• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Kamitani responds to Kotaku

Yopis

As someone who has made his living entirely in the arts for almost fifteen years, (If I don't make my work, I quite literally don't eat.) I'm baffled by people like you who have such unevolved and disrespectful attitudes towards art and artists.

I work in photography. I thank God that in my industry critics and journalists covering my medium don't act like you and your lot. If we did, perhaps the chilling effect would have meant no one would see important work by the likes of Arbus ("Oh, she exploits poor people and freaks!"), Saudek ("oh, look at how he sexualizes women!!!",) and Helnwein ("OMG!!! Nazi imagery!!!"). If people like you lot were placed in a position to have a significant voice in photography, Robert Mapplethorpe would have been stuck taking "those pretty pictures of flowers," and Steven Meisel would have been told by his rep to stick to taking "pretty" pictures of models, without any of that troubling "social commentary stuff."

No, in my medium, critics and journalists by and large would stand up for the artist, and want the art to speak for itself, and want to promote art to the widest audience possible, even if it is work that may be controversial or even downright disturbing. See, art that is not stifled is healthy art. Let the art speak for itself, and let the people (and the market) ultimately decide. Criticism is done, but it is done with a conscience for how such criticism should never stifle free expression.

As video games become more sophisticated in terms of visuals, perhaps you aren't cut out for being in this position as a commentator on a medium inching ever closer to fine art. Perhaps you should move into writing about politics, if you thing a large-breasted figure is so dangerous that it needs to be labeled "a harmful work of art." I think the art and artists who want to do interesting, personal work and not just cookie-cutter, committee-approved shit would thank you for exiting the field you are so clearly not committed to the future of. For this medium to grow artistically, it will require advocates of artists, not judgemental folks offended so easily, and so eager to throw labels on artists.

Bingo Great post

AlexBasch

Hey i'm not offended lol. I just pointed out how your point can be moot for many people when you have an avatar or a pseudo paizuri with a red-shiny-tip staff that apparently tastes good for the character.
If we're gonna base an opinion depending on someone's avatar then I don't know why I should bother posting anything at all. Just saying.

Hell, someone tried to throw away my post by going "lolicon lol" on a thread about some guy who lost a computer, I mean, really?

The fact that you (and others) think I said anything even close to either of those things says to me that you're not actually reading anything I've written.

Saying "this thing you enjoy is harmful or sexist to women" is rather close.

and before the "bu-but smoking is bad but that doens't mean I think smokers are bad" arguement pops up, that is something that is factual (and smokers are looked down on..by those who hate second hand smoke)...this is pure conjecture about the harmful nature of a goddam design

The fact that you (and others) think I said anything even close to either of those things says to me that you're not actually reading anything I've written.

It doesn't really help the discussion when you deliberately ignore people who take the time to thoughtfully respond to your post in favor of picking out ones like that.

On another note if everyone seems to be misinterpreting what you're saying than maybe you need to rethink how you're saying it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
You've seen the gif, right? This is not a matter of something that will "catch some players' eyes." We are talking about extraordinary jiggle physics here. We're talking about a character who is designed to appeal to people who like large breasts, which might be perfectly harmless if it weren't part of a culture that, most of the time, only seems designed to appeal to people who like breasts. One small example of a much larger problem.
I see more than a pair breasts there, so perhaps you're really mostly just projecting here? She's a generally rather exaggerated character design, well beyond the typical idolized female figure. If you were to map the spectrum of feminine design in videogames, she wouldn't present the norm, she'd be more of an outlier. So I'm not clear on how this is a particularly salient example of the overall problem that you couldn't be bothered to take the time to frame more lucidly than with stereotypes of your own initially ("design by a 14-year old boy").

One final thought, before I leave the office: if all I cared about was pageviews, as so many of you have claimed, why would I still be here? If I didn't care about my readers and my community, why would I have read every post in this thread?
Because patronizing your readers can't possibly lead to more pageviews...

The fact that he has to explain this about a medieval fantasy video game honestly scares me. How many more layers of "it's not real" do people need?

Thank you!

I loved Katimani's response but it's pretty damned embarrassing that he even needed to respond. But here we are, being told what's "harmful". :/

I've pointed this out multiple times and it gets overlooked or ignroed as it doesnt matter.

No once again...most people are upset because it is an attack on them...even if unintended. I doubt anyone is actually mad that someone would bring up that something is sexist....what they do mind it that this person is bringing up something as sexist when it really isn't and then digging himself a hole via insults and snarky lines.

Sexism or any ism is a loaded word. It's not like saying that I think this thing you like is bad. That doesn't mean that you or bad or anything and it can be whatever.. Calling something sexist means that anyone who likes it is also sexist or at least okay with sexism..

people tend to take offense to that...hence the anger.

and once again...it's a design and nothing more...his issue is that her breast are crazy huge and they flop around. Breast can be big and they often move around. It;s not like she is useless and weak and timid...no since is out there getting things done and has the situation under control. She is powerful and so happens to be sexy and have big breast. Is it sexualized? Hell yeah but that by itself isn't a harmful thin by itself. The timid behavior and weakness would be what is harmful.
Liking something that may be sexist (We don't know if it's sexist yet) doesn't make you a sexist. It makes you a person who enjoys something that has problematic elements, as most of us do.

http://everythingsproblematic.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/a-fan-of-problematic-things/

But if you agree with the statement that it's not inherently sexist, and then someone comes along and says that it is sexist, and is part of the larger problem of sexism in the video game industry, and insults or implies (or at least gives the perception of doing so) that both the artist and the people who enjoy that character or even the game in general because it has sexism-related issues(the 14 year old and lolicon comments)...

Why would people not get defensive, especially when they don't agree with an opinion that appears to be attacking/shaming them for liking/having an interest in a product?

He had no idea what he was talking about with the lolicon comments. The 14 year old comment is about as offensive in my eyes as Kamitani's response was perceived to be in the eyes of most of the thread. I think sometimes because of the XBL 13 year olds and kiddie stigma, having a game you like seen and commented on as juvenile is a touchy thing for a lot of people who play games. I don't think anyone who hasn't played this yet can speak to wether it is actually sexist, and I don't find an uncomplimentary comment on something I may like as a personal attack on me, because everything I like isn't perfect and free of problems, and short of censorship, it's fine for others to dislike those things or find them too problematic to like.

TentPole

I am of the firm opinion that you cannot attack the art without also attacking the artist and you are not going to change my mind on that point.

Also:

Saying "this thing you enjoy is harmful or sexist to women" is rather close.

Also:

I never said that you criticized the game from a gameplay perspective (I am pretty sure you said it was fun and are excited to play more despite your issues). I was answering the question of what is the difference between your criticism of the Dragon's Crown art and others criticism of some of the design decisions in the new Sim City.

Persona86

Banned
People have been dying in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan etc, yet some of the most popular games are set in these places for entertainment while the suffering is ongoing in real life.

Shouldn't that subject be more sensitive than a pair of pixel tits? No pun intended.

It's such an out there design that I question how it can shape anything.

It's not every game now has characters with GINORMOUS BOOBS in it.

Even the old "Boobs because reasons" games like DOA and Soul Calibur have toned it down greatly. The fanservice heavy games aren't big...they are niche.

Attacking a niche is misguided at best. "Yeah bu-but it's out now so I'll use it to talk about my point now"...isn't good because your point is flawed because it is not the norm so what is it really effecting?

This is why people aren't following your logic...because it is flawed.

People have been dying in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan etc, yet some of the most popular games are set in these places for entertainment while the suffering is on going in real life.

Shouldn't that subject be more sensitive than a pair of pixel tits? No pun intended.

Well it is american way to be afraid of boobies. Violence is ok :)

I don't see a problem with either.

jschreier

As someone who has made his living entirely in the arts for almost fifteen years, (If I don't make my work, I quite literally don't eat.) I'm baffled by people like you who have such unevolved and disrespectful attitudes towards art and artists.

I work in photography. I thank God that in my industry critics and journalists covering my medium don't act like you and your lot. If we did, perhaps the chilling effect would have meant no one would see important work by the likes of Arbus ("Oh, she exploits poor people and freaks!"), Saudek ("oh, look at how he sexualizes women!!!",) and Helnwein ("OMG!!! Nazi imagery!!!"). If people like you lot were placed in a position to have a significant voice in photography, Robert Mapplethorpe would have been stuck taking "those pretty pictures of flowers," and Steven Meisel would have been told by his rep to stick to taking "pretty" pictures of models, without any of that troubling "social commentary stuff."

No, in my medium, critics and journalists by and large would stand up for the artist, and want the art to speak for itself, and want to promote art to the widest audience possible, even if it is work that may be controversial or even downright disturbing. See, art that is not stifled is healthy art. Let the art speak for itself, and let the people (and the market) ultimately decide. Criticism is done, but it is done with a conscience for how such criticism should never stifle free expression.

As video games become more sophisticated in terms of visuals, perhaps you aren't cut out for being in this position as a commentator on a medium inching ever closer to fine art. Perhaps you should move into writing about politics, if you thing a large-breasted figure is so dangerous that it needs to be labeled "a harmful work of art." I think the art and artists who want to do interesting, personal work and not just cookie-cutter, committee-approved shit would thank you for exiting the field you are so clearly not committed to the future of. For this medium to grow artistically, it will require advocates of artists, not judgemental folks offended so easily, and so eager to throw labels on artists.

Jesus. What a nasty post. And this idea that I want to "stifle free expression" is just blowing my mind. I really want to know why so many people think that it's impossible for me to criticize a piece of art - or call it harmful to video game culture - without wanting to censor it.

Let me make this clear: I do not want to censor anything. Calling something "harmful" does not equate to saying "This should not be allowed to exist." I would love it if Dragon's Crown didn't have such tasteless designs. That doesn't mean I'm going to tell George Kamitani how to make the game he wants to make.

This week, someone made a video game to make fun of the Boston bombing. I think most of us would agree that something like that is in poor taste. I'd even say it's harmful to video game culture. That doesn't mean I'd want it censored, or banned, or removed from the Internet.

As for the direct comparisons between photography and gaming, well, if your industry had the same sort of issues with sexism and exclusion that the video game industry does, then that might be more apt. But as I've said before and I'll say again, this is part of a bigger problem.

It's not criticism that's allowed, it's criticism where there is none.

Nothing wrong with someone who doesn't like big tits. It's when someone turns this love affair into something it's not. That is, linking Sorceress to actual sexism in gaming or saying it has anything do with being exclusionary.

So this is where I had condemnation when you called it a "symptom" (if this was your intention).

When I saw the post on Kotaku (before this all started) didn't even think of it as a "this is wrong with the industry" thing, I saw it as a "what a ridiculous design" thing. I think it's ok not to like a design and I didn't really expect the article response on sexism in games. I don't think this was the right witch to burn, so to speak, but I think some people (gamers and other outlets I mean) took the chance to talk about it because it was put on the table, not specifically to condemn this character, this game, or the artist.

-PXG-

Did any of the Hyper Neptunia games receive this much misguided criticism..... NOPE.

It still amazes me that big ass titties piss people off this much. I guess I shouldn't slap my girl's ass when I fuck her, cause that is clearly demeaning and misogynistic, despite the fact that she likes it.

Jesus.

Fusebox

Banned
I suspect a session with a therapist would dredge up some long repressed memory of being spanked right after a breast-feed or some other deep-seeded issue that causes such an irrational fear of large breasts.

Azull

People have been dying in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan etc, yet some of the most popular games are set in these places for entertainment while the suffering is ongoing in real life.

You would think but here we are...

Insomniac should have put biggest and jiggliest breasts ever for female characters in Fuse. Would have gotten more marketing than EA ever would give.

