pass says its free. I just bought the first episode and went to see the season pass and it was free.

I saw this on reddit, I think they got it from gamefaqs. Its a glitch I'm sure.

Are you sure you didn't just buy the season pass when you thought you bought the first episode? I don't think Telltale has sold single episodes in a season for years now, although that might be different on consoles. How much did you pay? Full seasons are generally between 20 to 30 dollars, single episodes around 5 dollars.

Symphonia

Banned
Just completed Ep 1 and, seven hells, dat ending.

I honestly was not expecting Ethan to die, at least not in my playthrough. I met Snow at the gate and commanded he leave his army outside. He comes in to the Great Hall where, to be fair, I do wind him up a bit. Then, somehow, he waves his army in, he attempts to take the sister, and then stabs Ethan. Da fuck? Even more reason to hate that bastard Ramsey.

From a technical point of view, it really isn't that impressive a game. It has Telltale stamped all over it. The animation, the art style, them haunting eyes. The only resounding attribute is the story which, being a GoT fan, I now feel I need to complete so I bought the season pass. But, yeah, game looks and runs like turd. Oh, well.

Are you sure you didn't just buy the season pass when you thought you bought the first episode? I don't think Telltale has sold single episodes in a season for years now, although that might be different on consoles. How much did you pay? Full seasons are generally between 20 to 30 dollars, single episodes around 5 dollars.
It was a glitch that has been fixed now, it was found by people on gamefaqs and people on reddit found out and then i posted here to let people know but no one saw, this OT is dead.

Guerrilla

I want to once more try to get my wife into some gaming goodness and this seems to be a good easy way to get in since the gameplay is so minimal and she loves game of thrones. To make it even easier for her though, i would like to prolong the time you have to make your dialogue decissions, is there any way to do that? Maybe Mods?

Seriously what is wrong with this topic? I mean it's a telltale game and GOT is one of the most popular TV shows ever So why nobody post something here? The second episode will come tomorrow and we still stuck in page 2 :)

Seriously what is wrong with this topic? I mean it's a telltale game and GOT is one of the most popular TV shows ever So why nobody post something here? The second episode will come tomorrow and we still stuck in page 2 :)
The second episode comes tomorrow?? Yessss

MMaRsu

Banned

Well the first episode was quite boring. Especially as a big GoT fan.

Wasn't there some sort of impressions/spoiler thread for eppisode 1?

Anyways, I'm excited for episode two tomorrow.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

No one wants to lose their saves anymore probably. I'm ready for episode 2 though.

MMaRsu

Banned
Come on dude it wasn't that bad. What else can we expect from chapter one of a long story? :)

Well personally i found the lack of interactivity too much. Comparing it with Twd or Wolf among us, i was a bit diasapointed. Ill still pick up part 2 though.

Top Bottom