• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameXplain: Is Zelda: BotW on Switch Smoother in Handheld Mode? Direct Comparison,

ultrazilla

I feel like rumors got people thinkin the dock had some hidden power in it, why would you expect better performance for an increased resolution? Makes no sense.

I'm not expecting a performance increase in dock mode. I realize it doesn't contain tech for "boosting performace". I just figured Nintendo would have a stable frame-rate locked in for both handheld and docked modes.

Ryoku

This is new to me, I didn't know the Switch can double its GPU clock speed in TV mode, that sounds like good speed bump big enough to iron out this framerate behavior with Zelda.

It's a 2.5x increase, so there should be more than enough power for 1080p at the same settings as undocked if the higher clock is utilized.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I think that place is one the worst(framerate) in game

Nah not talking about framerate, more so about actual graphical quality. It looks so much muddier than the other preview footage we've received today, almost like it's running way worse in comparison. I'm watching Arekkz's footage on how big Hyrule is and it looks way cleaner, but it may just be my eyes...

ultrazilla

It's a 2.5x increase, so there should be more than enough power for 1080p at the same settings as undocked if the higher clock is utilized.

So this *sounds* like it should be easily addressed via a patch from Nintendo. Let's hope they can do it.

f@luS

More than a member.
Switch is a handhelds system for me
Dont really want to play <1080p game on an oled 4K set.
I'm getting really spoiled by the PS4 pro. I'll do for multiplayer games maybe but I know that the switch will be a portable for me. And I'm glad with this. 3h battery is enough for everyday. And if I travel long time I'll have a portable charger

Ryoku

Nah not talking about framerate, more so about actual graphical quality. It looks so much muddier than the other preview footage we've received today, almost like it's running way worse in comparison. I'm watching Arekkz's footage on how big Hyrule is and it looks way cleaner, but it may just be my eyes...

Handheld mode footage was captured with a camera (off-screen).

Turrican3

Is it me or TV mode sports better graphics than portable mode? Lighting and grass feels more advanced, maybe it's this and extended resolution that is causing framerate dips?

Ryoku

So this *sounds* like it should be easily addressed via a patch from Nintendo. Let's hope they can do it.

Someone else mentioned it could be a bandwidth issue due to heavy alpha effects. Since a higher resolution does require more bandwidth, the dense grass could be going over available bandwidth to the GPU at higher resolutions. Though, I wouldn't expect such a big difference between 900p and 720p for this reason alone...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I feel like rumors got people thinkin the dock had some hidden power in it, why would you expect better performance for an increased resolution? Makes no sense.

What? What. What?

The dock doesn't have any power of its own, but the Switch does upclock when docked, by enough to theoretically go from 720p in handheld mode to 1080p in TV mode with the same performance. This is known.

ultrazilla

Someone else mentioned it could be a bandwidth issue due to heavy alpha effects. Since a higher resolution does require more bandwidth, the dense grass could be going over available bandwidth to the GPU at higher resolutions. Though, I wouldn't expect such a big difference between 900p and 720p for this reason alone...

Cool, thanks for the explanation Ryoku! :) I'm sure they will figure something out. We're gonna see some awesome things on the Switch in a few years when they start "coding to the metal". I really feel that way. :)

Ryoku

Strange. Poorly optimized area, or maybe the height of the plateau pushes draw distances to the max?

During the cutscene where the tower comes up out of the ground at the end of the demos, there were no framerate drops as far as I could tell, and the draw distance during the cutscene isn't smaller. If anything, you're seeing more from that height.

I don't think it's a draw distance issue.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cool, thanks for the explanation Ryoku! :) I'm sure they will figure something out. We're gonna see some awesome things on the Switch in a few years when they start "coding to the metal". I really feel that way. :)

We're not, really. Especially if memory bandwidth issues are already this apparent. Poor HW design, it seems.

Or rather, pretty good HW design for the 720p handheld this system actually is. It's when you try to turn it into a home console things go to shit.

robotrock

Banned
Switch is a handhelds system for me
Dont really want to play <1080p game on an oled 4K set.
I'm getting really spoiled by the PS4 pro. I'll do for multiplayer games maybe but I know that the switch will be a portable for me. And I'm glad with this. 3h battery is enough for everyday. And if I travel long time I'll have a portable charger

man...i would love to play this game on an OLED

Ryoku

We're not, really. Especially if memory bandwidth issues are already this apparent. Poor HW design, it seems.

Or rather, pretty good HW design for the 720p handheld this system actually is. It's when you try to turn it into a home console things go to shit.

You have to remember that this is a port of a Wii U game. Obviously, the Switch doesn't have the power of a higher-powered console or PC to literally brute-force the game. But making such a bold statement based on a port of a game from a vastly different hardware architecture seems a bit asinine and rash.

Keep in mind, there ARE a bunch more videos that have footage of the Great Plateau from these previews on a dozen other websites. The framerate is steady most of the time.

LordOfChaos

Oh wow, the visual downgrades in docked mode are much bigger than just a straight resolution drop. I had been under the impression that would be the main difference, but the lighting on the grass and everything looks pretty not great in handheld mode, even if the resolution would look fine on a smaller screen.

Oh wow, the visual downgrades in docked mode are much bigger than just a straight resolution drop. I had been under the impression that would be the main difference, but the lighting on the grass and everything looks pretty not great in handheld mode, even if the resolution would look fine on a smaller screen.

you mean handheld mode, and the footage was done off camera, they don't have the set up to capture handheld footage directly.

MDave

This post will probably be lost but it would be great if someone with a Switch and Zelda can test this out:

Change the TV out settings on the Switch to 720p and test performance in Zelda on the TV there. And then try it again at 480p for kicks. This also lets us know if the Switch does down sampling if the performance stays the same at 900p but gives us free AA at lower resolutions perhaps?

Mutant

Wait, but I heard that with Zelda: BotW the Switch doesn't downclock in handheld mode. Is this correct?

This post will probably be lost but it would be great if someone with a Switch and Zelda can test this out:

Change the TV out settings on the Switch to 720p and test performance in Zelda on the TV there. And then try it again at 480p for kicks. This also lets us know if the Switch does down sampling if the performance stays the same at 900p but gives us free AA at lower resolutions perhaps?

I did send a tweet to gamexplain earlier asking them to try that, never heard back though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It will be fine.

Yep. Hell the Wii U version could even end up more stable due to being the platform the engine was built for, only being 720p and not having the extra graphical bells and whistles of the Switch version.

It certainly isn't going to be a janky mess, Nintendo doesn't release those. I strongly doubt it will be much inferior to the Switch version (lower res and missing bells and whistles aside). If the Switch version was a major upgrade, why aren't they showing the Wii U version to entice people to upgrade to Switch?

Poor TV performance sells me on buying this game for Wii U. I have no desire to play this game primarily in handheld mode and the accompanying investment to make that happen.

So is this kinda the same as getting more fps by lowering the resolution in a PC game? Makes sense to me. Handheld runs at 720p, TV mode runs at 900p.

Alienous

One of the Gamespot dudes said he did that (reduce the TV out settings to 720p) and got no perceivable improvement.

Smellycat

Guys, I am sure this isn't as big of a deal as many are making it out to be. Otherwise, all of the previews wouldn't be as glowing as they are

jts

...hate me...
Starting from handheld mode as the baseline, TV mode should build up from there while at the very least maintaining performance. Even if it means not raising the resolution.

It's ridiculous that people are even asking for handheld mode on TV, but it's totally legit. Makes me think that there should be a straight up option for that, if game development is going to take this path. Home menu > "Play game in mirrored handheld mode" toggle. (this probably should be a real option in any case, even to simply allow handheld mode video capture).

Otherwise just give me 720p BoTW with extra/better effects, from the extra GPU clock and memory bandwidth.

Regardless, optimistic towards it being a soon to be fixed optimization issue or bug.

Top Bottom