• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

If Scorpio isn't a mass market console, what is its strategic goal?

Is it a way of rebranding Microsoft as the powerful box that doesn't sell like the PS3?

Even the Pro can't compete with the PS4 slim. Games are launching with negligible Pro Enhancements, etc. This is coming from the market leader.

Getting the hard core gamer to spend money on digital services on Xbox instead of PS is the goal. It's a fight over the customer that buys 20 games a year while understanding the fight over the gamer who buys 2 games a year may be lost.

gamerMan

So, let me get this straight...

people in here actually think that

- 10% more CPU Power
- 50% more GPU Power
- 50% more RAM
- 50% more Bandwidth
- UHD Blu-ray instead of a regular Drive

in comparison to a PS4 Pro will come at no extra cost whatsoever?

Who cares about that? Anybody can build a more powerful box. It's Microsoft's job to build a powerful box at an affordable price. I can build a more powerful box than the Xbox Scopio and price it at$1000. But what's the point?

$499 is a niche price and would make more sense for a new generational console instead of transitional console. Sure people on Gaf are going to get it but nobody else will. This is going to have to compete with the products already on the market. Who is going to pay that price when it 2 years we'll already have a new generation? Makes no sense.

9f9100f5b90b93071440ad30509d3a2300690192c6a3e09995d5ccf127739a15.jpg

This is a marketing stunt.

- 10% more CPU Power
- 50% more GPU Power
- 50% more RAM
- 50% more Bandwidth

Pro is sold at a profit from day one. The extra CPU and GPU power comes from a higher clock, not a bigger chip.

It is possible, especially if Ms is willing to take a small hit to deliver this box for $399

Buying a 1080ti with that money is such a better deal. And since all of MS's exclusives are on PC anyway you won't be missing anything by not buying a Scorpio.

With that pricetag, they are not going to turn around the game with power alone. They need to have a crazy lineup of games and services and bundle those with Scorpio from scratch.

Otherwise Sony will counter with a 349€ bundle tomorrow and it will have a time as hard as its predecessor.

We get that point. I think a lot of people are struggling to understand why so much hype was put on the Scorpio to begin with if this was never meant to take over the Xbox line. They've been building hype for this thing for over a year and saying this is the console they built by listening to the gamers. Scorpio is the only thing I think Xbox execs were talking about rather than new games for customers that already bought an Xbox One. MS can't just point out that this is a premium console and point towards an Xbox One S when there's backlash over the price.

This post is spot on. All of us, if not the majority of us though Scorpio would be relaunch of the Xbox brand and used to compete and take on Sony and it's PlayStation. Deliver solid software on a souped up machine at a price that moves consoles. It's just $100 but optically it just doesn't work. Consoles don't sell at $499. Ask MS at the beginning of this gen. Ask Ken, last gen.

Again, I also refuse to believe Geoff would just spit out a number without certainty that it's true. It's probably going to be valued and worth at $499, but I can see why you're all worried about it selling at that number. Consoles don't move well past $400.

He basically says 'unless something changes today'...

Its 399, above 399 is suicide

Also is it REALLY a mic drop moment if it's announced at $400?

I mean it's either going to be that, $450 or $500. a mic drop would be $350

Well, spec for spec, $400 would be a big win going against PS4 Pro for the same price (though I would expect Sony to drop the Pro price in response).

Really, the Mic drop of the gen has been the E3 that Xbox One and PS4 was announced and Sony took a shot at the DRM policies being proposed by MS AND then came in $100 cheaper than Xbox One with the more powerful, spec for spec, system.

I really cant think of another Mic drop moment that would happen this gen hardware/price wise. Even if MS matches PS4 Pro price, Pro has been out a year already and probably has enough margin to drop in price in response. Unless MS goes "Scorpio at $300" which would then be a big impact to Sony in my opinion. Sony would either have to move the Pro to the same price but lose the spec for dollar argument OR drop lower and basically make all PS4's PS4 Pros and eat the loses.

*shrugs* what do I know though, I am just armchairing this.

It's like people forgot the Xbox one launched at $499 and still sold close to 1 million consoles its opening month in the US. That was also with being a weaker console to the competition. Now it's the strongest. I don't really see the problem, even though I hoped for Scorpio to be $399 myself.

But the Xbox One was marketed as a new console generation. A completely new experience. The Scorprio is not a next gen console and most of it's extra performance is going to be wasted on higher resolution outputs. The average joe will not pay double the money for a sharper image quality on their shitty $300 TV. You need a proper 4K HDR display to even appreciate the differences. Something that most people don't have.

nashman

"I can now say with confidence 499" = confirmed by multiple sources 499. Jeff ain't some hack looking for clicks, he's putting his professional reputation on the line with a tweet like that.

The 399 dream is dead.

madmackem

Wow I dipped my toe in on that thread on twitter, the place is a minefield for timdog level nutters. Getting blasted saying the cpu is some sort of super new not available anywhere else special made by ms and amd and blows the cpu in pro out the water. It's the new secret sauce.

Chris1

He basically says 'unless something changes today'...

Its 399, above 399 is suicide

Yeah he's just preemtive damage controlling himself there. If he REALLY thought it was $499, he's not gonna say "unleses something changes today". Prices don't change in the matter of hours and ESPECIALLY not by $100

Perfect price point to me. When did gaf become so cheap?

Seriously? GAF is not the target audience, nor are we the reason consoles sell millions. We are a drop in the bucket, and the buck in the bucket is going to decide the sale.

Can't wait for people making PS3 $499 US DOLLARS Joke.

When next generation is two years away, I'm sure some folks can wait and spend $499 there instead of here. Don't blame GAF for Microsoft's shortcomings this gen. This is their catch up, and it's not well priced when PS4 is printing money.

New002

That's what I've been expecting from the start, so I'm not floored by it. That number is gonna piss off a lot of people though. Hmm...good luck to MS if that's the final number.

Oh boy, with the Pro the price it is and the Switch taking off, I hope for their sake something, "does change today", because damn is that gonna be a hard sell.

Poor poor Canadians :( whats that nearly $700 CAD inc tax? yuk

if thats the price, no longer day 1 for me sadly :( will still buy eventually but not this year

ActWan

IF this is real, it's kinda baffling. It's like they didn't learn anything from the One launch.
Expecting a big failure at 500$.

Starfield

It's either 499 and people will go like "meh" or "knew it" over the price or it's gonna be announced to be 399 and meltdowns on The 100 level gonna happen

Calm Mind

- 10% more CPU Power
- 50% more GPU Power
- 50% more RAM
- 50% more Bandwidth

The Pro ain't even worth $400.

UHD is already in the readily available and cheaper than the Pro, Xbox One S.

Elbereth

Interesting...

If true, then Microsoft will continue this generation on the negative side of PR. Also considering the fact that Sony E3 presser is tomorrow...

If false, then well played. The $399 price point will be good for the hardcore that were going to purchase it regardless of the price, and good for those that are on the fence.

Garjon

There's a difference between what they or you want and what hardware components + R&D cost in order to stay somewhat profitable.

I explained this in my earlier post. MS have shown that they are willing to take a hit in order to get improved mindshare and profit in the long run, unlike Sony and Nintendo who are much more dependent on getting into the black as soon as possible.

Who the heck ever thought it could be $400 with the specs they put in? Not just The insanely powerful specs, but design/development costs also. They couldn't sell that at 400 without taking a serious loss for each one. I'd seriously consider taking a bet that 500 would be selling at or within a few dollars of cost.

xrnzaaas

400 is impossible imo for the kind of tech it will offer. Microsoft would have to gain no profit or even lose money on each sold Scorpio to make that happen.

They pretty much backed themselves into a corner when they announced an uber console instead of a reasonable upgrade like Sony did with the Pro.

MS has been releasing expensive hardware for a while 499USD doesn't sound crazy at all.

However anymore than £449 and I'll have to skip and probably invest in a gaming PC.

Tankard

You don't set a controlled leak that gets a negative reaction, only to then put the worries you created in the first place at ease in your presentation. That makes no sense for marketing.

Of course you do when you feel it might soften the blow. No matter what they show at the conference, the talk was going to be the price, it's still going to be talked a lot if that is indeed the price, but they might be trying to adjust the expectations a little before.

Top Bottom