• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACOK
The Tickler has been cast so I'm guessing on the way to Harrenhall they meet up with the Mountain's men.

The whole ending was bad even if you didn't read the books. Guy tripping and setting a small patch of ground on fire. The fire next to the prisoner wagon was laughable too. Arya with no fighting skills.

Yoren was a badass this episode though.

That
Blackwater budget
strikes again.

Next week preview shows Davos smuggling Mel in his little boat so I'm guessing they are condensing the 2 shadow attacks into one or at least changing the order.

No, Yoren telling her some story doesn't really cut it.

So I guess this is where I ask you if you've read the books?

[Pretty much up through where I've read, beginning of DwD]:
Arya's nightly prayer and Quest For Vengeance, basically introduced in this "some story" is like her defining characteristic.

But no, it means nothing without sneaking out through a trap door lol

I am fully behind sacrificing "cool shit" for spending more time on her dealing with her father's friggin' beheading just a few days ago in show time. I like how people are complaining about things being "rushed" when they gave her like a six minute dialogue scene that's crucial to her character and sets up her motivation for the rest of the series.

But oh no she ate worms or whatever.

Yeesh.

Yeah, it's only about 2 chapters lost not half her arc and the scene was great. Oh no, no Weasal! The Yoren scene was great too.

Spoilers on a different character in ASOS
Well not really a different character but people get pissed if you suggest a character survives the various books. If they really need to have her see a bunch of dead bodies they can also do that next season when Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie wander around the Riverlands some more, assuming they do the show that way. The only thing I'll miss this season if they don't do it is where she kills the Bolton guard.

Yeah, it's only about 2 chapters lost not half her arc and the scene was great. Oh no, no Weasal!

Spoilers on a different character in ASOS
Well not really a different character but people get pissed if you suggest a character survives the various books. If they really need to have her see a bunch of dead bodies they can also do that next season when Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie wander around the Riverlands some more, assuming they do the show that way. The only thing I'll miss this season if they don't do it is where she kills the Bolton guard.

I meant TV series.

jett

D-Member
So I guess this is where I ask you if you've read the books?

[Pretty much up through where I've read, beginning of DwD]:
Arya's nightly prayer and Quest For Vengeance, basically introduced in this "some story" is like her defining characteristic.

But no, it means nothing without sneaking out through a trap door lol

Eh. Apples and oranges.

Content Roundup

7fuHJl.jpg

Reviews:
- Westeros.org
- WiC.net
- Onion A|V Club
- EW.com
- memles
- Sepinwall
- Televisionary
- Maureen Ryan's review + an interview with D.B. Weiss
- IndieWire
- Poniewozik
- Grantland
- The Atlantic
- OtakuASSEMBLE's video review (youtube)

HBO Content:
- Preview for next week's episode *please spoiler tag any discussion* (youtube vid)
- Inside the Episode (HBO video, I'll post the youtube copy later if I see it)

Amory Lorch and his guys were told to get Gendry not someone with black hair. Also it's not like the Lannisters would point all that all of Robert's bastards had black hair because that would get some people thinking.

The bastards the soliders killed appeared to be identified by someone, well at least the baby and Gendry. We have to assume the others.

Amory Lorch and his guys were told to get Gendry not someone with black hair. Also it's not like the Lannisters would point all that all of Robert's bastards had black hair because that would get some people thinking.

The bastards the soliders killed appeared to be identified by someone, well at least the baby and Gendry. We have to assume the others.

didn't the armorer describe gendry?

seems pretty half assed to just go around asking for someone named gendry

my son is also named bort

ultron87

Guy identified as Gendry who was carrying the very distinctive helmet that Gendry was identified as having. That seems conclusive enough for guards.

zomaha

But without knowing the mother, they could easily assume Robert had fathered a blond child, obviously. They did pledge fealty to Joffrey after all.

Would they not have been briefed about Gendry having dark hair, though? Seems like a major detail to leave out.

EktorPR

I didn't like this episode as much as the previous ones this season.

Reason why: it took a step back, visually. After four superbly shot (and acted) Alan Taylor episodes, it was jarring to see the camera and lighting back to square one, reminiscing of earlier episode aesthetics in Season 1. All the King's Landing scenes suffered greatly because of this (particularly noticeable during the final Tyrion/Littlefinger exchange). Editing also suffered, but not as much. The stuff shot for the Renly/Cat storyline looked rough, nowhere near as elegant as I would've hoped. Also, I think I prefer Dave & Dan's writing to Cogman's.

I did like the Tyrion three-way deception scene, as well as Brienne's introduction and the two surprisingly revealing (emotionally) scenes with Sansa. Can't wait for the next episode.

Peff

ACOK
Didn't the cave/cove Mel gave birth in come AFTER the Renly shadow killing event in the books? Esp. with Davos coming along for the ride? Are they going to do 2 shadow babies in 1 episode, or just cull 1 and mix the cave and Davos shadow baby with the Renly one.
Or am I mixing up events now?

Yep, Davos is only present during the second baby shadow that kills Cortnay Penrose. It seems likely that they're skipping that, after all it's not really that important and they can convey Stannis' distrust of his new followers in later scenes, discussing Blackwater strategies or whatever.

I really liked the way the Tyrion scene with Pycelle/Varys/Littlefinger was cut. So awesome.

NEM1R.gif

CrankyJay

Banned
I think Yara is the first casting choice I don't like. Not because she's fat or whatever, I think she looks great. She needs to own that character though, she is way too quiet and broody.

Yah, not digging her. Her character always struck me as more vocal, outgoing, and cocksure. This one is more quiet than I imagined her.

scosher

ACOK
Didn't the cave/cove Mel gave birth in come AFTER the Renly shadow killing event in the books? Esp. with Davos coming along for the ride? Are they going to do 2 shadow babies in 1 episode, or just cull 1 and mix the cave and Davos shadow baby with the Renly one.

ACOK
She births two shadow babies in ACOK, one to kill Renly (which is off screen, and only seen through Catelyn's POV), and the other to kill the warden or whoever in Storm's End, which is when she rides out with Davos. It's likely they're just cutting the latter out, and having the Davos scene now.

Macmanus

ACOK

You're not mixing up events. I think perhaps that they are just going to roll it up into one event. Maybe put Renly actually in Storm's End?

JGS

Banned
Yah, not digging her. Her character always struck me as more vocal, outgoing, and cocksure. This one is more quiet than I imagined her.
She would be competing with her Dad's personality then. The same voice with 2 characters is not that great for TV unless they want to maintain the same conflict. I think they made choices for dramatic effect.

I haven't read the second book yet, but I actually like Yara in the show--I think she's well-acted. People complaining about the actress by saying she is too quiet need to realize that's a function of the writing, not the actress. She is only given so many lines--should she be yelling them? As JGS said, then you'd have two people berating Theon. I think there's a better dynamic to it as it is.

Famassu

I'm not sure if I agree with the "they've butchered Arya's storyline!" sentiment, to me it seems like (small ACOK spoilers)
they might just emphasize her time at Harrenhal instead of spending too much time on the journey getting there.

Edit: might as well spoiler that...

BTW, the preview has a shot of
new Gregor. He doesn't look quite as imposing :(

Episode 4 Preview
Wow, I didn't even consider that was him. Yeah, he's probably tall, but he's physically slight, at least based on the preview. Definitely not as imposing as the original who really looked the part. But maybe his performance will add something.

gutshot

It's interesting, because I recall the episode he wrote for season 1 being one of the weaker episodes of the season, while this episode was great. And Cogman wrote the sexposition scene with Viserys in the tub.

That was actually a David & Dan scene that ended up getting edited into Cogman's episode in post. Bryan revealed this in the episode commentary.

Yes. Conan Stevens left to work on a couple other projects.

He didn't leave, so much as, he wasn't asked back.

I haven't read the books yet so I can offer a fresh opinion on this. I'm guessing that it took Arya a lot longer to trust him in the books but for me it didn't felt strange at all. Gendry simply knew the truth about her not being a boy so there was no reason for Arya trying to withhold that truth. And her knowing that he had something to do with her fathers death made her so curious that she gave out herself easily. But to me it didn't felt that strange. I actually found the scene itself quite funny.

About Lommy you're totally right. From your post I understand he played an emotional bigger role in the books? I didn't even remember the kid's name up until I saw this post. Felt no connection or anything at the moment he died.

In the books, as far as I recall, Arya doesn't trust Gendry until Gendry questions her AFTER the battle takes place because he hears her shout "Winterfell" as a battlecry. I didn't mind it happening earlier on here, but the lack of Arya's participation is what bugged me. I didn't care about Lommey, i didn't care about the timing of Gendry finding out her secret, but that lack of heroism from Arya i think is a huge Omission.

That was actually a David & Dan scene that ended up getting edited into Cogman's episode in post. Bryan revealed this in the episode commentary.
Similar to how the Yoren scene w/ Arya was written by D&D and not Cogman this week, iirc.
He didn't leave, so much as, he wasn't asked back.
Oh really? It wasn't clear from the rumors surrounding it who snubbed who. Oh well, it doesn't really matter at this point.

About them thinking they killed Gendry.
The solders that came back may not have been briefed, they were soliders who were asked to help after the King's gaurd was sent away. Then again, it's still a fair point that someone would have told them about the helmet and the hair.

About them thinking they killed Gendry.
The solders that came back may not have been briefed, they were soliders who were asked to help after the King's gaurd was sent away. Then again, it's still a fair point that someone would have told them about the helmet and the hair.

They know about the helmet, not the hair.

When they were questioning the blacksmith Mott, they ask him how they will know it is gendry. The only thing he tells them is that he carries a Bulls head helm that he made himself.

gutshot

Similar to how the Yoren scene w/ Arya was written by D&D and not Cogman this week, iirc.

Oh yeah? Didn't know that. Did Bryan mention that on Twitter?

Oh really? It wasn't clear from the rumors surrounding it who snubbed who. Oh well, it doesn't really matter at this point.

It wasn't clear at first but Conan's recent post seems to confirm that the recast was HBO's decision, not his:

Conan Stevens said:
I was looking forward to being able to reprise the role for season 02, but it seems like HBO decided to go in a different direction for the 2nd season and I will not be playing Ser Gregor this time around which is a pity.

The Yoren fight is significantly more badass than the Syrio fight from last season. Which makes me happy that the fights are getting better, but saddens me that the Syrio fight was not all it should have been.

agrajag

Banned
That's crazy that they would just recast Gregor, I thought he did a good job. Here's to hoping they decide to recast Yara next season!

That's crazy that they would just recast Gregor, I thought he did a good job. Here's to hoping they decide to recast Yara next season!

I am not that disappointed in this change. The original actor was on screen for about 2 minutes if I recall.

Are you thinking that they recast the Sandor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom