• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Auctopus

I watch everything GT does and still think its a shit list...with a terrible title.
Metal Gear is the only one with a genuine reason for ending. The rest is nonsense. Games the staff don't like getting shit on from a far.

There's not been a new Soul Calibur game in 4 years but the series must die!!

The title is the only thing that's wrong with it. Some of them just require some sort of kick up the arse/reboot.

The staff like a lot of the series on the list.

UrbanRats

It's really weird seeing people that don't follow GT or know the staff react to their top 10s. Especially the ones that are so mad they call the whole site crap. Rustles my jimmies a bit, frankly.

The video is agreeable on my part, but they really made their bed, with that stupid title, since a lot of people don't even go past that.
Should've been "top ten titles that need some rest", or something of the sort, which is basically reflecting the content of the actual video.

Coxy

It's really weird seeing people that don't follow GT or know the staff react to their top 10s. Especially the ones that are so mad they call the whole site crap. Rustles my jimmies a bit, frankly.

I love GT but this kinda thing runs counter to all my reasons for liking them.

Pappasman

The video is agreeable on my part, but they really made their bed, with that stupid title, since a lot of people don't even go past that.
Should've been "top ten titles that need some rest", or something of the sort, which is basically reflecting the content of the actual video.

Ya but having a controversial title makes getting clicks way easier.

I love GT but this kinda thing runs counter to all my reasons for liking them.

I think I know what you mean. I love most of the GT content and pretty much the entire crew, but I never cared for the Top 10 videos. I don't even watch the reviews anymore. For me it's all about the original content. But I guess Top 10 & reviews bring the most clicks. Or like Elyse Andrea said at one point during a discussion about flagship franchises and smaller titles, "Halo pays for the party".

Speaking of reviews, who was responsible for the quips and puns in the earlier video reviews? I think they're gone now, right?

That was Andrea who said that.

I like the lists because like most lists, it generates some discussion.

Thank you, I corrected the post.

And I disagree about the lists. At least here on GAF, they rarely create a good base for a discussion and it mostly comes down to "yeah, that sounds right" or "what? My favorite franchise/game is(n't) on the list? Fuck these guys!". Most don't bother to watch the videos anyway and just read the list posted in the OP, so they're not even getting the context.

I think I know what you mean. I love most of the GT content and pretty much the entire crew, but I never cared for the Top 10 videos. I don't even watch the reviews anymore. For me it's all about the original content. But I guess Top 10 & reviews bring the most clicks. Or like Elyse Andrea said at one point during a discussion about flagship franchises and smaller titles, "Halo pays for the party".

Speaking of reviews, who was responsible for the quips and puns in the earlier video reviews? I think they're gone now, right?

Someone hasn't watched my Tembo review. But a lot of that came from Ryan and Justin.
Add: Reviews are original content to you know. ;) Sort of bummed that the reviews and editorial side doesn't get that much attention in this thread.

tok9

Keep them coming Blood. I love the other hows because I find them funny or interesting but I still always watch out for reviews, previews and just played.

Unfortunately for you though, you'll only hear more comments when people think negatively of a review. The fact that you don't hear as much is probably a good sign.

Auctopus

Someone hasn't watched my Tembo review. But a lot of that came from Ryan and Justin.
Add: Reviews are original content to you know. ;) Sort of bummed that the reviews and editorial side doesn't get that much attention in this thread.

I watch it all, Blood! I think maybe the reviews don't get much discussion 'cause there isn't much to discuss! Your reviews usually get discussed in said game's review threads.

Edit: Also, I think we'll see more discussions once the reviews/editorials come flooding in towards the Fall/Winter. Additionally, in case you hadn't seen my post, I think Matt Blair does an excellent job of 'interviewer' in the Just Playeds.

UrbanRats

Personally i'll watch a video review if it's about a game i care about, but just out of curiosity for the review itself, rather than the game.
It's not that i don't respect your opinion as reviewers, of course, but just that i haven't found them genuinely necessary in (most of) my decisions for years now.
I just know what games i will like and which one i won't care about, there are a couple of exceptions, but they're rare.

For example i don't need a review of MGSV to know i'll get it and play it for sure, and i don't need the Syndicate review, to know i'm done with Assassin's Creed for now, but i'll probably still watch the reviews to see what you guys (specifically) have to say about them; it's less about the review itself and more about the personality behind it, again.
Which is why i watch GTTime and other less comedy focused content on the site, because i want to see your take on things, but it's not like otherwise i wouldn't know what to think or do.
I don't need a review for Syndicate, but i want to know what Brandon (or whoever will review it) says about it, because i care about Brandon, not because i'm on the fence, if that makes sense.

I think this is true for most hardcore gamers out there, after 20+ years of playing, reading about and watching games, day in day out, you just sort of know your tastes too well, to need to read reviews for most of the stuff coming out, but if you still do it, it's probably because you enjoy the reviewers themselves.

Other editorials are a different beast though, since they can space out more in terms of topic.
-
As for lists, i think they're mostly useless (in general i mean, not just GT's top10), unless it's very clear they're coming from a personal place.
The problem with GT's is that they maintain the old format of the GT that was more faceless of back in the day, but instead are clearly the expression of very specific people with their tastes and quirks, that are otherwise on camera enough for people to recognize, which would be a positive element to capitalize on and make more clear, and could provide a more comedic and creative angle to put them together, too.

I know Brandon said you won't make the deliberations public for the GOTY award for example, but i think it's something that would benefit greatly the GT top 10, if not the deliberation itself, make the video so that it's clear that is coming from Daniel, Brandon, Michael, Ben etc etc, instead from "GT the company".
I think people would react much better, if you were to put a face to them, since you can more easily accept one person's taste, compared to a faceless buzzfeed-style list.
Again, nurture that "personality" side of things.

Doc_Drop

I know Brandon said you won't make the deliberations public for the GOTY award for example, but i think it's something that would benefit greatly the GT top 10, if not the deliberation itself, make the video so that it's clear that is coming from Daniel, Brandon, Michael, Ben etc etc, instead from "GT the company".
I think people would react much better, if you were to put a face to them, since you can more easily accept one person's taste, compared to a faceless buzzfeed-style list.

This would be hilarious and much more interesting. I think it's also what most posters in the other thread don't realise. Their Top10s aren't supposed to be objective, but purely subjective as far as I understand. Much like when Mandatory Update Nights spirals into debate and arguments, the Top10 discussion would also be entertaining

Auctopus

I'm pretty sure they did this last year. Two of the hosts would talk to each other about their favourite games of the year. Ian did one talking about the Talos Principle.

UrbanRats

I'm pretty sure they did this last year. Two of the hosts would talk to each other about their favourite games of the year. Ian did one talking about the Talos Principle.

Yes, that was a good way to do it.
Something similar (although i'm not sure how they could do it, i'm sure it'd be hard to start filming folks for yet another show, in logistical terms) would be nice for the top 10.
Get that human element out in the open.

Auctopus

Something similar (although i'm not sure how they could do it, i'm sure it'd be hard to start filming folks for yet another show, in logistical terms) would be nice for the top 10.

At the end of the day, a definitive Top 10's are more eye catching. Also, multiple Top 10s for each host is just too much editing and game capture each week.

Tsosie

Reviews are original content to you know. ;) Sort of bummed that the reviews and editorial side doesn't get that much attention in this thread.

Personally, GT is the only place I watch reviews, and I tend to watch any review that is put up. I do not put any real stock in reviews as a measure for me purchasing a game. I just watch them because I think of it as insight into how each of you look at games, and of course to hear Brandon's sultry voice.

I do really miss Justin's reviews. Of course it was a sad day when the staff got scaled back, but I was particularly sad to see Justin go.

First of all, please excuse my poor choice of words. Reviews are original content as well, of course. But your post got me long and hard thinking about why reviews don't matter to me. Seriously, I thought about it in the last two hours.

It was frustrating for me, because I couldn't really pin it down to a specific thing. Then UrbanRats here came along and explained it really, really well.

Personally i'll watch a video review if it's about a game i care about, but just out of curiosity for the review itself, rather than the game.
It's not that i don't respect your opinion as reviewers, of course, but just that i haven't found them genuinely necessary in (most of) my decisions for years now.
I just know what games i will like and which one i won't care about, there are a couple of exceptions, but they're rare.

