• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that get too much hate?

temp

posting on contract only
Maridia said:
I'd go as far as to say that it's pretty ****ing great, although way too easy.
Well I think it's ****ing awesome but I'm trying to get people to agree with me here.

chase

Heeeeeeeeeeeere we go.

Eternal Darkness. Haha I totally know it rips off Lovecraft. I'm so smart! Also: not every game needs dozens of button combinations for combat. It's not as good as I remember it but it's nowhere near as bad as this cess pool arrogance and self-righteousness would like you to believe. (Denis Dyack took the bait! Loser! Fat loser!) And Twin Snakes sucks! It's the same, but the fancier cutscenes ruin it! GAFfers just don't like people with a different mindset.

Fable. Sadly, and amazingly, not very good for more than two playthroughs (I was very surprised at that) but a great experience throughout.

Shenmue is kinda 50-50 here, but I can understand why people would genuinely not enjoy the game.

Non-games. I'm as pissed as anyone (probably moreso, actually) at the Wii's lack of good, 'serious' games as anyone, but that doesn't mean non-games suck.

Manhunt. This is a well-paced, genuinely tense game.

Skies of Arcadia. I know a lot of people like this game, but far too many complain that it's trite and cliche. I find the characters endearing, rather than annoying as most characters in JRPGs. Despite hours more dialogue in every FF game since VII, I've felt I've known as much and cared more for the characters in SOA than the FF games.

Wave Race: Blue Storm. The water physics made for a different experience every time, despite the lack of courses.

Star Fox Adventures. I've played through this 3 times and enjoyed it each time.

Rogue Squadron games: Hur hur I've played X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter this game sucks. And I hate all of you who keep bringing up these early-to-mid-90s PC games with early-to-mid-90-page manuals that are nigh unplayable these days, referencing glorious halcyon days that stand as evidence of your superiority.

DOOM 3. Too many monster closets? Yes. Otherwise, the game is fun from start to finish.

Jak and Daxter. People loved this game when it came out but I've sensed a backlash lately. I think it's the best platformer of last gen (Ratchet and Clank aren't platformers).

Primal. This game oozes atmosphere and the characters are wonderful. Shame about the annoying underwater level.

Jade Empire. I think some of the hate for this game comes in reaction to IGN's ridiculous 9.9. It's not as good as KOTOR, but it's not too much worse and it's much more polished.

Oblivion said:
Pretty much all of Rare's console games since last gen. They're certainly not downright horrible as many seem to think.

This too.

Ocarina of Time, with all the praise it gets, cannot possibly be classified as a game that gets too much hate.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
chase said:
Heeeeeeeeeeeere we go.

Eternal Darkness. Haha I totally know it rips off Lovecraft. I'm so smart! Also: not every game needs dozens of button combinations for combat. It's not as good as I remember it but it's nowhere near as bad as this cess pool arrogance and self-righteousness would like you to believe. (Denis Dyack took the bait! Loser! Fat loser!) And Twin Snakes sucks! It's the same, but the fancier cutscenes ruin it! GAFfers just don't like people with a different mindset.

I rarely see Eternal Darkness get any hate. Really, it seems to be one of GAF's golden games.

chase said:
Manhunt. This is a well-paced, genuinely tense game.

The problem I had with manhunt is that it's too half-assed. They went for the shock value but faltered. One weapon has 3 killing animations. weak medium and strong. So if you keep a strong weapon like the bat, you have to watch the exact same murder animation every single time! Your only choice is to go find a new weapon until watching its same animation over and over and over and over.

If they'd have really wanted to shock people, they'd have put a dozen different murder sequences for each and every strength button for every weapon. That would have made the game less repetitive. Because without the gore aspect, you're left with a pretty average stealth game.

I'd say it deserves more hate than it gets. If devs are going to try to be so controversial, they should go all out

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cartman414 said:
Ocarina of Time, with all the praise it gets, cannot possibly be classified as a game that gets too much hate.

I was joking (and I think Speevy was too?). :)

edit: Though, on GAF I'd say the majority of people are detractors for this.

Big-E

WHOAguitarninja said:
Cool Boarders 2. The game got a ton of hate back when 1080 came out, but it was then, and still is, the superior game. It had more depth in it's move system (WAYYY more depth) and provided a very satisfying challenge.

I have yet to play a snowboarding game as good as Cool Boarders 2, I loved that game so much.

Speevy

Banned
It's not as good as KOTOR, but it's not too much worse.

The ONLY thing Jade has over KOTOR is a higher framerate and fewer freezes/bugs.

The game itself has less content, worse characters, and far less engaging quests.

Jade Empire has to be to KOTOR what I can only imagine KOTOR is to the Baldur's Gate people.

EDIT: And I was joking about OoT. How does the highest rated game of reviewing history get too much hate?

RED STEEL!!!!!

I love this game. Hilariously bad voice work and cutscenes, lots of cool weapons, LOTS of missions, controls that when you get used to them feel awesome, and a slack multiplayer that still kept me up until 3am the other night.

sammy

firex said:
Metroid Fusion.

Too many Metroid tards saying "it isn't super metroid" and "the game holds your hand and there's too few secrets" when the sheer number of secret rooms in the game makes up about half of the overall map.

i'm with this man right here ------ one of the best Metroids for sure:

*best booby-traps of ANY metriod game, they are littered all over. and lets not forget that the Primes completely forgot about traps.

*great example of 2d storytelling, and awesome scripted events.

*some extremely challenging bosses.

*great atmosphere and environments on a space-station that makes sense.

*the 'random' pickups actually make sense too and are fun to aquire. and fighting the parasite form after bosses was also good storytelling.

*some of the best 2d metroid art ---- makes me want another :]

the entire game comes together as a tight package ---- sure it holds your hand a little, but the truely hardcore have PLENTY to go back and find.

rezuth

Smiles and Cries said:
Nintendogs and Metroid Prime
jmwxchpu.png

chase said:
Heeeeeeeeeeeere we go.

Eternal Darkness is the best game on the GC... I said that when I first played it, and nothing has changed my mind since (Metroid Prime comes closest, but not quite). I'm not sure if it really gets lots of hatred though...

Skies of Arcadia. I know a lot of people like this game, but far too many complain that it's trite and cliche. I find the characters endearing, rather than annoying as most characters in JRPGs. Despite hours more dialogue in every FF game since VII, I've felt I've known as much and cared more for the characters in SOA than the FF games.

People hate Skies of Arcadia? ... okay, some people hate anything... still, it is a pretty popular game, and for good reason... it's very, very good.

Wave Race: Blue Storm. The water physics made for a different experience every time, despite the lack of courses.

Then why was Wave Race 64 better? Oh, it's okay, but not as good as it could have been... and would it have killed them to give it all-new courses instead of repeating half of the ones from the first game?

Star Fox Adventures. I've played through this 3 times and enjoyed it each time.

Easy, boring, and repetitive... 'extremely mediocre' is an apt descrition, I think. Rare could have done so much better... the game deserves the criticism it gets (though it isn't a truly BAD game. Far too often people misuse 'bad', when they just mean 'this game was not as good as I was expecting it to be'... Big Rigs is bad. SFA isn't anywhere near that level. It's just definitely not as good as it should have been, and that greatly impacts how much fun a lot of people had playing it...)

Rogue Squadron games: Hur hur I've played X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter this game sucks. And I hate all of you who keep bringing up these early-to-mid-90s PC games with early-to-mid-90-page manuals that are nigh unplayable these days, referencing glorious halcyon days that stand as evidence of your superiority.

TIE Fighter is better than any console flying game ever made... I do like the Rogue Squadron games a lot too (got my GC at launch with just Rogue Squadron II, and it was worth it), but there's no way they can compare to stuff like TIE Fighter. A game with Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike's graphics and TIE Fighter's gameplay... THAT is what dissapointed me, that nothing like that exists. :( Rogue Squadron does what it does, arcade flying action, very well. ... and yes, Rebel Strike was a great game too. THAT game does get undeservedly attacked... while the on-foot parts weren't great, they really weren't that big a part of the game, and the flying, speederbike, and walker parts were fanstastic, as was the 2-player mode! Really the only bad thing about the game is that they couldn't get a four player dogfight mode running acceptably, that would have been awesome.

slade

Genji 2. It's a fairly enjoyable game and it does give you something of a fix (on screen display) to alleviate the bad camera angles.

Mejilan said:
N64: Aidyn's Chronicles: The First Mage.

The game had some SERIOUS problems, but I'm convinced that a good portion of the haters out there never touched it. :(

It did bring the PC RPG style of gaming to a console, and that's always rare.

If they had waited to put this on the GCN, it would have been a bigger hit, I think. The N64 just couldn't handle it, it was too ambitious.

inthezone said:
Silent Hill 4: The Room IMO was amazing. The ideas are innovative, the execution may have been flawed but not to the point of not being playable. I loved the wicked story too.

Even though I think SH3 is technically a more solid game, I enjoyed 4 a tiny bit more. At least it tried to do something new, even if it stumbled. And yes, the story was cool.

Kevtones said:

Seriously, Winback was a very solid, enjoyable game. Terrible storyline but as far as gameplay goes, it was a lot of fun. I don't know about the sequel, I heard it was horrifically bad.

chase said:

How is the heavily Lovecraft-inspired storyline a detriment? It does Lovecraft far more expertly than any game I've played, even better than Call of Cthulu and that was official Lovecraft.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'd like to go on the record saying Xenosaga 2 gets hated for all the wrong reasons. And is simultaneously loved for all the wrong reasons.

AVclub

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I think Ridge Racer 7 got a lot of hate with people saying it's exactly like RR6 for 360. I've played both games to death and they are very different in terms of gameplay mechanics, technical specs, graphics and style. Both games are pretty fun arcade racers, but RR7 seems to have way more replay value, better visuals, less loading time and more refined interface.

Speevy said:
The ONLY thing Jade has over KOTOR is a higher framerate and fewer freezes/bugs.

The game itself has less content, worse characters, and far less engaging quests.

Jade Empire has to be to KOTOR what I can only imagine KOTOR is to the Baldur's Gate people.

EDIT: And I was joking about OoT. How does the highest rated game of reviewing history get too much hate?

Ah. Duly noted.

Though I have yet to play either KotOR or Jade Empire, I can imagine the same transitory metaphor thing as being true from what I've heard about them. Baldur's Gate I + II are legendary amongst western RPGs. Funny thing is that I've only played half way through I but completed II as well as its expansion.

A Black Falcon said:
Eternal Darkness is the best game on the GC... I said that when I first played it, and nothing has changed my mind since (Metroid Prime comes closest, but not quite). I'm not sure if it really gets lots of hatred though...

Around here it does. Eternal Darkness is a victim of a GAF hate crime.

Do a search.

The entire Tenchu series. Now, I haven't played anything past Wrath of Heaven (and I'm not going to play those awful DS and PSP games) but the original and WoH are great (screw the second game).

Sure, it's no Splinter Cell but nothing beats the feeling of jumping onto a demon's shoulders and breaking its neck without touching the ground.

Link1110

Ar Tonelico.

Seems to get lots of hate, but its a masterpiece, and will be on my top 10 games of 2007, just a question of how high.

Frenck

Banned
Jade Empire gets too much hate, it's a wonderful and unique game. It was never meant to be like KotOR or Baldurs Gate, it was a step in a new direction for Bioware.

F-Zero GX - Too many insist that this is inferior to F-Zero X, and I don't know why. It's the refinement of everything that FZX did right, and gets rid of everything that it did wrong.

it is inferior to FZX in the main aspect: Time Attack. the game is so flawed that having a good time attack competition is impossible due to bad techniques and flawed physics. also, the AI is horrible because it either cheats or sucks.
it does things different to FZX btw since it's a different engine. i'll concede that graphics are better and that it has more stuff to do and unlock. the music sucks though.

also, FZX + Expansion Kit is definitely superior with the track editor alone. i'll take the track editor over anything GX offers any day of the week. here's hoping it comes out for the VC eventually.

a game that gets lots of hate is F-Zero MV. people seem to hate it because it has brand new characters and worlds and because it reuses gameplay from the first one.

another hated game is Metroid Fusion. sure it lacks sequence breaking and has unskippable dialog but once you get past that, the game is quite good actually.

the Mario Party series seem to get lots of hate too. they are quite enjoyable when you have friends around. while there should be less MPs overall, they are still good (but mp 3 and 4 are not quite on par with the rest)

Berserker

Traditionalist gamers that are stuck in their conventions who try to hate on Super Smash Bros for being a progressive fighting game, because god forbid that genre sees some changes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I loved Aidyn Chronicles, but it was SO wrong for N64. God, venturing into the snowy mountains to find that troll hut was HELL.

Top Bottom