• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

If true

While $499 isn't inherently bad for what its supposed to be, there's a couple problems with that price.

>PS4pro is $399 (probably cheaper come E3 with Scorpio announced) and while its not as powerful it is the leading console so it doesn't need much to keep the huge lead PS4 has.
>Microsoft if they want Scorpio to make a difference need something to blow people away that price is still $100 higher then the competition with more people playing.
>Finally what I mentioned above with Sony likely cutting the price even if its like to $379 make it over $100. People will see the $300 not go well its still basically $400

I mean I'm still interested in seeing what it will be though as it could be cool. Owning a PC I don't have much use for a Xbox
Unless they keep Halo Xbox exclusive...
Please let Halo 6 be good unlike 5...

If they had the PS4 lineup of games then I could see 500 bucks. With the dearth of content on the horizon and the lackluster current offerings it isn't looking good. I mean the beginning of this year was madness for PS4. It's been a ghost town for XBox One.

The top two come from an APU that is about the same size as the pro at the same process size. The only real cost impact is the 50% more ram and more complex motherboard for the faster/wider bus.

People have mentioned ram prices firming up over the last year so maybe that forces their hand but $100 seems too much

Don't forget the state of the art cooling solution.

Otnopolit

Again, I also refuse to believe Geoff would just spit out a number without certainty that it's true. It's probably going to be valued and worth at $499, but I can see why you're all worried about it selling at that number. Consoles don't move well past $400.

jdmonmou

Yep.

If 499 is a lot for you, this console wasn't built for you. Simple as that.

It's a premium console. Always has been.

We get that point. I think a lot of people are struggling to understand why so much hype was put on the Scorpio to begin with if this was never meant to take over the Xbox line. They've been building hype for this thing for over a year and saying this is the console they built by listening to the gamers. Scorpio is the only thing I think Xbox execs were talking about rather than new games for customers that already bought an Xbox One. MS can't just point out that this is a premium console and point towards an Xbox One S when there's backlash over the price.

newbong95

So, let me get this straight...

people in here actually think that

- 10% more CPU Power
- 50% more GPU Power
- 50% more RAM
- 50% more Bandwidth
- UHD Blu-ray instead of a regular Drive

in comparison to a PS4 Pro will come at no extra cost whatsoever?

And a year late ?

If Scorpio really is $499 at launch I expect it basically DOA after the first couple months when the hardcore pick it up. Crazy high price point compared to the competition and no where near enough exclusive content to carry it. 

Terrible move by MS imo

kadotsu

Banned
Do consoles drop price by $100 every year?

Guys, i would be absolutely shocked if Geoff agreed to destroy his credibility so MS can have a slightly surprised audience at an E3 announcement.

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that the Pro's specs cost as much to manufacture on launch as the Scorpio does now.

I have said it before, there is no way Microsoft can charge $499 for this. They will be pricing themselves out of the market. They cannot charge $499 and remain competitive against the PS4 Pro, especially since Sony would be in a unique position to drop the Pro by $50 leaving a $150 gap between the two consoles.

Ghostage

I expected 450 but i guess 50 more isn't that big of a deal.
Keighley just saved this forum from a shock during the press conference.

Mrbob

I don't understand the logic of Microsoft asking him to say $499.

I also, don't get why he'd leak that info so close to reveal.

Something seems odd about this.
I agree with this. Bad look for Geoff if Scorpio is not 499. He'll seem like part of the MS marketing arm.

Hawk269

Maybe Geoff is 100% accurate and it is $499.99. But, what "IF" that is for the 2TB version of the system? When the Xbox One S came out. the launch edition which had a 2TB HDD was $399.99. Perhaps this $499.99 is the 2TB version of Scorpio and the 1TB version will be $399.99???

It is possible and Geoff would still be accurate.

Tarahiro

It would be great if it was cheaper but this is the minimum price I expected. They have been calling it 'premium' for ages.

Pachimari

My guess is that PC gamers won't have to jump ship at all, because MS will introduce the "Xbox 10 S" for PC which will allow every PC owner to get the full Xbox One experience. In that scenario MS would allow third party hardware manufacturers to build their own Xbox 10 S" boxes with different videocard specifications. That way MS can compete with both Steam and Playstation at the same time and it will boost the use of the Windows store, Universal Windows Applications and Windows 10. MS could even compete with the Nintendo Switch if a third party would develop a portable Xbox compatible device.
I really don't this is the strategy with the Scorpio.

Fracas

#fuckonami
People in this thread really believe MS would collude with Geoff (putting his name on the line) to throw people off. And create a negative narrative 6 hours before their presentation?

Hand in your tinfoil hats.

The mental gymnastics on display in this thread deserves a gold medal

Boggles my mind how many gaffers want to go to bat for a video game company

Champion

To be fair, we'd like to think that Geoff Keighley wouldn't be making such a weighty claim in public without some sort of official confirmation from Microsoft.

I refuse to believe that they need to "test the waters" and "gauge reaction" for a $500 price tag. They have to know it's going to cause a negative reaction without needing any testing.
Spencer himself has already said something along the lines of it being priced high and look at the specs. And you should look at the gaffers that have these 'negative reactions' because most were going to find something to complain about per usual.

But I'll let y'all cook though

Adam Blue

Once again this is a premium Xbox, expect a premium price. If you want a cheap Xbox then go for a slim.

But I think MS wants more than a premium console. As stated above, they want a reason for consumers to jump to the Xbox ecosystem. Maybe they are willing to sell at a loss like the OG and bet on subs? Live, game pass.

farisr

Conspiracy theory: I feel this is a controlled leak by MS for two possible reasons:

1) To set the expectations, due to them not expecting $399 speculation to become rampant by that below $400 build a robot magazine cover that was nothing more than coincidence.

2) To set higher expectations and create some more hype for the actual lower price is announced.

Either way, I don't believe Geoff is lying, this is legitimately based on the info he's getting.

TheMan

So let's say the tech justifies the price. MS better announce some games that justify the tech at E3, cause so far I don't think we have any.

DNAbro

I'm expecting a Pro price drop at Sony's conference. That could be the nail in the coffin.

Please prove me wrong and sell this beast for $399.99 and I'm in.

I've been seeing a lot of this. Why do people think they are going to price drop the Pro? There isn't a need to yet. Higher end consumers are the ones picking that up and they most likely want to get as much money out of them as they can.

JABEE

If Scorpio isn't a mass market console, what is its strategic goal?

Is it a way of rebranding Microsoft as the powerful box that doesn't sell like the PS3?

Even the Pro can't compete with the PS4 slim. Games are launching with negligible Pro Enhancements, etc. This is coming from the market leader.

Eliseo

If the can deliver quality software along with those specs, $500 seems reasonable.It's a premium product for god's sake.

univbee

Even crazier:

WgLIDbO.png

Imagine releasing a console today at 699+ USD...

They did if you go way back, $599 in 2006 is still further down the list of high console prices than you'd think, factoring in inflation.

c2jMCUZ.png

The Atari 2600 and Intellivision were each considerably more expensive. Think about that.

Alexm92

Lol good luck with that price Microsoft. Although this leak is probably just to see what peoples reaction is before the they actually announce it at the presser.

big fake

Geoff you never leak anything, especially a console price. It's less than 12 hours before conference.... you clearly aren't being truthful.

I find it hard pill to swallow that Microsoft is going to take the dumb pricing route again. 450 is highest we should be willing to go.

So, let me get this straight...

people in here actually think that

- 10% more CPU Power
- 50% more GPU Power
- 50% more RAM
- 50% more Bandwidth
- UHD Blu-ray instead of a regular Drive

in comparison to a PS4 Pro will come at no extra cost whatsoever?

A year later and from a company who wants to make a splash? Yeah.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't understand the logic of Microsoft asking him to say $499.

I also, don't get why he'd leak that info so close to reveal.

Something seems odd about this.

Maybe they gave him permission to get the bad news out of the way because they have good content for the conference and don't want it to get ignored/overshadowed. Only thing that makes sense to me. Geoff wouldn't put out false info on something concrete like price but he also wouldn't do it if he thought it would really hurt a major industry relationship of his.

Wereroku

I expected $450 but with the work they have put into it 499 isn't insane like it was with XBO original. It will be hard to get moving with that price point even if they bundle it to hell. Hopefully they were reduce it pretty quickly and just going the full price for the initial upgraders.

Consoles sell at $400, no matter how good they are. That's just the way it is. You convince people to jump in the ecosystem and then make money on software and subscriptions. At $499 they will just sell to a couple of million core Xbox fans and that's it. And those already own an XB1 so no gains in software sale there. It doesn't make sense.

The price can of course come down in the following years. But people don't wait, they just buy a PS4 Pro instead.

FinalAres

This was so obvious. When I saw that thing yesterday which suggested a price of $399 I was shocked and impressed. Impressed because it showed MS realised that anything over $450 would be DOA, and that they weren't just using 'Premium' as code for expensive. And shocked because to price it sensibly was so not like Microsoft.

So if it's $499 it'll be disappointing but totally in line with MS and how they do business.

Conspiracy theory: I feel this is a controlled leak by MS for two possible reasons:

1) To set the expectations, due to them not expecting $399 speculation to become rampant by that below $400 build a robot magazine cover that was nothing more than coincidence.

2) To set higher expectations and create some more hype for the actual lower price is announced.
You don't set a controlled leak that gets a negative reaction, only to then put the worries you created in the first place at ease in your presentation. That makes no sense for marketing.

Top Bottom