• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gears of War remaster coming to Xbox One, sources say" (by Splash Damage)

This

Cannot wait for the gears remake. Just hoping they don't change anything gameplay wise. No need to mess with gaming perfection

Shotguns and gore baby!!!

He cover system could do with a tweak to be move like gears 3 cover system, gears 1 is quite janky compared I think

Will be interesting to see how they do it actually as gears 1,2 & 3 all felt very different

Edwardo

Ppl referencing MCC as a bad omen are really dumb. It's like saying you wouldn't buy a Lamborghini because the Porsche you bought last time was broke. The car dealer may be the same but the manufacturer is different so there is no point in foreshadowing...

That's a good point.

I only stopped playing Gears 1 like 2 years ago on 360. Gears 2 and 3 were ok in their own right but nothing compared to Gears 1 in terms of mechanics, character movement and steep skill curve(shotgun battles ********droooolll). Gears 2 and 3 never felt like true sequels to Gears 1, especially the multiplayer.

Needless to say I'm excited, this is a day one buy for me. Time to get Seriously again :D.

This

Cannot wait for the gears remake. Just hoping they don't change anything gameplay wise. No need to mess with gaming perfection

This would make sense if it was all on 343, but it wasn't. Microsoft rushed the product out to the market and made bad decisions. They have the final say over release date and how long the development of the game gets, so no, your analogy doesn't work in this instance at all. Microsoft controls the developers and decides when to release something, it was clear MCC wasn't ready yet they released it anyway.

So to all of those people who sceptical, stay sceptical.

This

I heard from my best friend that it's all the same. Only visuals are updates and matchmaking seems to be faster. :D

pizzacat

Banned
If you didn't want campaign DLC, better option at the time was to buy only 3rd and 4th DLC. 1st DLC(which was disk-locked content) maps were made free as a part of MP Booster Pack that had 2 additional maps, and 2nd DLC was campaign-only.

Season pass was 2400 MSP, 3rd and 4th DLC combined 1600 MSP.
That's fine, I remember and I don't regret buying it.

Curufinwe

They should fix the terrible checkpoints and braindead teammate AI in Gears 1. That game was a painful experience in single player.

Kssio_Aug

Day -1

Co-op GOW1 was a blast, mp as well got me over 300 hours of playtime...can't fuckin WAIT

Would be nice to have an added Horde mode as well tho...also keep it low on the price tag

If it's true that Gears 1 did not have TDM, there's a chance that they will be adding horde and other things, since they're testing TDM.

I heard from my best friend that it's all the same. Only visuals are updates and matchmaking seems to be faster. :D

It's not the same already if there's Team Deathmatch and a matchmaking system.

Matchmaking in gears 1? Elaborate.

That's exactly how he put it. I'll ask him later today. I know there's a lobby system in the original. He said "matchmaking" though. He also said "wow that was quick, I just texted you a minute ago and in the time it took for you to text me back I already found a match"

Edwardo

It's strange that Warzone or any team last man standing game mode isn't listed. Wasn't that pretty much the staple multiplayer mode for Gears 1?

If it's true that Gears 1 did not have TDM, there's a chance that they will be adding horde and other things, since they're testing TDM.

It's not the same already if there's Team Deathmatch and a matchmaking system.

He said he hoped they don't change anything gameplay wise. I wasn't wrong.

kevin1025

Banned
It's strange that Warzone or any team last man standing game mode isn't listed. Wasn't that pretty much the staple multiplayer mode for Gears 1?

Since it was a focused beta test, they probably aren't going to be included as options in the main menu. They likely will be in the final product, though.

I liked gears 1 multiplayer back in the day however it had a couple of game breaking problems for me. First of all it was incredibly laggy a good majority of the time, second shotgun was way OPed compared to the lancer and made even more OPed by the host.

If they boost the lancer to make it a viable weapon (like in gears 3), put this game on dedicated servers and add a good ranking/progression system this could be an incredible experience.

As for the single player, I had fun with all the single players in Gears of War but unlike a game like Halo I've never really had any sort of itch to replay them and a remastered version doesn't really appeal to me.

Kssio_Aug

He said he hoped they don't change anything gameplay wise. I wasn't wrong.

Ok I see! =)

I have not played Gears 2 and 3, but from what I remember of Gears 1 the gameplay was pretty damn good already. I guess additional new modes, 60fps and the visual upgrades may do the job just fine.

