• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Yoren fight is significantly more badass than the Syrio fight from last season. Which makes me happy that the fights are getting better, but saddens me that the Syrio fight was not all it should have been.

I feel this. Although Syrio only has a lead heavy wooden sword, a knock to an armored head shouldn't send you to the ground lol. I did love the little trip/roll thing he did, though.

Every week I have to read a recap to get what I miss during the sex scenes because I'm watching it with my parents and I change the channel during those scenes. It's too bad I missed Loras/Renly/Margery :s

Arnie

Not understanding the general sense of apathy towards the episode; I enjoyed that more than the other two. I preferred the pacing, and, as someone who's read the books, I really enjoyed the scenes they added or adapted.

I thought the Margery and Renly bedroom scene was great, offered great insight into Margery's character, and that she's not some naive little girl desperate for love, but in fact someone looking to play the Game of Thrones.

I thought the way they distilled Arya's motivations was fantastic too, and Yoren's story was brilliant. In six minutes we got all we need to know about Arya's character so far: she's scarred because of her fathers death, and she's learning how to cope with that. I'm glad we're going straight to Harranhal too and not prancing around the riverlands, those chapters really grated me in the books.

The Tyrion scenes were excellent also.

Not understanding the general sense of apathy towards the episode; I enjoyed that more than the other two. I preferred the pacing, and, as someone who's read the books, I really enjoyed the scenes they added or adapted.

I thought the Margery and Renly bedroom scene was great, offered great insight into Margery's character, and that she's not some naive little girl desperate for love, but in fact someone looking to play the Game of Thrones.

I thought the way they distilled Arya's motivations was fantastic too, and Yoren's story was brilliant. In six minutes we got all we need to know about Arya's character so far: she's scarred because of her fathers death, and she's learning how to cope with that. I'm glad we're going straight to Harranhal too and not prancing around the riverlands, those chapters really grated me in the books.

The Tyrion scenes were excellent also.

I beg to differ.

Yes. It's not really clear if he bailed out for The Hobbit/Spartacus or got kicked out for whatever reason, but it doesn't really matter anymore.

Wow, thats unfortunate

I really liked the actor because he really was imposing and brutish

Also seeing Brienne in action gives me the chills and holy cow she's insanely tall

LuchaShaq

Banned
Oh yeah? Didn't know that. Did Bryan mention that on Twitter?

It wasn't clear at first but Conan's recent post seems to confirm that the recast was HBO's decision, not his:

Really dislike the decision.

Original gregor looked intimidating +crazy which is exactly what he is.

New gregor (from what I've seen of him outside of the show) is just tall and awkward, not intimidating or fearsome in the slightest.

Honestly have NO idea why they would bother since 90%+ of the time Gregor will be there to look scary or fight, not rely on his dialogue.

I feel this. Although Syrio only has a lead heavy wooden sword, a knock to an armored head shouldn't send you to the ground lol. I did love the little trip/roll thing he did, though.

Well, what was really badass in the first book, which George RRM comments on in the episode commentary is that because the armor design was different in the book and in his head, Syrio just put the wodden sword through some eye sockets. The way the armor is set in the show they could not do that and I'm bnot sure they would anyway.

gdt

I liked that they changed up Margery, that was awesome.

Rest of the episode was good too. Looooooooooved the scene with Yoren.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This thread is steadily becoming more and more unpleasant to read. I think people need to relax about these book changes. Have you never watched an adaptation before?

I thought last night's episode was the best of the 3 so far.

zomaha

I'm sorry, but who is Yara?

This thread is steadily becoming more and more unpleasant to read. I think people need to relax about these book changes. Have you never watched an adaptation before?

I'm going to read the books after the season to prevent this. Going to start Game of Thrones here real soon.

Finally caught up. I had one question from S1 that I didn't see answered in S2 (might have missed it), so here it goes.

The dragons being born, why did she put the dragon eggs on the pyre? And what happened that caused the dragons to be born?

Or will that be answered in the future...

I thought last night's episode was the best of the 3 so far.

You need to stop being bothered by it and look on with bemused contentment like I do. After all, we're the ones who are enjoying it. When you play the Game of Threads, you win or you complain.

And I know how this game is played.

I beg to differ.

I agree with this. As someone who has read the books myself, I feel like we aren't seeing enough of Arya at this point. As I said before, to people who haven't read the books, I think Arya's character development is certainly suitable, but I can't help but feel like they are missing out on a large aspect of her character. They are getting a scared girl in hiding. Not a scared little girl out for blood for the murder of her father. I mean in my mind, at this point in the books, she is damaged because of this, and it defines her character and the (often hard) choices that she makes.

I don't mind her character on the show, but again, I am disappointed. (ACOK)
Hopefully they at least portray her killing the guard in her escape from Harrenhal, but the path her character is current going, I wouldn't be surprised if Gendry does this instead...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
You need to stop being bothered by it and look on with bemused contentment like I do. After all, we're the ones who are enjoying it. When you play the Game of Threads, you win or you complain.

And I know how this game is played.

Yeah I can recognize that. But it was nice last season to actually have a positive thread where people discussed the show rather than complaining about every single change. That certainly existed but it's way worse this year.

As I said before, to people who haven't read the books, I think Arya's character development is certainly suitable, but I can't help but feel like they are missing out on a large aspect of her character. They are getting a scared girl in hiding. Not a scared little girl out for blood for the murder of her father. I mean in my mind, at this point in the books, she is damaged because of this, and it defines her character and the (often hard) choices that she makes.

I don't mind her character on the show, but again, I am disappointed. (ACOK)
Hopefully they at least portray her killing the guard in her escape from Harrenhal, but the path her character is current going, I wouldn't be surprised if Gendry does this instead...

I really don't get stuff like this, where it's acknowledged that people who haven't read the books would be satisfied but that the books offer more detail.

Why not enjoy both for their specific and wholly separate, intent?

Yeah I can recognize that. But it was nice last season to actually have a positive thread where people discussed the show rather than complaining about every single change. That certainly existed but it's way worse this year.

And it's only going to get worse as the books expand and the series contracts. Just kick back with some honeycomb and basted lamb and enjoy.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

I don't mind condensing her story but I do hope we get to see how the war is taking it's toll amongst the populace.

gdt

Finally caught up. I had one question from S1 that I didn't see answered in S2 (might have missed it), so here it goes.

The dragons being born, why did she put the dragon eggs on the pyre? And what happened that caused the dragons to be born?

Or will that be answered in the future...

No real answer to it IIRC. Maybe it was destiny. Maybe Dany's will brought them back to life, coupled with her pain and anger.

Fire and Blood.

I think new Gregor looks good. Hard to judge his size based on just the picture. Same height, but he is also not wearing pauldrons in that picture, as Season One Gregor wore in every scene. Those certainly would add to his size. The beard does a good job of covering up that he has a much weaker jawline than Conan Stevens, as well.

Yara was bad in this episode. Not even on the looks this time, just her acting. She just has constant brooding face on the whole time, walking around with her glare face on. I just don't like it.

Mayhaps she will become more nuanced later on.

I couldn't disagree more. To me that is the point of this thread. I watch the show to enjoy it, I come to this thread to discuss it. And what better way to discuss than in reference to the bountiful source material, which allows another level of critiquing of what they did, what they are trying to do, and whether we agree/disagree with those decisions. If you want none of this, there is another thread, which is admittedly pretty dead. Most of the book stuff is in spoilers in this thread, though.

