• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMESCOM / Impressions from the show floor

GlamFM

Banned
I know a bunch of us were at Gamescom or are still going.
Thought a thread with impressions would be nice.

I´ll start:

Forza 2

Looked better than I expected, played great. Not entirely sure how I feel about driving through fields with a Ferrari.

Driveclub

This is a weird one. I played it twice on two different tracks. First on was muddy and grey looking, jaggies everywhere (even on objects) and a really ugly skybox.
Second one was great. It really seemed like this game could benefit from another delay to reach its full potential.

Assassins Rogue

BlackFlag 2. Forgot how last gen looks… Will probably be just fine.

The Order

Looks great, transitions work as advertised, plays super clunky. It´s always hard to get a solid impression in such a short time, but it didn´t feel good at all. Shooting felt off, too.
Not sure.

Sunset Overdrive

Was set up as a 8 player co-op survival thing. Non of us knew what they were doing - it was complete chaos. Looks and moves nicely. This is not a game that demos well in 10 mins. Potential.

Metro Redux

Great game looking better now.

Dying Light

Love the concept and the parcour stuff. Controls could be more responsive. Feels like Dead Island.

Yoshi Wooly World

Game of the Show! Never expected this, but I had so much fun. Looks and plays fantastic.

Splatoon

Yes!

Diablo UEE

It´s Diablo, on PS4

Assassins Unity (Hands off live Demo)

You guys saw it - it´s fantastic

Dragon Age III (Hands off live Demo)

Yes

I have the feeling I´m forgetting stuff. If something comes to mind I´ll update the OP.

nib95

Banned
What was the first DriveClub track you played on? Could the TV settings have been messed up? Maybe sharpness was turned up too high or something, because none of the direct feed released videos (of every track featured at the show) have shown such extremes regarding IQ issues thus far.

Also, what games will you be playing next, if any?

GlamFM

Banned
What was the first DriveClub track you played on? Could the TV settings have been messed up? Maybe sharpness was turned up too high or something, because none of the direct feed released videos (of every track featured at the show) have shown such extremes regarding IQ issues.

I´m pretty sure the TV settings weren't helping. Can´t tell you which track I played first - sorry.

mocoworm

The Order
Looks great, transitions work as advertised, plays super clunky. It´s always hard to get a solid impression in such a short time, but it didn´t feel good at all. Shooting felt off, too.

Not sure.

That wasn't expected. This is a massively hyped exclusive. Is it subject to further change? What is the release date? Did any of the booth people acknowledge the clunkiness. Was it mentioned to them?

Sunset Overdrive
Was set up as a 8 player co-op survival thing. Non of us knew what they were doing - it was complete chaos. Looks and moves nicely. This is not a game that demos well in 10 mins. Potential.

The articles have all said that the learning curve is steep at the beginning. You need a good hour to 'get' the controls and settle in. Your comment is consistent with this.

oti

Banned
The Order being disappointing is what I've been hearing from other gamescom attendees as well.

That wasn't expected. This is a massively hyped exclusive. Is it subject to further change. What is the release date?

what exactly is so unexpected about hearing the order plays clunky? its looks very generic and the devs even admitted they cant get around gameplay because its a game but they focus on story. this game is going to flop so hard

nib95

Banned
I´m pretty sure the TV settings weren't helping. Can´t tell you which track I played first - sorry.

Can you describe the look? I believe there are 3 tracks being demo'd at Gamescom. Scotland (fair degree of greenery, glum weather and a mass of sea to your right), India (lots of dense vegetation, humidity, mud) and another country with a snowy mountain like track.

All three feature in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L427Tt7Dk6Q&feature=youtu.be

mocoworm

what exactly is so unexpected about hearing the order plays clunky? its looks very generic and the devs even admitted they cant get around gameplay because its a game but they focus on story. this game is going to flop so hard

... it's a bit of a shock to me because whenever GAF gets into a console war in a thread, The Order is always brought up by SonyGAF as a massive upcoming game that will be an amazing exclusive. I just expected it to be... really good. I was looking forward to it based on the hype. That'll teach me I suppose :)

GlamFM

Banned
That wasn't expected. This is a massively hyped exclusive. Is it subject to further change? What is the release date? Did any of the booth people acknowledge the clunkiness. Was it mentioned to them?

Keep in mind that I was playing a different game every 10 minutes. Every game takes while to get used to. Still, I know that other people at Gamescom shared my feelings.

The articles have all said that the learning curve is steep at the beginning. You need a good hour to 'get' the controls and settle in. Your comment is consistent with this.

I can absolutely see that.

T.O.P

Banned
Excited about Yoshi, looks beutiful

Hearing the same stuff from people who played The Order, really don't know how it will end up being

Driveclub is the one i'm more catious about, putting a Ps+ version available is a great idea, i'm not feeling like buying the full game so far, but getting my hands on it might change that

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I didn't have much time on the floor but when I did run through it I played what was easily accessible.

Sonic Boom - Terrible. Poor image quality, bad frame-rate, ugly visuals, laggy controls, bad animation, boring level design, combat arenas with lots of enemies to fight before moving forward, etc. Worst Sonic related thing I've played since Sonic 2006. No joke. Also tried it on 3DS and was disappointed as well. Once again, it's ugly and unresponsive with controls and mechanics that feel nothing like Sonic.

Journey PS4 - It's Journey at 1080p60. Looks even more amazing now.

Project CARS PS4 - Looked pretty good, played well, but the frame-rate was quite iffy -- unlocked and full of tearing.

Driveclub - Played it five or six times for the camera. Each time I played it I enjoyed it more. It didn't look as amazing as I had hoped, though still beautiful, but the controls seemed excellent and the racing has a lot of potential to be very exciting. The sense of speed is incredible.

Little Big Planet 3 - Felt too much like previous games to me. Was really hoping for more dramatic changes to the core controls and physics. Doesn't even run at 60 fps as I was hoping.

Eolz

... it's a bit of a shock to me because whenever GAF gets into a console war in a thread, The Order is always brought up by SonyGAF as a massive upcoming game that will be an amazing exclusive. I just expected it to be... really good. I was looking forward to it based on the hype. That'll teach me I suppose :)
Don't believe sonygaf
or [insert favorite company]gaf

What can you say about Sunset Overdrive's speed OP? It's the thing that worries me the most for this game.

TimmiT

Some of mine:

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker

What I played was fun, the puzzles had plenty of variety and felt like they had more effort put into them than the ones in 3D World.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal

Seems like it could be a decent Metroidvania-esque platformer.

Sunset Overdrive

Doesn't really demo well. Also the framerate really didn't do the controls any favors, hope they improve it before release but considering that this is Insomniac I'm not getting my hopes up.

LittleBigPlanet 3

Got to play as two characters: Oddsock and Toggle. Both had different enough abilities to differentiate them and the level design made great use of them. Really looking forward to this one.

Driveclub

I was terrible at it when I played it, probably would be better if I played it more of it. Seems like it'll be a decent car racing game.

Splatoon

Just plain fun. Was a bit skeptical on the use of gyrocontrols, but they work well. Great concept.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Was just a hands-off live demo, most of which you all have seen. Not sure if this is out there as well, but there was a segment with Big Boss infiltrating another player's base, stealing his stuff and eventually getting caught by another player who was also Big Boss. Looked great.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Only got to play a small part of this one, but it seems like it'll be a mediocre PS2 platformer. Those are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, so I don't entirely mind that, but most will probably be bored by it.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD

Yup, it's Kingdom Hearts 2 in HD.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

Yup, it's more of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Not like that's a bad thing.

Bayonetta 2

Yup, it's more Bayonneta. Again, not like that's a bad thing.

The Club

Has potential, could be a really fun online open world racer. I thought it was fun.

GlamFM

Banned
Can you describe the look? I believe there are 3 tracks being demo'd at Gamescom. Scotland (fair degree of greenery, glum weather and a mass of sea to your right), India (lots of dense vegetation, humidity, mud) and another country with a snowy mountain like track.

All three feature in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L427Tt7Dk6Q&feature=youtu.be

I think the first track in that video is the one that didn´t look that awesome.

The one I liked more transitioned into night at some point.

That´s as much as I can remember.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker

What I played was fun, the puzzles had plenty of variety and felt like they had more effort put into them than the ones in 3D World.

Splatoon

Just plain fun. Was a bit skeptical on the use of gyrocontrols, but they work well. Great concept.

this is all good news (although expected). Thanks for posting, man

nib95

Banned

That'll teach you to what? Not form another opinion about a game you've never played that isn't out yet? If The Order 1886 turns out to be a bad game, I'll be legitimately shocked. I'm confident it'll at the very least be a good to solid game. RAD, whilst fairly new and inexperienced on the console front, have never made a bad game. To the contrary, they've only made excellent one's.

