• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Expo: hands on impressions/media of Project Morpheus (Sony VR)

GobFather

Not making anything up, if you believe PS4 games with be their native resolution, FPS and same texture details on the PS4 VR headset, you've got to re assess your expectations:

Engadget's Preview: (Resolution)
"It's not all virtual reality rainbows and dreams, of course. There are still some pretty major issues to overcome in Project Morpheus. Vision blur, for instance, is a much bigger problem on Morpheus than on Crystal Cove/Rift DK2. The screen resolution is also clearly not as high as DK2, making everything a bit muddier, visually speaking. "

Comfort:
"Project Morpheus, right now, is a little uncomfortable. In so many words, it feels like a prototype still. As a demo man fit the headset on my generously sized noggin, he tightened a variety of different adjustments: one that tightened the whole unit on my head, another that brought the display portion forward toward my eyes. When you initially put it on, there's a gap between where you're looking and below -- certainly not a great way to create immersion."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/project-morpheus-hands-on/

So all the positive impressions are wrong and only a few negative impressions are correct because it fits your agenda? Thanks :)

Bheaze

Banned
We've been over this in this very thread. That is objectively wrong, unless everyone else including Sony is lying about the specs.

And about comfort, are we just going to ignore the entire OP, where every other report stressed how comfortable it is? Seriously, stop cherry-picking and trying to derail this thread.

lol this was the very first preview I read, it was the first one on N4G. It was honestly not suprising. It's simply PS4 hardware vs PC hardware, nothing new here. If you're expecting an experience that's close to Rift Dev Kit 2, you're dreaming.

Hellshy.

Not making anything up, if you believe PS4 games with be their native resolution, FPS and same texture details on the PS4 VR headset, you've got to re assess your expectations:

"It's not all virtual reality rainbows and dreams, of course. There are still some pretty major issues to overcome in Project Morpheus. Vision blur, for instance, is a much bigger problem on Morpheus than on Crystal Cove/Rift DK2. The screen resolution is also clearly not as high as DK2, making everything a bit muddier, visually speaking. "

Comfort:
"Project Morpheus, right now, is a little uncomfortable. In so many words, it feels like a prototype still. As a demo man fit the headset on my generously sized noggin, he tightened a variety of different adjustments: one that tightened the whole unit on my head, another that brought the display portion forward toward my eyes. When you initially put it on, there's a gap between where you're looking and below -- certainly not a great way to create immersion."

ok and you can do the same thing with these reviews and make a list of the positives. many have said the comfort is good. the fact that screen is adjustable is good news for those with glasses .

these are tech demos of a product in prototype stage . I havnt heard anyone say crystal cove is showing graphics on par with current ps4 games like shadowfall or tomb raider.

If Morpheus works well for ps4 it gives hope for mid range pcs that oculus will work as well for them too. Just saying, both wil compliment each other

Nafai1123

Banned

Engadget's Preview:

Where did I say that's what I expected? I'm well aware of the additional resources VR requires. The specs of the display are the same (960x1080x2) so it's factually incorrect to say that it's lower resolution.

Raist

Banned
They probably mistook the lack of motion clarity for lower resolution.

(Or there's a difference in internal rendering resolution / samples per physical pixel between the DK2 and Morpheus demos they saw)

I'm not disputing that IQ might be better on OR. I'm even kind of expecting it.
I'm just puzzled that one would make such a statement in a report article when tech specs are widely available. Somethingsomething facts checking.

StuBurns

Banned
You do realize that the game may not be running natively in 1080p. Just because the headset has a 1080p display, doesn't mean games run natively in 1080p. Remember, 3D halves performance and it's running on a PS4, essentially a low to mid range PC.
They said it features a lower resolution screen, and they are wrong. It actually has a higher resolution screen, the DK2 has two subpixels, not three, and it's higher FoV, so it's lower perceived resolution too.

If you seriously believe the PS4 can't run those demos at native 1080p/60fps, you are delusional.

Salex_

There's already hardcore OR fanboys out there? What's the point of making shit up and dismissing the competition? Don't you want VR to become popular much faster? If Sony's headset provides a great experience and they price it well, the device can sell millions and we can have constant support from indie and AAA developers.

This OR vs Sony war is nonsense. Look outside of the fanboy arena and you'll see what OR and Sony will have to work towards. They have to prove VR to millions of potential consumers.

lol this was the very first preview I read, it was the first one on N4G. It was honestly not suprising. It's simply PS4 hardware vs PC hardware, nothing new here. If you're expecting an experience that's close to Rift Dev Kit 2, you're dreaming.

But you just picked and chose the negatives over the positives. You are just chosing the impressions it seems based on what you think Morpheus device will be like

Durante

I'm not disputing that IQ might be better on OR. I'm even kind of expecting it.
I'm just puzzled that one would make such a statement in a report article when tech specs are widely available. Somethingsomething facts checking.
It's a tech blog.

You should know better ;)

majik13

Comfort:

I can cherry pick too

The first thing you notice about the Morpheus headset is that it's surprisingly comfortable.

...but Morpheus is still a little blurrier than the newest version of the Rift. Conversely, its superior lenses have actually done better at removing the blocky "screen door" effect, even if the display obviously can't measure up to a 2D counterpart. It's great at blocking out light without feeling stifling, something the Rift still struggles with

Sony's hardware improves on the Rift's design, and despite some problems with image quality, it certainly measures up to similar options
The Verge

The optics can be moved towards or away from your head, I was able to keep my glasses on and still be comfortable, and the unit was pleasantly lightweight. It didn’t take long before I forgot I was wearing it so I could focus on the scene.

Sony's challenge was to prove that it could do virtual reality as well as the Oculus Rift, and they passed that test with ease.

The display looks wonderful, the demos were running at 60 frames per second, the screens looked just about as good as the Rift Development Kit 2.
Polygon

However, even in this earliest incarnation the headset is more lightweight and comfortable that the DK1 build of the Oculus Rift

The lens position is a wonderful distance from the wearer’s eyes, allowing for users with or without glasses to avoid the unfortunate eye-contact that often is experienced with the Oculus Rift DK1 and HD editions.

While using the device the player can still see a small amount of the floor space.... Whether or not this will hinder the immersion will surely become a constant debate, but in VRFocus‘ experience it simply wasn’t an issue
VRFocus

Bheaze

Banned
They said it features a lower resolution screen, and they are wrong. It actually has a higher resolution screen, the DK2 has two subpixels, not three, and it's higher FoV, so it's lower perceived resolution too.

If you seriously believe the PS4 can't run those demos at native 1080p/60fps, you are delusional.

Well for it to be 1080p 60 FPS on VR, it'll have to be 120 FPS, which I doubt the PS4 can achieve, no offence. Well there must be a reason why Engadget thought the resolution seemed lower compared to the Rift, lol you can't just write that off and excuse it.

You do realize that the game may not be running natively in 1080p. Just because the headset has a 1080p display, doesn't mean games run natively in 1080p. Remember, 3D halves performance and it's running on a PS4, essentially a low to mid range PC.

The demos are running at native 1080p, and no, 3D does not halve performance. It very much depends on where your bottlenecks are (if you're vertex or draw call bound them yes, it will hurt you more), and there are elements in a frame that are shared between both views, like shadow map rendering.

orioto

Good Art™

Yeah i'm always amused by people commenting on "specs" with demos which we know actually nothing about how demanding they are, in term of geometry, texture etc...

Morpheus games will be done for the intended resolution of the headset. What will vary is what's on screen.

Love the look of this thing, especially the lights. THE FUTURE: APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD!

Hopefully they get low motion persistence in for the final build (it's a strobing backlight thing, Occulus pulled it off, and Sony has a grasp on the entire hardware chain, so...), fix some of the comfort issues, and improve the audio. All of of that can be fixed easily, though. It won't be an Occulus in terms of image quality, being powered by the PS4 and all (and eventually superseded by CK2/DK3/CK3), but we should see some interesting things happen. Personally, I think that the rendering constraints on the PS4 will produce some interesting games because photorealism will be more difficult, so we'll get Tron-like stylized VR going on for a while.

hohoXD123

What? This is the first time that Sony is showing off their VR headset and you didn't think it was surprising that they decided to go for a sub-native demo? That's ridiculous. Except it's not that simple at all, the VR headset itself has a massive part to play as well and from all the other impressions it looks like they're off to a great start.

Well for it to be 1080p 60 FPS on VR, it'll have to be 120 FPS, which I doubt the PS4 can achieve, no offence. Well there must be a reason why Engadget thought the resolution seemed lower compared to the Rift, lol you can't just write that off and excuse it.

Yes, and the reason is that they don't know what they're talking about. Wouldn't be the first time. As other people stated, they probably mistook it for something else.

Mrbob

There's already hardcore OR fanboys out there? What's the point of making shit up and dismissing the competition? Don't you want VR to become popular much faster? If Sony's headset provides a great experience and they price it well, the device can sell millions and we can have constant support from indie and AAA developers.

This OR vs Sony war is nonsense. Look outside of the fanboy arena and you'll see what OR and Sony will have to work towards. They have to prove VR to millions of potential consumers.

It is weird how they feel threatened by Sony VR. They should be happy, because it helps reinforce that VR is here to stay. OR alone cannot push VR to the mainstream.

I asked Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter and he said this:

aerh_zpseb0fa197.png

Thief is 30fps in ps4, it makes sense...

iceatcs

You don't need double framerate, not like 3DTV.

KoopaTheCasual

So, were all the reviews that said it was comparable just dreaming? The biggest complaint across the board would be remedied by simply replacing the LCD screen with OLED. How can you sit there and make that statement, when that's all that separates the models currently?

Bheaze

Banned
What? This is the first time that Sony is showing off their VR headset and you didn't think it was surprising that they decided to go for a sub-native demo? That's ridiculous. Except it's not that simple at all, the VR headset itself has a massive part to play as well and from all the other impressions it looks like they're off to a great start.

Yes, and the reason is that they don't know what they're talking about. Wouldn't be the first time. As other people stated, they probably mistook it for something else.

lol so Engadget's opinion on what they thought of the quality of the resolution is irrelevent... Right... The fact that they thought it was lower really doesn't make me optmistic about the quality of the VR headsets screen and quality.

Nafai1123

Banned

VR 3D is not the same as a 3DTV. It doesn't require twice the framerate. But if you want to ignore all the other positive impressions, saying that the IQ is very similar to the DK2 be my guest.

Dragon

Banned
Yo Bheazy bro, calm down. Oculus is the best. Morpheus is just a pretend world where you battle across highways and die like Jesus. No harm no foul.

KAL2006

Banned
If I had to guess they have delayed the release of Until Dawn for this device, I also expect Zindagi is also developing a game for this. I am nit expecting any high budget triple A game to support this device save for ports of last gen games. People expecting a game like Drive Club to support tis can stop dreaming, its not happening, first of all Drive Club only runs at 30FPS, and its pushing good graphics, to have it playable for VR there would be too many downgrades, in which case I would just prefer to play it on the TV and is not worth the tradeoff.

Bheaze

Banned
lol seems like you can't have a negative opinion on this VR headset without people yelling and screaming at you XD

hohoXD123

lol so Engadget's opinion on what they thought of the quality of the resolution is irrelevent... Right... The fact that they thought it was lower really doesn't make me optmistic about the quality of the VR headsets screen and quality.

I never said that their opinion was irrelevant, just that they're stating something incorrect as a fact. Their impressions still matter but they point to other possible scenarios than the one they're suggesting. This is still in the early stages, and with most people saying that it's comparable to Rift, I am optimistic.

lol seems like you can't have a negative opinion on this VR headset without people yelling and screaming at you XD
Just stop with this persecution complex. You can have your negative opinions, but don't try to pass off incorrect information as fact and don't try to defend other outlets which do the same. Case in point:

I wish the PS4 the best of luck with AAA games and running them at 120 FPS, I'm sure Battlefront will be running at 120 FPS on PS4 at 1080p :)

as a pc and ps4 owner who was already getting the rift when it comes out, I really want this but not sure I can justify having 2 VR kits

GobFather

You already had negatives thoughts before the reveal and then you only talked about negative impressions as though it reinforces your opinion while other positive impression says total opposite. You decide :/

One thing that hasn't been mentioned....

Would this thing be able to double up as a regular display for games?

As in, All normal titles playable with no VR elements? Dependant on input lag, it may be worth picking one up for that alone for me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well... he mentions the move losing calibration. Still the exact same problems as day one with this, and what makes me most nervous about this exeprience going forward.

Yeah, of actually all the quirks I've read so far, it's Move calibration that has me slightly concerned given prior experience on PS3. The wider fov of the PS Camera should help a lot compared to PS3, though. Maybe it's just unfinished libs/less-than-robust implementations in the demos. Hope it can be polished up.

It seems you need to have some kind of knowledge on VR before posting.

The bolded is factually incorrect. Spend 10 minutes researching what VR is about and come back to the thread. People in general don't like it when others make up their own facts.

StuBurns

Banned
You certainly can. People are fully willing to discuss the technical aspects of either system, but you have to display some amount of holding a rational stance.

Engadget are wrong. Is the Morpheus more blurry? Of course it is, it's not as low persistence and it's not refreshing as quickly, if you want to actual discuss the technical advantages and disadvantages of the technologies, people will be happy to do that, if you want to metaphorically post "lol consolz" over and over, people will not.

Top Bottom