Now please! They need to allow co-op matchmaking, and dedicated servers!

angelic

Banned
Dedicated servers aren't a myth. They just aren't a cure all as they can't fix bad netcode and players with shit connections connecting to the servers. They help with host advantage and host migration you see on p2p

a few quoters too, i havent added them all.

i mean dedis are a myth in the console space (urgh, i said space). im a long time pc and console gamer (im an expert), so it drives me crazy when im promised deicated servers by every game before they come out, then you pick them up and its not true. ive said it before but the servers are turned on for matchmaking, so im sure they can be described as dedicated, but the games always run p2p. we were promised dedis for the last 2 cod games and theyre both p2p.

im a huge fan of gears, ive got all 3 versions in special editions, multi never got better for me than 4v4 gears 1, before party chat made xbox live unsociable, all teams speccing and chatting while playing fun games, sniper rifle 1 hit kill headshots, heads bursting like melons popping. I just dont trust another third party remake.

My last point...the artwork in MCC is horrible compared to the original, these 3rd party devs who choose to put their own textures in place of master devs own work, its like someone thinking they can repaint a picaisso themselves. Halo 1 and 2 remakes replaced the lovely original artwork with messed up colours and far too busy textures.

tl;dr i hope its great but i dont trust them.

jesu

a few quoters too, i havent added them all.

i mean dedis are a myth in the console space (urgh, i said space). im a long time pc and console gamer (im an expert), so it drives me crazy when im promised deicated servers by every game before they come out, then you pick them up and its not true. ive said it before but the servers are turned on for matchmaking, so im sure they can be described as dedicated, but the games always run p2p. we were promised dedis for the last 2 cod games and theyre both p2p.

im a huge fan of gears, ive got all 3 versions in special editions, multi never got better for me than 4v4 gears 1, before party chat made xbox live unsociable, all teams speccing and chatting while playing fun games, sniper rifle 1 hit kill headshots, heads bursting like melons popping. I just dont trust another third party remake.

My last point...the artwork in MCC is horrible compared to the original, these 3rd party devs who choose to put their own textures in place of master devs own work, its like someone thinking they can repaint a picaisso themselves. Halo 1 and 2 remakes replaced the lovely original artwork with messed up colours and far too busy textures.

tl;dr i hope its great but i dont trust them.

Is Titanfall P2P on the Xbox One?

This would make sense if it was all on 343, but it wasn't. Microsoft rushed the product out to the market and made bad decisions. They have the final say over release date and how long the development of the game gets, so no, your analogy doesn't work in this instance at all. Microsoft controls the developers and decides when to release something, it was clear MCC wasn't ready yet they released it anyway.

Why remain skeptical though? A Gears 1 remake is 1 game. Not 4 games running on 3 different engines with 4 different multiplayers. You dont see the difference?

angelic

Banned
Is Titanfall P2P on the Xbox One?

honestly i dont know. i do have it on my xbone and i like it, you see a lot of glitching in cams but the game seems solid (im on fibre), i think ive seen migration messages but i may be wrong.

I only stopped playing Gears 1 like 2 years ago on 360. Gears 2 and 3 were ok in their own right but nothing compared to Gears 1 in terms of mechanics, character movement and steep skill curve(shotgun battles ********droooolll). Gears 2 and 3 never felt like true sequels to Gears 1, especially the multiplayer.

Needless to say I'm excited, this is a day one buy for me. Time to get Seriously again :D.

For me the sequels took away a lot of the rock paper scissors aspect of the game and overly complicated them. I tried to like gears 2 and 3 but they don't come close to the way I felt about 1.

Bgamer90

Banned

Not really, no.

It's not dumb but the comparison isn't really great outside of it just being made because it's an exclusive remake of a multiplayer game.

Halo spans across two different consoles, with some games being HD and some not. Gears is on one console with all games in HD so I would assume that it would be easier to make a collection out of that than all of the Halo games. If this Gears remake is just one game (the first) though? Even easier.

I agree that MCC was rushed but MCC was the system's biggest exclusive last year. This Gears remake could easily get delayed if it needs to be -- the game would do well whenever it releases and the Xbox One has enough games outside of this remake to do well in the Fall.

If anything it would make far more sense to me to be worried about Halo 5 due to MCC than this Gears remake.

For me the sequels took away a lot of the rock paper scissors aspect of the game and overly complicated them. I tried to like gears 2 and 3 but they don't come close to the way I felt about 1.

I totally agree, they complicated things way too much. Also the player movement and mechanics changed drastically. You could feel the weight of your character in Gears 1, Gears 2 and 3 feels like your player is running on ice. Cartoony almost.

Matchmaking in gears 1? Elaborate.

I asked and he just used the wrong wording. There's still a lobby system. The process just moves more smoothly. I suppose finding lobbies is faster.

Theorry

what about COD ghosts and AW on xbone? i play both on ps4, well not AW any more as it sucks, but they were p2p

Activision "Dedicated servers"
Its a hybrid. Still think that is such bs still. I mean COD is one of the biggest MP games.
And they still get away with freaking p2p servers.

Ppl referencing MCC as a bad omen are really dumb. It's like saying you wouldn't buy a Lamborghini because the Porsche you bought last time was broke. The car dealer may be the same but the manufacturer is different so there is no point in foreshadowing...

yup, in mcc it was more than one mistake that put the game in that state....

Surely Black Tusk Studios dont want to put multi developers to work on it or even MS will rush the product to the point of being broken etc, etc.

I hope the devs over at Black Tusk used this experience to learn what made Gears, Gears and implement it in Gears 4 as opposed to this just being a quick money grab(which in essence is what remasters are).

Kssio_Aug

I'm just wondering if MS really intend to release Gears, Forza, Halo, Fable and Tomb Raider, all this year without new delays... specially giving the fact that there are other strong multiplatform games to be released for the second semester aswell.

I hope they do release them all tough! lol

Theorry

I'm just wondering if MS really intend to release Gears, Forza, Halo, Fable and Tomb Raider, all this year without new delays... specially giving the fact that there are other strong multiplatform games to be releasy for the second semester aswell.

They are all quite different games. So could work. :)

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
GOW was one of the main reasons why I got a 360...along with Halo...and was hooked. But them re-mastering GOW alone makes zero sense. GOW was good but GOW2 was a vast improvement and frankly still my favorite of the series...though GOW3 is no slouch. They be better off doing all three with a "Marcus Fenix Ultimate Set".

GOW2 would be a far better choice to remake for several reasons...all the MP modes, story is better, upgrade mechanics and the all important Horde mode was introduced. New weapons, the Meatshiled, planting grenades also made the game just more fun.

Kssio_Aug

They are all quite different games. So could work. :)

Yup! FPS, TPS, Racing, and 2 adventures (one of them F2P).

They may do it since Halo 5 is confirmed, Forza may have a new release next-year, Fable is almost out of the oven, and they may not want Tomb Raider near Uncharted and Quantum Break.

That will be a blast though.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Yay! More remakes of the same games I've already played!! Yaaaaay!

Hopefully this is a good remaster.

no maam

Banned
I'm just wondering if MS really intend to release Gears, Forza, Halo, Fable and Tomb Raider, all this year without new delays... specially giving the fact that there are other strong multiplatform games to be released for the second semester aswell.

I don't get. They need to space the games out. It's been dry since the holidays. I hope they delay something(not halo5 or forza 6) so I can enjoy the games. Has ms ever released an exclusive during the spring or summer?

Kssio_Aug

I don't get. They need to space the games out. It's been dry since the holidays. I hope they delay something(not halo5 or forza 6) so I can enjoy the games. Has ms ever released an exclusive during the spring or summer?

Thing is that they may have quite a bunch of titles for next year aswell, such as a new Forza (maybe Horizon 3), Scalebound, Quantum Break, and certainly something new. Maybe, but more unlikely, Gears of War 4 aswell.

But yeah, there are too many titles together, and Battlefront, MGSV and Mad Max.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yes, many times -- they just aren't usually really big "AAA" games. Quantum Break is already set for early 2016 though.

And speaking of Gears, Gears Judgment was an early 2013 game (which was a big sign that the Xbox One was coming later that year at the time).

Thing is that they may have quite a bunch of titles for next year aswell, such as a new Forza (maybe Horizon 3), Scalebound, Quantum Break, and certainly something new. Maybe, but more unlikely, Gears of War 4 aswell.

But yeah, there are too many titles together, and Battlefront, MGSV and Mad Max.

I don't know about Forza Horizon 3 (I could personally see the next Forza after Motorsport 6 being a new spinoff) but I could definitely see next year having Scalebound and Gears alongside Quantum Break.

My only issue with them only remaking the first one would be the lack of having a horde mode :/ unless they decided to add one. That'd be pretty cool.

Lobbies are great for pubs, but ranked should be matchmaking.

It's all the same really. Matchmaking doesn't work the way it's supposed to anyways.

I just wish they wouldn't let people in parties into the lobbies. Half the fun of gears was talking smack before the match and inbetween rounds.

Top Bottom