• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce GTX 1060 announced - July 19, 6GB, $249 MSRP/$299 Founder's

Damn you B&H but I'm sure everyone will be charging what they can while the fishing is good. Will Amazon and NewEgg ship to Canada? For a while, Amazon.com would only ship certain items and would refer to their Canadian site.

newegg won't and amazon like you said varies depending on the item

ZOONAMI

Not sure how anyone can come to this conclusion after the 1070 and 1080. This might be true globally for a variety of reasons, but in the US, prices > FE are the exception, not the norm.

The cheapest custom-cooled AIB card will probably be a blower for $249.99. The Gigabyte Windforce will probably be the cheapest open air card for $260-$270. The ACX 3.0 will probably be the next cheapest in the $265-$275 range. Most of the rest of the custom cooled cards with probably be $270-$290. The Strix, Gaming X, AMP Extreme, FTW and a couple others will probably be the only ones at or above Founder's pricing.

Not really. The cheapest 1070 has been the gigabyte at $399. Everything else is pretty much right around $450. Most 1080s are all pretty much right around $699, if they are even in stock anywhere.

Moofers

I just bought a PC from newegg after hanging on to my tower from 2009 and finally caving in.

i7-4790 3.6 GHz, 12GB DDR3, 8MB L3 Cache

I'm not super PC literate, but I usually know enough to skate by. My friend is telling me to make sure my motherboard is compatible with this, but I'm thinking it just uses a PCI Express slot, no? Is there anything special about this card that would keep it from working with the setup I linked to?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I just bought a PC from newegg after hanging on to my tower from 2009 and finally caving in.

I'm not super PC literate, but I usually know enough to skate by. My friend is telling me to make sure my motherboard is compatible with this, but I'm thinking it just uses a PCI Express slot, no? Is there anything special about this card that would keep it from working with the setup I linked to?

Mobo <-> GPU compabitility issues aren't a thing, haven't been for ten years or so. It's always PCI-X.
Just CPU<->mobo has to be checked. And PSU cables, but there's 2-dollar adapters for those.

Damn even if it wasn't that's a good deal. You can always get a $50 micro ATX board if need be. I mean I imagine it will have at least 1x PCI-E 3.0 slot based on the CPU, but I can't know for sure.

Megabat

Everything is compatible, but the power supply won't be enough. The wattage isn't a huge issue, but efficiency and stability aren't great. I'd recommend a Corsair CS450M or Rosewill G550. They're both solidly-built 80+ Gold units for around sixty bucks.

You'll also want to use a blower-style 1060.

Reallink

The power supply's going to be the issue if you have one. No name piece of shit 300W is going to be pushed to the limit on a 4790 and 1060. If you get black screen crashes/restarts/shutdowns under load that's the problem. It could work or it could not.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Not really. The cheapest 1070 has been the gigabyte at $399. Everything else is pretty much right around $450. Most 1080s are all pretty much right around $699, if they are even in stock anywhere.

Facts are facts:
1070's below $450:
  • $399 Gigabyte Windforce
  • $409 MSI Aero
  • $419 EVGA ACX 3.0
  • $429 EVGA SC
  • $429 Gigabyte G1
  • $429 MSI Armor
  • $439 MSI Gaming

1080's below $700
  • $619 EVGA ACX 3.0
  • $649 Gigabyte G1
  • $649 EVGA SC
  • $649 ASUS Turbo
  • $659 MSI Aero
  • $659 Zotac AMP!
  • $679 EVGA FTW
  • $679 MSI Armor

Moofers

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Its been helpful.

Mobo <-> GPU compabitility issues aren't a thing, haven't been for ten years or so. It's always PCI-X.
Just CPU<->mobo has to be checked. And PSU cables, but there's 2-dollar adapters for those.

Sorry, I don't know what mobo is. And PSU is power supply something?

Damn even if it wasn't that's a good deal. You can always get a $50 micro ATX board if need be. I mean I imagine it will have at least 1x PCI-E 3.0 slot based on the CPU, but I can't know for sure.

Yeah I think its good to go there. Thank you.

Everything is compatible, but the power supply won't be enough. The wattage isn't a huge issue, but efficiency and stability aren't great. I'd recommend a Corsair CS450M or Rosewill G550. They're both solidly-built 80+ Gold units for around sixty bucks.

You'll also want to use a blower-style 1060.

You lost me at 80+ Gold units. You're talking price maybe? Like they're
$80+ but can find them for $60? Thanks for naming specific models. That goes a long way for somebody like me who doesn't keep up with this stuff but once every five years or so.

The power supply's going to be the issue if you have one. No name piece of shit 300W is going to be pushed to the limit on a 4790 and 1060. If you get black screen crashes/restarts/shutdowns under load that's the problem. It could work or it could not.

Ok, so it sounds pretty unanimous that the power supply will need to be upgraded. Thank you again to everyone!

Oxn

Is it still good value for 1440p gaming?

Ideally.

480/1060 - 1080p
Fury X/1070 - 1440p
1080 - 1440p+

I think so.

I mean im using a gtx 780 on a 1440p monitor, and for most games on high settings with some options turned down i get adequate fps.

A 980 is what? Somewhere along the lines of 25-30% better, and then you get double the ram from a 1060, and i say its good enough.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it still good value for 1440p gaming?

PC is a moving feast. It depends on your definition of value, and your definition of 1440p gaming. 1440p max settings at high refresh rates? Probably not. 1440p at 60fps if you're willing to compromise a little at high rather than ultra settings? Probably yes.

For 'max settings at 60fps' which is an arbitrary yardstick but at least allows people to compare with their own preferences, it roughly lines up

1060 - 1080p
1070 - 1440p
1080 - 4k 30fps safely, 60fps in some games
1080ti/new titan - 4k 60fps probably.

Megabat

You lost me at 80+ Gold units. You're talking price maybe? Like they're
$80+ but can find them for $60? Thanks for naming specific models. That goes a long way for somebody like me who doesn't keep up with this stuff but once every five years or so.

Ok, so it sounds pretty unanimous that the power supply will need to be upgraded. Thank you again to everyone!

Sorry about that. 80 Plus is an efficiency certification. Certified units are, on average, at least eighty percent energy-efficient. Bronze, Gold, Platinum, and Titanium signal higher levels of efficiency.

There are good Bronze models, but plenty of bad ones, too. You should always look at reviews of individual models. As the criteria gets more stringent, the likelihood of getting a bad unit decreases.

dr_rus

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Pricing.jpg

http://videocardz.com/62049/nvidia-confirms-suggested-prices-for-geforce-gtx-1060

What this table does not say is the price of 3GB model. You probably didn&#8217;t hear too much about it yet, but I can tell you that this model should be available mid-August (~3 weeks after 1060 6GB goes official), and it should probably be even cheaper than 6GB version.

I can also tell you that NVIDIA already has another card in the making, which is GTX 1050.

Moofers

Sorry about that. 80 Plus is an efficiency certification. Certified units are, on average, at least eighty percent energy-efficient. Bronze, Gold, Platinum, and Titanium signal higher levels of efficiency.

There are good Bronze models, but plenty of bad ones, too. You should always look at reviews of individual models. As the criteria gets more stringent, the likelihood of getting a bad unit decreases.

Got it. That makes sense now. Thanks!

ZOONAMI

Facts are facts:
1070's below $450:
  • $409 MSI Aero
  • $419 EVGA ACX 3.0
  • $429 EVGA SC
  • $429 Gigabyte G1
  • $429 MSI Armor
  • $439 MSI Gaming

1080's below $700
  • $619 EVGA ACX 3.0
  • $649 Gigabyte G1
  • $649 EVGA SC
  • $649 ASUS Turbo
  • $659 MSI Aero
  • $659 Zotac AMP!
  • $679 EVGA FTW
  • $679 MSI Armor

That's assuming you can find them at those prices, and they're in stock. Retailers are marking everything up because there's barely any stock. Exception was the gigabyte. The evga acx has never actually been released. The sc is 439 at newegg and 449 at frys and microcenter. All of the 1080s have mark ups because stock is non existent.

Papacheeks

Banned
Facts are facts:
1070's below $450:
  • $409 MSI Aero
  • $419 EVGA ACX 3.0
  • $429 EVGA SC
  • $429 Gigabyte G1
  • $429 MSI Armor
  • $439 MSI Gaming

1080's below $700
  • $619 EVGA ACX 3.0
  • $649 Gigabyte G1
  • $649 EVGA SC
  • $649 ASUS Turbo
  • $659 MSI Aero
  • $659 Zotac AMP!
  • $679 EVGA FTW
  • $679 MSI Armor

None of those besides the $399 are close to MSRP. Which is 379 for non FE editions.

MSRP for 1080 not one of those outside of 619$ close to 599$ MSRP.

V_Arnold

92.000 huf? Some 970 units already go as low as 87-88.000 huf (so basically around 15eur cheaper than the 1060 suggested price).

How exactly does the 1060 compare to the 970 in 1080p?

Canklestank

Neo Member
That's assuming you can find them at those prices, and they're in stock. Retailers are marking everything up because there's barely any stock. Exception was the gigabyte. The evga acx has never actually been released. The sc is 439 at newegg and 449 at frys and microcenter. All of the 1080s have mark ups because stock is non existent.

Hold on, now we're moving the goal posts. People have bought cards below FE prices; Even eliminating the 1070 ACX 3, many G1's, Aero's, Armor's and MSI Gaming's have been sold. There's obviously supply issues. The 1060 isn't supposed to have the same kind of supply issues, but even if it does, all custom-cooled cards are not going to be $299 and up. The MSRP for all those cards is below Founder's Edition. If certain stores are marking up the price beyond that, don't buy from them?

None of those besides the $399 are close to MSRP. Which is 379 for non FE editions.

MSRP for 1080 not one of those outside of 619$ close to 599$ MSRP.

No one said anything about MSRP, but thanks for weighing in.

Reference $250
Dual fan $280
Strix $300

Likelihood of that being the price for these cards?

Dude look at the price over msrp has been for aib cards for every previous generation...

Generally something like an asus strix or msi gaming card is about 20 dollars/euros over reference price

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/

Is this some kind of aftermath of that founder edition premium marketing bullshit from nvidia? That people now think a decent cooler is expensive? It's not, it never has been.

It'll be the same as always:

-blowers/cheapest 2 fan aib coolers like from zotac or palit or w/e : msrp

-your average strix/windforce/gaming/acx aib cooler that 90 percent of people end up buying : msrp +20 dollars

-some of the fancier aib cards with high end pcbs and higher than average out of the box clockspeeds: msrp +30-50 dollars

-hybrid cards that have watercooling on them: msrp +50-100 dollars

-binned cards, specifically selected chips to be able to overclock higher like a kingpin edition : msrp + some crazy premium

Pretty much every single person itt buys the +20 dollar AIB cards because they give by far the best balance between cooling capability, noise and price.

That sapphire 2 fan AIB rx 480 that is coming out soon is one of those cards too, and shouldn't cost more than 20 dollars over the msrp at most.

jonno394

If I can find one for around £230 when Dead Rising 4 and Gears 4 come out, and it runs them extremely well at 1080p, then i'll likely get one of these at the end of the year :)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
wow, I guess AMD is doomed after all
Hate to agree... But I do.

I was dead set on a 480 but now I need to do some reading. I was planning on over clocking so the better over clocker might get my money.

Papacheeks

Banned
Hold on, now we're moving the goal posts. People have bought cards below FE prices; Even eliminating the 1070 ACX 3, many G1's, Aero's, Armor's and MSI Gaming's have been sold. There's obviously supply issues. The 1060 isn't supposed to have the same kind of supply issues, but even if it does, all custom-cooled cards are not going to be $299 and up. The MSRP for all those cards is below Founder's Edition. If certain stores are marking up the price beyond that, don't buy from them?

MSRP is in the title of this thread, and you were talking about prices of the 1070's and 1080's not being over priced, and most of the chatter on this is in reference to previous released cards and msrp.

No, but thank you for weighing in.

price-chart[/url]

That a really good price in Norway, putting very close to the RX480.

Would the GTX1060 fit/work in an Alienware x51 r3? I know the reference RX480 (blower) does. And I know the 970 will work as well, as it can be specced with it.
It has a 330W PSU.

I'm planning on getting one of these cards as an upgrade from an R9 370 4GB.

RootCause

Dude look at the price over msrp has been for aib cards for every previous generation

Generally something like an asus strix or msi gaming card is about 20 dollars/euros over reference price

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/
zy
I'm asking because I'm confused.
From what I've read, you're correct about them being $20-30 premium.

How is asus going to price them?

Reference $250
Dual fan $250(?)
Strix $270

ZOONAMI

The 1070 and 1080 is a paper launch with very little stock available, and nothing is close to nvidia's msrp outside of the gigabyte or something with a shit plastic blower. Nvidias proclaimed Msrp is obviously what we are all talking about. Nvidia is mucking shit up by effectively having 2 msrps, so then aibs are targeting in between or the upper msrp, as they should as their cards are generally superior to the founders. Not sure what you're on about. The aib 1060s will generally be more than $250, and I'd expect even a couple to be more than $300.

I'm asking because I'm confused.
From what I've read, you're correct about them being $20-30 premium.

How is asus going to price them?

Reference $250
Dual fan $250(?)
Strix $270

It wasn't aimed specifically at you, I just see a ton of people who now fear that a decent cooler will cost 50 dollars more than a blower for some reason. Nvidia really pulled the wool over people's eyes with their premium founders edition bullshit:p

It's very likely that some of the cheaper dual fan cards (zotac, palit or w/e) will be at or within a few dollars of msrp.
And yes a strix should be no more than 270 dollars logically.

Nothing is different about this gen than previous gens as far as coolers go.

As always, if supply is bad then for the first week or weeks the retailers or distributors may try to gouge with prices. That's always a risk with a new gpu launch. In that case the best thing you can do is just wait it out and let prices settle, rather than reward these opportunistic gougers. But that doesn't really have anything to do with what cooler the card has on it.

Tabasco

I'm wondering how long I should keep my 960 before upgrading.

The 1060 seems more like my ideal card, since some games don't get 60fps. It also only has 2GB vram, so I could possibly benefit from more of it.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hmm will this have performance on par with the 980 or will it be a bit better? Would it be side grade if I bought this instead of a 1070 to replace my 970?

wachie

Hmm will this have performance on par with the 980 or will it be a bit better? Would it be side grade if I bought this instead of a 1070 to replace my 970?
EDIT - Yes, almost a side grade.

Go for the 1070, it'll be a tangible upgrade over this.

Black_Red

I'm scared about the stock, I mean, there were rumours that the launch was going to be in september, but it was pushed to july to stop the 480's momentum, if that is true then probably there wont be enough stock for a while =( (I'm hoping to buy this during August in South america).

Skenzin

Banned
This is a great deal. My 960 was a 1080p monster aside from limited ram for ultra textures. Upgrading from a 960 to a 1080 was surprising not that big of a jump in game performance. I could 1) Finally run my monitors 1440p native resolution in games, scaling was blurry. 2) bump everything to ULTRA, which surprisingly has diminished returns aside from texture resolution. 3) never worry about frame rate.

Canklestank

Neo Member
MSRP is in the title of this thread, and you were talking about prices of the 1070's and 1080's not being over priced, and most of the chatter on this is in reference to previous released cards and msrp.

Nope. I would never say the 1070 and 1080 aren't over-priced because I believe they are. My original post was a reply to a post saying that the cheapest custom-cooled card would be $300, which is Founder's price,. I thought that was an absurd prediction based on how the AIB's priced their 1070 and 1080 models. Context is everything. Do you disagree with me that there will be custom cooled AIB 1060 cards < $300?

The 1070 and 1080 is a paper launch with very little stock available, and nothing is close to nvidia's msrp outside of the gigabyte or something with a shit plastic blower. Nvidias proclaimed Msrp is obviously what we are all talking about. Nvidia is mucking shit up by effectively having 2 msrps, so then aibs are targeting in between or the upper msrp, as they should as their cards are generally superior to the founders. Not sure what you're on about. The aib 1060s will generally be more than $250, and I'd expect even a couple to be more than $300.

I agree with all of that, other than the "MSRP is obviously what we are all talking about" part. You disagreed with my post, which was a reply to this:

Custom cards are 'from $250' so in reality that means $300 for the cheapest custom cooler partner card with availability around August.

So I provided a list of 1070 and 1080 cards that are priced less than the Founder's cards.

The only reason I expect there to be a MSRP AIB card this time is the Nvidia exclusivity (and maybe limited time availability) of the Founder's card. $50 is also a smaller pricing window than the other cards. Regardless, I expect most of the AIB cards to be under $300.

Canklestank

Neo Member
What about 1920 x 1200? Am I going to be stretching the 480 or 1060? I really don't think I can spring for the more expensive cards.

The 480 and 1060 will be fine at 1920 x 1200. They're not limited to 1080p, they're perfectly capable of playing games at 1440p. But at 1080p (and 1920 x 1200) they can play most games on Ultra at >60fps and will be able to for a while.

wachie

What about 1920 x 1200? Am I going to be stretching the 480 or 1060? I really don't think I can spring for the more expensive cards.
Wait for the benchmarks.

Typically Nvidia equivalent cards do worse in higher resolutions but in this match up the 1060 will have more ROPs. I'd say highly likely that the 1060 will do better than the 480 in higher resolutions also but safe to wait for confirmation with the benchmarks.

EDIT - I meant this post for 1080+ resolutions

Chris R

I'm getting a 1080, but I can't wait for the 1060 vs 480 benches to see which card is the one I suggest to everyone else.

Moofers

Back with another newbie question here:

The specs for this card say "Boost Clock 1.7GHz".

What is this stat and how does it work? If my i7 processor (with no graphics card other than the onboard chip) clocks in at 3.6GHz do I then add the 1.7GHz from this card to say my PC runs at 5.3GHz? Is that how that works?

Oxn

Back with another newbie question here:

The specs for this card say "Boost Clock 1.7GHz".

What is this stat and how does it work? If my i7 processor (with no graphics card other than the onboard chip) clocks in at 3.6GHz do I then add the 1.7GHz from this card to say my PC runs at 5.3GHz? Is that how that works?

LOL. Im sorry man.... I cant, i just cant.

Top Bottom