For example i don't need a review of MGSV to know i'll get it and play it for sure, and i don't need the Syndicate review, to know i'm done with Assassin's Creed for now, but i'll probably still watch the reviews to see what you guys (specifically) have to say about them; it's less about the review itself and more about the personality behind it, again.
Which is why i watch GTTime and other less comedy focused content on the site, because i want to see your take on things, but it's not like otherwise i wouldn't know what to think or do.
I don't need a review for Syndicate, but i want to know what Brandon (or whoever will review it) says about it, because i care about Brandon, not because i'm on the fence, if that makes sense.

I think this is true for most hardcore gamers out there, after 20+ years of playing, reading about and watching games, day in day out, you just sort of know your tastes too well, to need to read reviews for most of the stuff coming out, but if you still do it, it's probably because you enjoy the reviewers themselves.

Other editorials are a different beast though, since they can space out more in terms of topic.
-
As for lists, i think they're mostly useless (in general i mean, not just GT's top10), unless it's very clear they're coming from a personal place.
The problem with GT's is that they maintain the old format of the GT that was more faceless of back in the day, but instead are clearly the expression of very specific people with their tastes and quirks, that are otherwise on camera enough for people to recognize, which would be a positive element to capitalize on and make more clear, and could provide a more comedic and creative angle to put them together, too.

Thank you very much for this post. You described perfectly how I feel about video game reviews in general and saved me a lot of time. To add to that, I find the whole fuss about reviews in general really weird. People distrust media outlets, their methods and connections to the publishers, but as long as a game in their favorite franchise gets a good score, it's all good and well. But I dare someone to give a game like Uncharted an 8/10. The meltdowns are insane and I really don't want to be any part of that. You have meltdowns and Schadenfreude, but there is little discussion to be had about reviews.

I think that's the key for me, personally. I much prefer the Just Played format over reviews, simply because you have two (or more) people talking to each other. I guess I'd care a lot more about the Top 10 videos, if they'd include the discussion and show how the list came together.

UrbanRats

At the end of the day, a definitive Top 10's are more eye catching. Also, multiple Top 10s for each host is just too much editing and game capture each week.

I wasn't thinking of multiple top 10s, but a video shot and edited differently, that made it more obvious that those picks came from a team of personalities, rather than a faceless "entity" named GT.
Not sure what it could mean in more practical terms (it's not like i thought about it very long) but the idea is that, even an opinionated or more controversial position, is registered a bit better if it comes from a person with their quirks.
Kyle, Ian, etc all had their very peculiar opinions throughout the years at GT, and you just accept those as part of their personalities, i think.

Sami+

I wasn't thinking of multiple top 10s, but a video shot and edited differently, that made it more obvious that those picks came from a team of personalities, rather than a faceless "entity" named GT.
Not sure what it could mean in more practical terms (it's not like i thought about it very long) but the idea is that, even an opinionated or more controversial position, is registered a bit better if it comes from a person with their quirks.
Kyle, Ian, etc all had their very peculiar opinions throughout the years at GT, and you just accept those as part of their personalities, i think.

I agree with this. I'm glad the review have little credits on them now too.

sora87

They definitely need to make the "What's up with" videos a little longer. Hope we get some First Fifteen sometime soon too.

Seems like a waste of time. E3 blew the load for surprises, while Sony arent attending gamescom and MS & Nintendo have already revealed what they're showing.

Loved the DQ XI talk. And that KQ video has me pumped. I've been excited for the game since it announced but now I'm wondering if I can sneak it above my backlog

BBboy20

Watching you guys' reviews recently have me feeling nostalgic.

FYI guys, after careful consideration, we're saying goodbye to our Xbox 360 app. It will be retired on Aug 4. Not sure how many of you used it, but of course you can see just about everything on your consoles via YouTube.
I did use it quite a bit for a brief time maybe some years ago. Well, oh well.

UrbanRats

I caught up on the Fiasco episodes.
All pretty great, but Suburbia and Southern wild are probably still my favorites.
the Highschool one had some stellar moments, too.

UrbanRats

Not the Canadian Deathbowl on Mercury? it's Canadian don'tchyaknow?!

It was fun of course, but i didn't like Ben's character as much as the one in the South for example, and felt a bit too messy.
Elyse and Kyle were absolutely brilliant in it though.

Top Bottom