• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gauntlet announced (Warner Bros/Arrowhead, PC action RPG, Summer 2014)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
This did not look like Gauntlet to me. I think part of it was due to the fact that the monsters just basically stood there. In the old games (and the most recent ones) they would swarm you.

I'm also curious to know if they ditched the "you lose 1 health per second" mechanic. Its a hallmark of the series, but it was done to generate more revenue for arcade operators. I wonder if it really fits in now.

Wow, this looks like it might actually be good.

I hope they keep it nice and casual. It should be a great game for just jumping into with friends. It mustn't scare away new players from playing with an experienced player.
It would be terrible if they tried to make it more Diablo-like, with stats, levels and persistent characters.

I remember playing lots of Gauntlet 1 and 2 with my sister when we were kids. It was about the only game she liked.
I hope the sequel is the sort of game I can convince my wife to play.

It also needs to be ported to the consoles. PC gaming is a bit too srs bsns for this sort of game. It would be an amazing 'free' game to have on PS+ for example.

Lulubop

I hope they keep it nice and casual. It should be a great game for just jumping into with friends. It mustn't scare away new players from playing with an experienced player.
It would be terrible if they tried to make it more Diablo-like, with stats, levels and persistent characters.

I remember playing lots of Gauntlet 1 and 2 with my sister when we were kids. It was about the only game she liked.

It also needs to be ported to the consoles. PC gaming is a bit too srs bsns for this sort of game. It would be an amazing 'free' game to have on PS+ for example.

Huh?

Orayn

Arrowhead's last game, Magicka, was a PC-exclusive co-op game that did pretty well and was significantly sillier than Gauntlet.

molnizzle

I'm not a fan of the locked, zoomed-out camera perspective. I was hoping that this game would look more like Gauntlet Legends.

Oh well. =/

Tik-Tok

I don't understand.... You guys are all so enthusiastic about this but it looks absolutely terrible to me, and Gauntlet was one of my absolute favourite arcade games ever when I was a kid in the 80's

Meier

Gauntlet is one of two arcade games I ever threw a lot of quarters at (the other was Off Road and a bit of Super Off Road). What a fun game.

Actually there was a third. The giant monsters game that Wreck-It Ralph was seemingly based off of.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh, this is by the Magicka guys? When I watched the trailer I said to myself "this looks like Magicka". Looking at it again I'm pretty sure its the weight to the attacks and how the enemies respond, there's a specific heft to it that's almost identical to Magicka

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
famouspennyarcadestrip.jpg

20080112014716048.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Red Elf needs this game badly.

And they didn't slut up the Valkyrie! Yes!

VICI0US

awesome that they're finally doing something with the guantlet IP, but I'm kind of disappointed it's PC exclusive at the moment, hopefully it'll wind up on consoles as well

gauntlet has always been amazing couch co-op, many a weekends were spent playing 4 player gauntlet n64 in my younger days

Silky

Banned

Oh.

I'm not...disappointed.

Well, I feel like an idiot. I want this.

EDIT: ARROWHEAD IS MAKING THIS?! OH YES.

I'm also curious to know if they ditched the "you lose 1 health per second" mechanic. Its a hallmark of the series, but it was done to generate more revenue for arcade operators. I wonder if it really fits in now.

It could work with a little less harsh curve, I think. Adding a larger health pool and adjusting damage could suffice. Keeping food relatively scarce has to happen, though.

The recent game to look to on this would be Risk of Rain. They implemented the whole "time as an element" thing flawlessly, in my opinion, with further exploration being a risk/reward choice the player makes. Some levels you have to hit every corner for any pickup that could keep you going longer. Some levels you gotta mash them out, move on, forget that horrific experience ever happened, live to fight another day.

Kevin

One of the reasons I enjoyed Gauntlet Legends in the past was the varied environments. The trailer only showed a dungeon area off. Hope that isn't the only environment type in the game.

Kevin

After reading the press release it sounds like the entire game is just a collection of dungeons you go through. Combine that with the generic art style, it doesn't look like the Gauntlet game I've been wanting.

Doesn't look or feel like a Gauntlet game at all. Will check it out at a budget price though.

People asking for a new Gauntlet and who have a PC should try Hammerwatch. It's very reminiscent of old-school gauntlet, with some modern additions. You can even turn on degenerating health, if you want to.

mrpeabody

Looks good. Smart move to keep it simple instead of going the stat-heavy loot game route. Excellent choice of developer.

I'd like to see them add voice chat and arcade-perfect versions of Gauntlet and Gauntlet 2 wth online.

StAidan

People asking for a new Gauntlet and who have a PC should try Hammerwatch. It's very reminiscent of old-school gauntlet, with some modern additions. You can even turn on degenerating health, if you want to.

I'll second this, Hammerwatch is a terrific Gauntlet-like.

Regarding this remake specifically, it's hard to tell from the limited trailer footage, but it could be all right. It's too bad about the flying blood all over the place though, I generally try to limit the games in my collection that I wouldn't play with my children nearby. That means I'll likely be skipping this one regardless of how good it turns out to be.

mrpeabody

I was reading up on the various Gauntlet remakes and discovered that Midway's Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows development team included John Romero and Josh Sawyer. That must have been an interesting mix.

KingJ2002

Nice... i hope this comes to Mac or next gen consoles. Im interested but at the moment... don't have the OS to play.

Surprised this seems to be a SteamOS exclusive - intentional or not? Perhaps the first of many? Either way I look forward to seeing more of what this WB Games Vault will bring.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Surprised this seems to be a SteamOS exclusive - intentional or not? Perhaps the first of many? Either way I look forward to seeing more of what this WB Games Vault will bring.

It's Steam-exclusive, not SteamOS-exclusive.

I was expecting some shitty f2p iOS game but this is surprisingly great. From the Magicka dudes, too! Hopefully it comes to consoles, too.

I'm kinda looking forward to what else WB have waiting in their Vault, now.

I wonder how the SteamOS version will do...

Financially it won't be different compared to the Win version as it's Steamplay. Bigger question is how many will play that version.

As JaseC said it's (for now) Steam exclusive. It's going to be Steamplay, as in Win, Linux (and Mac?) versions.

Twinduct

Man surprised about being PC only. Makes it easy for me atleast!
Hope the netcode is up to scratch, Magicka was decent enough with my shitty connection.

But yeah imagine it will make it's way to Next Gen Consoles eventually.

Wishlist:
Steam Workshop with support for custom maps

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Do they now own the [NBA Jam and NFL Blitz] IP or can WB still make games for it?
For NFL Blitz: read between the lines and remember that EA's NFL license is exclusive...

As for NBA Jam, no idea how the NBA handles their license to 2K and EA.

Game Guru

New Gauntlet game?! On PC?! With Local Co-Op?!

(watches video)

...And it looks like a new Gauntlet game, so okay then! I'm willing to roll with this.

Hey, this actually looks like it could be good (minus the Western Games Brown Filter™).

Warrior is brown-red. Valkyrie is brown-blue. Elf is brown-green. Wizard is brown-yellow.

Why?

Oh snap. The art style is pretty gener-o but I didn't expect them to actually do it up with old school gameplay. Looks like a lot of fun. I have too many good memories of Gauntlet Legends to not give this a try.

SteamOS? Cool! Is this the first SteamOS game from a major publisher?

Metro: Last Light (Deep Silver seemed to have announced support, no updates since then regarding othet titles) and Rome 2(linux version isn't out yet). XCOM and its expansion seem to be getting one based on Steam registry stuff too. Can't think of others atm.

Top Bottom