• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamers Nexus] Weak Design: PlayStation 5 Thermals, Power, & Noise Testing

I think you dont know

We can debate the scale between a wisper and a quiet library all day, but I breathe louder than that.
If you go by that logic, I am pretty sure you are going to agree that you can tell the difference between a normal conversation and a goddamn loud vacuum or traffic, lol. That also is just 10dB between those.
I didn't say the increase will be damn loud btw, but we will clearly be able to tell the difference.
(Also breathing is only 10dB :messenger_squinting_tongue:)

RaZoR No1

So the memory is running hot, but still can be in the specs from Sony..

Do we know if the PS5 consoles with some graphical issues / artefacts were real or some FUD? If real, then the high heat could be the reason.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you go by that logic, I am pretty sure you are going to agree that you can tell the difference between a normal conversation and a goddamn loud vacuum or traffic, lol. That also is just 10dB between those.
I didn't say the increase will be damn loud btw, but we will clearly be able to tell the difference.

With both consoles you hear noise when you go rest close to them. Even the XSX is very quiet in abnormal scenario, but it is to be expected that getting close to it the huge fan moving lot of air means there is noise (just the volume of air being moved on its own will make noise period) and some people will put their ear constantly next to it and complain but they are more annoying than the noise itself :D.

DonJorginho

Banned
So the memory is running hot, but still can be in the specs from Sony..

Do we know if the PS5 consoles with some graphical issues / artefacts were real or some FUD? If real, then the high heat could be the reason.
There are definitely a small amount of consoles artifacting but this happens in every generation and was there from the moment they started to play games so I would say it is just a faulty GPU to begin with.

RaZoR No1

There are definitely a small amount of consoles artifacting but this happens in every generation and was there from the moment they started to play games so I would say it is just a faulty GPU to begin with.
I know that always only a small amount is affected :D of course unfortunately we had some bad examples, that a bigger amount can be effected (RROD and Ylod).

But can we say it is a faulty GPU if it is an APU? We do not have just a GPU anymore, so if there should be anything wrong, wouldn't the issue be much much bigger?

As someone mentioned in another thread, these kind of artifacts looked like on Pc, if you OC your RAM to high.

But it is good to know, if we should get any small issue with heat that we can just enter team Naked.. 😅

DonJorginho

Banned
I know that always only a small amount is affected :D of course unfortunately we had some bad examples, that a bigger amount can be effected (RROD and Ylod).

But can we say it is a faulty GPU if it is an APU? We do not have just a GPU anymore, so if there should be anything wrong, wouldn't the issue be much much bigger?

As someone mentioned in another thread, these kind of artifacts looked like on Pc, if you OC your RAM to high.

But it is good to know, if we should get any small issue with heat that we can just enter team Naked.. 😅
Oh yeah for sure there a wide array of factors that could make these problems occur, I just believe Sony would have mass tested this and something as important as the temperature of the memory in a console they are making it their goal to make cool that this would have been tested thoroughly, probably an isolated issue I hope!

geordiemp

Not my breathing

Wait until they start saying it, then call them out if it happens. Dont bait others and encourage and engage console wars.
Love how this is picked up out of piles of bait posts in many threads here. I wonder why. lol

Also this wasn’t a bait post. It genuinely happened every time someone with a differing opinion is mentioned here.Thankfully my post stopped it from happening. I should be thanked.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Isn't Sony Infallible? PlayStation 5 Thermal Mods? Thermal Pads?

TIMESTAMPS & TOPICS

00:00 - PlayStation 5 Thermal Benchmark Q&A
00:57 - “Broken” Thermal Pads
03:26 - What Can Users Do About Thermals?
04:42 - What if My Ambient Temperature is Higher?
09:44 - Module Side vs. Module Top Measurements
11:42 - Why Does Removing Side Panels Improve Performance?
15:17 - What About A "More Demanding" Game?
17:01 - Defending Sony Needlessly
21:11 - Will These Temps Affect the Lifespan?
23:33 - Should I Mod My PS5?
25:55 - Would Adding an External Fan Help?
27:28 - Gaming Benchmarks

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Isn't Sony Infallible? PlayStation 5 Thermal Mods? Thermal Pads?

Great video! Steve is representative of the best the PC community has to offer. Gamers Nexus is incredible anybody curious just have a peek at the depth of videos on their channel. Their partner channels like Bearded Hardware and Buildzoid make the GN+ community amazing.
---
"I don't know why the console community is so willing to just accept what is given to them, and assume that there's no room to improve."

That's simple, Steve, and we all know the answer.

Top Bottom