• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

tok9

Well it's definitely a memory but it's in major contrast to the rest of the entries. Some really nice stories there!

RabbitNoir

Neo Member
Best ManUps episode of the Hinck-era, with time i became so engrossed with these guys i can listen to them talk about the most casual shit and still enjoy it like crazy.

Now i want an episode of something where they read it out loud.

Oh my god yes that would make for such a great nights episode.

When I wrote that post about how easy it was to get over Elyse, once Ian had that snappy new intro and the "new format" (it's not new, it's just Nights as a regular format), I thought about how cool it would be, if he had his own little band. But I couldn't think of a realistic way to implement it, so I abandoned that thought immediately.

How amazing is it that they actually found a way to have "musical guests" on it. I fucking love it and I wish they could somehow make it a regular addition.

RabbitNoir

Neo Member
Thank you Bloodworth for working so hard on the award for best soundtrack, the video came out great and I had a blast just listening to all the years best music. A really fantastic selection and the winner was well justified.

UrbanRats

Only flaw i'd say, using Cleric Beast tune twice was weird, could've used another one the second time (like Father Gascoigne).

Interesting choice, though i haven't play the game, so i can't say if i agree.
For me it's a toss up between Bloodborne and Witcher 3, and likely Witcher 3 would've gotten the crown, that game has just too many great pieces.

Auctopus

Played all the games on the list and I'd say it's a toss up between Wild Hunt and Syndicate. Despite Wutcher 3 having some magical tracks, Syndicate trumps it in variety overall.

The soundtrack of the year award made me realize that I should probably open up my gaming tastes a bit. I dumped hundreds of hours into Bloodborne and MGS5 this year, and I guess not much else aside from going back to Dark Souls and DS2 Scholar of the First Sin. The music you guys chose for AC's little preview was majestic as hell. I'm happy to be experiencing The Witcher now, but damn that AC music was legit. Definitely hope to see this category return in 2016!

Also, awesome job with all these videos. You've given us one hell of a year of content (even without E3) and I really can't wait to see what you have slated for 2016.

Only flaw i'd say, using Cleric Beast tune twice was weird, could've used another one the second time (like Father Gascoigne).

Interesting choice, though i haven't play the game, so i can't say if i agree.
For me it's a toss up between Bloodborne and Witcher 3, and likely Witcher 3 would've gotten the crown, that game has just too many great pieces.

Yeah, I felt a little weird about doing it that way, but trying to find the right 20-30 second snippets is tricky, and that ended up working better for me than a piece from a third song.

eFKac

Haha Huber almost the same amount of time for the picks as everyone else combined so far, love it :-D
Gonna watch it soon.

I had no idea that some of the tracks in AC Syndicate were actually original compositions. I feel good about it winning Best Soundtrack because the music was one of my favorite parts of that game. In particular I really liked the track 'Underground'.

No Yakuza in Hubers picks?

Anyone else hate the GT goty gaf thread? Putting the winner beside a link to the video is just grating.
Its hardly Star Wars spoilers, but Brandon at the team have clearly edited and produced the videos in a specific manner and stealing that payoff just rubs me the wrong way.

Auctopus

So, going with logic, if Bloodborne had the best expansion over Witcher 3's expansion then Bloodborne is most likely their GOTY.

tok9

That Resi 5 stream was pretty good.

Couldn't stop laughing at the final QTE failure. Just the reaction was hilarious from Huber.

It's in the last 40-50 mins of the video.

Hasney

Love Bens picks pf the year. Instead of picking the best, I like that he's giving props to some smaller games. I need Disgea 5 in my life.

wiibomb

OMG... Ben picked MH4U, I never thought someone on the GT staff would like to play MH4U, even less when they do no like handhelds (even though they are really awesome)

over all I've been loving all these spotlights the GT staff has done with different games from the usual big AAAs, and Ben's done a fantastic video

So, going with logic, if Bloodborne had the best expansion over Witcher 3's expansion then Bloodborne is most likely their GOTY.

best expansion wouldn't necessarily mean best game, the base game is apart, I mean, witcher 3 expansion is less and little than the old hunters, but the game itself seems bigger on witcher 3 (I'm sorry I haven't played it yet)

Auctopus

best expansion wouldn't necessarily mean best game, the base game is apart, I mean, witcher 3 expansion is less and little than the old hunters, but the game itself seems bigger on witcher 3 (I'm sorry I haven't played it yet)

Yet you just made an assumption about it?

Hearts of Stone is a huge expansion if not purely for dialogue and new characters alone. The map size increase is also very big.

wiibomb

Yet you just made an assumption about it?

Hearts of Stone is a huge expansion if not purely for dialogue and new characters alone. The map size increase is also very big.

I don't really want to argue about it because I still need to buy and play it, but it seems like... less than The Old Hunters, no? I mean, the old hunters added a ridiculous amount of content in bosses, lore, scenarios and even enemies.

I will make an assumption based on the 300+ hours I played, but The old hunters might very well have added 1/3rd of the base game in raw content.

may be because of the price tag I'm judging, I know that's not the right thing, I should play the game

Haunted

I know this totally isn't current or anything, but I just watched their Until Dawn Pijama party, and whoever came up with the idea of everyone taking control of a single character is a damn genius.

That was far and away the best Let's Play of that game I've seen so far, even better than Giantbomb's.

I know this totally isn't current or anything, but I just watched their Until Dawn Pijama party, and whoever came up with the idea of everyone taking control of a single character is a damn genius.

That was far and away the best Let's Play of that game I've seen so far, even better than Giantbomb's.

I think it was Elyse's idea.

Burt

Finally saw a Star Wars and got around to watching their discussion videos. Really good stuff, solid points all around.

Gametrailers needs to keep doing weird stuff in the new year. It's one of the main reasons why I watch.
That and their press conference reasons.
And GT Time.

Elyse came up with the original slumber party idea. I think I might have been the one that decided on the craziness of tying each person to a character.
Hey, Been meaning to ask you. I want to know the intro music for GT Time. Do you know what song that is?

Gametrailers needs to keep doing weird stuff in the new year. It's one of the main reasons why I watch.
That and their press conference reasons.
And GT Time.

Hey, Been meaning to ask you. I want to know the intro music for GT Time. Do you know what song that is?

no clue, that's an Ian or Kyle question

UrbanRats

Loved your personal picks video Blood.
I'm liking them all, really, a shame Ian's felt a bit rushed.

For next year, it'd be fun to include some negative thing in it, like worst game played in 2016, or disappointment of the year.
I know GT has usually a positive attitude, but it could be fun, and it wouldn't have to be overbearing.
Though it's easy to guess who'd be in most lists this year...

I really love the Mario Maker episodes of Don's Design Lab and hope we'll get more episodes next year. It must be really time consuming to produce them.

The haunted ship episode is probably one of my favorite GT videos of the year, mostly because of Kyle's trolling. "Put a second ghost there... for context", cut to Elyse screaming.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kxFK2Kz9OLQ

jbluzb

It is a great year discovering & subscribing to gametrailers. A positive vibes group with people who enjoy playing videogames.

It is a great year discovering & subscribing to gametrailers. A positive vibes group with people who enjoy playing videogames.
Yea. The E3 of dreams found me a new gaming site home since the death of 1up. Love the videos, and streams so much.

Thanks GT for an amazing year of content

Edit: and I got a platinum trophy in Bloodborne tonight! Woot

UrbanRats

GOTY was expected, but
best RPG being Bloodborne is really puzzling to me.
BB's RPG elements are really light (and poor, to be honest) even compared to Dark Souls.
Souls games don't have much in the way of character interpretation (dialogue choices or story shaping) but even when it comes to character builds, Bloodborne barely has any variety, compared to what past games on the series offered.

So that definitely left me wondering how they arrived at the conclusion that BB is a better rpg than W3.. i can see how it's a better game (even though i don't agree personally) because they're both great.

This makes me want to listen to their deliberation even more, next year, lol.

Szeth

I hope they run down who voted for what in their GOTY podcast (which I think is a thing?). I care way more about how they made their decisions than the actual winners.

Really hope next year we get their discussions a la giant bomb.

And yeah
BB winning RPG only makes sense if you agree with the notion that the goty can't lose in another category to a competitor, which is how they looked at it. I definitely disagree with that though as I think anyone can see how W3 is a better RPG than BB even if BB was their goty. Edit: Oh so they just didn't really take category specific elements into account and just picked what they thought was the better game. Fair enough, still disagree.

GOTY was expected, but
best RPG being Bloodborne is really puzzling to me.
BB's RPG elements are really light (and poor, to be honest) even compared to Dark Souls.
Souls games don't have much in the way of character interpretation (dialogue choices or story shaping) but even when it comes to character builds, Bloodborne barely has any variety, compared to what past games on the series offered.

So that definitely left me wondering how they arrived at the conclusion that BB is a better rpg than W3.. i can see how it's a better game (even though i don't agree personally) because they're both great.

This makes me want to listen to their deliberation even more, next year, lol.

We had a little bit of this discussion. The genre categories give us a broad means to classify games, but the winner isn't determined by the game that best fits into our box of a game being "more of an RPG" than another. It simply goes to the best game in that division.

Genres are messy and expanding, and I don't think it does anyone a service by awarding a game as "best" simply because it's more similar to other RPGs we've played in the past.

Bloodborne does have action / adventure elements that are stronger than many "pure" action / adventure games, but it's still officially classified as an Action RPG and we feel that the game's RPG core is absolutely strong enough for it to belong in that category.

If Bloodborne is an RPG, so is Black Ops 3 with all the charachter creation, choice, leveling and customizing this year.
Bloodborne is an action game, its combat is one of the 1st of two things everyone talks about (other being atmospheric design).
Being able to "level" up a character to 50000 with all those new game+'s doesn't make you an RPG.
I don't mind the GOTY winner, but Witcher 3 is a game that turned the genre upside down and reformatted what choice means and how NPCs interact with you and how quests play out..or even begin. You weren't a guest in this world, you live in it and have to accept how it changes and gets on with things when you're not there, they made Bethesda's behemoth look liken an antique in design and systems...then to be beaten for best RPG by a game that's not even an RPG? Crazy.
King.com putting world maps in their Candy Saga games don't make them Open World games and leveling up a number doesn't make your action game an RPG.

Loves the awards and the personal testimonies this year, but thats a big mark on them for me personally.

Top Bottom