• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that get too much hate?

I remember all of the hate Castlevania: Lament of Innocence got (and still gets) when it came out back in '03 and after picking it up for $13 at EBGames, I can't imagine why. Sure the level design is terrible but nearly everything else is gold. Combat is fast, fun, and addicting, the orb system is unbalanced but awesome, the relics are pretty cool, the story is interesting and the soundtrack is right up there with SOTN. Yeah Lament lacks any real challenge besides The Forgotten One and Death but overall I feel this game was a very solid first effort and is just as enjoyable as the 2D one. Heck in some ways, especially in combat, LoI outdoes its predecessors handily.

Sonic Rush got too much hate on GAF. a big difference of taste from different player and Demi creating a Hate thread and seeing a bunch of bandwaggonners jump in

Sega doesn't have a good reputation these days, especially with Sonic PS360.

But some just go blind hating without trying some games and just hate on anything Sega..
even the good games

the Sonic Rush hate was so overblown because SOnic Rush is the best game on the DS

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Thread title: "Games that get too much hate?"
Thread content: "I don't think Castlevania: Lament of Innocence for the Nintendo DS get as much respect as I believe it deserves."

I don't understand.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Devil May Cry 2. It's a mediocre game that doesn't live up to dmc at all, but it was fairly decent and had... some good music? I dunno, sold the game off long time ago.

Anyway, point.

High expectations+mediocre game= OMG-SHIT!1 attitude.

AAK said:
God of War got too much unnecessary hate from the DMC army.
every action game post 01 gets shit from the dmc army for not being dmc, or being too much like dmc. even ninja gaiden!

HomShaBom

Banned
g19107j8oll.jpg

Systems_id said:
I remember all of the hate Castlevania: Lament of Innocence got (and still gets) when it came out back in '03 and after picking it up for $13 at EBGames, I can't imagine why. Sure the level design is terrible but nearly everything else is gold. Combat is fast, fun, and addicting, the orb system is unbalanced but awesome, the relics are pretty cool, the story is interesting and the soundtrack is right up there with SOTN. Yeah Lament lacks any real challenge besides The Forgotten One and Death but overall I feel this game was a very solid first effort and is just as enjoyable as the 2D one. Heck in some ways, especially in combat, LoI outdoes its predecessors handily.

Sorry, I can't let that go.

AAK

Brobzoid said:
Devil May Cry 2. It's a mediocre game that doesn't live up to dmc at all, but it was fairly decent and had... some good music? I dunno, sold the game off long time ago.

Anyway, point.

High expectations+mediocre game= OMG-SHIT!1 attitude.

DMC2 had some fatal flaws not just as a DMC game, but as an action game in general. It was about as competant as an action game as Killzone was as a FPS.

Ranger X

Lament of Innocence? You called for me.
The quality of game is also an overall. I can't understand gamers focusing on ONE particular aspect and say "oh, it's a great game after all".

LOI level design is pure bullcrap. This is a flaw at an aspect that is so important in a game that whatever the game is doing right, it's ruined the level design. "Oh but the fighting is good". Hey, in SMB the jumping and power up system is good. If the level would be a long straight without holes in the ground + a power up block here and here (read "bad level design") the game would be totally ruined. The same logic works for Lament of Innocence. The level design just ruined all the game imo. Bad NES games were having better level design for Christ's sake.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

The game was rushed out, showed some promise, and actually had some good moments. It was originally planned as part of a trilogy of games (the story had been written out in novel form ahead of time) and I think had the potential to be a decent series.

That said, it's clear in retrospect that Prince of Persia, God of War, and others figured out a better way to handle 3D adventure game movement. In that respect, it was a failure.

However, I suspect that most people never played it enough to see what was really there.

Manhunt and Killzone. I loved the former's intensity, and the latter's style... derivative as it was, I liked the colors and the gear and the environments and the grime.

I also wonder why the 16-bit Batman Forever games are so maligned. The ones that play like a Mortal Kombat/sidescoller. They're neat and have groovy music.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, lament of innocence was actually pretty fun.

also gotta say two of the three gamecube-era nintendo franchise games--mario sunshine and wind waker--catch quite a bit of undue flak. they're both extremely well done games with some minor flaws (mario sunshine's wonky camera, wind waker's sailing) that get dwelled upon when they're on the whole pretty enjoyable.

Brobzoid

AAK said:
DMC2 had some fatal flaws not just as a DMC game, but as an action game in general. It was about as competant as an action game as Killzone was as a FPS.

Killzone was also vastly over-hyped. but going in without the hype it was competent imo. I never completed it, because I got stuck somewhere, but the core mechanics of the game were fun and the game accomplished things with how the weapons felt like they had knock-back and there was some weight to them.

Similarly DMC2 probably did something right. It had the acrobatics and a great Dante design. The devil trigger design was fun as well, if I recall correctly. the whole game was worth it solely for fighting the despair embodied with the DDT. on the higher difficulties it was actually alittle bit hard trying to get damaged enough to activate it.

firex

Metroid Fusion.

Too many Metroid tards saying "it isn't super metroid" and "the game holds your hand and there's too few secrets" when the sheer number of secret rooms in the game makes up about half of the overall map.

madara

Problemly GAF and its RE4 hate. Yeah sure its controls over the years have improved slower then snail with coffee mug on its back. Sure its onrails and not as explorative as it could be. Yes it relies on violence and macabre scenes which arent that attractive to todays gamer but if you guys only give it chance i think you find its has quite the soul and is enjoyable experience if you keep open mind. :lol

Brobzoid said:
Killzone was also vastly over-hyped. but going in without the hype it was competent imo. I never completed it, because I got stuck somewhere, but the core mechanics of the game were fun and the game accomplished things with how the weapons felt like they had knock-back and there was some weight to them.

Everything about Killzone was top notch... except the way it controlled. If they can fix that in the sequel, I full expect Killzone 2 to be a must-buy.

Synth

Brobzoid said:
Are they having a reverse race? The way the the light is drawn makes it seem they are in a very speedy reverse. :\

apparently that actually happened ingame.. so.. yes :)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
firex said:
Metroid Fusion.

Too many Metroid tards saying "it isn't super metroid" and "the game holds your hand and there's too few secrets" when the sheer number of secret rooms in the game makes up about half of the overall map.

i replayed super metroid a few days ago, and i actually enjoy playing through metroid fusion more at this point. maybe i've just worn myself out on super metroid, but it was just too damned easy, even in the absence of the hand-holding fusion is guilty of including.

NotWii

Banned
madara said:
Problemly GAF and its RE4 hate. Yeah sure its controls over the years have improved slower then snail with coffee mug on its back. Sure its onrails and not as explorative as it could be. Yes it relies on violence and macabre scenes which arent that attractive to todays gamer but if you guys only give it chance i think you find its has quite the soul and is enjoyable experience if you keep open mind. :lol
Who hates RE4? O_O

Brobzoid

Night_Trekker said:
Everything about Killzone was top notch... except the way it controlled. If they can fix that in the sequel, I full expect Killzone 2 to be a must-buy.

no, the pop-up was shit. I remember it being laughably bad. But I now want to play killzone again. :\ thanks stupid thread. >:I

Brobzoid said:
no, the pop-up was shit. I remember it being laughably bad. But I now want to play killzone again. :\ thanks stupid thread. >:I

Okay yes, and it was running on a platform that nearly burst into flames under the effort :lol

Ranger X said:
Lament of Innocence? You called for me.
The quality of game is also an overall. I can't understand gamers focusing on ONE particular aspect and say "oh, it's a great game after all".

LOI level design is pure bullcrap. This is a flaw at an aspect that is so important in a game that whatever the game is doing right, it's ruined the level design. "Oh but the fighting is good". Hey, in SMB the jumping and power up system is good. If the level would be a long straight without holes in the ground + a power up block here and here (read "bad level design") the game would be totally ruined. The same logic works for Lament of Innocence. The level design just ruined all the game imo. Bad NES games were having better level design for Christ's sake.
The level design was the only aspect I thought was completely terrible since it is just a series of rectangular corridors slapped together with the occasional interesting puzzles. Everything else was either good or great in my opinion and worthy of the Castlevania name.

Varjet

madara said:
Are you talking about Killer7?

firex

beelzebozo said:
i replayed super metroid a few days ago, and i actually enjoy playing through metroid fusion more at this point. maybe i've just worn myself out on super metroid, but it was just too damned easy, even in the absence of the hand-holding fusion is guilty of including.
I still like Super Metroid more overall, but fusion is awesome. It's easily my second favorite in the games. It's actually really hard getting everything in the game. It's probably missing some sequence breaking, but then again it has an entire section you can sequence break and get complimented on it.

Perfect Dark Zero - Yes the single player sucked, but the multiplayer was amazing.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Superior to Prime 1 in almost every way, yet many people say it sucked.

Resident Evil Zero - People treat this game as if it was the spawn of Satan. I thought it was great, better than REmake and one of the few games in the series pre-RE4 to try and change up the gameplay a bit.

Killer 7 - This one is debatable, I loved it but I can see why others did not. Still, too many people hate the game. :p

REV 09

the 360 launch, it actually had quite a few really good titles. I just think a lot of people's expectations of what next gen should be weren't realistic which caused a lot of the games to get too much hate.

Ranger X

REV 09 said:
the 360 launch, it actually had quite a few really good titles. I just think a lot of people's expectations of what next gen should be weren't realistic which caused a lot of the games to get too much hate.

Condemned didn't received enough love...

Top Bottom