• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

We're still arguing on HBO's Yara? I think this board will flip their shit when they find out about (season 2)
Jeyne Lannister.

I don't have any problem with Yara, as the actress pulled it off quite well in ep2. The spoiler tag got me much more worried, never heard about that before.

They haven't revealed Oonas last name since they've casted her. So people have been speculating they are making her a Lannister but this recent interview pretty much solidifies this as fact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J1o95R3RHJc#t=80s

Unexpected, but you know something? I'm fine with it if it comes to pass. Also, the girl playing ACOK
Ygritte
in that video (that's her right?) is pretty cute.

It'll definitely piss off some people though.

Yeah, I don't see that as a huge issue.

Yup.

The only thing, though, is ASOS
When they kill Raynald protecting Grey Wind. That would seem likely to piss off some Lannisters. Unless all of the former Westerlings are irredeemable fucks, and they are all in on the plot except for Jeyne. But that would remove a pretty powerful scene in my opinion. But I guess they could explain that they are a very minor relation split many years ago.

ACOK spoiler/speculation
She ain't blonde in the series as far as we know though, right?

ACOK/ASOS and AFFC Spoilers too why not
Yeah, but all they'd have to do is bring up the whole thing about Jeyne's mother's family not being from Westeros to explain the difference in appearance if necessary. If I remember correctly her mother's mother was Maggy the Frog right?

ACOK
Lannister blonde isn't as important as Baratheon black. In fact three Lannisters would have had black hair if they had, you know, not been the products of incest

ACOK speculation
Well, they'd be Baratheons technically. It just seems the role of the hair color in S1 and the book are essential to the plot, and it'd be weird to have a fairly important character to have her hair be the opposite color.

You're right though; it's not that important really. Actually thinking about it, I don't think the guy Alton Lannister had blond hair.

And Drizz's hair has streaks of blue and pink, so whatever.

GRRM confirms season 3 is 10 episodes and he is writing episode 7, with a working title Autumn Storms.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Cool, seems they already have season 3 mapped out then.

He says it's roughly the first half of ASOS. Does anyone have any guesses as to what "Autumn Storms" is? It seems to vague of a title to be of any use.

Yeah the title is no help. It rains a lot in ASOS especially during [ASOS spoilers]
Arya chapters.

edit: Although. ASOS Spoilers
The title has Autumn in it. One of the colors of autumn is red. Red is the color of blood, the Lannisters and THE RED WEDDING. Therefore the Red Wedding occurs in episode 7. And yes, I'm just talking out my ass.

Azrael

He says it's roughly the first half of ASOS. Does anyone have any guesses as to what "Autumn Storms" is? It seems to vague of a title to be of any use.

(ASoS spoilers)
Maybe Balon's death? Isn't the official story a strong wind blew him off a bridge?

jayb

Cool, seems they already have season 3 mapped out then.

Yeah the title is no help. It rains a lot in ASOS especially during [ASOS spoilers]
Arya chapters.

edit: Although. ASOS Spoilers
The title has Autumn in it. One of the colors of autumn is red. Red is the color of blood, the Lannisters and THE RED WEDDING. Therefore the Red Wedding occurs in episode 7. And yes, I'm just talking out my ass.
asos
the title for the red wedding episode better be The Rains of Castamere.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I would have to think that GRRM would want to write THAT episode, and I kind of doubt it will be Episode 7 of Season 3, so maybe they are pushing it back.

Altazor

ASOS
That would be my pick as well.

ASOS SPOILERS!!!!
seriously, it's the perfect title. Non-readers would be like "wtf", but when they explain the significance of the song itself, I guess it'd give them some sort of foreboding, this evil omen about Lannister power. And, of course, for us readers, it makes perfect sense :p

Dany

Banned
So where do you cut season 3?

SoS spoilers
I want them to troll the audience with the title, something off kilter. That episode is going to have A LOT riding into it, all the actors seem perfect for that scene, I can't wait....2 years :( oh god!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So where do you cut season 3?
You could easily end it on (SOS)
Dany freeing Yunkai and Jon fleeing the Wildlings
, I reckon. Pretty much where Part One ended, give a chapter or two of Part Two, I guess.

apana

I thought of that, but Dan and Dave have always seemed really excited at the prospect of that episode so I think GRRM may let them have it.

He doesn't really get to decide does he? (ASOS)
I just want them to give it to whoever has proven himself to be the best director and best writer by the end of season 2. Geoge should be consulted a lot on it.

You could easily end it on (SOS)
Dany freeing Yunkai and Jon fleeing the Wildlings
, I reckon. Pretty much where Part One ended, give a chapter or two of Part Two, I guess.

ASOS Spoilers
I really think we need the Red Wedding in Season 3 and that's where it should end, either in episode 9 or 10. Every season needs a defining moment. In season 1 it was the death of Ned, in season 2 it will be the Battle of the Blackwater. There's nothing to level of those in the first half of ASOS. Saving the Red Wedding for season 4 leaves season 3 with too little and season 4 with too much.

He doesn't really get to decide does he? (ASOS)
I just want them to give it to whoever has proven himself to be the best director and best writer by the end of season 2. Geoge should be consulted a lot on it.

Yeah, I don't think he really gets to decide. Dan and Dave are the showrunners so they make all the decisions.

ASOS Spoilers
Alan Taylor is going to do one episode for season 3, he'll get it. And he is probably the best.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I suppose.

I read from that moment in SoS to the end of SoS over a weekend, so it seems like there isn't THAT MUCH left to do after 'that scene', but I could just be mixing up volume of content with how quickly I read it.

apana

ASOS Spoilers
I really think we need the Red Wedding in Season 3 and that's where it should end, either in episode 9 or 10. Every season needs a defining moment. In season 1 it was the death of Ned, in season 2 it will be the Battle of the Blackwater. There's nothing to level of those in the first half of ASOS. Saving the Red Wedding for season 4 leaves season 3 with too little and season 4 with too much.

I agree with you.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
yeah, I suppose.

I read from that moment in SoS to the end of SoS over a weekend, so it seems like there isn't THAT MUCH left to do after 'that scene', but I could just be mixing up volume of content with how quickly I read it.

There really isn't a lot after it. It's all incredible stuff, but volume-wise it's not much. In order to fit the main event into season 3 they'd need to either completely restructure the book or bring a lot forward from books 4/5 into season 4. A lot of that stuff, by the way, is stuff that people whine incessantly about in the books so I'm not really sure why people are eager to displace it in the first place.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Let's all just agree that season four needs to end with [sos]
Littlefinger, the moon-door and Zombie-Catelyn

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I agree about the former but I think the latter needs to be at the end of whatever season the big event is in. That's an integral part of the plot arc.

KingK

ASOS Spoilers

I completely disagree (ASOS)
I've already said in this thread today why ending season 3 on the RW is a terrible, terrible idea, so I'll address your point about not having enough in the first half. Yes, most of the climactic mind-blowing shit happens in the second half, but Dany conquers Astapor and Yunakai in the first half. Having Jon escape the wildlings at Queenscrown, Sam and Gilly getting saved by Coldhands, and Dany routing the Yunkish army in the season finale is a fine place to end it. It may not be as "shocking" as the RW, but letting themselves take some time with the story will really help the pacing, I feel. You can already feel the rushed pace in the first two episodes of Season 2, and it would only get worse if you rushed season 3 just to end it at the RW. Splitting the seasons roughly where the book was split would allow them to spend more than 2 minutes per character in any given episode.

There really isn't a lot after it. It's all incredible stuff, but volume-wise it's not much. In order to fit the main event into season 3 they'd need to either completely restructure the book or bring a lot forward from books 4/5 into season 4. A lot of that stuff, by the way, is stuff that people whine incessantly about in the books so I'm not really sure why people are eager to displace it in the first place.

Pretty much agree with this.

