• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameCube Multiplayer Essentials - Suggestions?

Memles

Before I head off to University, I'm looking to further bolster my Multiplayer gaming capabilities for my GCN. Other than picking up a fourth controller, my other plans are kind of up in the air.

Games I Have

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
TimeSplitters 2
Wario Ware Inc.
Sega Soccer Slam
NHL Hitz 20-03

That's pretty well the extent of my multiplayer lineup, as far as I can remember at the moment. Are there any major multiplayer titles I'm missing out on entirely that can be picked up cheaply (Stares evilly at Mario Party titles for not dropping in price. I understand the reason, devaluing the past title, but damn their hides still)? I've only got a month and a half to sort it all out.

And yes, I'm deciding what video games to buy before deciding what courses to take. My priorities ARE that fucked up.

Memles

Ristamar

Any given EA Sports title, if your friends are into that sort of thing (Tigers Woods is highly recommended). Maybe NBA Street, Vol. 2.

And Beach Spikers!

Penguin

Well for school I got....

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2 players)
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu (2 playerS)
Hunter: The Reckoning (4 player co-op)
F-Zero FX
Def Jam Vednetta
Ultimate Muscle
Wario wAre
Mario Golf
Wave Race
Smash Bros
MArio Kart
Timesplitter 2
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
Soul Calibur II
and Pac-Man Vs

Memles

Ristamar said:
Any given EA Sports title, if your friends are into that sort of thing (Tigers Woods is highly recommended). Maybe NBA Street, Vol. 2...And Beach Spikers!

Forgot Beach Spikers, picked it up for $12 a while back...Vol. 2 is a possibility, and have Tiger Woods 2003. It's good for weaksauce gamers, I guess.

Still torn on which Monkey Ball to pick up, though I will be getting one.

Also, as a question on Pac Man Vs., is Pac Man World 2 crap or at least half decent? I like platformers in general, and Pac Man Vs. seems like the kind of thing anyone could play easily, and I've got (one) SP to use with it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
get the first monkey ball

Monkey Golf 1 is awesome mini golf... monkey golf 2 is lame wanna be real golf game.

R: Racing Evolutioin is 20 dollars as well and is packed with pac man vs.

Ristamar

Memles said:
Forgot Beach Spikers, picked it up for $12 a while back...Vol. 2 is a possibility, and have Tiger Woods 2003. It's good for weaksauce gamers, I guess.

Still torn on which Monkey Ball to pick up, though I will be getting one.

Yeah, MG:TT is much harder. I shot a 39 at Sawgrass in Tiger Woods. It's still a lot of fun with multiple players, especially using the tougher courses, like The Predator.

levious

39 at sawgrass... what sort of settings? I mean tees, rough, pin placement and such.

Ristamar

levious said:
39 at sawgrass... what sort of settings? I mean tees, rough, pin placement and such.

I used my custom, maxxed out player. Eh, it was likely on the easiest settings. I picked Tournament Play, and chose the first Sawgrass Tournament, so whatever the settings provided for that would be...

It took a little practice, effort, and luck to break the 40 mark.

levious said:
Monkey Golf 1 is awesome mini golf... monkey golf 2 is lame wanna be real golf game.

No disrespect, but I prefer SMB2's arcade golf to SMB1's putt-putt, especially when it comes to the more difficult Back 9.

levious

oh ok, short tees are ridiculous... the game can be easy, but you should always play with highest rough, back tees, hardest pin placement... etc.

Some people don't like to turn turbo and swing assist (the color indicator during your backswing) off, but if you do the challenge is upped further.

Even with a maxed out character, it makes shooting a low score much more satisfying.

Worst part about the game is that the rough is too forgiving, even on the long setting. That's one thing I definitely prefer about hot shots.

Jumpman,

I just prefer the uniqueness of the putt putt... not many other modern renditions of it.

I hear you, Lev.

I guess I was expecting SMB1 Golf to be more than putting, which was the case with SMB2 Golf.

Here's to SMB3 Golf!

Ristamar

levious said:
oh ok, short tees are ridiculous... the game can be easy, but you should always play with highest rough, back tees, hardest pin placement... etc.

Some people don't like to turn turbo and swing assist (the color indicator during your backswing) off, but if you do the challenge is upped further.

Even with a maxed out character, it makes shooting a low score much more satisfying.

Worst part about the game is that the rough is too forgiving, even on the long setting. That's one thing I definitely prefer about hot shots.

Yeah, they are ridiculous. I've gone through every course multiple times (I have a 100% completion rate). I merely wanted to go for a sub 40 score without cheating or mulligans or using custom courses, and Sawgrass seemed to be the best route.

