• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gayest Street Fight You'll Ever See

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

TheRagnCajun said:
The fight was funny and the title is apt. I don't know why GAF is so sensitive. Probably a knee-jerk reaction from interpreting the use of the word 'gay' in the title as derogatory before realizing its actually pretty acurate.

The problem is the misuse of "gay" as a synonym for effeminate. Many (Most) gay men are NOT effeminate. It's a little like calling a video of a black guy eating chicken representative of black culture. Most people like chicken in general but it's not a feature of black culture to eat chicken and watermelon and all that. Those are stereotypes and so is the effeminate gay male.

Arozay

Gaborn said:
The problem is the misuse of "gay" as a synonym for effeminate. Many (Most) gay men are NOT effeminate. It's a little like calling a video of a black guy eating chicken representative of black culture. Most people like chicken in general but it's not a feature of black culture to eat chicken and watermelon and all that. Those are stereotypes and so is the effeminate gay male.
*groan*

Gaborn

Zaro said:

I didn't want to get involved in the discussion. I made one post earlier and left it at that. Since he asked though I thought i'd explain exactly why people are reacting like that. The people that have a problem with the title recognize the misuse of the word gay as a synonym for effeminate.

Gaborn said:

ok. granted its a stereotype.

Gaborn

RefigeKru said:
Damn Gaborn, why you always using black people as an example?

Kinda hurting my feelings here.

Pick your stereotype and the same point stands. woman crashes car in amazingly horrific way, thread title: How women park.
obviously not a real title
etc etc etc. You can apply any stereotype to this situation and the same point applies.

Gaborn said:
Pick your stereotype and the same point stands. .

Well some stereotypes aren't as offensive to some groups for whatever reason. The media still plays up gay stereotypes as funny, and I have generally assumed that gays have a sense of humour about it. Maybe not.

Gaborn

TheRagnCajun said:
Well some stereotypes aren't as offensive to some groups for whatever reason. The media still plays up gay stereotypes as funny, and I have generally assumed that gays have a sense of humour about it. Maybe not.

It just gets tiresome after a while. I'm a beer swilling football loving typical guy.
Still say it was a catch, fucking TERRIBLE rule robbed us
. There's nothing particularly effeminate about me and while I have a LOT of respect for effeminate gay guys (since they catch by far the most shit and they're the most visible segment of our community) that's simply not me.

So it gets tiresome. I've even had some people tell me "You can't be gay! You're a bigger sports fan than I am!"

Jerk

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
The media still plays up gay stereotypes as funny, and I have generally assumed that gays have a sense of humour about it.

Really?

Also, I think we can all agree that these individuals are offal, no matter their sexuality...

Future

If someone posted the straightest fight anyones ever seen, I'd assume it to mean the full on sterotypical macho male with testosterone oozing out of every minute. I think it's fair to accept the reversal, with gay meaning the stereotypical super feminine. Neither is offensive and both should be taken in stride. Much bigger things to waste time arguing about

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Gaborn said:
Pick your stereotype and the same point stands. woman crashes car in amazingly horrific way, thread title: How women park.
obviously not a real title
etc etc etc. You can apply any stereotype to this situation and the same point applies.
Didn't that thread happen? I remember it being ban city all over it

Gaborn

Parallax said:
Didn't that thread happen? I remember it being ban city all over it

Could be. I hope that doesn't happen here though. People are just ignorant even if they should know better.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
people ARE ignorant

i remember i saw one dude say some stupid broad generalization like "rappers are homophobic" and i was like damn you would think in 2010 people would generalize less

Jerk

Banned
Future said:
If someone posted the straightest fight anyones ever seen, I'd assume it to mean the full on sterotypical macho male with testosterone oozing out of every minute. I think it's fair to accept the reversal, with gay meaning the stereotypical super feminine. Neither is offensive and both should be taken in stride. Much bigger things to waste time arguing about

Both of those are actually offensive.

Whether or not it is worthy to 'waste time arguing about' is another story.

Gaborn

jon bones said:
people ARE ignorant

i remember i saw one dude say some stupid broad generalization like "rappers are homophobic" and i was like damn you would think in 2010 people would generalize less

50 cent's statement was homophobic. I also pointed out that on balance rappers as a whole have much less history of homophobia than reggae artists. I don't believe I ever said "rappers are homophobic." Also, rappers are not a minority group that has historically faced discrimination based on their status. Nice try though.

SLYspyda

Banned
Gaborn said:

Hmmm, really?

I mean most of the guys in the fight were gay......The OP might've used the word gay because of their behavior but he was proven correct by people who have verified the location was in front of a gay bar in a gay area of LA.

Gaborn

SLYspyda said:
Hmmm, really?

Does that REALLY surprise you? Most gay men aren't hair dressers either.

I mean most of the guys in the fight were gay......

How do you know they were gay? I mean, specifically?

The OP might've used the word gay because of their behavior but he was proven correct by people who have verified the location was in front of a gay bar in a gay area of LA.

Even if this is true, it doesn't change the fact that a small number of people acting in a particular not way is not the "est" example of ANYTHING. they may be gay but they're not the "gayest" because they're not representative of any but a portion of gay men.

jorma

is now taking requests
Jerk 2.0 said:
Both of those are actually offensive.

Whether or not it is worthy to 'waste time arguing about' is another story.

So when the fab 5 told me that i suck at interior design because i'm straight, i should be offended? Or should i not be offended because i have not been subjected to historical discrimination?

Gaborn

jorma said:
So when the fab 5 told me that i suck at interior design because i'm straight, i should be offended? Or should i not be offended because i have not been subjected to historical discrimination?

If you're bothering to watch a show like queer eye (I never saw the appeal of it personally) then you sort of know what you're getting into. Kinda like watching Family Guy and then finding something offensive. Or being a contestant on Hell's Kitchen and then getting surprised by Ramsey ripping you a new one.

Gaborn said:
If you're bothering to watch a show like queer eye (I never saw the appeal of it personally) then you sort of know what you're getting into. Kinda like watching Family Guy and then finding something offensive. Or being a contestant on Hell's Kitchen and then getting surprised by Ramsey ripping you a new one.

Kinda like opening this thread?

Replicant

SLYspyda said:
Hmmm, really?

Yes, really. The problem with the media is that the majority of gay guys portrayed by them are the effeminate types. As a result, there's an association that gay = effeminate in the eyes of society, which is not true at all. Some of the guys you see in the video are the flaming gay guys (effeminate gesture, lisp in voice, etc). The other type gay guys (the jocks, the bears, the normal joe, etc) would not hesitate punching you to a bloody pulp if you say something like that to their face. Some are even proficient in BJJ or MMA due to the fact that gay guys are often hassled by some bigots so they feel the need to protect themselves by learning martial arts seriously.

This is also the reason why some men don't want to be labeled 'gay' even though they sleep with other men (preferring the term men who have sex with men, etc). Many feels that this view does not represent them at all. These men simply like being with other men but does not possess any of the effeminate quality that society often attributes to being gay.

jorma

is now taking requests
Gaborn said:

So if i watch queer eye for a straight guy, what exactly am i getting into?

Gaborn

teruterubozu said:
Kinda like opening this thread?

No because a show like Family Guy or Queer Eye is unmistakable what it is. You know going in if not the details of what to expect that you have a reasonable chance of being exposed to something offensive. A thread on a message board (particularly one with a strong gay community and stronger moderation) generally doesn't lend itself to that standard.

jorma - to be honest I don't think I've seen more than 5 minutes of it flipping through channels but my understanding is you're going to be told (in not necessarily the nicest terms) why you suck at their definition of fashion and personal appearance.

Future

Gaborn said:
Watching queer eye is basically opening the door for straight guys getting insulted? And that makes that just as acceptable as this. Come on at least say that they shouldn't be stereotyping either

Not that it's much of an insult. Everyone knows that they are playin up the straight stereotype. But god why would anyone give a shit. Yes some straight dudes are jocks that don't know shit about design. Yes some gay dudes are super feminine and don't know how to fight. It's only offensive if you make it offensive. Obviously in either case there is no ill intent, and youf hope that would prevent people from starting these arguments

Gaborn

Future said:
Watching queer eye is basically opening the door for straight guys getting insulted? And that makes that just as acceptable as this. Come on at least say that they shouldn't be stereotyping either

But people go to them for the PURPOSE of being critiqued. That's the reason they WENT there. They're "experts" in their fields anyway I believe not just 5 random effeminiate gay men.

Not that it's much of an insult. Everyone knows that they are playin up the straight stereotype. But god why would anyone give a shit. Yes some straight dudes are jocks that don't know shit about design. Yes some gay dudes are super feminine and don't know how to fight. It's only offensive if you make it offensive. Obviously in either case there is no ill intent, and youf hope that would prevent people from starting these arguments

First, I didn't start this thread, heck, originally I made one post early on in the thread and I was going to leave it at that. But since some people are apparently deliberately obtuse (or ignorant) about why this could possibly be offensive I've been responding from there.

jay

Jerk 2.0 said:
Why the groan? He is on the mark.

Because dismissing people as overly sensitive is much easier than trying to explain why gay is actually a synonym for girly.

Air Zombie Meat said:
rare footage of hipsters actually angry
k0n1w6.jpg

jorma

is now taking requests
Gaborn said:
No because a show like Family Guy or Queer Eye is unmistakable what it is. You know going in if not the details of what to expect that you have a reasonable chance of being exposed to something offensive. A thread on a message board (particularly one with a strong gay community and stronger moderation) generally doesn't lend itself to that standard.

jorma - to be honest I don't think I've seen more than 5 minutes of it flipping through channels but my understanding is you're going to be told (in not necessarily the nicest terms) why you suck at their definition of fashion and personal appearance.

Well they do claim that the main reason the dude sucks at whatever they try to improve is him being straight. That's the premise of the show. 5 fabulous gay men and 1 dirty straight man. You probably should be offended at this on behalf of straight people, unless you are willing to admit you are a little bit of a hypocrate.

Personally i'm not offended. Why should i be offended about something stereotyping someone says to some dude i never met? It doesn't apply to me. Unless it DOES apply to me, in wich case i will laugh knowingly.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
This thread is all over the place, but that bouncer really deserves appreciation. I love how all those white guys (and some latinos) STFU when a black guy twice their size walks up and says to go home. It's just. Wow. So awesome. :D

Replicant

Future said:

Honestly? I found both to be annoying. I'm a private kind of person so I don't like some fucker telling me that my choice in t-shirt is awful while their shiny Gucci shirt is better. Which is why I don't watch "Queer Eye" because it just piss me off to no end. Similarly, I can't tell if someone make a thread with or without ill intent. Since most of the time the use of this word is meant for ill intent, I'd always be skeptical of its intention.

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member
They are gay, and the fight is gay even if they dont screw other men...which they do. If i saw straight people fighting the same way, i'd call it gay too.

Its funny gay people get all butthurt (wokka wokka) about misuse of the word gay, when they themselves are misusing it. The word does mean happy ya know. So if you can hijack that word and give it your own definition, then shouldnt others be able to take any word they want, such as faggot, and apply it to you? It all means the same thing in the end.

3kuSaS said:
They are gay, and the fight is gay even if they dont screw other men...which they do. If i saw straight people fighting the same way, i'd call it gay too.

Its funny gay people get all butthurt (wokka wokka) about misuse of the word gay, when they themselves are misusing it. The word does mean happy ya know. So if you can hijack that word and give it your own definition, then shouldnt others be able to take any word they want, such as faggot, and apply it to you? It all means the same thing in the end.
Wat.

Gaborn

3kuSaS said:

I rest my case.

Just... wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom