• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

Mauddib

Banned
How has it fucked you over? Who is forcing you to buy Scorpio? Nobody.

It's not about outright forcing. They sucked me into the ecosystem. I've invested hundreds of dollars on their main franchises that I want to continue playing. And they're making it harder and harder for me to want to keep purchasing their stuff.

Asmodai48

A 6TF machine for 499 is a fucking steal. Only a GTX 1080 (which is 6TF) is 450.

Expecting less than 499 is not knowing how this works.

"But ps4 pro is 399"

That is 4TF, not 6. Scorpio was going to be more expensive since the very beginning.

So much wrong in here rofl.

OewVKdU.png

cucuchu

I will still most likely buy this...if I trade in my PSVR and launch Xbox one, that is a bit over half the cost.

Wonder when they will unleash this thing. I could see it dropping sometime late August.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
"Today we're revealing Project Scorpio. Project Scorpio is a premium addition to the Xbox line and will be priced accordingly."

I bet this means $399.

"Well keep in mind that the Scorpio is a premium product."

I bet they're just saying all this so they can surprise us at E3 with $399.

"$50 off the Xbox One S starting June 11th!"

Ah yes, XB1S at $199, Scorpio at $399, it all makes sense.

"I am confident that Microsoft will announce $499 at E3 today. They are rehearsing with that price right now. It is the price."

Maybe they're just throwing everyone off with a $499 price so we can be super extra pumped when the real $399 price is revealed in a few hours.

"And here it is, Xbox Scorpio! It will retail this holiday season for..."

I just realized something. What if it's $349?!

A 6TF machine for 499 is a fucking steal. Only a GTX 1080 (which is 6TF) is 450.

"But ps4 pro is 399"

That is 4TF, not 6. Scorpio was going to be more expensive since the very beginning.

You might be right, but the amount of consumers that agree with you might be minimal, and that's what really matters at the end of the day.

We've been down this road with launch PS3.

It's not about outright forcing. They sucked me into the ecosystem. I've invested hundreds of dollars on their main franchises that I want to continue playing. And they're making it harder and harder for me to want to keep purchasing their stuff.

What are you talking about? You know original Xbox one will continue to work alongside Scorpio?

Curufinwe

Honestly, for me, his respect and credibility will be bellow 0 if he turns out to be right, or even if he is wrong but thought it was actually leaking something.

It's just a shitty thing to do if he found out about the price hours before the conference and blew any chance Ms had to even trying to justify that price if it really is, something that someone is his position should be fully aware.

Geoff doesn't work for MS, or have strong personal feelings of attachment for them like you do.

flozuki

Hmm, it is not like they always drop the price immensely after a few weeks... at least in Europe. I will be patient this time.

I don't understand what people expected, do any of you even understand what they are going for here and how hard that would be at 399?

Unrealistic AF

Trace

Banned

"But ps4 pro is 399"

You're misinterpreting TF as being equal between Nvidia and AMD like people unfamiliar with the situation always do. A GTX 1080 is significantly more powerful than Scorpio is.

Honestly, for me, his respect and credibility will be bellow 0 if he turns out to be right, or even if he is wrong but thought it was actually leaking something.

It's just a shitty thing to do if he found out about the price hours before the conference and blew any chance Ms had to even trying to justify that price if it really is, something that someone is his position should be fully aware.

They already justified the price by having a 1.8TF stronger gpu, 4 more gigs of ram, a UHD drive, and a faster hard drive.

Piggus

"But ps4 pro is 399"

Haha. No.

A stock GTX 1080 is 9.2 TF, but it's calculated differently with Nvidia. A 1080, if you adjust for real world performance, is more like 11 or 12 TF in "AMD flops."

Thanks. Just curious if anyone like Schreier had heard anything.

Schreier reacted to Keighley's tweet and it seemed like it was the first he had heard of it, but he was kinda "yeeeesh".

Geoff seemed to suggest he heard the price from a source during a rehersal, so unless MS are being weirdly theatrical with fake leaks...I don't know why anyone would expect the console to be less than $499, esp if it has to fulfill all the goals MS want.

Seems like a work. I doubt Geoff would leak anything cosidering his professional credibility would be ruined. It really feels like a swerve to make the $399 price even more appealing.

Well yes, they are direct competitors, if Sony releases a more powerful console, they also have to do it. They need to stay relevant.
And you think that 500$ is good when the direct competition is 100$ less (they might even announce a price drop)? No. The Scorpio needs to have a market, an objective - you don't just launch it because you have to stay relevant. Especially a console like this.

QuikNez

I've lost all respect for Geoff. Also, I would t be surprised if this ended up in legal action.

Some very poor choices being made.

KageMaru

You might be right, but the amount of consumers that agree with you might be minimal, and that's what really matters at the end of the day.

We've been down this road with launch PS3.

Sony, like MS at the start of this gen, didn't have a cheaper option to offer those consumers.

Lister

Banned
Are you counting the Windows license in that price? Also case, input devices? (I'm excluding monitor). Seriously, post a PCpartspicker build or something if it's doable, I'd probably get such a PC.

To beat a pro you need a 1050ti which you overclock and an i3... or a 1060 with an Intel g4560. That's doable including windows liscence, and leaves room for in upgrade in the future.

Duxxy3

Honestly $499 would save me a lot of money this generation. I'd be completely done with hardware purchases for a few years. Just stick with what I have now :)

jaaz

Seems like a work. I doubt Geoff would leak anything cosidering his professional credibility would be ruined. It really feels like a swerve to make the $399 price even more appealing.

What? As opposed to his personal credibility not being ruined by being used by MS to make the price more appealing?

Top Bottom