SnowHawk

I played Dead Island 2 and well it's Dead Island just in Hollywood. They haven't changed much but it was only 10 minutes of playtime so couldn't really grasp what has changed. The frame rate dropped often but I'm sure that's because it's in alpha stage.

Aaron D.

TSVUA8O.png

Any Farming Simulator 15 impressions?

I hear their booth is a hoot.

Salih

I was there yesterday.

Bloodborne

I only played and finished Dark Souls so far. While the fighting system in Bloodborne is definitely more dynamic (you have no shield, you can counter attack with your shotgun), it still feels very similiar to the first Dark Souls game. I am not so sure but i also managed to evade around enemies - seems like a new way to dodge enemy attacks? 10min is just too short. Graphically it looks fine - gamescom trailer gave a good idea about that. Sound was none, even with headset. Loading times were abysmal. It is still hard, so don't worry. Fans will love this.

Sunset Overdrive

most suprising game of the show. I was very interested in this game but i didn't think this could be so. much. fun. We played horde mode with 8 players in total. Traversing through the level is so fluid yet it really requires skill to make it look seamless. We were given a wide choice of different weapons to experiment with - all of them were very cool and fun to use. Graphically is looks very colorful and there is just mayhem but i didn't notice any serious framerate problems. As i said i was shocked how much fun i had with this game. I wasn't expecting this.

Bayonetta 2

As expected - my game of the show. I played through a part of Chapter IV (at the end you fight against the lumen sage) with dual sword both on hand and feet. In my opinion trailers don't do this game justice from a graphical standpoint. It is head and shoulders above Bayonetta 1. The fighting is so fluid and the new moves are choreographically even more ridiculous. Also, Umbran Climax is just insane.This is shaping up to be like Super Mario Galaxy 2 - won't deliver a better experience than the first one, yet from a gameplay standpoint it is just plain better.

Splatoon

This is a sleeper hit for sure. Splatoon is very hard to describe why it is so much fun. Probably because it is so different from any other online shooter game i have ever played. The controls are very simple; you can just pick it up and play. We played two 4vs4 matches. Splatoon has certain elements that innovate the genre of 3rd person shooters - for example being able to be a squid gives you the option to even play hide and seek with your enemies and outsmart them. The conventions are completely changed in this game. You have to think different here. You can't even shoot your paint in a straight line but rather in a curved way. You have to aim with the gamepad, the right stick is only for the camera. Also the map on the wiiu gamepad is very useful to find out which areas are painted, where your friends are, etc. I really enjoyed this game and can't wait to pick it up. For me it already is a multiplayer game i could play for ages.

I also played other games but nothing worth writing about.

Thanks for the impressions. Regarding the Order 1886, I am not to worried at this stage, they have a while to tweak the controls. There are so many mechanically sound TPS out there that they will have to have their head in the sand to mess this up.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
First of all I avoided the queue that where too long (except for Bayo 2), especially where there was no playable demo.

Driveclub

It was looking great, but not "blowing your mind" great. It felt like and upgraded NFS and that's not necessarily bad. Some of the environment was gorgeous, some average. Overall it will be a good game I think.

Forza Horizon 2

Looking quite great, maybe more than I expected. The driving was ok.

All the racing games I saw (including The Crew, excluding Project C.A.R.S.) have a real issue with the view from behind the car when driving it. It just fucking looks like a fat boat floating somewhere above the road and steering with the grace of an elephant.

NBA 2k15 (PS4)

Looks very good and I felt it plays better than the previous games. The AI was quite well aware of what's happening around them, which I found as an improvement. Of course I fully expect a lot of microtransactions and broken online, but maybe it will be just worthy this year.

FIFA 15 and PES 15

Same old, same old with a new paint coat. FIFA 15 is still practically FIFA 12 with 3d crowds. PES 15 felt good with the player control and passing, but it had some laughable shoots.

Civilization: Beyond Earth

This was not playable, but there a very nice sitting area there, so I rested my tired feet and watched a video explaining the game systems, populations etc. And it really look very good, I think they nailed all this combination of CIV with Starcraft kind of game (yeah, I know it's not exactly that, but that was the impression I got). I will get this day one.

Captain Toad

There were 5 levels, all different in structure and the mechanic used. I played the Dragon one, but waiting I saw all of them. I expect a full game with many different levels and a ton of great ideas in it. It just screams creativity. And it looks visibly better than SM3DW.

Hyrule Warriors

I didn't play it in the end because it was always quite a big queue there (surprisingly). I saw a lot of women/girls wanting to play this one. What I saw confirmed me that if you know what to expect from this game, it will deliver.

Yoshi Woolly World

Could have been my game of the show for me if it wouldn't have been for the next 2. Incredibly great looking game. They really nailed the "woolly" look. Cuteness overload. Very good use of the clew based gameplay and resulting in top platforming. Very good game.

Bayonetta 2

I actually played both Bayo 1 (with a Samus costume) and 2. And I felt like Bayo 2 is a full generation above Bayo 1. The animation, textures, light, colors, enemies, even the fluidity of the action (and not in the framerate, but rather in the transitions somehow, I can't explain better. Really perfect action game. And a joy to watch in those 5-10 seconds between fights. I played the level inspired by the Italian cities and the church inspired by the Belgian Royal Palace and it's absolutely gorgeous. My most expected game this year.

Splatoon

I got to play this in 2 session of 2 games each, because I caught a moment with a smaller queue in the afternoon. It was so good that I had to play one more session. It was the first game I played in the morning (and that was smart as later it was the longest queue at Nintendo booth after SSB 4), because it impressed me in the E3 stream and really wanted to feel it. And I felt it, alright. The game is pure joy combined with great tactics. The whole paint - squid dive - jump and repeat offers you so many opportunities. You can go very fast deep into enemy territory, you can hide and wait, you can paint your way up a wall towards the dominant position over an area and just splash your enemies from there. But at the same time you have to keep an eye on your map, as you never know when someone is painting all the field behind you an leave you with the most kills but a bitter defeat. I grasped the game's technique very fast and I was the best in my team and the best in the game when we won (the 2 games in the afternoon). This is chaotic strategic colorful fun. I would go to all the gaming expos around the world just to play this again, if I had time, until it is released.

S1kkZ

ok, my impressions:

horizon 2: looks like the first game in 1080p with weather effects. was a blast to play but i expected a bigger visual jump. still looks good, dont get me wrong.

until dawn: awful controls, horrible/annoying characters, every bad teen horror cliche and cheap jump scares. by far the worst game i saw/played.

driveclub: visually its one of the most impressive racing games ever. but the ai drivers are way to agressive and there was rubber banding.

mortal kombat x: i love beat em ups but i suck at playing them. game looks fucking amazing in persona and "next-gen". that scorpion fatality...

master chief collection/h2 multiplayer: its h2 mp with 60 frames and better visuals. so its pretty much the best mp game of all time ;)

the order: meh. fantastic visuals, bad framerate+ tearing and mediocre gunplay. also way too much cutscenes.

bloodborne: fantastic, everything you could hope for.

sunset overdrive: only got to play the coop. terrible framerate, the grinding didnt work well and it was just a chaotic mess. the biggest problem is by far the framerate.

metro redux: rock solid 60 frames on ps4, that all i needed to see. will buy.

alien isolation: its really good. a bit worried that the non.scripted alien will make things frustrating, but so far: a clear winner. ps4 version looks and runs amazing.

arkham knight: new gameply demo. looks great but also just more of the same. dont get me wrong, it looks great, but the batmobile stuff is just not enough to me. what i noticed: the facial/mouth animations look terrible and really last gen. and they showed a cutscene that give a good hint about the identity of the arkham knight.

quantum break: amazing visuals/style (it was running on a real x1, the remedy guys showed it to me when i asked) and it looks like a ton of fun. that bridge scene...

first light, infamous: looks fantastic, framerate seemed improved (closer to 60).

mocoworm

All the racing games I saw (including The Crew, excluding Project C.A.R.S.) have a real issue with the view from behind the car when driving it. It just fucking looks like a fat boat floating somewhere above the road and steering with the grace of an elephant.

I only ever use bonnet view so I am good :)

first light, infamous: looks fantastic, framerate seemed improved (closer to 60).

Never thought of that.

In Second Son whenever you are in a closed space and out of the open world the framerate sky rockets. First Light seems to be mostly based in that prison so it could have a real awesome framerate.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
bloody hell man, Splatoon really seems to have won people's hearts. Can't wait (hoping for online mode)!

Top Bottom