• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming journalist refuses to cover Hogwarts Legacy due to its "ties" with J.K Rowling.

Yoboman

So he works for Tencent, a monopolising arm of an authoritarian government

And Reeee virtue signallers spent 5 years working for peanuts and decrying capitalism for their owner to cash out for 5 mil and sell them into a network of right wing forums. Which they dutifully pretend didnt happen

And these hypocrites want to cry about a kids book series being made into a game

Couldn't make it up if you tried

Fanbyte is a joke.

When they interviewed the producer/director of FFXIV (Yoshi-P) for the newest expansion, they decided to ask why they "whitewashed" a catgirl. Yoshi-P's response? "She had a tan and now she doesn't". But no, that wasn't enough for them. They then doubled down and implied that Yoshi-P doesn't understand and feel racism like Westerners do. But Yoshi-P didn't fall for the trick, and had to point out that he, too, is a "person of color" and knows what racism actually is.

Like I said, the site is a joke.

zeorhymer

For a guy who gets paid to write games for a company and tells the company's customers to go somewhere else....he's a piece of work. Also, don't ignore moronic actions like that. Point it out and call out their actions. Cancer like him won't go away by not talking about it, but make things worse for other things.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What did he say?

This crybaby has me blocked :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Screen-Shot-2022-03-17-at-8-29-08-PM.png

Editaur

I don't think there is much to add over this same old song with game journalists, but I just think it's a shame that they find so much ease in regulating the opinion for an entire community of people.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
JK Rowling is a stupid bigot cunt. That said, this is a licensed game created by people who have nothing to do with her that stated working on it before any of her stupid behavior. Canceling them is vindictive and shitty. Why doesn't the publisher pledge to donate a percentage of the profits to trans rights orgs. Then this shithead can be depriving trans rights orgs of funds with his misguided ill-virtue signaling.

It's sad that J.K Rowling is being demonised. She's a champion of women's rights, a face for true feminism.

It's perverse to me that a mob of twitter psychos can basically end your public presence based solely on a belief that women should be able to feel secure in spaces designed for women.

Sadder still, these gaming journalists further enable and spread hatred toward her good name by posting nonsense like this tweet from Imran.

In a weird way, this whole thing is kind of misogynistic and seeks to silence women who speak out about not feeling comfortable around trans-women in their spaces. Perhaps the issue is maybe a bit more deep than simple black or white, good or bad. I also don't think forcing coercion out of folks by cancelling, branding "phobic" or otherwise seeking to destroy people's livelihoods is a good way to get people on board with your message of equality.

I just know deep down that Western publications will mark this game down (whether good or bad) based on their perceptions about its creator and that's completely unprofessional in my eyes. She has nothing to do with the game beyond having created the licence and I think the game should be judged on its own merits. I personally think it looks ambitious as hell and can't wait to play it. I don't think that means I am enabling transphobia or spreading hate.

If this thing sells gangbusters, the gaming media will have a field day with all their "We need to speak about J.K's transphobia" articles and further poisoning the well rather than try and view something from the perspective of a woman in 2022.

Seriously these sensitive people with their backlash on everything are causing more harm than they realize. The people making the game probably has no ties to JK Rowling they are just making the game cause it their job & JK is entitled to her opinion who cares why do they have to try and cancel everyone with a different view.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
JK Rowling is a stupid bigot cunt. That said, this is a licensed game created by people who have nothing to do with her that stated working on it before any of her stupid behavior. Canceling them is vindictive and shitty. Why doesn't the publisher pledge to donate a percentage of the profits to trans rights orgs. Then this shithead can be depriving trans rights orgs of funds with his misguided ill-virtue signaling.

She’s really not but please tell us how you really feel.

There is a weird undertone of using the game to faux advocate for trans right (men wanting to be woman) as a 'gaming journalist' and bate an eye of sexual abuse of ACTUAL women within the industry.

I will call it what it has become: Tran right is an extension to misogyny where the rights of a man to be a female is more important than real female and her issue.

bitbydeath

No she isn’t, she simply has different beliefs, which you should respect.

If you choose not to cover any game that's associated in some form by some asshole saying terrible things, there wouldn't be many games left to review. Yet I can at least understand not wanting to promote ideals you find not just negative but actively hurtful to communities.

At the end of the day your job is to review games, so review the game as is. If you find something concerning inside that, address that in the review. Otherwise social media is your platform to talk about whatever else you want.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's sad that J.K Rowling is being demonised. She's a champion of women's rights, a face for true feminism.

It's perverse to me that a mob of twitter psychos can basically end your public presence based solely on a belief that women should be able to feel secure in spaces designed for women.

Sadder still, these gaming journalists further enable and spread hatred toward her good name by posting nonsense like this tweet from Imran.

In a weird way, this whole thing is kind of misogynistic and seeks to silence women who speak out about not feeling comfortable around trans-women in their spaces. Perhaps the issue is maybe a bit more deep than simple black or white, good or bad. I also don't think forcing coercion out of folks by cancelling, branding "phobic" or otherwise seeking to destroy people's livelihoods is a good way to get people on board with your message of equality.

I just know deep down that Western publications will mark this game down (whether good or bad) based on their perceptions about its creator and that's completely unprofessional in my eyes. She has nothing to do with the game beyond having created the licence and I think the game should be judged on its own merits. I personally think it looks ambitious as hell and can't wait to play it. I don't think that means I am enabling transphobia or spreading hate.

If this thing sells gangbusters, the gaming media will have a field day with all their "We need to speak about J.K's transphobia" articles and further poisoning the well rather than try and view something from the perspective of a woman in 2022.

Funniest thing is you can have a conversation about JK Rowling or Harry Potter in real life and effectively receive zero knock back. It's only in the twittersphere and by extention the gaming space that this all takes place.

Most People would find JK comments about what women go though to be perfectly reasonable, her issue essentially hits the nail on head for alot of women so in real life unsurprisingly you can continue to have a conversation about her, you can buy her books and movies with no issue.

This will be a smash success, I can feel it and despite the inevitable attempted controversy, nothing will dent that.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Funniest thing is you can have a conversation about JK Rowling or Harry Potter in real life and effectively receive zero knock back. It's only in the twittersphere and by extention the gaming space that this all takes place.

Most People would find JK comments about what women go though to be perfectly reasonable, her issue essentially hits the nail on head for alot of women so in real life unsurprisingly you can continue to have a conversation about her, you can buy her books and movies with no issue.

This will be a smash success, I can feel it and despite the inevitable attempted controversy, nothing will dent that.
I’m surprised a lot of women aren’t fighting back in support of JK. Makes you wonder if the vocal ones were men (white knights) pretending to be women all along that have now switched sides.

I'll preface this as someone who doesn't own a PS5 so I won't personally be buying it, but I don't think this game needs any help from gaming journalists

I really can't think of an IP as powerful as Harry Potter. People are batshit crazy about it. And honestly, I think for good reason. Hell I'm in my late 30s and still enjoy the films.

Last edited:

EDMIX

As funny as ridiculous as this sounds some of the comments sound just as funny because the people even laughing at this journalists are some of the very same people that make very similar if not more ridiculous comments regarding pixels on video game characters. So before any of you sit back and start questioning this journalist and LoLzing at how dumb he is, I would make sure you're not playing a video game based on someone's chin size or their hair color or making conspiracies about the gender of a character and if it's a secret agenda to take over the world ala Pinky And The Brain.

All of that shit sounds stupid as fuck and this person falls right along those lines of stupidity...

If you take a job to be a journalist you need to maintain that integrity and regards to running a story the person's views of opinions political beliefs religious beliefs or anything like that have no fucking relevance to covering a news story.

I may not care about JK's views on this subject as I disagree with them greatly, that has nothing to do with her being an amazing writer, but I have a feeling many of you don't even care about that btw, I think some of you are only reaching to this whole integrity argument because you simply agree with her views, NOT because you care about any real integrity, some of the same people on this very board crying over games based on chin size, who a developer voted for or prays to or what they believe in or the arm size of a girl in a game, yet shit....are pretending they have nothing in common with this dumbass "journalist"?

I'm not too sure about that folks. Some of you know quite a bit about avoiding something or judging it based on the views of the writer, developer, creator of something etc. Why fucking pretend this is bad now cause its on the other side? This shit is dumb regardless.

EDMIX

I'll preface this as someone who doesn't own a PS5 so I won't personally be buying it, but I don't think this game needs any help from gaming journalists

I really can't think of an IP as powerful as Harry Potter. People are batshit crazy about it. And honestly, I think for good reason. Hell I'm in my late 30s and still enjoy the films.

I don't disagree with you with how powerful the property is simply that in the past we haven't really seen it translate into gaming well despite its demographic being pretty young

It's sort of like Transformers and Fast and Furious these are massive Blockbuster properties that do record numbers in the box office but when it comes to games they barely make a dent in the market

So I believe it definitely takes a special developer and publisher to put out a solid product to get that audience to care in that property alone cannot really dictate the success as we've seen multiple times even with this very property. We saw many bad Spider-Man games and many bad Batman games at the moment it went into Insomniac and rocksteady's hands respectively they hit it right out of the park and those properties were able to truly shine. So whether or not this game goes well will likely have more to do with if that development team is able to make a solid product and not necessarily the property alone because one would have to question why the other Harry Potter games failed because I would argue the property now is nowhere near the height aware it was at Generations prior

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As funny as ridiculous as this sounds some of the comments sound just as funny because the people even laughing at this journalists are some of the very same people that make very similar if not more ridiculous comments regarding pixels on video game characters. So before any of you sit back and start questioning this journalist and LoLzing at how dumb he is, I would make sure you're not playing a video game based on someone's chin size or their hair color or making conspiracies about the gender of a character and if it's a secret agenda to take over the world ala Pinky And The Brain.

All of that shit sounds stupid as fuck and this person falls right along those lines of stupidity...

If you take a job to be a journalist you need to maintain that integrity and regards to running a story the person's views of opinions political beliefs religious beliefs or anything like that have no fucking relevance to covering a news story.

I may not care about JK's views on this subject as I disagree with them greatly, that has nothing to do with her being an amazing writer, but I have a feeling many of you don't even care about that btw, I think some of you are only reaching to this whole integrity argument because you simply agree with her views, NOT because you care about any real integrity, some of the same people on this very board crying over games based on chin size, who a developer voted for or prays to or what they believe in or the arm size of a girl in a game, yet shit....are pretending they have nothing in common with this dumbass "journalist"?

I'm not too sure about that folks. Some of you know quite a bit about avoiding something or judging it based on the views of the writer, developer, creator of something etc. Why fucking pretend this is bad now cause its on the other side? This shit is dumb regardless.

Well, personally I think she's a pretty shitty writer but I find her views on the subject of preserving female-only spaces perfectly reasonable and logically consistent.

It sure as hell isn't transphobic, and anyone who asserts that to be the case is in my estimation simply parroting a political line without any thought or serious consideration of the pro's and con's surrounding the issue.

Its typical of the utter absence of consistency in the dogma that the same people lobbying for trigger-warnings and safe-spaces have complete disregard for exposing girls to male genitalia in formerly private and/or protected spaces.

As to boycotting a game based on a Rowling property... Its inane. And anyone who does so deserves ridicule.

I don't disagree with you with how powerful the property is simply that in the past we haven't really seen it translate into gaming well despite its demographic being pretty young

It's sort of like Transformers and Fast and Furious these are massive Blockbuster properties that do record numbers in the box office but when it comes to games they barely make a dent in the market

So I believe it definitely takes a special developer and publisher to put out a solid product to get that audience to care in that property alone cannot really dictate the success as we've seen multiple times even with this very property. We saw many bad Spider-Man games and many bad Batman games at the moment it went into Insomniac and rocksteady's hands respectively they hit it right out of the park and those properties were able to truly shine. So whether or not this game goes well will likely have more to do with if that development team is able to make a solid product and not necessarily the property alone because one would have to question why the other Harry Potter games failed because I would argue the property now is nowhere near the height aware it was at Generations prior
That’s fair

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

It's a shitshow.

If any of guys can find other journalists doing the same, please post it here.

What a complete horse's ass this guy is. Idiots like this do so much damage to transgender people just trying to live their lives without being harassed for who they are.

People like him remind me of PETA. I'm the world's biggest animal lover but when I read about the stupid shit PETA says and does it makes so angry, I want to go kick my cat. These dumbshit activists piss everyone off and end up getting people mad at the trans community.

EDMIX

Well, personally I think she's a pretty shitty writer but I find her views on the subject of preserving female-only spaces perfectly reasonable and logically consistent.

It sure as hell isn't transphobic, and anyone who asserts that to be the case is in my estimation simply parroting a political line without any thought or serious consideration of the pro's and con's surrounding the issue.

Its typical of the utter absence of consistency in the dogma that the same people lobbying for trigger-warnings and safe-spaces have complete disregard for exposing girls to male genitalia in formerly private and/or protected spaces.

As to boycotting a game based on a Rowling property... Its inane. And anyone who does so deserves ridicule.

Though I don't agree with her views, I respect how you see this Clear. I believe a creator can have a view and a Journalist should be able to do their jobs regardless of what they persons views actually are.

To boycott a game or not do your job based on someone elses views is just silly.

I can't find 1 game studio where 100% of the staff agree with views that I have, using this logic I couldn't really play any games at all lol

So they are only going to write stories about views they agree with and only be on platforms of companies whos views they agree with? That shit sounds tiring

The Alien

Banned
OP....please fix the title we all now that there is no such thing these days as a "video game journalist". They are either corporate mouthpieces or activists.

Looking at Imran's Twitter page which claims his account (direct quote) is "like 50% video games, 50% activism" you'll have your answer as to which he is.

radewagon

Guy has an opinion about JK, and Neogaf tears him to pieces because JK should have the right to have her controversial opinions regardless of how they might rub certain people the wrong way. Why is that same right to one's controversial opinion not extended to the games journalist as well? So confused. Are people allowed to have their own opinions about stuff we don't personally agree with or aren't they?

Guy has an opinion about JK, and Neogaf tears him to pieces because JK should have the right to have her controversial opinions regardless of how they might rub certain people the wrong way. Why is that same right to one's controversial opinion not extended to the games journalist as well? So confused. Are people allowed to have their own opinions about stuff we don't personally agree with or aren't they?
Because he should be a professional and not let personal politics get in the way of him doing his job. That, and the fact he looks like a massive hypocrite working for a company funded by China.

Swift_Star

Banned
Doesn’t matter. The game is looking hot, it’s going to sell millions either way and I feel this franchise has distanced itself enough from Rowling. She’s still a stupid cunt.

Top Bottom