• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Discussion

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Skilotonn said:
And that's right, they haven't shown us the grenade finisher yet either...

its shown at the start of the gamespot multiplayer vid :)

Tieno

If you want to see the Hammer of Dawn just watch the E3 06 Trailer of Gears of War, at least I think that's the Hammer of Dawn.

Here are some other weapons

COG weapons

Rocket Launcher, Shotgun, Lancer (assault rifle with chainsaw bayonet), Longshot (sniper rifle)Snub pistol, Frag Grenades, Smoke Grenades, Flash Grenades.

Locust weapons

Hammerburst, Boomshot (basically the equivalent of a brute shot, except when shot, the one grenade splits into multiple grenades), Bologrenade, Torque bow (Crossbow that shoots remotely detonated arrows, The longer you hold down the aim button, a reticule bends from a wide arc into a straight line, as if you were pulling a bow string taught. A short pull will allow you to shoot arrows into the air that drop down into enemy flesh; a long pull will produce a devastating shot that, if landed, would cause the afflicted to explode).

Unknown faction but confirmed weapons

Hammer of Dawn (satellite beam weapon that you can not only call in but also drag around once the beam hits so you can chase your foes around with it.), Gatling Gun, Gnasher.

eso76

Well, i went from brute force skeptic about the game to "oh no, single player will only last 10 hours !! ".

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I will play GoW on the hardest setting. I have no doubt that it will take a minumum of 12 hours to beat it on that setting. Plus, multiplayer will add so much to this game (I hope).

Hunter D

Speevy said:
Just in case anyone is counting, Halo is a 10 hour game.
THe MGS games are 10 hour games too. So is splinter cell. The only games that took 15-20 hours on the first playthrough are NG and RE4.

Razoric

Banned
Resident Evil 1 could be beatin in under 3 hours.

I actually prefer shorter games. I don't have time to waste 20-30 hours on a single playthrough of an action game.

op_ivy

Skilotonn said:
The "put the grenade in his mouth and crush his head with it" finisher?

kind of hard to tell what hes doing ( * ), but he has the grenade equiped, walks up to a locust and slaps him*, then a few seconds latter, kaboom

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
op_ivy said:
kind of hard to tell what hes doing ( * ), but he has the grenade equiped, walks up to a locust and slaps him*, then a few seconds latter, kaboom

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen a multiplayer vdeio from Gamespot on Gears - gonna look right now...

op_ivy said:

Yeah it just looks like a stick rather than any kind of forced entry into the Locust's jaw! :D

op_ivy

Skilotonn said:
I didn't see any multiplayer video on Gamespot, and if you're talking about the clip from the X06 montage, that isn't it - that's the grenade tag...

Here's just that bit on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMlKn1ppDVo

ok, yeah, thats not the same video, but that clip is the same (though doesnt show the whole thing). your referring to a finishing move, like the curb stomp?

Tieno

Sniping someone is gonna be so satisfying...being sniped seems like a lot of fun too when you're just standing there minding your business and all of a sudden your head just explodes.
Cliffy says you wont directly fall to the ground when you're sniped/head explodes (kind of like a chicken).

headshot.gif

Quote:
COG weapons

Rocket Launcher, Shotgun, Lancer (assault rifle with chainsaw bayonet), Longshot (sniper rifle)Snub pistol, Frag Grenades, Smoke Grenades, Flash Grenades.

Locust weapons

Hammerburst, Boomshot (basically the equivalent of a brute shot, except when shot, the one grenade splits into multiple grenades), Bologrenade, Torque bow (Crossbow that shoots remotely detonated arrows, The longer you hold down the aim button, a reticule bends from a wide arc into a straight line, as if you were pulling a bow string taught. A short pull will allow you to shoot arrows into the air that drop down into enemy flesh; a long pull will produce a devastating shot that, if landed, would cause the afflicted to explode).

Hammer of Dawn (satellite beam weapon that you can not only call in but also drag around once the beam hits so you can chase your foes around with it.), Gatling Gun, Gnasher.

Just what I needed to hear. Hype reset to maximum.

Geoff9920

Sugarman said:
Quote:
COG weapons

Locust weapons

:lol Sounds like fun! :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
op_ivy said:
ok, yeah, thats not the same video, but that clip is the same (though doesnt show the whole thing). your referring to a finishing move, like the curb stomp?

Man, I just noticed that the date on the video was from yesterday! I guess the name threw me off since I thought it was just a trailer we've seen before...

But yeah, it's a finishing move like that, where you supposedly force a grenade down the Locust's throat and step on his head and the grenade goes off...

And man, that Gamespot MP trailer footage looked spectacular! This is where that little clip came from, so they should just throw this up on Marketplace damnit! It looks so solid - even just watching the other players taking cover and shooting in the background looks so awesome, like you're playing in a movie or something... oh man!

gstaff

Tieno said:
Sniping someone is gonna be so satisfying...being sniped seems like a lot of fun too when you're just standing there minding your business and all of a sudden your head just explodes.
Cliffy says you wont directly fall to the ground when you're sniped/head explodes (kind of like a chicken).

headshot.gif

I think I watched that gif for 15 minutes the other day off ******...you're right, head shots are going to be great.

GhaleonEB

I like that the Locust and COG weapons are so different. The human weapons are pretty traditional, a few exeptions aside. But those Locust weapons sound like a hoot. :D

op_ivy

gstaff said:
I think I watched that gif for 15 minutes the other day off ******...you're right, head shots are going to be great.

i am a bit worried about sniping in this game though. seems like it will be easier then in most games due to the cover system. players will pop out from cover to shoot in the exact same position each time (unless they are able and do move while covered). seems like lining up head shots will be easy as pie.

op_ivy said:
i am a bit worried about sniping in this game though. seems like it will be easier then in most games due to the cover system. players will pop out from cover to shoot in the exact same position each time (unless they are able and do move while covered). seems like lining up head shots will be easy as pie.

You can move while covered.

God I hate seeing that gif. It really should be banned with all the other shit the ban around here.
Yeah I agree.

op_ivy said:

Well then it will be the fault of the sniper then. Shoot and move unless you don't get spotted.

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
That can be countered by the ways you move. You can lean out from the cover, disengage the cover and walk out, or do a dive/roll away. By mixing up the way you move from point to point you make yourself a much tougher target. People who just lean out, then hide, then lean out again like a jack-in-the-box won't last long.

eso76

Speevy said:
Just in case anyone is counting, Halo is a 10 hour game.

yeah, i know...i just irrationally started to be afraid i won't have enough, since i'm really liking what i'm seeing about this game now. I perfectly know that games lenght expressed in hours might differ greatly from the lenght you perceive.

I just finished Dead Rising (72hrs mode only) and it felt like it took me an incredible amount of time for a game that's supposed to last 3 hours (awesome, awesome game btw, loved every single bit).

Sugarman said:
Quote:
COG weapons

Locust weapons

I was hoping for something oer the top like the Flak Cannon or Shock Rifle, but that's what Unreal 2007 is for. ;)

I would love to see an acid weapons where you saw body parts dissolve in real time..but that's the freaky violence whore in me talking. :lol

Seriously, I can't wait for the day when I take off work and load this game into my XBox360. :D

Karg

Apharmd Battler said:
I was hoping for something oer the top like the Flak Cannon or Shock Rifle, but that's what Unreal 2007 is for. ;)

I would love to see an acid weapons where you saw body parts dissolve in real time..but that's the freaky violence whore in me talking. :lol

Seriously, I can't wait for the day when I take off work and load this game into my XBox360. :D

Wife will be out of town from the 6th-13th. Perfect timing to take a sick day or two for some Gears insanity. Awww can't wait.

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
That can be countered by the ways you move. You can lean out from the cover, disengage the cover and walk out, or do a dive/roll away. By mixing up the way you move from point to point you make yourself a much tougher target. People who just lean out, then hide, then lean out again like a jack-in-the-box won't last long.

yeah, it just seems that sniping will be easier then in halo. if you spot a guy run for cover, you have quite a good idea where his head will be if/when he pops out to shoot at someone else. i doubt it will be a balance effector or anything, just mentioning that due to the cover system, it seems to add a bit of an advantage to snipers.

i hate snipers

J-Rzez

It's prolly just me... but after watching that MP vid, I'm kinda-sorta looking more forward to the single-player co-op stuff... I dunno why either... maybe it's the cover system that allows you to be a sitting duck from the looks of things, or maybe the small number of players at a time... I'm not sure... :(

GhaleonEB

J-Rzez said:
It's prolly just me... but after watching that MP vid, I'm kinda-sorta looking more forward to the single-player co-op stuff... I dunno why either... maybe it's the cover system that allows you to be a sitting duck from the looks of things, or maybe the small number of players at a time... I'm not sure... :(
That video looked like it was 2 v 2. 4 v 4 will be a bit more exciting, I think. :p

That said, I think co-op is where it's at for me. That, and objective-based team games. I'm not a fan of DM style play.

SpokkX

ahoyle77 said:
Any word on what the online matchmaking will be like on this one? I haven't seen anything on it. Hopefully it will be similar to Halo 2 in some shape or form.

BTW, first post here after lurking for years.

halo style matchmaking would be amazing, but I don´t think we will see it before Halo 3 :(

REV 09

Mojovonio said:
Most, if not all arcade games do as well.
they're a little different, i think he is referring to both the party system and how that party relates to the matchmaking system. Saint's is the closest that i've seen to Halo 2, but still isn't quite as good. Plus Saint's lags pretty bad.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I don't know if this has been posted before it has sorry but here is a 2 minute vid of some gears multiplayer that was added in the user vids on gametrailers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=15282

It was weird seeing the guys outfit because some people in the comments were talking about being able to customize it but I think it looks goofy. lol also vid looks like its from an early build.

Not a Jellyfish said:
I don't know if this has been posted before it has sorry but here is a 2 minute vid of some gears multiplayer that was added in the user vids on gametrailers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=15282

It was weird seeing the guys outfit because some people in the comments were talking about being able to customize it but I think it looks goofy. lol also vid looks like its from an early build.

looks amazing but how many clips do you have to empty to kill th other guy ......i guess alot :D

Mojovonio

Banned
just read the EGM aritcle, here are some things that stood out most.

-curb stomping is brutal
-after depleting enemies life in MP, you have to finish them off and you get points for doing so.
-the mansion MP level is amazing
-get the boom shot
-allies can revivie you

the game just sounds incredibly fun in MP.

ahoyle77

I dont understand why every online game doesnt just copy the Halo 2 matchmaking. Oh well, I'll cross my fingers anyways. Gears looks amazing, so I'll adjust to whatever.

Any word on if EB will be doing a midnight sale for this? I've asked at the store but gotten the usual, dont know, dont care response so far.

goldenpp72

I think halo style match making combined with server scanning would be ideal, imagine being able to join in a game via a scan when some dumbass ditches in match making.

Top Bottom