• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming journalist refuses to cover Hogwarts Legacy due to its "ties" with J.K Rowling.

Kacho

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF
Creator of Devil May Cry

Komatsu

As funny as ridiculous as this sounds some of the comments sound just as funny because the people even laughing at this journalists are some of the very same people that make very similar if not more ridiculous comments regarding pixels on video game characters. So before any of you sit back and start questioning this journalist and LoLzing at how dumb he is, I would make sure you're not playing a video game based on someone's chin size or their hair color or making conspiracies about the gender of a character and if it's a secret agenda to take over the world ala Pinky And The Brain.

Good post. People here are often so obsessed about "wokeness" that they become its mirror image, jumping at shadows, problematizing everything, etc. I personally am not a fan of the direction most Western character designers have taken with their characters in the last few years or so - which is fine! I play mostly Japanese games anyway.

It’s amazing how much of a social pariah J.K Rowling has become, especially when the people who despise her the most now are the ones who still equate real life people to Harry Potter characters like Voldemort.

Gloomnivore

Won’t cover it but happy to use its name for clicks anyway because everyone needs some of that delicious attention.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

MF works for Tencent.

The number of unsubscribes I did today for the people (from Kinda Funny to GameSpot people, and on and on) was extraordinary.

Rowling's position is that trans progress should not result in the erasure of the experience of biological women - especially discrimination throughout history - based on reproductive organs.

It's the view of 99% of everyone not in a cultural bubble.

A remarkable amount of this media subgroup lives in San Francisco and has no idea that no one agrees with them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Fuck it.

Make me a journalist and I'll cover it. Piss everyone off.

How to become a "journalist"

1. Create a website on WordPress with professional looking name and theme
2. Write shit on website

Congratulations Congrats GIF

You are a "journalist"!

having said all that, there are real gaming journalists out there. Our own Abriael_GN Abriael_GN is among them. So many, however, take shortcuts and don't actually learn the craft.

Last edited:
A truly courageous stance from someone with a livelihood that comes directly from the suffering of hundreds of thousands of Uighur Muslims in China.

I'm by no means a a sjw but most of u people should actually read what Rowling said and put it in the right context as rational and grown up folks do. It's actually not that clear-cut. I don't know if americans can do that but I have hope. She is generalizing based on individual experience. U don't do that.

Filben

It's pretty interesting to see someone literally working for Tencent trying so hard to sit on a moral high horse. For those who missed the memo, Tencent owns Fanbyte.

Wonder if he's so active condemning his employer's games considering their ties with a government that's committing literal genocide. 🤔

Incidentally, I'm no Potterhead. I've literally never watched a Harry Potter movie or read a book, but boy, today's presentation sold me on the game.
And then you'll have people dismiss this as "whataboutism". I don't know when this term arose but like 15 years ago we called that double standards.

The thing is that THEY (the virtue signaling people) get to choose what bad things you'll support by buying or speaking over certain products. If you by CDPR games you support anti trans people and nasty working conditions, if you buy a Harry Potter product, you support Rowling, also a bad person! The list goes on... the list they probably wrote on iPads or other stuff manufactured under horrible conditions compared to many Western standards. Bit because we can't do anything about that except for giving pretty much everything up of our modern life they point out to more "convenient" issues.

Issues nonetheless, not denying that. But they want to lead this conversation, this almost crusade, so very much its getting ridiculous. Like how is this dude actively gonna help the trans community by not covering the game?

Like, """supporting""" someone with a few dollars they get from me indirectly is not gonna change anything. Not buying products won't change those people's personal views. It's not like a company that would do anything for money; some people rather go broke before they change their opinion about something when your only answer to them is "you're full of shit and I won't be buying your products".

Not giving them a platform like on your podcast where they can spread shit would be a good idea. Supporting educational work about trans people would be a good idea. And sometimes you have to accept the fact that some people are truly lost and will never gonna be changed.

But you won't change people's mind by shun them or talking down to them or tell them what to think; I've seen this countless times as educational worker in my field. You'll always get a defensive response. You have to educate people without ridicule their views or otherwise you'll bite on granite; you have to make them come by themselves to the conclusion, not laying it out for them.

You'll have to chose whether you really want to change people or just want to make yourself feel better, the latter also being understandable but then you'll have to deal with the fact you're virtue signaling.

ikbalCO

i hope they continue with the same atittude when it comes to reviewing the game and just not give it a low score.

because these people man, they are snakes and they would do anything to carry ther narrative forward.

in easy allies case, i %100 sure huber and jones are hyped to the max, but i cant prove it.

People like this are losers and ruining gaming.

I don’t buy games at launch since most launch broken, but I may make an exception for this as we need more stuff that exposes and pushes activists out of the industry.
Ruining society. Assholes screaming ‘Look at meeeeee, I’m fighting straw men aren’t I a real toughy’.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People like this are losers and ruining gaming.

I don’t buy games at launch since most launch broken, but I may make an exception for this as we need more stuff that exposes and pushes activists out of the industry.
I was going to get it at launch, but I will make a note to double dip it and suggesting it to friends too.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nah the funny thing is that JK tried to pander to them by retroactively making Dumbledore gay and then made both Grindlewald and Dumbledore gay lovers in the latest Fantastic Beasts movies. She's super progressive, and they still turned on her.
I genuinely think it’s a sick self-challenge to these people - ‘who’s the highest person we can take down for no reason at all’ - it’s just a sick power games for mentally ill people with no power in their actual lives.

Kinda sad the people who used to use Harry Potter as a way to understand real life events on Twitter now turn against it.

Obamadore VS Trumpamort.

Last edited:
Even worse, rhe developers have gone overboard to be overtly trans friendly etc. And they get repaid by having their game blackballed. That will really persuade other developers and publishers to make an effort....
What’s wrong with being friendly to trans people?
One thing is supporting the mentally ill, like providing them with food, but another is to agree with such person on everything they say and think. And seems like if you don't agree with a trans person you're automatically "phobic" and should be cancelled. These people are worse than spoiled brats, way worse. Also isn't phobia like unreasonable fear? I doubt anyone's afraid, just disgusted and annoyed.
Aversion is also an element of fear. Which the pro freedom of speech people seem to be not doing.
It’s time to flip the narrative from this nonsense. Common sense isn’t transphobic. You can acknowledge biology and allow people to lead their best lives at the same time. Two things can coexist simultaneously.
Not in gaming circles unfortunately.
Notice: He doesn't mention what JK Rowling said. This is strategic. His grift thrives on people not knowing that JK Rowling says she loves trans people and wants them safe. It's a cult that requires ignorance from the sheep.
That’s ironic. Especially when you consider most peoples stance on said topic.
There is a weird undertone of using the game to faux advocate for trans right (men wanting to be woman) as a 'gaming journalist' and bate an eye of sexual abuse of ACTUAL women within the industry.

I will call it what it has become: Tran right is an extension to misogyny where the rights of a man to be a female is more important than real female and her issue.
How are trans right an extension to misogyny??
If you choose not to cover any game that's associated in some form by some asshole saying terrible things, there wouldn't be many games left to review. Yet I can at least understand not wanting to promote ideals you find not just negative but actively hurtful to communities.

At the end of the day your job is to review games, so review the game as is. If you find something concerning inside that, address that in the review. Otherwise social media is your platform to talk about whatever else you want.
Right.
Oh man, if people find out that the most recognized and famous art/ artists were, pedos, beating women and murders nobody would be going to museums…
It’s one thing to acknowledge that history is littered with bad hombres. It’s another to try to justify or, god forbid- praise these people for the shit they’ve done.
Wikipedia definition of journalism: "Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on the interaction of events, facts, ideas, and people that are the 'news of the day' and that informs society to at least some degree."

Based on the Tweet in the OP... it is then clear as day that the activist who some people call a journalist is, in fact, NOT a journalist.
Because of a tweet that you don’t like? That makes him not a journalist?
Guys an insuferable twat if someone defecate on his faces that would be an improvement cos that butt ugly faces is only faces a mother can love good riddance for another anoying ashat gone out of existence
What in the actual fuck did I just read?
Good post. People here are often so obsessed about "wokeness" that they become its mirror image, jumping at shadows, problematizing everything, etc. I personally am not a fan of the direction most Western character designers have taken with their characters in the last few years or so - which is fine! I play mostly Japanese games anyway.
Yep. I’ve never seen so much hypocrisy from any other group of people. Constantly crying about snowflakes but they shit their diapers whenever there’s big boy stuff to discuss.
I'm by no means a a sjw but most of u people should actually read what Rowling said and put it in the right context as rational and grown up folks do. It's actually not that clear-cut. I don't know if americans can do that but I have hope. She is generalizing based on individual experience. U don't do that.
I hate to be that guy but, the “you Americans blah blah” is so played out. Give us some credit here.

Orta

Banned
The best form of protest that journalist in the OP can make is to jump off something very high.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Going to buy this game twice because I want it and so does my wife. And Steam Deck/PS5 game nights sounds nice.
Considering a third copy because of this ridiculousness.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
And then you'll have people dismiss this as "whataboutism".

Whataboutism can be and often is a fallacy, when it's used to justify or defend a bad thing with another bad thing. For instance, those who excuse Russia's invasion of Ukraine with "but this other nation did the same in the past!" True whataboutism would be saying "China does worse things so it's ok for J.K. Rowling to have anti-LGBT views."

The problem here is that people chastise a video game and directly negatively affect its developers due to the perceived connection with someone who isn't working on that video game and with those developers at all. We don't have any indication that those developers and their game support J.K. Rowling or her ideas. As a matter of fact, I'm fairly positive that the game will support ideas and views that most can likely see as very positive on the social spectrum.

This holy fury about a game rings absolutely hollow when someone has a similar monetary connection with an entity that is known to be an arm of a brutal regime that incidentally is absolutely no ally of LGBT folks. Pointing it out does not in any shape or form excuse Rowling's views, but if someone isn't able to disconnect the video game and its developers with the opinions of the person who originated the IP, I'm not sure how they can disconnect themselves from the regime to which their employer is intrinsically connected.

That being said, It would have been absolutely fine if they expressed their views in a dedicated opinion piece while still doing their job (or assigning that job to be done to another writer) as a news reporter as GameSpot did, instead of baiting the reader into believing they were going to find news about the game only to find something else entirely. Whether one likes it or not, this kind of discourse does have a place when discussing an art form, but that's what opinion pieces and editorials are for.

Last edited:

McCheese

having to tell people you are not covering a game because if you just didn’t cover it without making a song and dance about it nobody would notice.

Twitter folk are weird. He doesn’t want to give money to JK Rowling but is happy taking his money from chinas tencent to buy his child labour iphones.

Top Bottom