We occasionally played with Tour Conditions, and that was fucking tough. I don't remember everything that gets turned off, but it's definitely more challenging. We still shot under par, but only by a few points.

Kuramu

Monkey Target in SMB1 kills Monket Target in SMB2, and since Target is the best reason to own Monkey ball... well, you see what i'm saying

Memles

Kuramu said:
Monkey Target in SMB1 kills Monket Target in SMB2, and since Target is the best reason to own Monkey ball... well, you see what i'm saying

And it's cheaper! Point, SMB1.

levious

Ristamar said:
Yeah, they are ridiculous. I've gone through every course multiple times (I have a 100% completion rate). I merely wanted to go for a sub 40 score without cheating or mulligans or using custom courses, and Sawgrass seemed to be the best route.

I think Scottsdale would be the easiest.

Ristamar

levious said:
I think Scottsdale would be the easiest.

Maybe... there is just something about Sawgrass, though. I really had it nailed down at that time.

Saint Andrews isn't bad either, if it weren't for the high winds.

Tekky

Can't say enough for Bomberman Generations!

You get 4 people, you can never stop playing.

It never gets old.

Memles

On Tiger Woods...I think I might have broken 40, similar scenario to what Ristamar used, with a maxed out custom guy. Game got too easy.

Granted, with my Custom Character from MG:Advance Tour loaded into MG:TT, I can grab a 48 on Tournament Mode, Lakitu Valley, so it's pretty easy too once you get the hand of it.

NWO

Tekky said:

It never gets old.

Bingo we have a winner.

This game can be picked up for $19.99 or under and it NEVER gets old. It also has an average single player mode with it but I haven't even tried it with the kickass multiplayer getting all my attention.

Memles

NWO said:
Bingo we have a winner.

This game can be picked up for $19.99 or under and it NEVER gets old. It also has an average single player mode with it but I haven't even tried it with the kickass multiplayer getting all my attention.

Sounds great...but have heard other great things about Pac-Man Vs.

Thanks for the help, though, folks. I'll see how the price and selection is at EB tomorrow...hoping to track down that $22 Canadian copy of SMB1 I saw at one point, to save a little money.

Hero

Must Haves:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Mario Party 4/5
Wario Ware Inc.
Super Monkey Ball 1/2
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Golf
Worms 3D
Bomberman Generation

If you like RPG's:

FF:CC
LoZ:FSA
PS E1+2
ToS

If you have a modded GCN/Freeloader:

Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 2

I think that sums it up.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Smash Bros
Mario Kart

Not much else.

Online gaming is so much more convenient and awesome than 4 player split screen. I really wish Nintendo would get it's head out of it's ass and make some incredible online games.

teh_pwn said:
Smash Bros
Mario Kart

Not much else.

Online gaming is so much more convenient and awesome than 4 player split screen. I really wish Nintendo would get it's head out of it's ass and make some incredible online games.

no

levious

teh_pwn said:
Smash Bros
Mario Kart

Not much else.

what a fantastic contribution!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I didn't really see the multiplayer potential in Monkey Target, since you can only play one player at a time. It gets kinda drawn out to sit around waiting for everyone else...doesn't give you the right multiplayer party feeling. :/

Volt

I'm looking to buy one of the Mario Party games for GC : which one out of 4/5 is the best ? I'm in Europe, so suggesting either one because of it's low low price in EB/Gamestop/whatever doesn't help. I just need to know which one plays the best/has the best mini-games. Or should I just wait for the inevitable MP 6 ?

Kuramu

Kiriku said:
I didn't really see the multiplayer potential in Monkey Target, since you can only play one player at a time. It gets kinda drawn out to sit around waiting for everyone else...doesn't give you the right multiplayer party feeling. :/

I can see why you'd think that, but it's actually part of why it's so much better than MT2
Once you get to the point where you're trying to land a 5000 x 3 into a slight wind and you've got 3 other guys telling you how badly you're going to fuck up.... yeah, it's a skill ignoring the shit talking when all eyes are on you, and elation if you pull it off

edit: i'd also like to add that it's no different in that respect to Mario Golf.... taking turns i mean. And that sure doesn't stop the game from being multi0player crack

Penguin

Kiriku said:

Wait, I may be mistaken, but can't all 4 people play Monkey Target at once in Super Monkey Ball 2? It's been a while since I play it.

Smash Bros
Mario Kart

Not much else.

Since it makes more sense to set up a ton of wires while you are on a giant campus and can usually find 3 other people to play any time of night....

It never gets old.
I never played, but had my eyes on it, maybe pick it up during the school year if the price is right.

I'm looking to buy one of the Mario Party games for GC : which one out of 4/5 is the best ? I'm in Europe, so suggesting either one because of it's low low price in EB/Gamestop/whatever doesn't help. I just need to know which one plays the best/has the best mini-games. Or should I just wait for the inevitable MP 6 ?
I've only played 4 and the demo of 5 on the Mario Kart demo disc (it's one of my rules about buying yearly sequels), but both are good no matter what, but I believe that 5 has more minigames so I would go with that.

Volt

Penguin said:
I've only played 4 and the demo of 5 on the Mario Kart demo disc (it's one of my rules about buying yearly sequels), but both are good no matter what, but I believe that 5 has more minigames so I would go with that.

Thanks ! I've only just now discovered this series by playing it with my girlfriend and her brothers on N64, so I might as well upgrade to a GC version and go with n°5 !

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No idea how it would be, but I believe that the new Serious Sam GC game has 4P deathmatch , and it's only $20.

Penguin

Volt said:
Thanks ! I've only just now discovered this series by playing it with my girlfriend and her brothers on N64, so I might as well upgrade to a GC version and go with n°5 !

You know I was always lukewarm on the series.

I mean it's a great series, but you really need 4 players and lots of time, I hardly played the one on the n64 because of that, my friends wanted to go for the quick games where you can switch off players and stuff.

Then, I got Mario Party 4 free for X-Mas, can never turn down a free game. I never played that much either, I think I till had a save on my single player game that's never been done.

One day some kid asked me if he could play in school, I just asked him to find 2 other people and sure, don't think I had anything else to do that night. After that, it was just like a rotation of people playing that game. Heck, sometimes I didn't even play just left folks in the room while I worked.

It really is a cool college game, I guess cause you end up with tons of free time.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Godzilla: DAMM is fun. It's no SSBM, but still good.

Pac-Man World 2 is pretty good. It's not the greatest platformer ever, but there's nothing really wrong it either. The stages are set up similar to the Crash Bandicoot games. Its also harder than you'd expect. You can unlock the classic Pac-man games. For $20, with Pac-man Vs., its a good buy.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Penguin said:
Wait, I may be mistaken, but can't all 4 people play Monkey Target at once in Super Monkey Ball 2? It's been a while since I play it.

Really? I've only played the first Super Monkey Ball, so I wouldn't know...:/

Penguin

JJConrad said:
Godzilla: DAMM is fun. It's no SSBM, but still good.

Pac-Man World 2 is pretty good. It's not the greatest platformer ever, but there's nothing really wrong it either. The stages are set up similar to the Crash Bandicoot games. Its also harder than you'd expect. You can unlock the classic Pac-man games. For $20, with Pac-man Vs., its a good buy.

Godzilla: DAMN is an ok game, like you said no SSBM.

I haven't tried Pac-Man Vs yet, but my friend got 2 GBAs so try it when we go back to school, that and I foud them both fo 16 bucks which wasn't a bad buy.

Wario Ware is an intense game, I think it would go so much better without the music because that makes your nerves go.

And this isn't cube only, but the recent LoTR game by EA went over big.

Penguin

CVXFREAK said:
I think Mario Party 5 would surprise some folks.

Is that a good or a bad thing?

A friend brought so we can play when we go back to school, and I will probably pick up 6 whenever it drops.

Memles

CVXFREAK said:
I think Mario Party 5 would surprise some folks.

It surprised me...while I find Mario Party 4's best minigames tend to beat MP5's best (Dungeon Duos, especially), MP5 has an overall better selection (Outside of those damn random ones) and the boards are 10x more interesting due to capsule use. If I do pick up an MP title, it'll be 5, but I think I'll be waiting to have it given to me at Christmas or something...too damn expensive.

Played DAMM, actually, in a rental. It's fun, but seemed a little bit shallow, and just not there. as a complete experience for me.

I'm just pissed right now that I don't have PayPal/EBay set up...some guy (Somehow located almost exactly where I live) on EBay has R:Racing Evolution and Pac Man Vs. for something like $10 Canadian...disgusting.

Thanks again, although we seem to definitely have a consensus on many titles. Bomberman surprises me...finding a copy will be the tough part, I guess.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mario party 5 is really really good. the chance aspect of it really levels the playing field a lot as well. I never played party before but I picked this up. Only problem with it is that the single player is not very good. 3 and 4 is excellent though. Just the mini game tournaments are good for a quicker game as well.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Penguin said:

thats right. stalling was somehow screwed in target 2 though :( you drop a lot faster.

Kuramu

catfish said:
thats right. stalling was somehow screwed in target 2 though :( you drop a lot faster.

yeah, true. there was more wrong with 2 than that. the multiplier stars made the game into a race for stars. the levels weren't as interesting. and overall, taking turns (in SMB1) made for a more pure game, like darts

Top Bottom