• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that get too much hate?

Drakengard 2-The gameplay is actually pretty fun. Its fast, not as clunky, deeper, and much more enjoyable then the 1st one. It's also got nice artwork, good music, and an interesting story. The graphics and presentation do kinda suck though.

DOA4, it actually was a significant improvement to the series. It is darn close to rivaling Namco's latest fighters in my book. The smooth online play, after-the-fact patches for balancing, and 4 player tag really give the game legs.

Grayman

Big-E said:
Some had reasons but others were just trolling the game. One guy said you can't upgrade weapons in FF VIII.
well you did have to play for a long time before there was an indication that you could. Why would he keep playing the game that long if he doesn't like it?

Ninety-Nine Nights. I really enjoyed that one, and am astonished by everyone else's reactions. (or maybe not, i doubt people played it long enough to really get the story)

Final Fantasy X. You people are ****ing retards. :lol

oh noes it am has the melodramatic plot yuna whistles and laughs lol bad voice acting all games have great voice acting why cant this one

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
brandonh83 said:
Final Fantasy X. You people are ****ing retards. :lol

oh noes it am has the melodramatic plot yuna whistles and laughs lol bad voice acting all games have great voice acting why cant this one

please, it was linear as super mario. the laughing scene was just icing on the cake. SHITCAKE!

theBishop

Banned
Halo 2 gets too much hate. i loved the level design in the multiplayer. and i thought the arbiter parts of the single player really opened up the universe.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Pretty much all of Rare's console games since last gen. They're certainly not downright horrible as many seem to think.

Speevy said:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I mean, it was sorta fun.

This too.

Brobzoid said:
please, it was linear as super mario. the laughing scene was just icing on the cake. SHITCAKE!

I can understand maybe not totally digging the linearity, but is it really that much of a gamebreaker? I thought it served the story quite well and the game still had just as much to do, if not more than some of the other FF games.

Brobzoid

brandonh83 said:
I can understand maybe not totally digging the linearity, but is it really that much of a gamebreaker? I thought it served the story quite well and the game still had just as much to do, if not more than some of the other FF games.

Yes, it was that much of a gamebreaker. And if you count stupid shit like dodging lightning 100 times as stuff to do, maybe. But that is so wrong, in so many different ways.

Brobzoid said:
Yes, it was that much of a gamebreaker. And if you count stupid shit like dodging lightning 100 times as stuff to do, maybe. But that is so wrong, in so many different ways.

I wasn't a fan of that. But it certainly wasn't the only sidequest. I still fail to see how the linearity was that bad, but you know, opinions and stuff.

There are a lot of things I could mention, but first...

Donkey Kong 64. I got this game not long after it came out and really liked it. Completed it with all 101 golden banannas, actually... I know a lot of people hate it, but it really is a very good game. I just think that people got tired of Rare-style platforming after the first one (for people who played Banjo-Kazooie first; I didn't, DK64 was the first Rare 3d platformer I owned) so 'ANOTHER Rare 3d platformer with lots of collecting' wasn't nearly as appealing as 'a good 3d platformer that does have a lot of collecting' was... I know that I later got Banjo-Tooie and didn't finish it mainly because the game system was getting a bit old the second time around, with how similar it played to DK64.

Anyway, DK64 gets a lot of unnecessary hatred. Yes, it has a lot of collecting. But it also has good level design, lots of stuff to do, plenty of options (so if you are stuck in one place you can just go do something else; there are almost always a lot of things you could be doing...)... it's a fine game. Even if the DK Rap is really stupid. :)

woa, there's plenty of them, the list would be really huge, from games that deserves their hate to games hated because of fanboyism.. anyway, sadly there's more hate than love for videogames nowadays

Brobzoid

brandonh83 said:
I wasn't a fan of that. But it certainly wasn't the only sidequest. I still fail to see how the linearity was that bad, but you know, opinions and stuff.

Linearity isn't bad in concept. It's just that after all the previous FFs(or at least the ones I've played) have been so much freer. It's like GTA4 was a one street at a time(in terms of progression).

I do enjoy the scenery in ffx though, the (obligatory)snow-mountain had an awesome tune if I recall correctly.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
N64: Aidyn's Chronicles: The First Mage.

The game had some SERIOUS problems, but I'm convinced that a good portion of the haters out there never touched it. :(

It did bring the PC RPG style of gaming to a console, and that's always rare.

Brobzoid said:
Linearity isn't bad in concept. It's just that after all the previous FFs(or at least the ones I've played) have been so much freer. It's like GTA4 was a one street at a time(in terms of progression).

I do enjoy the scenery in ffx though, the (obligatory)snow-mountain had an awesome tune if I recall correctly.

See that's why I didn't mind it. I liked the pilgrimage path idea to begin with but the environments were so well done (IMO). I didn't like the idea of a non-free-roaming map ala other RPG's but I thought the game was so good at almost everything else that it quickly became a non-issue to me.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/301/

Predator on NES. It might suck now, but I played the hell out of this game when i got it. :lol

Predator_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Ikael

ffVII, and by a longshot. People need to enjoy a game for what it is, not for what is around it (fanboys, spin offs, merchandaising, attitude, etc). Same can be said about GTA hate.

Brobzoid

brandonh83 said:
See that's why I didn't mind it. I liked the pilgrimage path idea to begin with but the environments were so well done (IMO). I didn't like the idea of a non-free-roaming map ala other RPG's but I thought the game was so good at almost everything else that it quickly became a non-issue to me.

yes, I think the environments were great. But if you could choose which order you'd do the temples it would be much better. Or even throw in the air ship a little earlier so you could back-track or find hidden areas. But I can see how someone coming in with this being their first ff thinking it was better than someone who's an established ff fan.

Joei

Secret of Evermore

That games gets bashed with no end in sight and I honestly thought it was a rather fun game.

FEAR - HOLY SHIT BEST ONLINE MULTIPLAYER SINCE BF1942!!! But it has crappy level design and that's why it gets too much hate

God the gun fights in this game are totally satisfactory!! So realll

Big-E

Doom_Bringer said:
FEAR - HOLY SHIT BEST ONLINE MULTIPLAYER SINCE BF1942!!! But it has crappy level design and that's why it gets too much hate

God the gun fights in this game are totally satisfactory!! So realll

I played the free Combat packed but wasn't really impressed with it.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
intheinbetween said:
sadly there's more hate than love for videogames nowadays
There's nothing sad about it.

A lot of games are outright garbage.

The remaining good games all have parts which some people just may not like.

For example, I object to quite a few responses in this thread alone, because I either think they don't deserve praise or can't fathom how other people honestly believe a worldwide AAA game would never have detractors.

RE4 gets too much hate? Bullshit. If in any other game where the only thing you do is shoot guns and you're not allowed to move and shoot at the same time, everyone would laugh and call it a broken mess. Not when it's RE, though. Either way, you have to search far and wide to see any print or online journalist give this game anything but mountains of praise. Too much hate, my ass.

FF7 gets too much hate? Bullshit. I feel everything about the game is terrible; terrible characters, terrible storyline, terrible battles, terrible graphics, terrible music - it's all garbage to me. If you like the game, that's fine, but to act surprised by the hate it gets is boggling. FF7 is one of the few games that most people in the world actually know about. More people hate on FF7 than Atelier Iris - not because Iris is a better game, but because more people actually know what the hell FF7 is.

I also agree with the DK64 sentiment, it's actually got a lot of fun levels and yes while the character switching and banana hunting is a bit much, there are a lot of good things about it too (It's no Banjo-Kazooie though).

dog$ said:
There's nothing sad about it.

A lot of games are outright garbage.

The remaining good games all have parts which some people just may not like.

For example, I object to quite a few responses in this thread alone, because I either think they don't deserve praise or can't fathom how other people honestly believe a worldwide AAA game would never have detractors.

RE4 gets too much hate? Bullshit. If in any other game where the only thing you do is shoot guns and you're not allowed to move and shoot at the same time, everyone would laugh and call it a broken mess. Not when it's RE, though. Either way, you have to search far and wide to see any print or online journalist give this game anything but mountains of praise. Too much hate, my ass.

FF7 gets too much hate? Bullshit. I feel everything about the game is terrible; terrible characters, terrible storyline, terrible battles, terrible graphics, terrible music - it's all garbage to me. If you like the game, that's fine, but to act surprised by the hate it gets is boggling. FF7 is one of the few games that most people in the world actually know about. More people hate on FF7 than Atelier Iris - not because Iris is a better game, but because more people actually know what the hell FF7 is.

i agree with you, but i don't really get the point of people hating a game just because they don't like it, or just (even worse) because it isn't available in their fave platform

i can't understand why people tend to hate games, you can like it, love it or just don't like it, but hate it? i don't really comprehend it, well maybe that's because i don't "hate" any game, but i've seen/read people bashing games like: Fable, Killzone, Gears of War, Luigi's Mansion, Sonic, Forza, GT, DMC, MGS,etc.. when some of them are, indeen, pretty good games

anyway, this is GAF

Ra\/en

I'm just gonna go ahdead and say perfect dark zero. The single player was a brilliant MESS of epic proportions, and the graphics were a bit shiny, but honestly, the multiplayer was ok.

Mau ®

Prince of Persia: Warrir Within gets alot of hate. I mean yeah the game is buggy but its certainly fun and the combat is awesome.

Silent Hill 4: The Room IMO was amazing. The ideas are innovative, the execution may have been flawed but not to the point of not being playable. I loved the wicked story too.

Final Fantasy X-2: Its damn fun and that's what it was all about in the first place.

Flipmo23

Perfect Dark 64 - An even better multiplayer game than it's predecessor. The single player deserved the hate it got though. But all the trash about the level designs being bad, those ppl must've been on crack. And PDZ was garbage I have to put that in here.

Mario Sunshine - I don't wanna start this all over again, but it was a good game

F-Zero GX - Not sure what people didn't like, maybe it was too hard?

Some more:

Diddy Kong Racing (Better than MK if you ask me)
ESPN NFL 2K5
Animal Crossing
Halo 2

DOA4 is shit, PURE SHIT, and I play the fing game every day. It's like they took a step backwards in gameplay. The enviroments, is my biggest beef with the game. They're to huge, it makes for stillfest and poking. And stun last to fing long. Who cares about slowescaping the damn stun last millions of years. Plus wall damage is like the wall damage in T4 utter trash. Remake DOA3.1 it was the best one in the whole series. Now most people are playing with MLG settings, you know how long matches last? 20 seconds, slightly longer(50 second time limit with poking and winning by time outs) if you are good in the game. You can highcounter with Ryu off the bridge into an Izuna drop and it's takes your whole damn bar. Ha, DOA4 needs to take a que from DOA3 or VF5, because Itagaki messed up big time.

Kevtones

inthezone said:
Silent Hill 4: The Room IMO was amazing. The ideas are innovative, the execution may have been flawed but not to the point of not being playable. I loved the wicked story too.

Totally agree. I revisited it recently and the whole experience holds up wonderfully. Definitely an interesting concept and it was executed pretty damn well.

Cool Boarders 2. The game got a ton of hate back when 1080 came out, but it was then, and still is, the superior game. It had more depth in it's move system (WAYYY more depth) and provided a very satisfying challenge.

Chrono Cross. You may not think it lives up to CT, and it may not, but taken on it's own merits, it's still a fantastic game and one of my favorite RPG's of all time.

FF8. Again, may not be the best FF out there, but it's a long way beyond most other RPG's of the era.

Durante

Here on GAF? FFX - and for that matter, FFXII, though not as extreme. The FFX situation on this board is truly ridiculous.

Brobzoid

WHOAguitarninja said:
Cool Boarders 2. The game got a ton of hate back when 1080 came out, but it was then, and still is, the superior game. It had more depth in it's move system (WAYYY more depth) and provided a very satisfying challenge.

nobody could even begin to dream of hating on COOOOOOOOOOL BOOOOOOOARDERS(2)!
It was all kinds of awesome. My friends and I played the demo to hell and back, the slope-style sessions where you tried for the highest and best COOL, and if you were awesome enough it reset back to the starting one. we were indeed cool boarders.

temp

posting on contract only
146 posts and no one's mentioned Jade Empire. I mean, especially here, this game gets blasted pretty much every time it's mentioned. Or BioWare's mentioned at all. It's not great, but it's an above-average game.

Radius

Yep, right, FFX and FF X-2 - both deserve much more love from everyone.

Toshinden 1-3: They're not less playable than they were when they came out but everyone keeps saying that the gameplay in TSD is abysmal. Can't really understand it since I play all of them every once in a while.

Soul Calibur III: Many people keep telling that this is just SC 2.5 with a tacked on "Chronicles of the Sword" mode. While the latter one is quite frustrating the rest of the game is just perfect. Definitely getting too much hate from non-PS2-owners.

Primal: Good story, good graphics, good music, mediocre fighting system so where's your problem?

Maridia

temp said:
146 posts and no one's mentioned Jade Empire. I mean, especially here, this game gets blasted pretty much every time it's mentioned. Or BioWare's mentioned at all. It's not great, but it's an above-average game.

I'd go as far as to say that it's pretty ****ing great, although way too easy.

Kevtones said:
Totally agree. I revisited it recently and the whole experience holds up wonderfully. Definitely an interesting concept and it was executed pretty damn well.

Same here... I find it the most flawed installment but it's still damn good stuff and it handled the story and characters very well. But even the weak SH games are still damn good... says a lot about the series, IMO.

Top Bottom