Fuck that. (ASOS)
Keep Catelyn dead imo

Fuck that. That scene is one of my favorites in the series. And one of my favorite moments in any media ever. I literally got chills. Also, you should probably mark your spoiler as ASOS.

apana

I think they might [series spoiler]
just get rid of her because it is kind of lame and this way it lowers their budget. They no longer need to hire her or do cgi/complicated makeup for her. If you really think about it they can have her scenes with Brienne but still avoid showing her.

bengraven

We're still arguing on HBO's Yara? I think this board will flip their shit when they find out about (season 2)
Jeyne Lannister.

.......what?

They haven't revealed Oonas last name since they've casted her. So people have been speculating they are making her a Lannister but this recent interview pretty much solidifies this as fact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J1o95R3RHJc#t=80s

I'm distracted by Ygritte right next to her, but I'm pretty sure that's not proof.

However, if so:
her family are Lannister bannermen anyway that turn to Robb's side, so it's not completely bizarre if she's like a second cousin.

bengraven

I was too. The pictures I've seen of her haven't really done her justice.

That jaw has a life of it's own, but I'm not hating. I can't wait to see her in the show and beyond the show.

I love a cute redhead, me.

dr-who-460_1624601c.jpg

Lothar

Banned
Storm of Swords is my favorite of the books, but cut in half.. I don't know if either half by itself could come close to as good as the first season of Game of Thrones was.

Why can't they just make one season longer than 10 episodes? If they did that, season 3 would certainly get an emmy.

To KingK
Dany routing the Yunkish army is about on par with with her story on the final episode of S1. But Dany is really a side story away from the main story. What will be the finale and the climax for the rest of the cast?

bengraven

If it's episode 7 of SOS (which I'm going to refer to S3 and 4 as), I don't think our man GRRM is going to write THAT episode. It would be far, far too soon into those 20 episodes to happen. Though I do believe they have him on hand to write the more difficult episodes, which seems to be the gist.

The title itself, as someone pointed out, doesn't really give you much to go in in the books.

I'll wait for Gutshot or his loyal readers to try and figure out where that fits in.

Storm of Swords is my favorite of the books, but cut in half.. I don't know if either half by itself could come close to as good as the first season of Game of Thrones was.

Why can't they just make one season longer than 10 episodes? If they did that, season 3 would certainly get an emmy.

To KingK
Dany routing the Yunkish army is about on par with with her story on the final episode of S1. But Dany is really a side story away from the main story. What will be the finale and the climax for the rest of the cast?

I think 10 hours would be rushing it. Especially the latter half where so much important stuff happens. 16 or so could be enough.

I would have to think that GRRM would want to write THAT episode, and I kind of doubt it will be Episode 7 of Season 3, so maybe they are pushing it back.

FAITH RESTORED!

Wasn't the UK version of SOS cut into two halves or something? Maybe they could just follow that.

Yes. Part one ends with ASOS spoilers
Jon escaping the wildlings.

I completely disagree (ASOS)
I've already said in this thread today why ending season 3 on the RW is a terrible, terrible idea, so I'll address your point about not having enough in the first half. Yes, most of the climactic mind-blowing shit happens in the second half, but Dany conquers Astapor and Yunakai in the first half. Having Jon escape the wildlings at Queenscrown, Sam and Gilly getting saved by Coldhands, and Dany routing the Yunkish army in the season finale is a fine place to end it. It may not be as "shocking" as the RW, but letting themselves take some time with the story will really help the pacing, I feel. You can already feel the rushed pace in the first two episodes of Season 2, and it would only get worse if you rushed season 3 just to end it at the RW. Splitting the seasons roughly where the book was split would allow them to spend more than 2 minutes per character in any given episode.

Agreed completely.

ASOS spoilers
Not to mention all the stuff you've mentioned, but most importantly for me is that RW is the beginning of what is basically one long rolling conclusion of many of the character arcs and plot lines from the first three books. It makes much more narrative sense for them to all happen in the same season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom