• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

AZ Greg

Anyone saying Geoff is in on some marketing move with MS to make for a shocking 399 moment should be banned when it's announced at 499.

It's no different than making unsubstantiated viral marketer claims user to user.._

It's no excuse , you can't afford it you don't buy it. Simple as that . You want low entry get the S.

Stop making excuses if you can't afford it.

Although yes, sometimes we use that excuse if we can't afford a certain console/game, saying it's not worth it, etc. But here we're talking about its mass appeal and what it means for the Xbox brand. All preferences aside, it really doesn't feel like it will change the current balance between the big brands and provide much benefits for the majority of gamers.

"No one man should have all that power."

Because they can't afford it

Is $499 really that unaffordable? MS have never once pitched this as anything other than premium, and it's actually not bad value for money if it does what they say it does. A PC comparable by gaming performance would be twice that.

There is a market for 'premium' gaming, and there is a gap between console and PC that MS and Sony are both trying to fill, and where Valve failed with Steam Machines. They know there are people out there who would like some of the advantages of PC gaming, but don't want to buy, or build, a gaming PC for reasons including cost. Scorpio is aimed at the guy considering spending $800 dollars on a mid-range gaming PC, as much as the console buyer. If you're a console player thinking of building a PC with 1060/580 class gpu, Scorpio isn't a bad shout.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don' believe it's going to be $499. I mean, it could be, but I just don't think it will. I haven't planned on buying a Scorpio, but I can't see Microsoft making the same mistake with Scorpio pricing as original Xbox ONE pricing. Not this late in the game.

It's not about outright forcing. They sucked me into the ecosystem. I've invested hundreds of dollars on their main franchises that I want to continue playing. And they're making it harder and harder for me to want to keep purchasing their stuff.

Wait. So you already have an Xbox One? What's the problem then?

Chris R

$499 is what I expected

Hoping it's true, it means the machine is a BEAST and that Microsoft thinks that the value offered is there to price it above the Pro.

Win fucking Win for EVERYONE.

Tookay

Honestly, for me, his respect and credibility will be bellow 0 if he turns out to be right, or even if he is wrong but thought it was actually leaking something.

It's just a shitty thing to do if he found out about the price hours before the conference and blew any chance Ms had to even trying to justify that price if it really is, something that someone is his position should be fully aware.

Yeah, how dare journalists tell us stuff they learn, instead of sticking to a corporation's marketing strategy.

This thing is DEAD in Canada.

We have a system for you in Canada.

FiAOWc4.png

badb0y

A 6TF machine for 499 is a fucking steal. Only a GTX 1080 (which is 6TF) is 450.

Expecting less than 499 is not knowing how this works.

"But ps4 pro is 399"

That is 4TF, not 6. Scorpio was going to be more expensive since the very beginning.
It's actually a RX 580 not a GTX 1080 that you should be comparing it to, comparing teraflops between vendors is not a good way to measure performance. I think the RX 580 and Scorpio have the same GPU and that would put it at GTX 1060 level.

jeffram

I bet this means $399.

I bet they're just saying all this so they can surprise us at E3 with $399.

Ah yes, XB1S at $199, Scorpio at $399, it all makes sense.

Maybe they're just throwing everyone off with a $499 price so we can be super extra pumped when the real $399 price is revealed in a few hours.

I just realized something. What if it's $349?!
jeff gerstman said in the latest bombast that he hopes Microsoft prices it at $349

I've lost all respect for Geoff. Also, I would t be surprised if this ended up in legal action.

Some very poor choices being made.

This post being one of them.

Why would you lose all respect for him? Do you lose all respect for every leaker? Do you feign this outrage at everything else? Also what legal action? Geoff didn't sign an NDA and violate it. He may be the Pope but he's not an idiot.

or have i fallen for the bait? :p

jfoul

This really seems like a controlled leak, considering how connected Geoff is with the industry. I can't see him leaking this information, unless somebody at Microsoft gave him their blessing. This is setting up an over deliver moment at the conference. I fully expect a base model for $399 (Basic XB1 Controller, 500GB - 1TB HDD), and a flagship model for $499 (Rev2 Elite Controller, 1-2 TB HDD). Personally, In this pricing situation, I would end up buying the $499 tier.

People really believe this could have been $399?
That's quite optimistic if you ask me.
I believe 499 will be the price

And it's gonna bomb hard

Top Bottom