• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gauntlet announced (Warner Bros/Arrowhead, PC action RPG, Summer 2014)

Foaloal

Trailer makes it look kinda meh but I enjoyed Gauntlet back in the day so I'll check this out unless the impressions around release are really negative.

VSigma

Banned
Y'know, I've honestly never played a Gauntlet game, though the series has had a bit of my interest for a little bit. This may very well be the first in the series I try.

marrec

Banned
In case you guys are wondering, Arrowhead Studios made Magicka, Showdown Effect, and Helldivers.

So they seem uniquely qualified for a new Gauntlet game.

inky

Have to echo the sentiments here. Came expecting mobile F2P garbage, but leave surprised with the trailer, developer and choice of platform. Will keep an eye out. :D

Jawmuncher

Please for the love of god Warner, release games for the suffering and Psi-Ops.
Those were easily the best of the lot from midway back during the PS2 era.

Some Nobody

Oh man, that actually is a Gauntlet game, no weird loot systems thrown in or anything, I'm sorry for doubting you WB.

My only complaint is how far zoomed out it is.

Same complaint, but it's a PC game so I kind of expect it. If there's a console version (and there really, really should be), hopefully it won't be as bad.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Blood went with Monolith to WB after the buyout, but WB let the trademarks expire and later sold the IP back to Atari.

Oh god now I remember. I must have blocked it off completely. All my hopes and dreams #dead

Rootbeer

Banned
Has my attention. Pretty much a guaranteed buy since it's on Steam. Not sure if it'll be a day-1 get or not though. Need pricing, multiplayer and DLC info.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh god now I remember. I must have blocked it off completely. All my hopes and dreams #dead

Fork Parker (Devolver) said he'd go after the Blood IP if Shadow Warrior 2013 did well but as far as I can recall there was never an update.

Deques

Gauntlet developed by Arrowhead Studios? The same Arrowhead Studios that made Magicka? I thought they were tied to Paradox Interactive

Munin

Well I am glad Arrowhead got with a big publisher this time, I'm guessing Showdown Effect didn't do very well. It just kinda faded away extremely quickly after release.

It's about time Gauntlet was rebooted, it's well overdue.

The trailer looks decent enough.

It will be interesting to see if it can handle large rooms packed wall to wall with creatures like the original.

scitek

In case you guys are wondering, Arrowhead Studios made Magicka, Showdown Effect, and Helldivers.

So they seem uniquely qualified for a new Gauntlet game.

Yeah, I just looked them up, and as soon as I saw they made Magika, I was like "perfect fit."

Sentenza

Well I am glad Arrowhead got with a big publisher this time, I'm guessing Showdown Effect didn't do very well. It just kinda faded away extremely quickly after release.
It wasn't even bad, but the multiplayer was scarcely populated and it never got any decent post-release support... So yeah, I'm guessing it bombed for them.

Xater

It wasn't even bad, but the multiplayer was scarcely populated and it never got any decent post-release support... So yeah, I'm guessing it bombed for them.

Yeah it wasn't a bad game it just didn't seem to find it's audience. Maybe Arrowhead now found it's niche with these coop games.

I'm a little shocked that it doesn't look like a piece of shit. My expectations of reviving old franchises these days are low but that looked legitimately like it could be worth picking up!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, not only is it not Free2Play but it is actually on a plattform where I want to play Gauntlet? And developed by Arrowhead? Interesting....interesting.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sorry to sound like a party pooper, but they have their work cut out if they want to compete with Diablo or Path of Exile.

This ain't about that though. The Gauntlet games are more arcade'y level based affairs.

I hope *that* song shows up in the game. I forgot what the name is, but it's the one song I will always connect with Gauntlet.

JMTHEFOX

Timed PC Exclusive?
Arrowhead developing this game?

Interesting, hope this would have full controller support. I'm trying to get Logitech and Xbox 360 (for Windows) controllers.

Begaria

Aww yeah, Gauntlet's back, baby! I remember countless hours spent playing Gauntlet on the NES. I also admit to playing an unhealthy amount of Gauntlet Legends. I'll keep my eye on this new one.

I'm on board all the way.

Gotham City Impostors was a solid, fun, arcade-style DD MP FPS WB game, but was hampered by the horrible wait time for servers and that "service" GFWL.

Chindogg

Timed PC Exclusive?
Arrowhead developing this game?

Interesting, hope this would have full controller support. I'm trying to get Logitech and Xbox 360 (for Windows) controllers.

Fuck pads, busting out the TE for this one.

Well it doesn't look that much like diablo or biablo ii, it does look like diablo 3.

No it looks like the original Gauntlet. Diablo took a lot from Gauntlet much like Starcraft took a lot from Warhammer 40k.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On the one hand I kind of want to make a thread about WB Game Vault, but on the other hand I have a feeling there will be an interview about it soon.

Top Bottom