• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gauntlet announced (Warner Bros/Arrowhead, PC action RPG, Summer 2014)

bon

disappointed they didn't go with these designs.

esM5nQa.jpg

gZRAcqG.jpg

i'm half-kidding.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Looks better than I thought it would be. Tad generic style though; but if it's fun online then that's not a problem at all.

That backpeddling. It's okay. You played the 3D ones only. No need to pretend to be a hardcore fan.

And with that made-up mind of yours, there's no way the game will live up to your expectations since you've already labeled it as such. What a wonderful conversation this has been.

How is it back peddling? I've played the first ones, prefer the 3D ones and think this looks nothing like eithe of those and am upset that a franchise I loved ha been treated like such shit. The game will be garbage, mark my words.

CamHostage

Good stuff. It looks like it uses elements from Magika but isn't at all just some cash-in reskinning, it's fast, it shows some complex mechanics within the simplistic arcade-style play, it's got range weaponry but there's also close combat, and it looks nice. Also, they didn't worry about making the Valkyrie character super-fuckable, always a nice surprise!

Looking forward to playing it, and hopefully it does well enough to expand out to other platforms if the demand is there.

element

Blood went with Monolith to WB after the buyout, but WB let the trademarks expire and later sold the IP back to Atari.
Not true. WB owns Blood. It was owned by Atari in transition, but rights were given to WB. At least from trademark and Monolith's own website.

PC?

By Arrowhead?

Sign me up, day 1.

To those disappointed with the rather conservative designs, (you make the Warrior show off his glorious bod and cover up the Valkyrie? Where's my equal opportunity exploitation?) thanks to it being on the PC, modding is definitely not out of the question down the line.

Still can't believe it's on PC first, it's like I went back in time to the early-mid 90s during the glorious age of PC gaming!

GamerJM

Banned
Get hype.

PC seems like it could potentially be a better platform for local multiplayer than the PS4 or Xbox One which is crazy.

G-Fex

these diablo answers are jokes right ? Right?

Nobody ever played..the nes game or genesis game or even you know..the Arcade game?

lordmrw

Nobody ever played..the nes game or genesis game or even you know..the Arcade game?

it just goes to show the average age of a lot of the posters here. I've been a fan of Gauntlet since the original arcade game and I'm psyched for this.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Some people are simply too young it seems.

Anyway, as someone who DID love playing Gauntlet (I was going to say starting with Gauntlet IV on the Mega Drive, but turns out that was indeed based on the original Arcade version with new stuff added), this is great news.

In the other thread before this, I was a bit cynical, especially as people were calling a iOS/F2P thingy. This...well, I like this, a lot.

Will buy, now I need 3 friends.

Kalnos

Banned
it just goes to show the average age of a lot of the posters here. I've been a fan of Gauntlet since the original arcade game and I'm psyched for this.

I mean, even if you're young enough to remember Diablo and not Gauntlet then you can still remember something like Gauntlet Legends or Dark Legacy.

How is it back peddling? I've played the first ones, prefer the 3D ones and think this looks nothing like eithe of those and am upset that a franchise I loved ha been treated like such shit. The game will be garbage, mark my words.

What's so different from the previous games beyond what has already been stated?

But you know what? I replied. I'll give you a 6/10.

Toddimus Prime

Neo Member
How refreshing that this isn't F2P and mobile only! Given the recent rate of some old (and still loved!) franchises getting hamstrung with such blight, I'd a thought this would have been a lock in for iOS/Android.

I'm taking it as a good sign that the devs and Warner have the fan base in mind!

Cipherr

I am going to try the hell out of this. Gauntlet was the GOAT way back in the day man. I played early gauntlets long before I was even aware of Diablo.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks a lot better than I was expecting... only complaint really is that the perspective is a slight bit too zoomed out... love the original arcade and the Legends game was pretty fun too. Hell I even have good memories of the shitty Tiger handheld Gauntlet :p

Didn't see a gauntlet OT thread or impressions thread. This game is really fun and was worth scooping up for $10 that it was during steam sale. Love how the warrior plays and I beat coliseum on unfair (it really was) for my cape . It's a lot of fun playing with randoms but probably more fun with 3 other people you know. I hope we see a full fledged sequel if this gets enough support.

Also really like the wizard, reminds me of invoker from Dota 2, but I guess it's more appropriately related to magicka.

Didn't see a gauntlet OT thread or impressions thread. This game is really fun and was worth scooping up for $10 that it was during steam sale. Love how the warrior plays and I beat coliseum on unfair (it really was) for my cape . It's a lot of fun playing with randoms but probably more fun with 3 other people you know. I hope we see a full fledged sequel if this gets enough support.

Also really like the wizard, reminds me of invoker from Dota 2, but I guess it's more appropriately related to magicka.
Wow, tumbleweeds indeed. I too grabbed this during the Steam sale for $10. I've only played a little single player (I know, an unholy act in Gauntlet) but I love it. My brother and I both hope to give it a co-op whirl at some point.

I do like the Magicka-lite Wizard and seeing Arrowhead's trademark humor and violence in this setting. Really impressed.

Btw, does it run well online in co-op?

Kombatologist

Neo Member
I have 2 Steam codes for Gauntlet up for grabs if anybody wants them. The game is nearly 6 months old, but it still sells for $20 when it's not on sale.

There's a small catch: I was actually given 6 codes. However, 4 of them have been used already and I can't remember which 2 are still available. It's up to you to figure it out. :D

HF7MT-A88Z9-6J0V0
TLR6N-E8HV8-976X8
BJLIN-RGJ64-G3HPF
D3CHT-CLZG3-6RHAN
97GKN-6Q5KC-YFW26
CI7Z0-4L7LW-HXAB9

If able, please let everyone else know if you get one.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm so glad they sorted out the Warrior. He was a tad underpowered compared to the other members.

Skab

I have 2 Steam codes for Gauntlet up for grabs if anybody wants them. The game is nearly 6 months old, but it still sells for $20 when it's not on sale.

There's a small catch: I was actually given 6 codes. However, 4 of them have been used already and I can't remember which 2 are still available. It's up to you to figure it out. :D

HF7MT-A88Z9-6J0V0
TLR6N-E8HV8-976X8
BJLIN-RGJ64-G3HPF
D3CHT-CLZG3-6RHAN
97GKN-6Q5KC-YFW26
CI7Z0-4L7LW-HXAB9

If able, please let everyone else know if you get one.

Since no one seems to have told you, they're all taken.

Top Bottom