• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hermit

tumblr_m4pu0gRCOd1qa5csdo1_500.gif

[/IMG]

Glorious!

haha, I knew there would be a gif of Stanis face the moment I saw it.

I really enjoyed the ep, this one will be great to rewatch when the blu-ray hits. It probably couldn't be done because of budget reasons, but I kind of missed [CoK]
Tyrion doing the jump and run over the shipwrecks. That was also where he got the cut right?
That was one of the most memorable moments in CoK, too bad it couldn't be done.

Also please always put the relevant book before the spoiler. Which book is Plasmid's spoiler from?

Tyrion gets cut the same way in the book, only difference is
at least from what I remember, he is recovering after being knocked off a sinking or exploding ship I think and is extended a hand from Manden Moore before he takes his swipe

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Storm of Swords

AVOID THE SPOILER

Beaten...AMIR0X -_- !!

Thanks guys, it was safe for me. I really need to get around to DwD so I can read every spoiler.

[early DwD spoiler]
bought it at release, never made it past the first Dany chapter :/

beril

This episode was really on a completely different level than the rest of the show so far.

Most of this season has been somewhat unfocused; the overarching story has been a bit loose and the show (and the books) have always jumped between a few awesome characters and a bunch of others ranging from uninteresting to plain annoying. But here everything really came together for an hour of great television and a powerful coherent piece of storytelling. There was a solemn feeling of foreboding as everyone set aside their plots and schemes as they knew how completely fucked they would be if the city would fall. Even Sansa was kindof awesome and Cersei was just fantastic.

And of course it was about 70% better than other episodes by default just for not having any Dany or John.

Majmun

After the excellent Blackwater sauce produced by the show, I have faith in..

AcoK
The house of the undying. The season should go out with a bang, and I think it will. Can't wait to see Dany's hotu experience in film form. Should be good.

Ugh, don't know what I'll do after the season is finished. I think I'm going to play the (shitty?) GoT game, just to get my fix.

It's gone from 62 to 64 and now to 70 minutes. By Friday we'll get reports of a three-hour long finale.

Definitely here for that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
why didn't you make it past?

First time I fell asleep, second time as well. I just... never got around to the book again. For all this time. That chapter man, it's cursed. I know, there's no excuse for this. This summer I finally have a decent vacation and I'll hopefully read the damn thing. It's a miracle I haven't been spoiled on anything yet.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
from the synopsis...

(ASOS book spoiler):
I'm going to be pissed if Brienne cuts off Jaime's hand

No way. I thought that they were going to do something wacky with that but now that they're casting Vargo Hoat for season 3 I'm pretty sure they'll just leave it as it is.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
from the synopsis...

(ASOS book spoiler):
I'm going to be pissed if Brienne cuts off Jaime's hand
I've seen a few people post that and I really don't see them changing how it happens in the show. The only change I can see happening is [ASoS]
having the Brotherhood do it instead of the Mummers.
I'm not worried at all and I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Socreges

Banned
I'm about 10 chapters into AFFC and I can't (yet) understand why it's got such a poor reputation.

Does the majority of the book end up focusing on new characters? Is it perfectly fine, but just a big downturn after the eventful ASOS? Was it the long wait after ASOS that heightened expectations? Please try and answer superficially....

And sorry for talking about it in this thread, but people are much more careful here.

It's gone from 62 to 64 and now to 70 minutes. By Friday we'll get reports of a three-hour long finale.

Run time is listed as 64 minutes on HBO. The time slot is 70 minutes however, VEEP starts at 10:10, so I think that's why they listed it as 70 minutes.

If the actual run time is 70 minutes that would be awesome, but I think it's 64.

I'm about 10 chapters into AFFC and I can't (yet) understand why it's got such a poor reputation.

Does the majority of the book end up focusing on new characters? Is it perfectly fine, but just a big downturn after the eventful ASOS? Was it the long wait after ASOS that heightened expectations? Please try and answer superficially....

And sorry for talking about it in this thread, but people are much more careful here.

Yes

AFFC (not actual spoilers)
Mostly new characters, or at least ones that weren't POV before. AFFC and part of ADWD happen at the same time chronologically, they just cover different characters, so if you are wondering why you're not reading some of the characters POV's that you think should be there, they are probably in the next book.

Altazor

First time I fell asleep, second time as well. I just... never got around to the book again. For all this time. That chapter man, it's cursed. I know, there's no excuse for this. This summer I finally have a decent vacation and I'll hopefully read the damn thing. It's a miracle I haven't been spoiled on anything yet.

and you haven't even got to (ADWD SPOILERS)
her incessant infatuation with Daario~ and his blue beard and his golden tooth and Daario~ Daario~ DAARIO~

Randdalf

Congratulations to Sky Atlantic for doing show trailers over the end credits :(

Amazing episode in general, I just wish there were no advert breaks - it really killed the pace.

bengraven

Apparently the season 2 finale will be 70 mins long. YES.

