• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that get too much hate?

firex

I'm going to add Suikoden 3 too. I just beat it for the first time recently, and it's got flaws, but it's not a bad game. I'd say if anything, it just had to follow up Suikoden 2 so it had big shoes to fill and they couldn't deliver a perfect game.

ant1532

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
"Wind Waker"....but it deserves it....
oh, hell no.

And halo receives too much hate?? Yah right lol. And metroid prime? Seriously...

It's "Games that receive too much hate"

Not "Games that any hate what soever."

Wind Waker will age better then Twilight Princess.

I'm not a Zelda fan but I apreciated the stylisation of WW alot more and felt the charisma of the characters while playing.

TP on the other hand....

You know where I stand. Such a thread wouldn't be complete without Zelda II.

And judging from the worst FF thread, Final Fantasy 5. Story is as important to me as much as the next guy, but really, with the fantastic job system and all, it truly holds up as a game.

so1337

Red Steel. Yes, you heard that right.

It's not excellent, I'd hardly call it good but it's not that bad. Putting aside the fact that the controls can get really wonky and neither the leveldesign nor the graphics are all that impressive you can actually have fun with it. At least I did.

Kevtones

Red Steel - this game is actually quite a bit of fun despite its flaws.

PN 03 - game rules

24: The Game - yeah the gameplay is mostly trash but the presentation is soooo good

Jiggy

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Deeper than people think, but for whatever reason many don't believe that simplifying the move scheme while making the movement scheme more complex is a justifiable alternative to what fighting games usually do, which is having complex move input with simplified movement.

F-Zero GX - Too many insist that this is inferior to F-Zero X, and I don't know why. It's the refinement of everything that FZX did right, and gets rid of everything that it did wrong.

Dead or Alive series - Referring to the fighting games only, of course. Not particularly deep, but all the unlockable quirky costumes are a much better incentive to play the single-player mode than most other fighting games grant.

Star Ocean 2 - A few people seem to think the voice acting and/or poor world map framerate ruin everything. I think the voice acting is hilarious in its campy B-movie quality (even if unintentionally so), and while the world map does suck, the battle system is fun (if very simple) and the matchmaking thing makes the character interactions better than they usually are.

Goldeneye 007 - As playable today as it ever was, as far as I'm concerned.

Dai Kaiju

FFX

It was the first Final Fantasy I played all the way through, and aside from the laughing scene, I enjoyed every minute of it.

The Sonic Adventure titles by far. When they first came out everyone loved them, they get great reviews, very well recieved. Then a few years goes by and everyones opinion magically changes, oh come on. The SA titles were great and they still are.

methane47

Killzone... gets way too much hate especially since the reason for all that hate is just the let down from all the hype...

Resistance FoM getss WAyyy too much hate from the Media and from the GoW crowd..

And don't kill me
Star Wars Galaxy
Gets wayyyyyyyyyy too much hate... The game started out as a great game... and Now its not as good... but its not a bad game right now either... Game just gets too much hate from the people who loved the game when it was first released.

dog$ said:
Thread title: "Games that get too much hate?"
Thread content: "I don't think Castlevania: Lament of Innocence for the Nintendo DS get as much respect as I believe it deserves."

I don't understand.

Maybe you realize this by now, but Lament of Innocence is the first Castlevania on PS2, not a Nintendo DS game. Though your point largely remains.

I dunno, I think hardcore fans in any hobby tend to be too hard on things. It's nature of the beast though. When you experience as much as we tend to, it takes more and more quality to sate us the same way a smaller amount used to. Of course, when no one is watching, it's nice to let down the pretenses and just enjoy a game for what it is.

Big-E

My pics would be Resistance and FF VIII. Almost everyone in the worst FF ever thread insulted this game for no reasons at all.

joetachi

Big-E said:
My pics would be Resistance and FF VIII. Almost everyone in the worst FF ever thread insulted this game for no reasons at all.
nope we had a reason but you dont see it because you liked it.

Crackdown. As it always gets infected by accusations of hive mind purchasing proclivities and, now that I've played the final game, yeah, I can say easily, it deserves not one ounce of hate. Unless what you really hate...

IS FUN.

Big-E

joetachi said:
nope we had a reason but you dont see it because you liked it.

Some had reasons but others were just trolling the game. One guy said you can't upgrade weapons in FF VIII.

Eternal Darkness
Twin Snakes
Not Halo
Metroid Fusion
Fable
Perfect Dark Zero.

Fable was awesome. It seemed like the only reason people hated it was they built their expectations way too high, which is Molyneux's fault, but ultimately I wish people could have just forgiven him and enjoyed the game for what it was.

Adagio

firex said:
Metroid Fusion.

Too many Metroid tards saying "it isn't super metroid" and "the game holds your hand and there's too few secrets" when the sheer number of secret rooms in the game makes up about half of the overall map.
Go sit in a corner and think about what you just wrote.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
firex said:
Metroid Fusion.

Too many Metroid tards saying "it isn't super metroid" and "the game holds your hand and there's too few secrets" when the sheer number of secret rooms in the game makes up about half of the overall map.

Amen, I really liked Fusion a lot and it was damn challenging to boot.

Maybe this thread should be retitled 'guilty pleasures.' *raises hand* Superman Returns here. Sure it has its problems, but they nailed the flying mechanic and the combat isn't necessarily bad, just repetitive.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Crackdown. As it always gets infected by accusations of hive mind purchasing proclivities and, now that I've played the final game, yeah, I can say easily, it deserves not one ounce of hate. Unless what you really hate...

IS FUN.

Oh please, there is almost no hate for Crackdown on this forum.

Oh, I also hate people saying "screw the haters". Especially when haters are greatly outnumbered by non haters. Are people that uncertain about their purchase?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Segata Sanshiro said:
Maybe you realize this by now, but Lament of Innocence is the first Castlevania on PS2, not a Nintendo DS game.
aw goddammit

it's hard to keep track of Dracula games when you ignore half of them and they all have the same style of subtitle. But anyway yeah my point was like "ok the thread asks a general question and all he gets into is one single game".

Anyway my answer to this question is: None.

Sure it's much easier to hate on something than praise it, but games are flawed and such flaws should be acknowledged and discussed instead of rationalized or ignored. For the games I like, I can run down a list of problems each one has or otherwise recognize how the games might not hold universal appeal.

Besides; I donno about you, but universal praise makes me search even harder for flaws.

ShinNL

I've been playing a certain game a lot lately and it's called Monster Hunter Freedom.

The topic is about games that gets too much hate, not just games that are hated. For me, this excellent game is getting too much hate, even though it's not much hate.

It's a shame, because of this hate, people think it's a mediocre game. Not true, not true at all. It's a much better game than most of the legendary games that people have in their minds. But because of the media, this game is overlooked. It's overlooked because people read the same review lines over and over again.

"This game is good, but lack of a good camera and no online multiplayer prevents this game from being excellent."

Lazy reviewers using the same words over and over again expressing nothing.

This kind of hate, it's despicable. 'Hardcore' gamers read this and quickly forget about it.

This game alone is worth buying a PSP for. No, I'm not talking about games like Syphon Filter or Metal Gear Solid. It's not a good library filler, it's a system seller!

Media... 'hardcore' gamers...

Some people make me sick!

Monster Hunter Freedom. Go play it, damn it.

Big-E

Soneet said:
I've been playing a certain game a lot lately and it's called Monster Hunter Freedom.

The topic is about games that gets too much hate, not just games that are hated. For me, this excellent game is getting too much hate, even though it's not much hate.

It's a shame, because of this hate, people think it's a mediocre game. Not true, not true at all. It's a much better game than most of the legendary games that people have in their minds. But because of the media, this game is overlooked. It's overlooked because people read the same review lines over and over again.

"This game is good, but lack of a good camera and no online multiplayer prevents this game from being excellent."

Lazy reviewers using the same words over and over again expressing nothing.

This kind of hate, it's despicable. 'Hardcore' gamers read this and quickly forget about it.

This game alone is worth buying a PSP for. No, I'm not talking about games like Syphon Filter or Metal Gear Solid. It's not a good library filler, it's a system seller!

Media... 'hardcore' gamers...

Some people make me sick!

Monster Hunter Freedom. Go play it, damn it.

Ya that is a good game. The only problem I feel with it is its just so damn massive that it is daunting.

aeolist

Banned
Crystal Chronicles was genuinely awesome if you had at least 2 other people and couldn't have been done as well without the GBA connectivity.

Yes it was a pain in the ass but it was so worth it.

Top Bottom