• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

I love Telltales games but I never watched the show. Will I enjoy the game if I play it right now?( I don't want to watch the first 3 seasons right now)
It's a different story than the TV show right?

foxtrot3d

Banned
I love Telltales games but I never watched the show. Will I enjoy the game if I play it right now?( I don't want to watch the first 3 seasons right now)

No, you really need to at least watch the show if you have any hope of understanding pretty much anything. The game basically assumes you watch the show and know who all the important characters, organizations, and events are. Also, the very first episode opens with a MEGA SPOILER from the TV show.

JustinBB7

You will just spoil yourself. Even if you say you don't care right now, you might later. One of the biggest events in recent TV shows is spoiled straight away the first 10 minutes of episode 1.

Watch the show first.

Symphonia

Banned
This episode seemed like a downgrade compared to the first, at least in technical terms. The animation was janky, the sound was off in places, the framerate was unexcusable. The only thing keeping me hooked is the story. That said and done,
I really hope Rodrik gets his revenge on Snow, Whitehill and the rest. I refused to kiss his ring and got a slight chill down my spine when he swore he was going to kill Whitehill. Team Forrester, for the win.

Haunted

God, this is such a mixed bag.

We all know our decisions matter little in the long run, but they feel difficult and heavy in the moment, and that's most important. Telltale are usually so good at hiding that in the moment, pretending that the other outcome would be vastly different, so you're always curious "what would've happened if I didn't do this!?" - across the 20 episodes of the various Telltale series I've played, Game of Thrones Episode 2 was the worst at that. After the initial
surprise with Rodrik
, I felt it was very clear and easy to see all possible paths in every scene throughout the whole episode, much less so than in previous episodes of this game and others.

I still like where the story is going and as a huge GoT fan I'm not unhappy with the package, but I still felt I needed to rant a bit about that.

This episode seemed like a downgrade compared to the first, at least in technical terms. The animation was janky, the sound was off in places, the framerate was unexcusable. The only thing keeping me hooked is the story. That said and done,
I really hope Rodrik gets his revenge on Snow, Whitehill and the rest. I refused to kiss his ring and got a slight chill down my spine when he swore he was going to kill Whitehill. Team Forrester, for the win.
Shitty mobile swiping QTEs aside, the fight choreography in the first Asher scene was totally fine... but fell flat and was downright laughable in spots thanks to the utterly shitty animation. Janky, robotic, stiff. Embarrassing.

After the so/so reviews and the general unhappiness with episode 2 from others i was pleasantly surprised with how much i enjoyed it..

Heck my biggest complaint was that steam achievements weren't working until today so I'll have to go back and replay again.

It kind of felt like a filler episode of the actual show.. where not too much happened but you're hoping was some solid setup. The only bad part of this instead of waiting a week we'll wait what? 6 weeks..... :( and the
song
at the end was great!

I didn't watch the preview or see review and I really like it. It was smoother overall for me than the first ep as well (on PS4). I did get my first ever decision that was in the less than 10% concensus in a TT game.

WaLlbaNg

Wow at this amazing episode, especially
the funeral/ending scene together with Talia's song ;(
. For me this is on the same level as the show and you really feel intensively with the characters.

I was so fucking sure that Mira would die after the Lennister soldier showed his intension....wow

Montresor

Performance is absolute shit on XB1.

Their programmers are so blatantly incompetent it is fucking maddening.

It's so bad that it jumps between sub-10fps and 30fps constantly. The worst jumping happens, of course, during the action QTEs... making them a complete pain in the ass to complete.

I failed two of them in this episode alone because the framerate was fluctuating so much that I couldn't move my cursor over the object they wanted me to. I tried them both several times, and the second one was actually impossible to execute because of the huge frame dip that occurs on that part.

Telltale, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER. Seriously, there is zero excuse for this Playstation2-era engine to not at the very least maintain a steady 30fps on a next-generation console. Or if your programmers are so terrible they simply can't achieve this simple goal, lock the framerate at 20. Or 15. Or whatever they can get it to that's steady. Just lock the goddamn thing at the very least.

Sounds disgusting. There are so many positive impressions in this thread though. So... does the game run well on PS4 or Steam?

It's really a shame that this garbage developer has released such a substandard effort on XB1.

It's really a shame that this garbage developer has released such a substandard effort on XB1.

While I am enjoying the game for the most part, as I have other Telltale games, the performance and glitches are really getting out of hand. I haven't complained about any of Telltale's games thus far on that front, but it's really bad. There are so many hiccups and random blurry, pixelated spots, pauses in the animations...And worse, I keep getting glitches in Telltale games where the game "forgets" that I played previous episodes and brings me forward with choices that I didn't make and randomizes my decisions instead. That's all these games are about is decisions. How can they not fix this, it's a recurring issue across several of their games.

Great. The previously on doesn't match my choices.

I'm playing the Xbox One version.

I really should stop buying Telltale games.

lt519

Sounds disgusting. There are so many positive impressions in this thread though. So... does the game run well on PS4 or Steam?

Mostly because people are playing it for the story (a bit of a Stark rehash but still fun in it's own right) and overlook the crappy gameplay QTEs and janky visuals. It's no 10/10, heck even a 9/10, but the story is fun and the decisions certainly feel weighty enough in the moment (and that's all that matters, the ride). If you aren't a fan of the show I definitely would not play this game.

Roto13

I don't know what effect they're using for the shimmering but they need to stop

They really need to tone down the filter on things that move. It's fine on most objects, especially ones in the background, and the textures on characters away from the edges look nice, but the constant flickering on the edges is just bad.

Looks great when not in motion, though.

iuBVuMp4FLKAT.jpg

iSsQslte8Pi8b.jpg

Anyone else having terrible stuttering and performance issues on the iPhone version? I can't even get through the intro. Like characters repeat bits of dialogue and everything.

You'll have arguably the biggest twist of the show spoiled for you immediately if you play it.

LordOfChaos

1: Episode 2 seems even uglier, like they switched to extra strength vaseline.

2. Is it normal that there are long ass gaps between the autosaves? I did the whole training on the Wall thing with the swordfight etc, and then it went to the garden scene with what's her face. I quit there last night. Today it made me do the whole training thing again Not the first time I noticed this either. Is that normal?

2. Is it normal that there are long ass gaps between the autosaves? I did the whole training on the Wall thing with the swordfight etc, and then it went to the garden scene with what's her face. I quit there last night. Today it made me do the whole training thing again Not the first time I noticed this either. Is that normal?

I had this exact problem in the exact spot.. so far this is the only stretch i've noticed it... was 15 mins worth for me i had to redo. once i saw the garden i thought i was for sure safe... wrong..

Mista

Banned
It's set in between seasons of the show, he probably won't know what's going on. Still surprised there's people with an internet connection who haven't watched GoT yet though.

With all due respect its not the end of the world if one didnt watch GoT

Theres people who dont like TV shows

Rodhull

I think all mine came across. There was one point where it seemed to refer to Ethan doing nothing when Ramsay grabbed his sister when my Ethan didn't but the there was stuff later on in the episode where it suggested the opposite.

Not sure if it was the choice coming across wrong or just an inconsistency in the script.

Rodhull

Starting to think maybe my choices were just close to the default episode 1 choices then as I don't have the choices screen on my game like a lot of people are also having issues with in the telltale games forum thread linked to in there.

Logging into my telltale games account on their site it only seems to have saved 2 of my decisions from episode 1 and none from episode 2.

As much as I like Telltale games maybe people are right in that it's better to only play their stuff once all episodes are out as they seem unable or unwilling to fix issues that come up while they're still releasing the game.

Rodhull

What intro is this? Their version of the TV shows opening credits? If so sure it doesn't look anywhere near as good but I think that's a bit nitpicky.

Brakara

Logging into my telltale games account on their site it only seems to have saved 2 of my decisions from episode 1 and none from episode 2.

They saved none of mine's from episode 1, and only one from episode 2. I guess that's what I get for buying the season pass. One thing's for sure, though, I'm not buying a TT game ever again.

Dawg

Yup, I don't know why they felt they needed to downgrade the intro visually even more than it is in the show.

I don't know why the entire game is downgraded. Life is Strange isn't exactly high-tech but at least it looks more genuine and convincing.

stephen08

I don't understand why they just didn't just reach out to the HBO team that handles that. Surely they could have rendered something far better for them to use. Like really what would they have had to do? Come up with an intro for Ironrath and just do the usual swooping around to locations.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't know why the entire game is downgraded. Life is Strange isn't exactly high-tech but at least it looks more genuine and convincing.

Woah, woah slow down now. An actually good looking game from Tell Tale, are you high or something? Next you'll be asking for a new engine that wasn't built for a PS2 and maybe even some actual gameplay and puzzles on top of that.

LordOfChaos

Woah, woah slow down now. An actually good looking game from Tell Tale, are you high or something? Next you'll be asking for a new engine that wasn't built for a PS2 and maybe even some actual gameplay and puzzles on top of that.

I'd point to TWAU, its engine was the typical Telltale crap fare, but at least the comic book style worked well visually.

In GoT, the mixture of half realistic textures and the vaseline smear failed water painting look just don't jive well. It's the worst of their recent games I've played imo. Though TWAU was probably more of the odd man out, for getting away with looking decent with basic textures in a comic style.

I know we all know the game isn't actually tailored by the way you play and that choices don't really matter, but it was quite jarring seeing that in the preview
the coal boy is still alive despite the fact that I ran away and never looked back, are we to believe he somehow manage to get free from that stranglehold?

Overall I found episode 2 to be quite boring honestly, no much of anything happened, like if they are just dragging this out to make it 6 episodes instead of the usual 5

Roto13

People say that art style trumps technology, and there's a lot of truth to it, but Telltale seems to want to go all in on art style without upgrading their ancient engine and there's only so much you can do with 3D worlds and a nice coat of paint.

antitrop

Episode 2 finished, I really enjoyed it!

The action scenes were much better than the first one, and it opened up a lot of interesting, new plot opportunities. Very excited for Ep3, bunkering myself down for the wait now.

But the graphics, animation, and performance on PS4 are absolutely atrocious. It would be okay if they weren't distracting, but they are.

And
Talia's song
at the end was absolutely terrible.

ascii42

People say that art style trumps technology, and there's a lot of truth to it, but Telltale seems to want to go all in on art style without upgrading their ancient engine and there's only so much you can do with 3D worlds and a nice coat of paint.

If Telltale's games ran well, I'd be fine with how they look.

Guerrilla

I refuse to continue if i cant play with the choices i made.

This fucking sucks telltale. I can live with all the visual issues, but this just takes the cake. There isnt exactly a lot of gameplay in these games and whar little is there is made absolutely meaningless by this.

Im utterly disappointed and sad about this...

I refuse to continue if i cant play with the choices i made.

This fucking sucks telltale. I can live with all the visual issues, but this just takes the cake. There isnt exactly a lot of gameplay in these games and whar little is there is made absolutely meaningless by this.

Im utterly disappointed and sad about this...

Telltale games are always comes out with graphic issues and low frame rate but seriously I don't think the save issue is their fault. The problem you are talking about is happen only on X1 version. There are more games with the same problem on X1. I am not 100% sure this is the TT problem.

Here is the source
http://www.xboxachievements.com/new...e-of-Thrones-Hit-By-Save-Bug-on-Xbox-One.html

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The greatest thing about choices not carrying over is that the choices are the only thing that is actually a "game" in these things.

So, basically all Telltale had to do was make the only aspect that made their projects a "game" work, and they couldn't even do that right.

They aren't saving 3d position data. They aren't saving world state. They are saving three booleans. Three booleans, and they can't figure out how.

These guys are absolutely pathetic.

Guerrilla

Telltale games are always comes out with graphic issues and low frame rate but seriously I don't think the save issue is their fault. The problem you are talking about is happen only on X1 version. There are more games with the same problem on X1. I am not 100% sure this is the TT problem.

Here is the source
http://www.xboxachievements.com/new...e-of-Thrones-Hit-By-Save-Bug-on-Xbox-One.html

Never had that problem with any other game. Either way this has to get fixed asap! And I seriously hope I don't have to play through the first ep again :/

Anarion07

Just finished Episode 2.
I liked it a lot more than episode one, actually.

Plus what really stood out in this Episode, for me at least, is the GREAT camera/character placement in some shots.
As in, a really great composition and positioning of the scenes.

e.g.: Rodrik in the middle of his hall: "I'm going to kill him"

Cilla

Finished Episode 2. I liked it. I chose any choice. Even the harder ones for Mira because I hate her and I know it won't change the outcome. False choice and all that.

The episode was a downgrade though. It ran pathetically on PS4.Laggy, Jerky. The animation seemed so.. Bad. I even had on two occasions the characters repeat the last/first word of their sentence. Plus it crashed during the credits.

Haxxona

Banned
I'd point to TWAU, its engine was the typical Telltale crap fare, but at least the comic book style worked well visually.

In GoT, the mixture of half realistic textures and the vaseline smear failed water painting look just don't jive well. It's the worst of their recent games I've played imo. Though TWAU was probably more of the odd man out, for getting away with looking decent with basic textures in a comic style.
I definitely get annoyed at the waterpainting faces all over the game, its not what I think about when watching GoT and its not really something I wanted in the game either.

I just started The Wolf Among Us, this evening, and I was flabbergasted by how much better it looks, animates, and performs than Game of Thrones, on PS4.

Its as you say, TWAU had the better animations and the style of the enine definitely suited it better. I think TWD and GoT would need a different style than the style they have across their table on all of their titles.

I really hope the delay to TWAU2 does exactly what we want and that is that their engine is either swapped out or heavily improved.

TimFL

I really hope the delay to TWAU2 does exactly what we want and that is that their engine is either swapped out or heavily improved.

Isn't the new CEO the guy who wants to hold onto the current engine? I read somewhere that the new CEO was partially responsible for the engine they use today and that he has no interest in replacing it.

And where did they confirm TWAU2? I only know of TWD3 being confirmed (I hope no more Clementine though...).

Top Bottom