• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2: Real-Emergence Thread of Cubed Meat - HD Gameplay up!

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
Being made aware of where scans are available defeats the purpose of banning them on NeoGAF. Its the same as requesting illegal what-have-you through private messages.

Well god damn, I'm glad I know now! Wanna play Gears now? I'm on.

Septimus

So... will the TV spots for Gears 2 stand any chance of being as catchy and timeless as Gears 1? It would be awesome if they used Mad World again.

Dirtbag

Septimus said:
So... will the TV spots for Gears 2 stand any chance of being as catchy and timeless as Gears 1? It would be awesome if they used Mad World again.

nope.

We never saw that ad coming. No matter what they do, we will be expecting it this time.
And expectations ruin reality always, at least pretty much always.

Sean

Banned
"As it stands, our time with the game was hands down the best multiplayer shooter experience we have ever had."

That's some lofty praise.

Gears 2 needs a straight-up Deathmatch option with respawns. Something like first team to 25 kills wins the match.

Why? Practice. It's pretty tough to get better when you die early in a match and have to wait 5 minutes for your next chance. An option with true respawns will help players improve their head to head fighting abilities a lot more.

Foil

Green Shinobi said:
Gears 2 needs a straight-up Deathmatch option with respawns. Something like first team to 25 kills wins the match.

Why? Practice. It's pretty tough to get better when you die early in a match and have to wait 5 minutes for your next chance. An option with true respawns will help players improve their head to head fighting abilities a lot more.

Yeah it wouldn't hurt to have a team based mode where everyone respawns and the most kills wins once the time runs out. I also think it could use a 6-8 player Lone Wolf mode where it's everyman for himself in both an elimination (one life per player each round) styled mode and a deathmatch mode (infinite respawns, most kills wins).

The more game modes the better imo.

TDG

Banned
Wow, those scans were terrific. I can't wait for the new EGM. I specifically liked the pics of the chainsaw battle at the snowy village. Also, the Lancer looks really sexy now.

I can't wait for this game.

DoomGyver

Shins said:
Being made aware of where scans are available defeats the purpose of banning them on NeoGAF. Its the same as requesting illegal what-have-you through private messages.

fixed it.

I assumed that you just couldn't post links, but the more you know. Google is your friend.

So I heard something about not being able to dodge or roadie run while being shot by certain weapons? Can anyone kind of explain this? Because without dodging and running and rolling and the like during battle, the game isn't like Gears. If the level of stopping power slows down the character and prevents him from performing dodge functions, whats the point of dodge and the like to begin with?

Dirtbag

Dark FaZe said:
So I heard something about not being able to dodge or roadie run while being shot by certain weapons? Can anyone kind of explain this? Because without dodging and running and rolling and the like during battle, the game isn't like Gears. If the level of stopping power slows down the character and prevents him from performing dodge functions, whats the point of dodge and the like to begin with?

All we know at this point is bullets slow you down. So you can't roadie run straight at someone that is shooting you and expect to spring the shotgun on him... thank god for that.

I'm not sure you are unable to dodge, I would assume that the diving function is still in the game the same as before.

Dark FaZe said:
If youre running head-on to someone while they're firing at you, it slows you. I imagine you aren't impeded when running AWAY from fire.

Kydd BlaZe

Will have to see footage of this "stopping power." Sounds like it could completely change the way we play Gears. I'm having a hard time understanding what they mean by "slowing you down." This has the potential to be game breaking, IMO.

I don't know if I like that. To me every weapon in the game is already extremely effective from range as it is if there is no lag. I don't see why anything should have been placed in the game to discourage close range dodging mechanics and the like to be able to close that gap.

Dark FaZe said:
I don't know if I like that. To me every weapon in the game is already extremely effective from range as it is if there is no lag. I don't see why anything should have been placed in the game to discourage close range dodging mechanics and the like to be able to close that gap.
There's no way that someone with a shotgun should ever be able to beat someone with an assault rifle in a mid-range situation unless the guy with the assault rifle really screws up. But in Gears 1, that happened all the time.

m0dus said:
Whoa, okay. I'll bite.

please tell me how something like getting shot with a shotgun/high-powered rifle slowing you down in mid-charge would be 'game breaking' ?

