• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you didn't play because of their art style

Arklite

Dust is pretty off putting for sure. Also skipped stuff like Psychonauts and that other highly lauded game with the photographer (?) and talking pig due to not liking the designs. I don't think its shallow to skip something over its art, though. Always a risk, particularly if you're going for something highly stylized.

Hyunkel6

I came close to ignoring "A Link Between Worlds" for its art style. Then, a colleague lent it to me, and I finished it in 4 days.

Five

Banned
There's a certain brand of sterile cuteness that took over mobile games by storm and I can't stand it. Usually, I won't let a game's art get me down, so long as it doesn't hamper gameplay, but Farmville-style generic cute is something that really keeps me from being able to play a game.

Kimaka

Long Live the Queen. I have nothing against the anime style, just the way this game does it.

It's hard to describe why I hate it. It is kind of like eyes are pasted on her face.
aa9081ed9aae4210fc82e15b987f9cb9e5bfedc4.jpg

I'm not sure why the in-game models looks cheap to me compared to this which looks fine.
226a29122960c3640ac1dd2c13339f8871fff65f.jpg

I bought it because I really like the idea but haven't played it. Maybe I'll eventually get over the artstyle.

Ito

I came close to ignoring "A Link Between Worlds" for its art style. Then, a colleague lent it to me, and I finished it in 4 days.

The screenshots of this game looked horrible, and so did most of the gameplay videos.

But when I played it on my 3ds with 3d mode enabled, I was totally amazed. The water, the light effects on the soil, everything looks really pretty.

Servbot24

Banned
Long Live the Queen. I have nothing against the anime style, just the way this game does it.

It's hard to describe why I hate it. It is kind of like eyes are pasted on her face.
aa9081ed9aae4210fc82e15b987f9cb9e5bfedc4.jpg

I'm not sure why the in-game models looks cheap to me compared to this which looks fine.
226a29122960c3640ac1dd2c13339f8871fff65f.jpg

I bought it because I really like the idea but haven't played it. Maybe I'll eventually get over the artstyle.
woah! someone paid me to do art of this character and i had no idea what it was. wonder if my drawing is in the game anywhere.

ss-hikaru

For me, it's probably the Atelier games. They sound interesting but I just can't get over the pedoriffic aspect to these games. No, I don't want to see a 12 year old girl's asscrack.

Surely the girls in Atelier aren't 12? They don't look that young on the boxarts, more like 18/19? Well, put me in the group avoiding Atelier based on art style. I'm actually the sort that is more likely to play a game if it's got anime styled art but I cannot bring myself to play Atelier, it's just waaaay too frilly and detailed, I feel like my eyes are gonna bleed looking by just looking at the cover. Too much pastel. For some reason that combination just does my head in. I keep getting told I would like the game though. I guess I also kinda avoid Neptunia as well, I must have an aversion to copious amounts of bright/pastel colours.

Noticed lots of people mentioning FF9. When I was a kid I know I didn't want to play it based on the character designs, but I'm playing it right now and I think it looks much better in the games cutscenes than the cover art looks. Don't really get what's up with Amarant's design though.

I got really hyped for ALBW to start with but that died a bit when I saw screenshots. The character designs were fine but I couldn't stand the colour palette! That too looked fine in game though.

Brink. That game had some UGLY ass characters. First time I saw a screenshot I pretty much decided I would never play it. I mean...just look at it...

YouTube-CGRtrailers-BRINK-Launch-Trailer.jpg

Dice//

Banned
Oh, how I wish I could go back and change my initial answer of El Shaddai to this. There's nothing I hate more in this world than Studio Ghibli's art.

I like the studio enough and the animation is crisp and clean... but my god, the main characters suffer TERRIBLY from same-face

I think the one who looks "most different" is Arietty.... cuz her hair is curly. :mad:

b0vncsqy0j0il7doibyo.jpg

Dezzy

I thought the game was kinda fun, but I really hate that art style. Same goes for Team Fortress 2 to a lesser degree.

IvNqtb3.jpg

Really? I thought it was absolutely amazing. One of the most visually impressive games I've ever played.

For me, it's probably the Atelier games. They sound interesting but I just can't get over the pedoriffic aspect to these games. No, I don't want to see a 12 year old girl's asscrack.

K3uEWXm.jpg

That's the MOST STUPID way to present information i've ever seen.
What bother me is that most people won't check and believe this is a regular design when this is just a cosmetic dlc like many other franchises have.

Way to mislead people .

Not to mention that your facts are wrong.
12 years old , really ?
Pedorific ?
Atelier games are about time management and you spend most of your time in that item menu ... it's like you never even played the damn game. Your post is not even about the "art style" but some pedorific aspect you got in your head.

Here is a battle video for atelier meruru , in case you wann know How atelier games really are

I love how just about every post in this thread is either shitting on Hard East or Hard West. Where's the love-hate for middling aesthetics?

I'm not a fan of Honne's overly saturated style:

7-jurassic22.jpg

1.jpg

That being said, I always hated the look of the characters of the Baten Kaitos series:

Lyude_3D.jpg

Urgh, is he wearing a tie without a shirt on?

I've already stated my opinion regarding a lot of the more modern Legend of Zelda designs(well, at least OoT and onward).

Anything going for photorealism. So, basically, most Western developed modern games. Give me cartoony, give me comic book style, give me anime, give me something tough to categorize! But give me something that looks like it could exist outside my window and you lose my interest.
I agree. I know it sounds wrong, but I just don't respect art direction that goes too much in the realistic direction. Especially if it's aiming for a more "grounded in reality" look, rather than a world that draws more heavily from sci-fi or fantasy(because at least then the art direction HAS to stray from the norm and try to get creative visually). When it's games about real-life inspired cities and normal clothed people, cops and gangs and car chases, yeah, like GTA, it's not really appealling to me visually. It's like, "I can go walking down the street and see the same thing!". I can understand how some would like it(more so the theme of the game, which is more important than the look), but it doesn't interest me at one bit.

And yeah, I do care for more stylish games. I love cel-shaded games(a LOT), especially if they try to go for a comic-booky or cartoony feel. You can also go crazy regarding the designs. Characters don't have to look as realistic as possible and can adhere to whatever the artist's style dictates. Sometimes you can let them cut loose. I'll admit, I might not like some of them(a lot of the art styles I dislike seem to be result of the artists going crazy), but I respect the art more than if they did the generic "realistic" look.

Final Fantasy IX. Supposedly it's the perfect game for me, as it's a send beck to the classics. I'm pretty mild on VII and I hate VIII and X. I just look at the characters, and go blegh.

It kinda annoyed me at the time that people were trying to justify the "look" because "that's what old school FFs were all about!". I doubt that when Sakaguchi and crew were designing FFI-FFIII, they had THAT look in mind. SD sprites were just a result of limitations(you could add more detail to squat sprites than you could at sprites that try convey a "full proportioned" character). And even as far as the classic look is concerned, I think the classic FF minions captured the classic look flawlessly:

original

Hell, I'd kill for an ULTRA retro HD FF done in the style of THAT! That or a FF that uses Amano's art as the base style(but is in full HD and offline).

I love FFIX(one of my favorite in the series!), the look of the characters took some time to get used to(mainly the faces and Zidane's hair). Still, oddly enough, I prefer it over some of Nomura's worst.

A lot I can agree with in this thread. Bioware games (Mass Effect, Dragon Age), Dust, El Shaddai, Injustice, Street Fighter IV, and Darksiders.

Final Fantasy IX though? By far the best looking PS1 FF game.
Graphically, it is. I think the movement also beats out FFVIII(and FFX). FFVIII, the characters moved extremely stiff, like their cloths were full of starch(FFX sometimes gets the awkward movement thing too, which is why when I initially played it, I wondered if Square didn't learn from what good they achieved in IX and took a step backwards, which is pretty much a lot of "signs to come").

friz898

Persona 1, 2 , 3, 4, or any SMT game.

Which is a shame because I enjoy jRPGs and sRPGs. (devil survivor)

Also as a Vita owner, I feel like I shouldnt tell anybody that i refuse to play P4G.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Interesting thread...

I can honestly say I've never avoided a game due to the art. Its sad when folks judge a book by its cover like that.

The title of this topic is "Games you didn't play because of their art style." No shit jamsy hasn't played it.

Considering the damage this screenshot has done for no reason in this thread i'm sure gonna complain.
Heck it's not even about the art style , nor the design of the game but some notion about those games that comes from nowhere.
I sure won't hold back the fact that his impression has no value in reality

Skull Girls art style really put me off from even trying it. Funny because my cousin was like "oh you like fighting games do you play skullgirls?" "nope."

ryamkajr

Banned
JRPGs are super diverse when it comes to their artstyle, saying you don't stand the artsyle of every JRPG means you probably hate almost every type of art.

Nope. A like a lot of thing, and many RPGs. Just no JRPGs.

The inane stories... The ridiculous art styles... The craptacular (more often than not) gameplay.

Yes, I have sampled many. I have (briefly) watch Let's Play of all of the help repped ones.

Can't stand any of them.

If you like them, more power to you! I am addressing the topic of the thread, and my response still remains all JRPGs.

Nimby

Banned
Interesting thread...

I can honestly say I've never avoided a game due to the art. Its sad when folks judge a book by its cover like that.

Agree, to some extent. Just because I know I've been guilty of it before, styles akin to iOS games and Scribblenauts are really the only ones to deter me.

Nope. A like a lot of thing, and many RPGs. Just no JRPGs.

The inane stories... The ridiculous art styles... The craptacular (more often than not) gameplay.

Yes, I have sampled many. I have (briefly) watch Let's Play of all of the help repped ones.

Can't stand any of them.

If you like them, more power to you! I am addressing the topic of the thread, and my response still remains all JRPGs.

Jrpgs goes from Dragon dogma or the souls series to things like persona , dragon quest or even more cutesy thing like pokemon.

They are all diverse in that aspect. I won't argue the fact that you may have tasted many ( or all ) nor the fact that you might dislike them but it's kinda hard to believe that given how WIDE your answer is , nothing at all managed to hold your attention.

I don't generally let the art style completely impair my ability to get into a game, so long as what you're offering is at least functional and satisfying to play.

But having said that, Dragon's Crown is an exception.

As is the entirety of moe. Hyperdimension wotsitsname is unlikely to be something I will ever bother getting into. Same goes for any Compile Heart game.

terrisus

but it's kinda hard to believe that given how WIDE your answer is , nothing at all managed to hold your attention.

Well, not so much that they didn't manage to hold his attention, but, as the topic is "games you didn't play because of their art style," that they are otherwise games he would have played, that he didn't solely because of their art style.

SEGIII

Neo Member
Aside from FEZ, I find the 8-bit facade in indie games to be pretty gimmicky. It's gotten to the point where "indie" is almost synonymous with "modern take on retro games".

I hate most western game design. Its very plain, and im tired of games going for hyper realistic. I only really like bethesda art direction, but only jijustst barely

They also tend to do weird things with character animation.

Toku

Banned
Lots of hate on this thread for anime-style games which I get. I'm not a fan of the super-moe cutesy-ness either, but I can tolerate it if the game is alright. For those who are normally not into anime-style games, I'm just curious what do you think of Persona 4's aesthetic?

p4g1119121600jpg-f2b620.jpg

Anyway back to the topic at hand. I found myself totally off-put by the art of Space Pirates and Zombies (SPAZ).

SPAZ-Banner.jpg

The game sounds great, it seems like something I would really like. But I just can't get past the art. I feel pretty bad about it because I'm pretty sure the dev did all the art by him/herself, and I respect that. I just can't look at it for more than five minutes.

Screen_13.jpg

Interesting thread...

You know, I used to think this way as well, but I've come to accept that certain shallow aspects of games can turn people off enough to the point of them being unplayable. I've forced myself through games with fantastic gameplay that I couldn't get into because of the visuals.

That being said, I would NEVER judge a fan of any art style regardless of what it represents. I won't call Atelier or Monster Monpiece fans pedophiles. Hell, I won't even call icecream one since she doesn't show the same attraction toward real people. It's just art styles we're talking about here.

Mozendo

Lots of hate on this thread for anime-style games which I get. I'm not a fan of the super-moe cutesy-ness either, but I can tolerate it if the game is alright. For those who are normally not into anime-style games, I'm just curious what do you think of Persona 4's aesthetic?

Just going to say this even though I like anime-style games, the necks are just damn terrible.
Why he draws such long necks? I don't know. At least he covers them up mostly.

Five

Banned

Great question! Personally, I think it's good art, but it doesn't appeal to me at all. So I have to wonder if it's just me recognizing that it's culturally foreign or if it belongs to an art style I don't care for.

Top Bottom