• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming journalist refuses to cover Hogwarts Legacy due to its "ties" with J.K Rowling.

Topher

Gold Member
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Wasn't sure if I was going to buy this game. I am sure I am now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It's a shitshow.

If any of guys can find other people doing the same, please post it here.

His Twitter says he used to be a senior editor at Game Informer Magazine.

A gaming site (mag and website) that gives almost every game at least a 7/10.

And he's talking about boycotting promoting and talking about one Harry Potter related game? LOL. What an asshole.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Ultimately, anyone has the right to express their own opinion, but before distorting the aim of one's job (reporting gaming news) to attack a game because some royalties from it will go to a person who's saying stuff they believe is harmful, they should probably think very hard about where the money they themsleves earn comes from.

In any case, there's a space to do this kind of discussion, and it's called op-eds.

You may absolutely hate J.K. Rowling. You may think her stance is terrible, damaging, or simply stupid. That's fair. But we're not talking about J.K. Rowling here. We're talking about hundreds of game developers working their ass off on a video game about a world they love, which is also a world millions of people (including tons of trans and other LBGT folks) love, and I would be surprised if there weren't many LGBT folks among the developers as well.

By taking such a hostile stance, you're not hitting J.K. Rowling, she's loaded and will live the rest of her life in absolute comfort. The one you hurt the most are the developers of the game, and that's not fair.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The funny thing is JK would agree with them on 99% of the other issues. But these people are children, so.
Nah the funny thing is that JK tried to pander to them by retroactively making Dumbledore gay and then made both Grindlewald and Dumbledore gay lovers in the latest Fantastic Beasts movies. She's super progressive, and they still turned on her.

deeptech

One thing is supporting the mentally ill, like providing them with food, but another is to agree with such person on everything they say and think. And seems like if you don't agree with a trans person you're automatically "phobic" and should be cancelled. These people are worse than spoiled brats, way worse. Also isn't phobia like unreasonable fear? I doubt anyone's afraid, just disgusted and annoyed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess in his mind sexual allegations an lawsuits arent an issue. Here's Imran Khan plugging Activision's new unknown game two months ago straddling the line between talking about the game and going on about Activision needing to clean house.

Game That They’re For Some Reason Still Calling Unannounced​

The game takes place in a new world not tied to their other titles.​

IMRAN KHAN, JANUARY 25, 2022
Kind of out of nowhere, Blizzard Entertainment today tweeted an announcement of a new survival game set in a brand new Blizzard universe, which they are still inexplicably calling Unannounced Survival Game. It turns out that in addition to not following work place sexual harassment guidelines, Blizzard also doesn’t know how words work.

The accompanying blog post states that the game is coming to PC and consoles and that it is not tied to any game in their existing portfolio. It’s an entirely new world, so people openly speculating about a survival game set in Warcraft or Starcraft worlds are missing the mark. The very, very early announcement is to drive recruitment for Blizzard, which is seeking immediate roles in art, engineering, and design for the title. This could either indicate it’s a big title or that they have had very rapid turnover in the last few years due to ongoing hostile workplace charges and policy clashes over things like the Blitzchung debacle. Or both, if we’re being generous.

Blizzard is also looking to finalize their integration under Microsoft by summer 2023, so this game is likely to be something that is developed and released under their purview. While no doubt this existed before any public announcement was made, it’s reasonable to think Blizzard is anticipating what kind of games would succeed in this arrangement on, say, a Game Pass-style service and is thinking ahead.

But, as always, remember that Activision-Blizzard is a company that desperately needs to clean house before we start thinking about ways in which a clean house would benefit us.

BeardGawd

Banned
As the news editor of a gaming website, his "right" not to cover news about a major game is debatable, and even more so his "right" to replace said news with something unrelated. I guess his employer (Tencent) is very tolerant.
It's social terrorism basically. Any opinion that doesn't align with their narrative is vilified. If you associate with anyone who's opinion they don't like they vilify you. The whole thing is so absurd.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yo do any of these dudes even know why there supposed to hate JK Rowling? Other than twitter said so I mean.

It's why they never quote her. What she has said on record has been totally reasonable, non-controversial. But ask any of these people what they take offense at and they just vaguely say "transphobic". It's a shame, she's a nice person who gives a ton to charity and even goes out of her way to meet fans.

Ah well. The enthusiast press is all about DOOM articles and virtue signaling these days rather than actually covering the games.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
JK stands up for women's rights, simply begging questions about a new paradigm around the boundaries of them, and any random twitter nutjob with toilet paper tier journalism credentials can decide to demonize and boycott them from a place of moral authority, afforded by a website platform, supported and driven by manipulative marketing and social media engagement.

I am going to choose to believe that this stupid asshole supports book burnings, or maybe widespread subsidized mental therapy discounts for Harry Potter readers with proof of purchase. It's absurd enough to be plausible in this clown universe.

Trans people already have enough bullshit to deal with in their lives than to have to put up with the virtue signalling 'Woke' allies, stirring up the bubbling cauldron of shit that is Twitter, to incite fanbases to polarize themselves one way or another.

Doomtrain

Do legacy gaming websites even drive sales anymore? I doubt this dude (or Kotaku, etc.) not covering the game is going to do much to hurt it.

bender

What time is it?
I'll never begrudge someone for boycotting a company or product if it goes against their belief system. Lord knows I have companies that I choose not to do business with. What is annoying and smacks of angst you'd find in someone in their early 20s is broadcasting those boycotts or looking down on others for not participating. If you look into any company of size, they probably have some combination of shitty business, ethics or religious practices.

Top Bottom