Slowing down your roadie run in mid charge isn't game breaking. However preventing dodge roll while taking lancer fire would be bad.

I doubt thats the case, but a scan is quoted to say that there is a level of stopping power that will prevent you from running or dodging towards you while under fire.

Now if this simply means while your running forward or dodging forward, or dodging left or right or backwards, or none of the above but simply slowing your movements, I'm not to sure at this point.

I'm guessing you simply slow down though. Because an inability to dodge while taking fire certainly would be gamebreaking.

Kydd BlaZe

Dark FaZe said:
Slowing down your roadie run in mid charge isn't game breaking. However preventing dodge roll while taking lancer fire would be bad.

I doubt thats the case, but a scan is quoted to say that there is a level of stopping power that will prevent you from running or dodging towards you while under fire.

Now if this simply means while your running forward or dodging forward, or dodging left or right or backwards, or none of the above but simply slowing your movements, I'm not to sure at this point.

I'm guessing you simply slow down though. Because an inability to dodge while taking fire certainly would be gamebreaking.

Exactly. I mean, rushing head on into lancer fire should be instant death, but thats not what i'm complaining about. If this stopping power affects my ability to get away from fire (ie slowing my dodge roll) and makes me a sitting duck out in the open, then this is indeed game breaking.

Green Shinobi said:
There's no way that someone with a shotgun should ever be able to beat someone with an assault rifle in a mid-range situation unless the guy with the assault rifle really screws up. But in Gears 1, that happened all the time.

Thats simply a matter of distance. A lancer to be effective (which it is extremely powerful in a lagless room) must have the player be standing completely stationary or moving slowly. If its a true mid-range situation, the lancer will win provided there is no lag. The problem is, what you consider to be mid range, likely isn't mid range anymore simply because the shotgun is one of the only weapons in the game where you can be devastatingly accurate while moving around.

So there is definitely an issue there. And depending on the layout, it can be an impossibility to truly get out of the way of this speeding train which is the shotgun user.

But to me the answer to that, is to simply nerf the shotgun. Decrease its range of effectiveness so that most weapons truly have the advantage except in truly, truly close range situations.

I just don't want users that are typically incapable of hitting me with enough bullets while I'm running or dodging to kill me to all of a sudden have my body slow to a ridiculous level
simply because I got tagged with a bullet or two. So then I'm doubly fucked. I can't shoot while rolling or running anyway, and since I'm slowing down, the enemy is capable of landing more shots. In typical gears 1 lag, this probably isn't an issue. But in what will hopefully be a fairly lagless gears 2 game, the lancer/hammerburst will probably pack enough of a punch from range to put you down quickly, so any potential slowdown could be the difference in life or death.

I expect the levels of stopping power to be fairly balanced though since this is Epic. I'm sure they'll get the job done and it'll be a superior experience over Gears 2.

I can already see Gears 2 being a better game tactically with destructible cover, 5 on 5, and other additions to the game.

Dirtbag

Kydd BlaZe said:
Exactly. I mean, rushing head on into lancer fire should be instant death, but thats not what i'm complaining about. If this stopping power affects my ability to get away from fire (ie slowing my dodge roll) and makes me a sitting duck out in the open, then this is indeed game breaking.
This game is about cover and cover mechanics.

Not about blitzing into battle with shotguns, the fatal flaw in gears 1. Not about being out in the open. I personally welcome the change, hopefully it will promote smarter tactics.

So many games have this, its just subtle and you don't realize it. The one that really comes to mind is the halo 1 plasma rifle.

Dark FaZe said:
But to me the answer to that, is to simply nerf the shotgun. Decrease its range of effectiveness so that most weapons truly have the advantage except in truly, truly close range situations.
They did this in Halo 2, and I thought it pretty much ruined the game. You expect a shotgun to have some punch to it, even at 5 yards away.

Dirtbag 504 said:
This game is about cover and cover mechanics.

Not about blitzing into battle with shotguns, the fatal flaw in gears 1. Not about being out in the open. I personally welcome the change, hopefully it will promote smarter tactics.

So many games have this, its just subtle and you don't realize it. The one that really comes to mind is the halo 1 plasma rifle.

Agreed, but there are times where you simply MUST charge the enemy to get in an advantageous situation in Gears if only to disrupt them from picking you off from their superior position.

Look at Mansion for example. Say one team has gone there is at the top of the stairs by snipe, and our guys want to attack with our boom from entering front door or the side entrances. In either case, they have the advantage. The boomshot must be used in close range situations, and they will be able to fire down from any entrance and slow down my movements so I can't get within firing range.

So what do I do? Camp I suppose. And thats not good for the game. But again I think Epic will balance it to the point where stopping power doesn't give that much of an advantage to guys in a better defensible position. Like you say, hopefully its subtle and acts as a deterrent to raging shotgun users.

Green Shinobi said:
They did this in Halo 2, and I thought it pretty much ruined the game. You expect a shotgun to have some punch to it, even at 5 yards away.

That was overly nerfing the weapon. Especially considering the slow movement speed of halo 2 where you don't have the greatest of chances of closing the gap.

Dirtbag

Dark FaZe said:
Agreed, but there are times where you simply MUST charge the enemy to get in an advantageous situation in Gears if only to disrupt them from picking you off from their superior position.

Look at Mansion for example. Say one team has gone there is at the top of the stairs by snipe, and our guys want to attack with our boom from entering front door or the side entrances. In either case, they have the advantage. The boomshot must be used in close range situations, and they will be able to fire down from any entrance and slow down my movements so I can't get within firing range.

So what do I do? Camp I suppose. And thats not good for the game. But again I think Epic will balance it to the point where stopping power doesn't give that much of an advantage to guys in a better defensible position. Like you say, hopefully its subtle and acts as a deterrent to raging shotgun users.

That was overly nerfing the weapon. Especially considering the slow movement speed of halo 2 where you don't have the greatest of chances of closing the gap.
Stopping power is the best thing they could have done for the game. So much of gears gameplay was charge straight forward with grenades or shotgun, Horrible.
Halo 2 had the fastest movement speed of all the halo's.

Ramirez

Dark FaZe said:

Wha? I used to shoot that bad boy from the spawn on Gridlock and take out 2 dudes that were chilling at the sniper spawn. :lol

Ramirez said:
Wha? I used to shoot that bad boy from the spawn on Gridlock and take out 2 dudes that were chilling at the sniper spawn. :lol

I was saying an example of Mansion at snipe spawn. Yeah of course the boom can kill from range, but it can be fairly easily dodged so long as you see it coming and have the space to do so.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Stopping power is the best thing they could have done for the game. So much of gears gameplay was charge straight forward with grenades or shotgun, Horrible.

I'm looking forward to the gameplay being more balanced. I'm simply saying a scenario where charging an opponent in cover = instant death would be bad because there are times where you have little choice. But again I'm sure all will work out. I was just confused about what the nature of stopping power is. I still don't think I have a 100% clear answer and we'll have to wait until Cliffy specifies.

Halo 2's movement speed in combination with the strength of its nerfed shotgun isn't comparable to a weaker shotgun in Gears 1 obviously due to cover/roadie run and the like. I was simply saying that what didn't work for Halo doesn't necessarily mean it has to
have the same result in Gears. They are vastly different games.

DoomGyver

Wow, I hope some of you aren't losing sleep over whether or not Gears 2's gameplay will be nerfed or ruined. We haven't even seen footage of what the new alterations will bring.

Have you forgotten who is developing Gears? Epic

Honestly, out of all the top developers this generation I would worry the least about the gameplay. It sounds like some of you are asking for a Gears 1.5 and are dreading the change, a possible change for the better.

I want Gears 2, not a Gears expansion but a new game! A game where they can build on the basic elements of Gears of War that we came to love and blend that with solid gameplay.

Bring on the change.

Dirtbag 504 said:

Halo 1's movement speed is noticeably faster than Halo 2 and Halo 3. There's something out there where Bungie talks about why they slowed Master Chief down for the sequels...but carry on with the Gears discussion.

Dirtbag

K the Nemesis of C said:
Halo 1's movement speed is noticeably faster than Halo 2 and Halo 3. There's something out there where Bungie talks about why they slowed Master Chief down for the sequels...but carry on with the Gears discussion.

nope

Full Recovery said:
I want Gears 2, not a Gears expansion but a new game! A game where they can build on the basic elements of Gears of War that we came to love and blend that with solid gameplay.

Bring on the change.

Just talking about the possibilities of negative effects of some of the new features I'm not completely sure about. I'm sure most of them will probably enhance the game and make it better once Epic releases content. No biggie.

Gears 2 is still on the top of my list for 08 :lol. A lot of the new additions are just mouth watering.

I wonder how many original maps will be returning to Gears 2. A lot of them were really well balanced and it'd be a shame to leave them hanging :(.

Epic hasn't let me down yet through all my years of UT and now Gears. I haven't played UT3 yet, but I'm sure Gears 2 will deliver.

DoomGyver

Dark FaZe said:
I wonder how many original maps will be returning to Gears 2. A lot of them were really well balanced and it'd be a shame to leave them hanging :(.

I've heard Gears 2 will come with roughly a dozen maps, one of which is Gridlock.

My guess is: Gridlock, War Machine, and Fuel Depot

I don't see them remaking more than 3 maps, unless the community has a hard one for a particular map they miss.

Full Recovery said:
I've heard Gears 2 will come with roughly a dozen maps, one of which is Gridlock.

My guess is: Gridlock, War Machine, and Fuel Depot

I don't see them remaking more than 3 maps, unless the community has a hard one for a particular map they miss.

Those 3 are probably my favorites from the original gears. My favorite probably being War Machine. All 3 of those are probably also well suited to 5 on 5 play.

GhaleonEB

K the Nemesis of C said:
Incorrect.

DoomGyver

Dark FaZe said:
Those 3 are probably my favorites from the original gears. My favorite probably being War Machine. All 3 of those are probably also well suited to 5 on 5 play.
They also seem to work best in competitive play, MLG likes these in particular as well. The symmetry just makes everything equal.

DoomGyver

Black_Ice said:
For a return, I would like:

Gridlock
War Machine
Clocktower

Underrated map IMO, although my only gripe with it is the spawns, and the distance in height between the sniper area and the boomshot. (cutting out one section of stairway would be perfect)

Ramirez

Canals and War Machine were SO awesome. Mansion was pretty good too, it was the first map I played actually, talk about being blown away by graphics. :lol I thought Mausoleum offered the best fights for the core cover mechanics though.

Ramirez

Honestly I can't say I down right hated any of the maps, except maybe the one with the stairs, can't even remember the name it's been so long.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Escalation, and that map wasn't good at all. The people spawning at the top would get annihilated by two decent snipers and two others throwing nades.

Feindflug

Eriatarka said:
If they nerf the shotgun I'll kill myself. I hope the shotgun handles just like it does in GOW1. Without the lag that is.

The shotgun is so random/broken that it's not even funny, sometimes you blow someone to pieces from a distance and other times you shot someone in his neck and survives...also something else that needs to be fixed is the instant downs from active reloaded snipers - it's too damn powerful and a lot of people are now good at aiming with the sniper because of the steady/fast aiming and slow movement of the players - it's all about the headshots baby! :p

Also no love for Fuel Depot? it's the best map along with War Machine IMO.

Top Bottom