• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Best of E3 2010 Awards

AceBandage said:
Why?
Graphics include artstyle, and after years of overly brown and grey shooters, the industry is finally learning that a shiny game full of effects really isn't all that exciting to look at anymore.
Meanwhile, a completely new take on a classic genre and franchise that makes an entire world out of something so simple yet makes it look stunningly beautiful will continue to wow you for years.

At the end of the year game of the years, Im quite sure Killzone 3 or Gran Turismo 5 will win best graphics on these sites (heh even on Gamespot).

Gametrailers is boggling, mainly because, I would have gave Journey the best graphics or Child of Eden over Kirby, these games (including Epic Yarn) seem to have artstyles, and enough to put them into one category.

Maybe its best realistic graphics, and then a best artistic style.

lol, anyway, thats my 2 cents, lol, on the issue.

Penguin

Dedication Through Light said:
At the end of the year game of the years, Im quite sure Killzone 3 or Gran Turismo 3 will win best graphics on these sites (heh even on Gamespot).

Gametrailers is boggling, mainly because, I would have gave Journey the best graphics or Child of Eden over Kirby, these games (including Epic Yarn) seem to have artstyles, and enough to put them into one category.

Maybe its best realistic graphics, and then a best artistic style.

lol, anyway, thats my 2 cents, lol, on the issue.

I always like the use of the term "realism" in video games. I mean Crysis 2 has you fighting giant robots. And Rage has you fighting, what looks like deformed midget people.

I know people use it to be closest to reality, but eh.

I would give you Journey or even El Shaddi, but Child of Eden, didn't look like much to me.

And Killzone 3 isn't out this year is it?

Haeleos

If more developers took a chance with their art or gameplay direction, even as insignificantly as Kirby Epic Yarn did, this E3 wouldn't have been a total yawn for me. Well deserved award, and it also acts to highlight what's wrong with the industry.

Penguin said:
I always like the use of the term "realism" in video games. I mean Crysis 2 has you fighting giant robots. And Rage has you fighting, what looks like deformed midget people.

I know people use it to be closest to reality, but eh.

I would give you Journey or even El Shaddi, but Child of Eden, didn't look like much to me.

And Killzone 3 isn't out this year is it?

Ack right, lol. hm anything releasing in 2011, will have to go up against Uncharted 3, good luck, lol.

AniHawk

Dedication Through Light said:
Ack right, lol. hm anything releasing in 2011, will have to go up against Uncharted 3, good luck, lol.

yeah but uncharted 3 has to go up against beyond good & evil 2.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
Right...did you even watch the Rage videos?

Of the clips they showed, there was a bland desert and a gray hallway. Even Gears 3 looks more colorful.

But whatever. You can't convince me Rage is colorful unless they're hiding a Skyward Sword-looking level in there somewhere. That kind of nitty gritty realism doesn't really appeal to me and it tends to all blend together.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember when Ani said he was reserving his GOTY 2010 for B&G2 so it was unfortunate SMG2 wouldn't get it.

I look back on those days and laugh. Ha ha.

Andrex said:
Of the clips they showed, there was a bland desert and a gray hallway. Even Gears 3 looks more colorful.

But whatever. You can't convince me Rage is colorful unless they're hiding a Skyward Sword-looking level in there somewhere. That kind of nitty gritty realism doesn't really appeal to me and it tends to all blend together.
Rage is pretty colorful.

K' Dash

img_35.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:

Right if it doesnt look like a fucking picture book its not colorful enough. Why dont you take a look at videos where they go into town if really nice looking plateaus and deserts arent colorful enough for you.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
HK-47 said:
Right if it doesnt look like a fucking picture book its not colorful enough. Why dont you take a look at videos where they go into town if really nice looking plateaus and deserts arent colorful enough for you.
I agree that it is plenty colorful. It's in no way like Killzone with the "Gritty" shit look that a dozen of other titles will be releasing with this year. Where even when it has color. It still looks like it has a haze of shit over it.

But I can also see why someone would say it looks the same as the others. All the realistic FPS this gen have started to blend together. Even though they have their own styles and so forth. It's just the overabundance of them.

J-Rzez

Kirby eh? Great-great style, but not best graphics by a long shot. It's art style doesn't make up for the overwhelming technical prowess found in the other games. While their art style isn't up to the same level, it's not bad enough to put them below Kirby. It's almost like GT decided to try and unit their hardcore followers after arguing between PC, PS3, and 360, and set them after a common evil amongst them.

Lack of GT5 mention is odd though.

Of course Konami won that other award. I mean, Ubisoft and MS had just flat out horrible conferences, even Joel couldn't save Ubi, but Konami's conference was probably the most interesting conference of this E3. It was like watching a train wreck involving nuns, buckets of tar, and chickens, heading towards a cliff in slow motion, I had to keep watching it to see what can possibly happen next.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
J-Rzez said:
It's almost like GT decided to try and unit their hardcore followers after arguing between PC, PS3, and 360, and set them after a common evil amongst them.
ew.

How can anyone say that Kirby has the best graphics? It's not even high definition lol. On a related note, Starry Night Over the Rhone would have been a much better painting if Van Gogh didn't use such broad brush strokes. Why would hang a picture of that crap on their wall when there are so many other paintings out there that look more realistic?

ZOMG, a non HD game being lauded for its graphics? I'm going to knock over every magazine rack within a 10 mile radius. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Majora

J-Rzez said:
Kirby eh? Great-great style, but not best graphics by a long shot. It's art style doesn't make up for the overwhelming technical prowess found in the other games.

Jesus christ. Says fucking who? When I look at all 5 of the games nominated I see 4 games that look techincally adept but uninspiring and one which looks colourful, inventive, charming and well-crafted. And people are saying that I'm not allowed to say Kirby has better graphics because it isn't pushing as many effects and polys or something? Bullshit. The term graphics is not intrinsically a technical one, it encompasses many aspects and frankly I think all this dick-waving about pushing hardware is tedious and pointless if it doesn't result in a game that stands out or is eye-catching.

ReiGun

GrotesqueBeauty said:
ZOMG, a non HD game being lauded for its graphics? I'm going to knock over every magazine rack within a 10 mile radius. Drastic times call for drastic measures.
Only 10? Clearly you're no where near outraged enough at this....this....sin!

good for kirby winning best graphics.

:lol @ people butthurt over it.

As a pc gamer who doesn't need to count pixels to validate a games existence (since we can set the pixels ourselves
smug.gif
) kirby did look awesome, and I agree with GTs reason, take that dudebro's.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Coolio McAwesome said:
How can anyone say that Kirby has the best graphics? It's not even high definition lol. On a related note, Starry Night Over the Rhone would have been a much better painting if Van Gogh didn't use such broad brush strokes. Why would hang a picture of that crap on their wall when there are so many other paintings out there that look more realistic?

Artfully done.

Chinner

Banned
somebody post that picture of killzone, MOH and COD looking exactly the same and then kirby combo breaking that shit.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thank fucking god a game like kirby is getting so much attention. the attitude toward this sort of art style and even play type (on a console) is so much more welcoming than it was five or six years ago. the future is bright, kiddies.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
e3 2010 is the e3 that killed military shooters for me

b-b-boring

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
ZombieSupaStar said:
good for kirby winning best graphics.

:lol @ people butthurt over it.

As a pc gamer who doesn't need to count pixels to validate a games existence (since we can set the pixels ourselves
smug.gif
) kirby did look awesome, and I agree with GTs reason, take that dudebro's.

dude

dude

I've never thought of it like that. We're so fucking cool. PC, fuck yea

The M.O.B said:
And the Winners are.....
CUT
More to come

Is this really necessary? To advertise a website and give resonance to what a couple of kids working for it think of the E3 games? A whole topic for it, with no purpose of discussion and no arguments besides fan wars and fan camradrie, and some more cast-your-own-vote sadness?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Salacious Crumb said:
Looks great, is boring.

This reminds me of the 90's when everybody suddenly got shooter fatigue, except back then it was about side scrolling space shooters.

Top Bottom