Source

tumblr_m0ah3mnwvS1qb3ijd.gif

One thing you'll learn when you finish the series and get into the spoiler thread is that people usually like and respect Feast for Crows much more the second time they read it.

Isn't this how the chain is supposed to work? The current traps all the shit in the river and others ships can't get in or out. Or at least this is how I understood it.

And just to mention this again, if you haven't read ALL the books, do not go anywhere near the wiki of ice and fire. It's a great wiki, but it has all book spoilers everywhere.

Fuzzy

Isn't this how the chain is supposed to work? The current traps all the shit in the river and others ships can't get in or out. Or at least this is how I understood it.
Yes.

- ships go in
- chain goes up
- ships are trapped and they get fucked up

I'm surprised how many people were confused while reading it.

bengraven

Yep and it was a very epic moment. I can understand if they just couldn't find room for the chain - looking forward to a GRRM interview soon about the episode.

But the chain going up and Davos going "WTF is that? A chain? Why are they raising a chain over the mouth of the river?". Then the first wildfire hits, trapping them from freedom on the open sea and Davos screaming to turn back but they can't because they can't get over the chain and it's just a fucking massacre.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Knowing FFC's reception beforehand, I didn't expect that much from it. But I loved it! [no real FFC spoilers]
It's completely different from SoS, but it still has everything I love the series for, even though a few storylines are disappointing. It's a great book. Reason for the general disappoinment is probably what you mentioned.

Knowing FFC's reception beforehand, I didn't expect that much from it. But I loved it! [no real FFC spoilers]
It's completely different from SoS, but it still has everything I love the series for, even though a few storylines are disappointing. It's a great book. Reason for the disappointed fans is probably what you mentioned, I think it's a great entry in the series.

This is good to hear, I just started AFFC.

beril

I really doubt the finale can come close to matching this episode. This episode really benefited from focusing on one event while the finale will have to tie up a bunch of things no one cares about.

The most interesting thing is Tyrion recovering and realising how fucked he is, but that's doesn't make for a very dramatic season finale so I doubt they'll focus on that

House of the undying wasn't terribly great in the books, probably won't translate very well to TV and Dany in general has been even more annoying on the show than in the books this season.

Arya has been great in the show though her plot has been completely different from the books. Having already escaped Harrenhall it'll probably just be a quick last encounter with Jaqen and gettin the coin.

I don't really remember if anything happens with Rob.

I guess John killing Halfhand will be in this season but nothing more

Theon losing Winterfell will have to be in there, but having already shown how Bran and Rickon survived there's not really that much left and won't have much impact.

As far as I remember the Brienne/Jamie storyline doesn't really start until book 3 so I doubt they'll do much with it in the finale despite the clip in the preview

bengraven

I haven't read the books, but I assume they changed the wildfire bit for the tv show? I thought it was amazing regardless.

A bit, yeah. In the books, they wait until the ships are trapped in the river then launch wildfire from catapults until the fleet is destroyed.

It's actually much better on the show.

My only issue, though, is it seems they treat it like an explosive, when in reality it's just extremely hot and takes forever to fizzle out - you can't even escape it by submerging in water...I wish we got at least one shot of someone under water, burning.

Speevy

Banned
They need to stop with the Mortal Kombat fatalities.

You can show someone being cut down without watching their body parts turn to pudding in the middle of the air.

It just looks silly.

Congratulations to Sky Atlantic for doing show trailers over the end credits :(

Amazing episode in general, I just wish there were no advert breaks - it really killed the pace.

I raged. I wait 10 minutes before watching so I can just skip the ads, but it's ridiculous when they put the ads over the actual show.

Anyway, 10/10, cersei was great, I liked all the changes, best of the season, best battle on tv, stannis should be king, etc etc

Run time is listed as 64 minutes on HBO. The time slot is 70 minutes however, VEEP starts at 10:10, so I think that's why they listed it as 70 minutes.

If the actual run time is 70 minutes that would be awesome, but I think it's 64.

Yeah, it's going to be 64 minutes long. HBO's site is quite accurate with their original programming. I'm sure it's just airing in a 70 minute slot to give them some more time to promo True Blood/The Newsroom. A 65 minute slot would be cutting it too close.

Fuzzy

This is good to hear, I just started AFFC.
Yeah, I've been hesitant to start AFFC because of some of the remarks I've read but I'll probably start this week and take it slow and hope the paperback for ADwD is out really soon. Any date on that?

Wait! We need the gif where Clegane chops a dude in half from the shoulder. That shit was hilarious.
It was already posted on the same page as your post.

Massa

ibx5HISGV2bnfh.gif

It was very sneaky of them to put this one right before cutting to the attack on Tyrion, making us think his face is about to fall off the same way.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ibx5HISGV2bnfh.gif

It was very sneaky of them to put this one right before cutting to the attack on Tyrion, making us think his face is about to fall off the same way.

I'm bummed that they didn't go all the way with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom