• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

TimFL

I hate how this is the 636274th game of Telltale and they still havent managed to launch an episode smoothly on Steam. Either they butcher the update itself, the achievements don't work or they forget to add the achievements alltogether.

I so wanted to play this yesterday but oh well, today after work it is then. Like with almost every Telltale game.

Dawg

About
the betrothal

It seems to me like
failing to win her over doesn't seem to seal your fate just yet. She herself mentions it's still up in the air what she's really going to do. She states she is going to delay the announcement, giving you time to get your shit straight. To me, that seemed like her giving you some time to still win her (and her family) over.

jediyoshi

YEAH LET ME JUST THROW THIS KNIFE HERE

It was alright. Feels like the most 'aggressive' I've played one of their episodes in a while. The stakes seem so stupidly high most of it feels like damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My choices
http://i.imgur.com/RtE9qoK.png

3/5 seem pretty skewed, I wonder how closely Telltale still hold on to trying to keep decisions split evenly.

Definitely don't want to fuck Margaery over. I don't necessarily feel like I stood up for Cotter, I just didn't rat him out. It was funny to me how quickly the final guard encounter flipped. Little dude seems too useful to let die.

Plasma

Banned
About
the betrothal

It seems to me like
failing to win her over doesn't seem to seal your fate just yet. She herself mentions it's still up in the air what she's really going to do. She states she is going to delay the announcement, giving you time to get your shit straight. To me, that seemed like her giving you some time to still win her (and her family) over.

I hope so, this is probably one of the first choices in a telltale game I've wanted to go back and redo.

doyoueven

Neo Member
Anyone know why I still can't download episode 2? I'm on the Episodes section of the game menu and it still says 'coming soon'

About
the betrothal

It seems to me like

Of course it is. This is Telltale your choices are only a slight delay, you cannot escape pre-scripted destiny.

Still salty as fuck that the game didn't register my click for "I love you."

Episode 1 threw you in the heat of it all and seemed like a big progressive story but now it just feels like a set up for bigger things to come. Now usually I don't like the type of character that
Asher
is, but for some reason this time I think I like him most out of all playable characters. Oh and
If you pull yourself off a death cart half alive I'm pretty sure you'll get immunity to live for a long while.

Looking forward to the second episode. The ending to the first shocked me even though I should have expected it really. It's not reached Wolf Among Us heights yet though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That was a decent episode. I miss the design sensibilities of the A-team (who seem to all be working on Borderlands), but the writing was strong enough to win me over for another handful of hours.

Montresor

Are the performance and graphics still horrible on XB1?

Does the theme song intro still have a laughable music skip near the end (in Episode 1, the song skipped like a scratched CD right before the showed Ironwrath).

Does the theme song intro still have awful textures?

Does the theme song intro lie again about the locations covered by Ep2? In Ep1 the theme song intro showed The Wall but we never went to The Wall then.

Is the writing still awful? From skimming some of the responses it looks like this episode has good writing, at least.

jediyoshi

Does the theme song intro still have a laughable music skip near the end (in Episode 1, the song skipped like a scratched CD right before the showed Ironwrath).

Does the theme song intro still have awful textures?

Does the theme song intro lie again about the locations covered by Ep2? In Ep1 the theme song intro showed The Wall but we never went to The Wall then.

How long do you usually make it into the episodes?

Ledhead

Finally a decent opening on ep 2. Still, that vaseline effect is god awful. Everything looks coated in thick gobs of it

I read from a few sources that you should watch up until the end of season three of the show before starting this. Is that true, based off your guys' experience with the game? I am on the last two episodes of season three in the show and enjoy Telltale's games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I read from a few sources that you should watch up until the end of season three of the show before starting this. Is that true, based off your guys' experience with the game? I am on the last two episodes of season three in the show and enjoy Telltale's games.

finish season three, yes.

Mista

Banned
Loved episode 2 as I find it better than the first. But if im not mistaken, episode 1 reviews were better than episode 2.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really like what they're doing with it so far, but the animated intro is... a colossal misjudgment.

TimFL

The game currently takes place between the end of season 3 and the first episode of season 4, so yeah, it's probably a good idea to watch season 3 before starting the game.

They'll probably move into season 4 begin territory with the next (few) episodes.

Just finished episode 2 (spoilers obviously):
- Did not write the letter (also never stole anything from Margaery), don't want to f*** up the relationship with her
- Was neutral during the conversation with Tyrion (not promising anything)
- Offered Ironwood to the girlfriend (and secured the marriage), I have the slight feeling the whole house is going down anyways so I don't care if they end up losing a fortune
- Refused to kiss the ring
- Killed the guard and threw the knife away
- Skipped the credits because f*** Telltale for making me play through the episode again once they get around to fixing the Steam achievements

I just hope that
I get to interact with Daenerys a bit (the episode 6 preview picture shows her so it's promising + Asher encounters Drogon I assume). I don't see how they pull it off though, Asher can either only interact with Daenerys or help his family because if he encounters Dany in the last episode then going to Westeros seems unlikely.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else's save choices not transfer to the next episode properly?

That Telltale quality. Had the same thing happen in the original Walking Dead. Ended up not playing it again until the season was complete.

I decided to restart episode 1 again and make multiple saves after is conclusion, we'll see if everything carries over properly this time. It's a good thing the first episode is so good, though this is a major annoyance. If it does this for the 3rd episode, I'll just wait for the season to wrap.

TripOpt55

Solid episode. I liked the expansion into new areas
Essos and the Wall. Asher seems cool so far.
. Also the preview seemed to tease
Drogon!
which is cool. While the first episode I went against the majority with 3 or 4 of my decisions, I was with the majority on all of them this time. Though I didn't exactly intend to be for the
betrothal

Is episode 2 as ugly as episode 1? Are they still using the worst depth of field effect in the history of graphics?

It's possible that this episode somehow looks worse.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Are the performance and graphics still horrible on XB1?

Performance is absolute shit on XB1.

Their programmers are so blatantly incompetent it is fucking maddening.

It's so bad that it jumps between sub-10fps and 30fps constantly. The worst jumping happens, of course, during the action QTEs... making them a complete pain in the ass to complete.

I failed two of them in this episode alone because the framerate was fluctuating so much that I couldn't move my cursor over the object they wanted me to. I tried them both several times, and the second one was actually impossible to execute because of the huge frame dip that occurs on that part.

Telltale, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER. Seriously, there is zero excuse for this Playstation2-era engine to not at the very least maintain a steady 30fps on a next-generation console. Or if your programmers are so terrible they simply can't achieve this simple goal, lock the framerate at 20. Or 15. Or whatever they can get it to that's steady. Just lock the goddamn thing at the very least.

Haunted

I really like what they're doing with it so far, but the animated intro is... a colossal misjudgment.
It could've been great. The sick tilt-shift/model CGI intro from the show lends itself perfectly to a virtual recreation. Limited texturing, low poly art. But what's in the game looks amateurish at best. Really unfortunate.

Vitor711

It could've been great. The sick tilt-shift/model CGI intro from the show lends itself perfectly to a virtual recreation. Limited texturing, low poly art. But what's in the game looks amateurish at best. Really unfortunate.

Haven't played the second episode yet but I was shocked at how bad the iconic intro was in Episode 1. Like, how do you mess that up? The game sound hitching is inexcusable. And the textures truly are pretty dire(wolf).

I'm still worried about the
key i stole on Ep.1
. It just kept haunting me the whole 2nd episode, god I hope it doesn't bite me in the ass. Ah who am I kidding...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still worried about the
key i stole on Ep.1
. It just kept haunting me the whole 2nd episode, god I hope it doesn't bite me in the ass. Ah who am I kidding...

Of course it won't. There may be an acknowledgement of it, but you should know that Telltale games don't actually give you any agency in how the story progresses.

I did a manual search of Game of Thrones, episode two and it showed up on PSN. ☺️ Don't know why it was not showing up via the game menu.

Cheers

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed the Asher story in this episode. Definitely my favorite character so far.
Which means he's going to die horribly.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Thought I'd chime in, I actually wasn't too impressed by this episode a lot of it felt disjointed and lacking focus. I enjoyed Asher's story the most, although a lot of details have yet to be answered. I also enjoyed how the sellswords from Volantis had purple eyes, that old blood of Valyria is still strong there. But, everything else just felt like killing time. My choices:
-Didn't forge the letter, never stole from Margarey.
-Told Tyrion I could sell him some Ironwood. Although I'm purposely refusing to make an alliance with him considering where he'll end up in an episode or two.
-Stood up to Cotter.
-Secured the marriage by offering Ironwood to Elaena; even with my screwed up face she wants me.
-Refused to kiss the ring. "I'm going to kill that man."
-Walked away from the guard and tossed the knife.

I gotta say I was super pissed watching the preview for the next episode when I saw that
little gutter rat of a boy was still apparently alive. This is after I left him for the guard to drown and threw the knife away. How the hell did he escape that? Like I'm going to trust one of Littlefinger or Varys spies, fuck that kid.

Ein Bear

Another enjoyable episode,
that song at the funeral was really well done.

I do kind of wish that the game's events weren't as entwined with the show/books though. The story feels a bit limited in what it can do when it's trying to fit in characters from the show.
We're obviously never going to get revenge on Ramsey, for example, or get Margaery to really risk her influence to help us out.

Really enjoyed the episode but had a technical problem with the intro was getting black screens with dialogue and then the scene playing again was strange

Violet_0

Banned
-Walked away from the guard and tossed the knife.[/SPOILER]

I gotta say I was super pissed watching the preview for the next episode when I saw that
little gutter rat of a boy was still apparently alive. This is after I left him for the guard to drown and threw the knife away. How the hell did he escape that? Like I'm going to trust one of Littlefinger or Varys spies, fuck that kid.

oh, that's one of the two things I wanted to know.
Telltale doesn't even kill off side characters anymore? That's kind of disappointing. Btw I think 90% of all players killed the guard because the kid kind of saved her life, how very ungrateful of you to just walk away :p
I'd like to hear what happens when you rat on the thief but I suppose he just hides the dagger

foxtrot3d

Banned
oh, that's one of the two things I wanted to know.
Telltale doesn't even kill off side characters anymore? That's kind of disappointing. Btw I think 90% of all players killed the guard because the kid kind of saved her life, how very ungrateful of you to just walk away :p
I'd like to hear what happens when you rat on the thief but I suppose he just hides the dagger
Well, when I played it wasn't such a one sided split, but in any event, when I play the GoT I play to win. Sentiment like that will get you killed, if I killed that guard then it would inevitably lead back to me, better to leave him be and pretend like nothing happened. And, that kid is only seeking to use me being most likely in the employ of Varys or Littlefinger, so I don't care about him.

Dizzy

Banned
I think this episode was better than the last. It was a bit of a slow start last time.

Can't wait to see what happens later. I almost wish I waited until the last episode and then played them back to back.

Top Bottom