This thread is overwhelmingly positive, but that doesn't mean we have to like everything, or that if we complain we don't like the show.

aceface

I think the people upset about Aryas scene are getting what happened before she was captured mixed up with (COK book spoiler)
what happenes to her after she escapes Harrenhal. Thats where she sees all the devestation of the war. As I recall the book, she just putted around with Lommy and Hot Pie for awhile before being caught by Gregor's men. Yes she goes through that horrible stuff with the torturing but
(next episode preview mixed with COK book spoiler)
it looks like torturing is going to happen at Harrenhal...my wife told me they did cast the Tickler. Also with Gendry it looked like on the preview he might be the one getting tortured so maybe the Lannister men do have their suspicions about him being Roberts bastard.

I really don't get stuff like this, where it's acknowledged that people who haven't read the books would be satisfied but that the books offer more detail.

Why not enjoy both for their specific and wholly separate, intent?

My problem is that in season 1 they played Arya's lessons up pretty high and there has been sign of Arya learning anything in the days that followed. if they wanted to portray Arya as a weak scared girl, than they shouldn't have highlighted her training with Syrio so much. This is why I feel like viewers are being cheated.

That being said, It is still early. I just hope they let Arya come out of her shell.

gdt

My problem is that in season 1 they played Arya's lessons up pretty high and there has been sign of Arya learning anything in the days that followed. if they wanted to portray Arya as a weak scared girl, than they shouldn't have highlighted her training with Syrio so much. This is why I feel like viewers are being cheated.

That being said, It is still early. I just hope they let Arya come out of her shell.

Arya is no scared girl. She is a wolf. They won't forget that. The whole conversation with Yoren pointed out where she is going.

Uh, yeah.

And if you recall, she wasn't at super fighting level when her training ended.

Piecake

I don't mind condensing her story but I do hope we get to see how the war is taking it's toll amongst the populace.

cock
I think we will get a good chance of seeing that on either their journey to harrenhal, or when Her, gendry, and hot pie escape. But yea, right now the show is not doing a good job of showing/telling that the riverlands are burning, the peasantry hate every lord and knight, and the foragers are fuck evil

7bcEl.jpg

yrBeY.gif

jett

D-Member
Yeah definitely enjoying the changes/improvements made to Theon.
Undoubtedly gonna make what comes next all the more horrible.

I always figured they'd cover up the Gregor recasting by having him wear his helmet 24/7 and letting the company he keeps do the talking for him. Darth Vader esque. By the time they get round to season 3 conan Stevens should be available again. Guess they can't do that now they've shown his face

Was Ser Loras played by the same actor on season one?

He looks puffy in the current episode

And regarding Theon, was he reluctant on his fathers plan on attacking north and betraying Robb? I can't remember reading that on the books

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
And regarding Theon, was he reluctant on his fathers plan on attacking north and betraying Robb? I can't remember reading that on the books
(ACOK and beyond!)
I think his motivations were expressed more clearly in ADWD. It's been awhile, but in ACOK I didn't feel any reluctance on his part (outside of the Winterfell stuff.)

jett

D-Member
Was Ser Loras played by the same actor on season one?

He looks puffy in the current episode

Yeah no, that's been altered for the show. Best change yet.

(ACOK: Theon)
All my non-book friends and people in the non-book thread, thinking Theon's gonna turn around soon and do something heroic for Robb, lol. I'm wondering when they're going to time the "murder" of the Stark boys. Although the truth is revealed pretty quickly, if they put it at the end of the finale and don't do the reveal until Season 3, holy shit.

anaron

Up until and just after Yoren's conversation with Arya, I thought it was a fairly strong episode. (Sam & Gilly, Loras/Renly/Margaery, Queen Sansa, BRIENNE)

Everything after that was rather...bad. The choreography of the fight scene was atrocious and lacked the sort of tension the situation demanded and I'm not impressed with what looks like a condensed arc for Arya. Yara's depiction also continues to be bland as fuck while further highlighting how great Alfie Allen is in this role.

LuchaShaq

Banned
First SNL clip I've seen in years and I'm reminded of why I avoid the show like the motherfucking plague. The fake voice on the "kid" was enough to ditch the unfunny vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom