• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Expo: hands on impressions/media of Project Morpheus (Sony VR)

Freeman

Banned
I'm really hating where the VR conversation is headed now. Saw it coming but still a shame. Decades of garage baked enthusiasm is about to be undone by decades of... something else.

Wish they had a chance to demo the units in a quiet environment with some premium headphones. Would love to get a better idea of the early sound work.
I honestly didn't understand what you mean, I was just making a joke, sorry If it offended you.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Q: is this VR thing made by the PS move team (Anton Mikhailov) or by Sony Japan ( PS2 PUD-J5A and HMD)?

I believe they said it's a collab across SCE. I would guess the hardware teams in Japan, SCEA R&D and Evolution, with SCEWWS input. I would guess they're also pulling in input from other relevant parts of Sony.

The resolutions are the same. The Rift benefits from being on a platform that gets more powerful every year and isn't closed. We'll see more content on the Rift than we will this simply because anyone can develop for the Rift.

While Morpheus benefits from the fact that one tool and one machine will be the focus of development. You are right about rift supporting higher end pc machines but that comes with a higher end price tag as well. The content i would say in terms of
Gaming might be more on Morpheus because its focus is games alone while for rift it will be games but other items too. For Morpheus it will all be about games

majik13

Are the two really competing though? Oculus will be on PC, Morpheus on PS4. I doubt there'd be much overlap competition wise, but it should boost the VR market overall, which is great.

Yes and no, in the end they are still competeting for your gaming dollar. I could see myself getting a PC or maybe a Steam machine once the Rift came out to experience VR, but now I wouldn't have to if Morphues delivers.

I want to know why impressions are saying the lenses fog up, but Sony said they were designed specifically to eliminate fogging...

Other than that, I like what I am hearing and can't wait to see what the prototypes look like by the end of the year.

Does anyone know if having a (just an example) 4k screen being fed a 1080p image will increase or reduce the screen door effect? That might be Sony's only option if they need to increase PPI.

I want to know why impressions are saying the lenses fog up, but Sony said they were designed specifically to eliminate fogging...

Other than that, I like what I am hearing and can't wait to see what the prototypes look like by the end of the year.

Does anyone know if having a (just an example) 4k screen being fed a 1080p image will increase or reduce the screen door effect? That might be Sony's only option if they need to increase PPI.

Just saw one impression saying it. Which is the other one

KoopaTheCasual

While Morpheus benefits from the fact that one tool and one machine will be the focus of development. You are right about rift supporting higher end pc machines but that comes with a higher end price tag as well. The content i would say in terms of
Gaming might be more on Morpheus because its focus is games alone while for rift it will be games but other items too. For Morpheus it will all be about games
Not true. At the reveal they said they're looking into Virtual Tourism and other media forms. The partnership with NASA also is supposed to include a Mars demo in the future? Can someone clarify if that last part was just speculation, or if that was actually stated in the conference?

Not true. At the reveal they said they're looking into Virtual Tourism and other media forms. The partnership with NASA also is supposed to include a Mars demo in the future? Can someone clarify if that last part was just speculation, or if that was actually stated in the conference?

Thats what they say about kinect too but 99% is all games

Bsigg12

For sure, Sony will be producing some of the best VR content for the foreseeable future based on having some of the vest studios. PC pricing is debatable for ages simply because there are so many different variations and price options possible. Sony in their thing yesterday said the Morpheous could be used for things other than games but it's intended to be focused on games.

Bheaze

Banned
How so? Whats an area that Rift is superior in? Most impressions seem to suggest this is better. Higher rez, more comfortable, ect.

i've read the opposite. The resolution is lower, the image is blurry, it's no comfortable to wear at all and the immersion isn't that great because the headset design is poor and there's gap between the bottom and top of the headset.

It's a poor mans Oculus Rift and will be able to produce PS3 graphics in VR for PS4 compared to Oculus Rift on PC show casing true next-gen visuals.

cakefoo

i've read the opposite. The resolution is lower, the image is blurry, it's no comfortable to wear at all and the immersion isn't that great because the headset design is poor and there's gap between the bottom and top of the headset.

It's a poor mans Oculus Rift and will be able to produce PS3 graphics in VR for PS4 compared to Oculus Rift on PC show casing true next-gen visuals.
Dev Kit 1 versus Dev Kit 2, it really doesn't mean shit if you don't specify.

The resolutions are the same. The Rift benefits from being on a platform that gets more powerful every year and isn't closed. We'll see more content on the Rift than we will this simply because anyone can develop for the Rift.

Yet Morpheus will benifit from a closed platform environment. Its the classic console vs PC arguement. Yet what results from that at the end every generation? How are games like Last of Us, MGS: GZs, and Ascension able look like they do? Obviously the differences could be larger 5 years from now(BF3 vs PC BF3 good example), but the benfit of the closed environment and mastering the hardware and optmizing over time offsets this some. In the short term(2-3 years) there are much more equal footing.

bee

I don't think it does look particularly good, but it's also running at like 20fps, and it's clearly not being rendered in VR.

certainly looks a damn sight better than ps3 style though also how you know its running at 20fps in game? could be poor capture or a multitude of other reasons, you expect unity engine to run at 20fps on pc? and anyway vr takes barely any more resources than normal gaming on pc, i had a rift dk1

I agree with people saying they should go for OLED

Fix the tiny gap at the bottom (not sure if that is intentional or due to the ergonomic non final design) and the little motion blur and you got a solid device

Resolution is the same as DK2, everyone has been saying it's really comfortable and the gap is on porpouse to allow the interior to ventilate and avoid fogging.
Personally I hope they manage to get around it without the gap for the final version, but having used the DK1 for long periods of time, I can see why they would do it.

cakefoo

Dev Kit 2 for Oculus Rift, it's league aheads of PS4 VR, all the impressions so far of Dev Kit 2 obliterate what I've read about PS4 VR.
Noone is disagreeing that Oculus's second dev kit is better than Sony's first. But Oculus has had a lot of feedback, Sony only yesterday revealed their kit to the masses, and said they're going to continue to improve it for the consumer version.

P.S. Stop talking like you've actually used either.

The resolution is the same (both are 1080p screens), the image is blurry because OR has low persistance and Sony doesn't, and nearly everyone has said it's as comfortable or more comfortable than Oculus.

Hellshy.

I have yet to see any reviews that have all these complaints. Its like you sifted through each review and pulled out all the bad things.

I have seen these complaints but others have stated the opposite of all these things. Its a prototype. Were people this negative after devkit1?

KoopaTheCasual

Dev Kit 2 for Oculus Rift, it's league aheads of PS4 VR, all the impressions so far of Dev Kit 2 obliterate what I've read about PS4 VR.
Weird, because outside of FOV and persistence, I haven't seen any obliteration going on. Can you not turn this thread into a battle?

Nafai1123

Banned

Now you're just making shit up. The resolution is the same as the DK2, the comments about it being blurrier are likely due to pixel persistence, and many have commented that it is more comfortable than the DK2.

suedester

Banned

You must have been reading different impressions to me as they seem quite comparable. Everyone seems pretty impressed with the Sony prototype.

I believe it can also be reduced if the individual pixels fill out the grid better (so that there are smaller gaps) while keeping the same res/PPI.

That only gets you so far. That can eliminate the large visual gap and make the screen door less noticeable, but it won't help with image clarity, especially when things are at a distance from the player and especially text which is really impacted. Just an example, but when the game renders an enemy at let's say 100m, that enemy may get rendered onto 20 pixels by 11 pixels. By changing the sub-pixel layout, you can reduce the gap between those pixels, but you still lose clarity compared to let's say a 1440p screen which could render that same character onto 35 by 20 pixels.

I don't know how feasible it would be for Sony to increase the resolution given the fixed hardware specs, or whether they're satisfied with where it is currently. 1080p is still good, but it's far from ideal.

Source?

So it's basically like Console VS PC, and all the advantages/disadvantages of each. I feel like we are all starting over and we have to decide to buy a PC or a console when ultimately both will be totally worthwhile for their own reasons.

KoopaTheCasual

Now you're just making shit up. The resolution is the same as the DK2, the comments about it being blurrier are likely due to pixel persistence, and many have commented that it is more comfortable than the DK2.
Seems like he's just a FUD slinging PC warrior. I think we should ignore him.

orioto

Good Art™
Hey, about the VR war... I really think there is no reason for that. The Sony VR will decide more big devs to have a VR mode into their game, while the Oculus will have (and already has) a great dynamic of experimentation and indy games. Really both are good for each other i'm sure.

GobFather

Source? Have not seen anything you claimed.

Bheaze

Banned

Not making anything up, if you believe PS4 games with be their native resolution, FPS and same texture details on the PS4 VR headset, you've got to re assess your expectations:

Engadget's Preview: (Resolution)
"It's not all virtual reality rainbows and dreams, of course. There are still some pretty major issues to overcome in Project Morpheus. Vision blur, for instance, is a much bigger problem on Morpheus than on Crystal Cove/Rift DK2. The screen resolution is also clearly not as high as DK2, making everything a bit muddier, visually speaking. "

Comfort:
"Project Morpheus, right now, is a little uncomfortable. In so many words, it feels like a prototype still. As a demo man fit the headset on my generously sized noggin, he tightened a variety of different adjustments: one that tightened the whole unit on my head, another that brought the display portion forward toward my eyes. When you initially put it on, there's a gap between where you're looking and below -- certainly not a great way to create immersion."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/project-morpheus-hands-on/

Durante

The fact that it may be (significantly!) blurrier in motion compared to DK2 should really not surprise anyone if it's using an LCD screen, particularly if it's not low persistence.

Totally I usually make snap judgments based on little first hand evidence. High five buddy!

Can you link to the comparison please

Take it to GameFAQs, son.

You must have been reading different impressions to me as they seem quite comparable. Everyone seems pretty impressed with the Sony prototype.

Seems like he's just a FUD slinging PC warrior. I think we should ignore him.

Well done men, looks like I am not needed here after all. Not saying there is no ways in which the Occulous is superior, but don't come in here acting like PM is a piece of junk when almost every impression I have read is that in most all ways it is extremely similar to DK2. Besides obvious differences, LCD vs OLD etc.

StuBurns

Banned
Not making anything up, if you believe PS4 games with be their native resolution, FPS and same texture details on the PS4 VR headset, you've got to re assess your expectations:

Engadget's Preview:
"It's not all virtual reality rainbows and dreams, of course. There are still some pretty major issues to overcome in Project Morpheus. Vision blur, for instance, is a much bigger problem on Morpheus than on Crystal Cove/Rift DK2. The screen resolution is also clearly not as high as DK2, making everything a bit muddier, visually speaking. "

They are objectively wrong, it is not a lower resolution screen.

majik13

several of the articles said that it was more comfortabel than the rift, I think only the first article said that it was uncomfortable.
The main gripes were, the gap/opening on the bottom, but several said that it should be a non issue once you are playing it at home, slight bars on the peripeheral, and occional glitching of the move/hand tracking

Raist

Banned

Comfort:
"Project Morpheus, right now, is a little uncomfortable. In so many words, it feels like a prototype still. As a demo man fit the headset on my generously sized noggin, he tightened a variety of different adjustments: one that tightened the whole unit on my head, another that brought the display portion forward toward my eyes. When you initially put it on, there's a gap between where you're looking and below -- certainly not a great way to create immersion."

So "all the impressions" is that one engadget report, where they talk about resolution differences that don't exist. Alright then.

Bheaze

Banned
They are objectively wrong, it is not a lower resolution screen.

You do realize that the game may not be running natively in 1080p. Just because the headset has a 1080p display, doesn't mean games run natively in 1080p. Remember, 3D halves performance and it's running on a PS4, essentially a low to mid range PC.

Totally I usually make snap judgments based on little first hand evidence. High five buddy!

Not to mention it's the first public prototype. The final specs and price will be worth discussing. Essentially it feels like comparing Morpheus to Rift is like comparing PC to consoles. High end PC rigs are better, but way more expensive too. I'mguessing it will be the same thing here.

You took all the negative impressions and created the one impression. You picked and chose for what you think the impressions are

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The fact that it may be (significantly!) blurrier in motion compared to DK2 should really not surprise anyone if it's using an LCD screen, particularly if it's not low persistence.

I think for sure the current kit is not low persistence, at least based on these impressions.

KoopaTheCasual

Comfort:

We've been over this in this very thread. That is objectively wrong, unless everyone else including Sony is lying about the specs.

And about comfort, are we just going to ignore the entire OP, where every other report stressed how comfortable it is? Seriously, stop cherry-picking and trying to derail this thread.

You do realize that the game may not be running natively in 1080p. Just because the headset has a 1080p display, doesn't mean games run natively in 1080p. Remember, 3D halves performance and it's running on a PS4, essentially a low to mid range PC.

Does it say somewhere the deep and the castle were sub 1080p demos

Durante

So "all the impressions" is that one engadget report, where they talk about resolution differences that don't exist. Alright then.
They probably mistook the lack of motion clarity for lower resolution.

(Or there's a difference in internal rendering resolution / samples per physical pixel between the DK2 and Morpheus demos they saw)

I think for sure the current kit is not low persistence, at least based on these impressions.
Yeah, while its probably better than DK1 (which is my only reference for non-low-persistence TFT VR) motion clarity in that is really quite horrid.

Top Bottom