• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that bombed but you wish got a sequel

Lastyou1

Banned
Condemned 2

Freedom Fighters

Gorky-17

Half Life 2 (ok, it didn't bomb)

Spider-Man:Web of Shadows Sequel by Shaba

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Isa Isa For what is worth I don't recall Vagrant Story bombing, at all, just Square not really feeling to put another RPG like this...sadly!

NahaNago

Second Son is the third installment in the Infamous franchise. So its not a game that never had a sequel. Not every game needs to have infinite sequels. Im sure the developers decided to move on from it and now we got Spiderman.

I'm aware that it is the third one I just want some closure to the story. That game just felt like the start of something new, so I was hoping that they would make a few more games , at least probably 2, to finish it out.

Plus the game kinda felt like it didn't know if it wanted to be open world or not. So seeing what they could do if they committed to the open world or large area sections would be nice. I would prefer open world because of traversal but I could easily see a more devil may cry style working for it as well because of combat.

Last edited:

Fbh

Oh, Alpha Protocol too:
Alpha_Protocol_cover.jpg

That was maybe the prime example of "good idea, bad execution". I'd be down for a more polished sequel

Wonderful 101

This one too.
Love that game but with a 78 metascore it got the reviews it deserved (plenty of issues...still in my top 10 though).
Would love a sequel or at very least an enhanced Switch Port.

Titanfall 2.

This one go really good reviews though, and get a lot of praise from the people that actually got it.

But yeah, it deserved to sell so much more. Hopefully after they finish their starwars game we get a sequel

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Catherine: first: I know the game didn't bombed, actually it was one of the best selling Atlus game before P5. Second I don't want Catherine 2, what I want is to make series out of Golden Playground. Witch each game it will have its own story and casts and its unique gameplay that relates to its story just Catherine did.

Drakengard 4: Drakengard 3 didn't do to well and the game had shit performance and super rushed and feels like SE give Yoko Taro barely a budget to work with. But with that all being said D3 had really interesting story and great characters. Thanks to success of Automata I think SE willing to give more budget to Taro for his next game and will love him to make Drakengard 4.

Gravity Rush 3

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Can someone please remind me; Did Koudelka bombed financially or not?

I know it has a spiritual successor in the form of Shadow Hearts but it was not the same, plus the last SH game bombed...

hecatomb

Banned
Legend of legaia was a really fun game, its just to bad it was kind of overlooked, and the legaia duel saga didn't do to well
220px-Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png

kingdoms of amalur reckoning, this game is really under-rated. Its fun game thats more of a action rpg, most likely will never see other kingdoms of amalur reckoning game
250px-Kingdoms_of_Amalur_Reckoning_cover.png

CuNi

Jetsetradio series. Great games but for whatever reason people didn't buy it. There was a video for a new Jetsetradio, but the game was canceled.

Damn, I love the Xbox game! JSR:Future is still my most wanted backwards compatible game for the Xbox one.
Damn I'd even buy a HD Remaster of that! The gameplay and even the music is just so addicting!!

Snoopycat

Banned
I'd like Larian to go make Divinity 3. Divinity 2 was a good, low budget rpg, but now that pcs and consoles have advanced, they could really make a great sequel.

Legend of legaia was a really fun game, its just to bad it was kind of overlooked, and the legaia duel saga didn't do to well
220px-Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png

kingdoms of amalur reckoning, this game is really under-rated. Its fun game thats more of a action rpg, most likely will never see other kingdoms of amalur reckoning game
250px-Kingdoms_of_Amalur_Reckoning_cover.png
I loved Kingdoms. Unfortunate how things went.

Geki-D

Banned
PlayStationAllStarsBattleRoyale.jpg

The first was such a waste of potential. Sony need to treat a new one as a AAA title and give it to a dev who are willing to play it big and throw in the kitchen sink. Seeing the game as nothing more than a side project will never yield anything great.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
titanfall 2 the only good fps sp campaign this gen
fuck what a shame

MAtgS

PlayStationAllStarsBattleRoyale.jpg

The first was such a waste of potential. Sony need to treat a new one as a AAA title and give it to a dev who are willing to play it big and throw in the kitchen sink. Seeing the game as nothing more than a side project will never yield anything great.
Thing is the 1st SSB was much the same, a shoestring budget that Nintendo had no faith in.

Geki-D

Banned
Thing is the 1st SSB was much the same, a shoestring budget that Nintendo had no faith in.
Yes. But thing is back then there weren't any other games like it. When PSBR came out Smash was already an established franchise with the 2 last games already on the market being bottomless pits of content and modes. Sony should have competed, instead they were blind. A sequel would have to be at least on Brawl levels of content and polish.

DiscoJer

Juiced, for the original Xbox/PC. It actually had a sequel, but the original was a fairly realistic street racing game where you had a team. I had a lot of fun just managing the team in races.

It was flawed, but it was fun. The sequel was just a generic street racing game and flopped.

wipeout364

Colony_Wars_Coverart.png

I know it got two sequels but it never made it off the PS1. Would loved to have seen a PS3 or PS4 sequel. Loved the branching storylines and mission structures.
It’s a dead genre on console.

A sequel Mass Effect:Andromeda with proper development time and good budget could fix this. So many loose ends could have been resolved.

WaterAstro

Wow, I was also thinking of Lair before I entered the thread. Amazing!

I actually didn't mind the motion controls, and the graphics on the environment wasn't great, but I liked it. Factor 5 made great arcade fighters.

Pheace

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Didn't do that great but I liked the theme/style a lot, the gameplay wasn't that bad either, it just wasn't really XCOM. I enjoyed it enough to finish it but it absolutely SCREAMED missed potential. Far more base exploitation would've been great as well as gear that affected gameplay more.

Last edited:

SALMORE

Warhammer Space Marine ! i loved the shit out of it even though I don't know anything about the Warhammer series

Pallas

Can someone please remind me; Did Koudelka bombed financially or not?

I know it has a spiritual successor in the form of Shadow Hearts but it was not the same, plus the last SH game bombed...

Actually it is a proper successor, it’s part of the shadow hearts series. I believe the kid with esp in first shadow hearts game, his mother was Koudelka, if you mean the type same of game with Koudelka, then I agree as well.

Lost Odyssey
sbk8hs.jpg

Misadventures of Tron Bonne
16qtk8.jpg

Shadow Hearts series
f1i71d.jpg

Suikoden series
6s9xll.jpg

To be honest, I don’t know if the Tron Bonne game bombed or not but that game was awesome!

Last edited:

Traianvs

As others have said, my pick is Too Human.

It was a decent action rpg, nice graphics, GREAT sounds and music, good gameplay with an interesting use of the analogs on the gamepad. The loot and the skills were good enough with a decent variety of build but the game was really, really short.

What hooked me to this game was the lore and the world building.The idea of this ancient, advanced society in a remote earth past, guided by powerful beings, the Aesir of the norse mithology.

They even produced a well made mockumentary to stealthy promote the game, all about the fictional discovery of an ancient machine, the Goblin Man of Norway. I suggest you to watch it on youtube, it hyped me a lot while I was playing the game

Nymphae

Banned
The Bionic Commando reboot could have been refined into a much better game for a sequel if it hadn't done so poorly.

Rayderism

Split Second. Everything about that game was just so badass. Absolutely loved the music, the gameplay and the graphics, not to mention the general concept of it. I really wish I could get my hands on the soundtrack for that game. Best music I've ever experienced in a game in my 40+ years of gaming. It just sounded so powerful and epic.

I frequently wipe the save, start it over and play through it after having beat it multiple times. Shame it didn't sell well enough to ever get a sequel. It's the only game I've ever triple-dipped on.....bought the PC version, the PS3 physical, then the PS3 digital. Quadruple-dipped, if you count the....ahem.....version I played before buying the PC version.

royox

Mass Effect Andromeda.

The game leaves the most interesting stuff open for a secuel.

>The REAL reason for the Iniciative (Scaping the Reapers)
>Who Killed the director?
>The Quarian Ark
>The state of the rest of the galaxy

I don't know if it bombed but it didn't live up to external expectations. This game in my eyes at least deserves a second chance.

header.jpg

Top Bottom