• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot rumor: Big third-party Xbox One exclusive at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chobel

Why would any third party give MS any big third party exclusive? Money.

It's not that easy when it comes to established game franchises.

Not big enough to cause trouble going on a single platform, like an Assassins Creed would (Ok, there was Liberation but you should understand what I'm saying), and not small enough to people say "eh, they are just throwing scraps".

OK, that would make sense.

it's timed? :/

If that's true, it means it's just a moneyhat, and if it does pan out, I'll likely be delaying my X1 purchase considerably, or maybe pick one up on the used side if I absolutely must (like say, if Fallout is exclusive or if they have a new Lost Odyssey)

Guys, come on. It's obviously going to be Fez 2.
Kappa.gif

You are joking but imagine Phil Fish coming onto the stage like "I'm back, bitches!" and announcing some new game. Not big enough for this announcement, I understand, but would be nice to MS (I don't know if he is still retired though, didn't follow the whole story).

I could see it being Rainbow Six.
That game is apparently going through dev hell and could probably use some additional funding/marketing.

You are joking but imagine Phil Fish coming onto the stage like "I'm back, bitches!" and announcing some new game. Not big enough for this announcement, I understand, but would be nice to MS (I don't know if he is still retired though, didn't follow the whole story).

And then he cancels it the next day.

And then he cancels it the next day.

I could say something about that, but I think this picture should illustrate my feelings better:

Reggie-Hands-Up.jpg

Seriously though, with MS backing him up I doubt he would get that crazy, they would keep him on check, I hope.

Edit:
What about GRAW too? I remember GRAW 1 on 360 was awesome!

Yeah, I remember that game, it could be a good one. I had the DVD for the PC, but I forgot where I put it.

iMax

I've never understood where the "controlled" thing came from. Mega-corporations like Microsoft don't like announcing things on message boards. They like carefully-crafted PR cycles and big loud announcements on E3 stages or their own blog. All evidence points to ntkrnl being one guy gone rogue.

Except when they're in the shit and they need to generate a positive news story urgently.

m360

Going all in. Homefront 2.

Unexpected, and considering it's Cry UK's re-imagining of the IP, a lot of people could be talking about it.

This is not going to be an Xbox exklusive. Heard it will be announced at Tuesday - an will be released only for Next-Gen-PC and Mac. Source told me it will be from an "unexpected publisher".

According to this it's in production at crytek uk and will be pretty different to the original. Maybe open-world-ish ...

http://www.games.ch/10223-der-game-insider-top/artikel/artikel-a145ul0347.php?p=6

Kelsey

Banned
Except when they're in the shit and they need to generate a positive news story urgently.

Once again, the huge hint that it wasn't a controlled leak was when the leaker all but said, "Don't buy an Xbox One until the limited edition white model with 1TB drive comes out in the fall/winter". In other words, not a controlled leak.

iMax

Once again, the huge hint that it wasn't a controlled leak was when the leaker all but said, "Don't buy an Xbox One until the limited edition white model with 1TB drive comes out in the fall/winter". In other words, not a controlled leak.

Yeah, that's not really proof of anything. Could've just been used to make it seem more believable.

I mean, we know the leak's basically legit, right? It's therefore irrelevant whether it's controlled or not as saying that there's a new Xbox down the line is going to have the same result no matter who said it.

jschreier

They'd want to do that by posting news on their blog, not teasing 2016 games on a message board. Is it really so hard to believe that someone had this information and decided to break NDAs and share it? Why must everything be a grand conspiracy?

jbug617

Banned
They'd want to do that by posting news on their blog, not teasing 2016 games on a message board. Is it really so hard to believe that someone had this information and decided to break NDAs and share it? Why must everything be a grand conspiracy?

If it's good news it's a controlled leak. Bad news it was a leak.

Best part of this thread so far has been people throwing up low-tier titles as possibilities for this exclusive. My favorite suggestion so far was Homefront 2. I know that's what some people hope for but come on.

Bsigg12

SephiZack

I really hate the concept of timed exclusive.They should either go full exclusive or multiplat.

Making a timed exclusive is shitting on the people who would have to play the game later

All we know is that MS must be paying out the nose to be forgoing the PS4 userbase.

If I was launching a new IP, I'd be really hesitant to neglect the PS userbase.

What if it is the new Brothers in Arms?

Gearbox is supposedly working on it, alongside the 4 player coop reboot that was based on BIA that became a new IP.

Tsundere

Banned

That, or possibly Microsoft's servers/network isn't as secure as everyone thinks they are and people were able to get information directly from their systems.

N.Domixis

Banned
Some one needs to make a list of all future games that have been confirmed or hinted as multiplat or impossible to go exclusive. Then we can narrow it down.

PS4 user base although getting larger isn't large enough yet to say no to a large pile of money.

That may be the case at the moment but publishers won't be looking at the user base right now, they'll be looking at what the user base will be like when they actually launch their game. The further away the release date is, the more PS4 users they're ignoring.

Hubble

I've never understood where the "controlled" thing came from. Mega-corporations like Microsoft don't like announcing things on message boards. They like carefully-crafted PR cycles and big loud announcements on E3 stages or their own blog. All evidence points to ntkrnl being one guy gone rogue.

It's just people who prefer Sony over Microsoft say this. The idea of a controlled leak is crazy talk and in line with conspiracy thinking.

Phil Fish fucking hates Microsoft. No chance. Sony, maybe. I think there's a good chance he is still working on Fez 2.

I could see it being Rainbow Six.
That game is apparently going through dev hell and could probably use some additional funding/marketing.
My god I would be so happy if Ubi made R6 an exclusive game. I would love to see what they could do if they only had 1 platform to worry about.

AniHawk

Is Gears of War a first-party game? Yes, Microsoft published it.
Is Gears of War a first-party game? No, Microsoft does not own the intellectual property (or did not at the time).
I don't see why either cannot be taken as accurate.

gears of war was a game that was owned by a third-party and published by a first-party. the term first-party refers to the console or system manufacturer. any other party to make a game for that platform becomes a third-party developer, as they are not owned by the first-party. when microsoft had rare make games for the gba and ds, that was microsoft making third party games on the ds. when they did the same, but for a nintendo ip, those games were first-party titles. when nintendo published professor layton outside of japan, professor layton was a third-party game developed by level-5. the game did not become a 'nintendo game' the same way luigi's mansion 2 is a 'nintendo game' because they actually don't own the rights to the franchise.

if you want to be more accurate, you can use the term 'first-party published games' to refer to games published by microsoft; you can use the term 'first-party game' to refer to any game created for a microsoft-owned ip and released on their own platform; you can also use 'third-party game' to refer to any game published for a microsoft platform that is not a microsoft ip. obviously there is an overlap between 'first-party published game' and 'third-party game' such as the case of gears of war. both are accurate. what is inaccurate is calling gears of war (the first four at least) 'first-party games', attributing to them properties that don't exist solely because of their publisher status.

if you want to drop 'publisher' from that first example, that's where there's a lot of confusion, and a very inaccurate representation of the situation.

and just so we're clear, the world is nuance. that's the point in having to explain these things in the first place. you're free to use colloquial terms for whatever reason you want, but if you actually want detail? you're going to need to accept that there's a lot more going on than a simple explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom