• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gauntlet announced (Warner Bros/Arrowhead, PC action RPG, Summer 2014)

salromano

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNxItMCK1w

Press Release

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Announces Gauntlet

Reboot of Arcade Classic Is Lead Game in "WB Games Vault" Made-for-Digital Portfolio

BURBANK, Calif. - March 17, 2014 - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced Gauntlet, a completely modernized action RPG version of the celebrated dungeon crawler, will be available this summer via Steam for PC, offering full support for SteamOS and the upcoming Steam Machines shipping the second half of this year. The game will lead the launch of WB Games Vault, a direct-to-digital portfolio that will deliver paid games based on popular Warner Bros. and Midway brands, plus original IP, across multiple digital networks.

"With Gauntlet we combined the arcade style of the original game with an entirely new look and feature set that includes emergent, local and online four-player gameplay," said David Haddad, Senior Vice President, Digital Games, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "Gauntlet will be the first title in the WB Games Vault portfolio, which will provide us with an opportunity to access emerging talent within the game development community and match unique skills and experience with our extensive library of properties."

Gauntlet, developed by Arrowhead Game Studios, innovates on past titles while staying true to the brand's legendary format. Players select from four classic fantasy-based characters: Warrior, Wizard, Valkyrie, or Elf. Each character has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. For example, the Warrior does the most damage in melee combat, the Wizard has the most powerful magic, the Valkyrie has the most armor and the Elf moves the fastest. Distinctive play styles, procedural dungeons and an impressive art style keep the gameplay fresh.

"To us at Arrowhead, Gauntlet is one of the most defining games from our childhoods, and it's amazing to be able to work with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on a brand new version," said Johan Pilestedt, CEO of Arrowhead Game Studios. "Gauntlet is one of the original and best known video game properties and we are looking forward to creating a fresh, yet true to the original, take on a multiplayer masterpiece."

Upon selecting a playable character, the gameplay is set within dungeons where the object is to fight through the chambers slaying evil creatures and completing challenges. An assortment of special items can be located in each dungeon that can restore the player's health, unlock doors, and shift the odds in the player's favor with magical relics which can aid the player in surviving longer in the Gauntlet. The enemies are a vast assortment of fantasy-based monsters, including ghosts, grunts, demons, spiders, sorcerers and skeleton warriors.

For more information on Gauntlet, please visit www.Gauntlet.com, https://www.facebook.com/PlayGauntlet or https://twitter.com/Gauntlet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, so putting aside indie darling Bastion, this will likely be Warner's first Linux title.

Xater

Looking good. It seems modern while at the same time capturing the spirit of the original. Weird that it's just for PCs but I guess Arrowhead's console game is Helldivers.

V_Ben

Banned
Looking good. It seems modern while at the same time capturing the spirit of the original. Weird that it's just for PCs but I guess Arrowhead's console game is Helldivers.

I'd bet that it launches first on PC and then comes to consoles later after they implement feedback.

Somnid

Looks good, very much like Diablo 3. But Steam-only? What is this? PC is the last place I'd ever play 4 local player co-op. Unless they're thinking it's mostly or entirely online which is some fucked up next-gen thing.

Zelias

Banned
Not that it bothers me, as I'm a PC gamer, but I'm a little surprised they haven't announced this for consoles too. Seems like it'd be a perfect fit.

This looks awesome. I wonder why they're skipping console releases though.

The game will lead the launch of WB Games Vault, a direct-to-digital portfolio that will deliver paid games based on popular Warner Bros. and Midway brands, plus original IP, across multiple digital networks.

Rampage reboot incoming?

Chindogg

If I can play it like the arcade version, I'm all over this.

Rampage reboot incoming?

17595d1363771392-caffine-junkies-death-wish-coffee-02192004193413.jpg

-MD-

Oh hell yeah this is just what I needed to see after the disappointing RCT news. Really hope this turns out well and if it does I'm gonna be all over it.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
The game will lead the launch of WB Games Vault, a direct-to-digital portfolio that will deliver paid games based on popular Warner Bros. and Midway brands

Remakes of Konami's Tiny Toons games incoming?
hahahahaha nope konami has sunk too far into becoming Metal Gear Inc.

Xater

This looks awesome. I wonder why they're skipping console releases though.

Rampage reboot incoming?

This WB Vault thing sounds interesting. If they keep using good developers like Arrowhead they might have something cool on their hands. I would love to see what some indies can do with those old arcade games.

sphinx

the piano man
the only thing I need to know is whether the gameplay will be balanced or am I just meant to die every 5 minutes trying to power-tackle through the ghosts and skeletons.

that's my only complain about the gauntlet games, otherwise, pretty fun.

JaseC

The game will lead the launch of WB Games Vault, a direct-to-digital portfolio that will deliver paid games based on popular Warner Bros. and Midway brands, plus original IP, across multiple digital networks.

Oh.
My.
God.

SuV3cF8.jpg

Digital re-release confirmed!

friday

Actual gameplay in the announcement trailer!?

Game looks pretty cool, if my friends pick it up I will play for sure.

I loved this on the NES and still got it somewhere

In the most muffled sound ever 'Valkrie your life force is running out' (well something like that lol)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The trailer was awesome. This could be a day one for me.

Khezu

Oh man, that actually is a Gauntlet game, no weird loot systems thrown in or anything, I'm sorry for doubting you WB.

My only complaint is how far zoomed out it is.

marrec

Banned
New PC release of classic gaming series made by a scrappy studio and not F2P?

Might and Magic X is sending ripples throughout the gaming world.

Dezzy

I assumed this would be more F2P mobile junk, but I'm glad I was wrong. This actually looks like it could turn out decent. A little too much like Diablo or Dark Alliance/Norrath with the way combat looks, but I'm interested. I still hope that someday someone released a Gauntlet Dark Legacy HD.

I don't think I've ever played a Gauntlet title, unless Gauntlet Legends counts. Hopefully this game is good and enjoyable.

I wonder how the SteamOS version will do...

How awesome would it be if it had randomly generated dungeons?

The OP mentions procedural dungeons. I imagine that's what they must mean.

JaseC

Yo. Doesn't WB own (part) of the Blood IP? Is this a sign of things to come?

Blood went with Monolith to WB after the buyout, but WB let the trademarks expire and later sold the IP back to Atari.

mclem

Intrigued. Wonder if it'll keep the vaguely shmuppiness of the original, or if it'll go more Diablo-ey.

Top Bottom