Hero

Let me make this clear: I do not want to censor anything. Calling something "harmful" does not equate to saying "This should not be allowed to exist." I would love it if Dragon's Crown didn't have such tasteless designs. That doesn't mean I'm going to tell George Kamitani how to make the game he wants to make.

But you did. You said companies should stop hiring 14 year old boys to design their characters. That means you don't want it to exist. How can you deny this shit?

Persona86

Banned
Well it is american way to be afraid of boobies. Violence is ok :)

I don't see a problem with either.

I do think military games based on real events that's still ongoing is pretty bad taste and I often think to myself, what if my family was killed and my home destroyed and then I come across these games made for entertainment, I'm not sure how I would feel.

But I do understand that in the end, it's just a game and the real focus should be on the actual war.

I'm just surprised that boobs are a bigger deal. No pun intended. ;)

Giolon

Jesus. What a nasty post. And this idea that I want to "stifle free expression" is just blowing my mind. I really want to know why so many people think that it's impossible for me to criticize a piece of art - or call it harmful to video game culture - without wanting to censor it.

This week, someone made a video game to make fun of the Boston bombing. I think most of us would agree that something like that is in poor taste. I'd even say it's harmful to video game culture. That doesn't mean I'd want it censored, or banned, or removed from the Internet.

As for the direct comparisons between photography and gaming, well, if your industry had the same sort of issues with sexism and exclusion that the video game industry does, then that might be more apt. But as I've said before and I'll say again, this is part of a bigger problem.

Tell me how saying "this is harmful, and I would love it if the game did not have these tasteless designs" is not wishing for it not to exist?

I suspect a session with a therapist would dredge up some long repressed memory of being spanked right after a breast-feed or some other deep-seeded issue that causes such an irrational fear of large breasts.

I'm still waiting for an answer as to why the Sorceress is the one who's being targeted. The other two female characters are just as deserving of critique if the Sorceress is considered "harmful".

HOW IS A DESIGN PART OF ANY PROBLEM?

the design is not the problem. the design isnt going to keep women from getting jobs. The design isnt going to keep (some/most) women from playing games. the design is so out there that its not going to start a trend nor is it the current trend. The fact that your entire arguent is that "she has big breasts" is the only thing that makes her "sexist" or whatever kills any point you have made, Big Breast on a Character does not and cannot create or continue a problem.

You are attacking the wrong things.

the current trend is to not have ANY women in a game..or at least not any that are playable. What would be harmful is the portrayal of women as weak and need to be saved or protected. The Sorceress isn't weak. Doesn't need to be saved. And sure isn;t timid.

There is nothing wrong with sexuality in games especially when it is such a tongue in cheek manner. This single design isn't a part of the issue you think it is. That is just exaggerating.

You can create a character that is sexy and owns that sexiness without her being a sexist character....or bad for the industry.

You are asking for equality and yet seemingly are asking for less diversity.

Fanservice via giant breast isn't exactly all over the place anymore.

Metrotab

Banned

But calling it 'harmful' is still putting an obviously negative moral value on the character design. How is that NOT stifling?

And it still ignores the Sorceress is part of a diverse triumvirate of female anatomy.

APF

I look forward to your thread on this topic.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I don't think anyone who hasn't played this yet can speak to whether it is actually sexist, and I don't find an uncomplimentary comment on something I may like as a personal attack on me, because everything I like isn't perfect and free of problems, and short of censorship, it's fine for others to dislike those things or find them too problematic to like.

I agree with you about the ordinarily not minding uncomplimentary comments on something you like, but there is a large stigma on the topic of sexism which is what leads to a lot of the more fervent arguing with a position which calls something sexist.

No one (well, mostly) want to be accused of being hateful or explicitly discriminatory to other members of the human race.

Obviously you can ignore others' opinions, but should someone not be allowed to defend a position if they don't find it has any 'problematic' elements that the opposite opinion maintains is explicitly detrimental/sexist?

Calling something harmful means that you personally do not believe it should be present (unless you desire things that are harmful to you). You are, in essence, saying that you believe it should not exist. However, you are also framing the the 'issue' of the Sorceress as a problem that should be 'dealt with' by tying it to sexism in the industry in one of your articles.

While the former is your opinion (and you are welcome to have it), it doesn't equate to being inherently discriminatory against women or suddenly place it as being included in the larger 'sexism' problem.

Trakdown

I really want to know why so many people think that it's impossible for me to criticize a piece of art

No problem so far here....

- or call it harmful to video game culture - without wanting to censor it.

Yep, here's the issue. You're really going to have to be one eloquent motherfucker for me to understand that you think something is harmful to a culture but you don't want to get rid of it. And best of luck to you on that one.

This is completely bogus. It's like everything is boiling down to parody at this point.

APF

Yep, here's the issue. You're really going to have to be one eloquent motherfucker for me to understand that you think something is harmful to a culture but you don't want to get rid of it. And best of luck to you on that one.
Is racism harmful to culture? I would think so. Are racist comments therefore harmful? Yes. Does that mean you should want to ban them? No.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is racism harmful to culture? I would think so. Are racist comments therefore harmful? Yes. Does that mean you should want to ban them? No.
Are you saying you don't want to get rid of racism?

Edit:LOL your extended post holy shit. I can't believe some of the shit I read here

eternalb

But calling it 'harmful' is still putting an obviously negative moral value on the character design. How is that NOT stifling?

And it still ignores the Sorceress is part of a diverse triumvirate of female anatomy.

And as Hero pointed out, he actually did say he wanted to stop it, in almost those exact words by stating "Game Developers Really Need To Stop Letting Teenage Boys Design Their Characters"

I agree with you about the ordinarily not minding uncomplimentary comments on something you like, but there is a large stigma on the topic of sexism which is what leads to a lot of the more fervent arguing with a position which calls something sexist.

No one (well, mostly) want to be accused of being hateful or explicitly discriminatory to other members of the human race.

Obviously you can ignore others' opinions, but should someone not be allowed to defend a position if they don't find it has any 'problematic' elements that the opposite opinion maintains is explicitly detrimental/sexist?
People should totally be allowed to defend their opinions. That's what makes something a discussion and that's how people find common ground. Here we have two sides of people yelling and running away before the other responds so that they don't hear, and coming back and yelling some more. That achieves nothing.

TentPole

Tell me how saying "this is harmful, and I wish the game did not have these tasteless designs" is not wishing for it not to exist?

I kinda feel like I have to stand up for him on this point. You can absolutely dislike something personally and still think that the creator has a write to create it.

The problem is that Jason's articles did not accurately convey that point. But since then he has come here and clarified that it is in fact his stance, so maybe we chalk that one up to miss-communication. And not insist that he doesn't want the game to exist when he is clearly saying that he believes it has the right to despite his misgivings.

He has enough actual opinions you can criticize him for. No need to bring in opinions that he doesn't actually harbor.

Edit: You are right that he doesn't want it to exist, but that is different than saying it shouldn't have the right to exist which is what actual censorship is.

joetachi

Saying the artist from this game has the talent of a 14 year old is insulting beyond words specialy for a guy thats made art for some incredibly beautiful games. But hey i gotta get those page views so a write the article in the most insulting way posible its not Ea or Activision so its aOK.

RpgN

I find it interesting that the anecdotal real women's viewpoint on the issue is less valid than the white male game journalist's viewpoint on how "other," not even anecdotal women are feeling. Or is there a public outcry that I've missed? This is the God of War achievement all over again.

Just reads like a pretty typical one person with an agenda telling the rest of us, including the affected parties, how we should all feel.

I find it interesting how you cherry pick who's viewpoint you want to find interesting and putting words in Jason's mouth.

As has been the case with the majority of this thread. It has been a crazy thread. I can't believe there are people on here who can't seem to think beyond what images can depict and how they can alter perception of individuals, something you don't have to be aware of. But hey, a lot of guys enjoy it and fully embrace it, to the point of not giving a fuck what others think or even feel offended that it has become a heated topic as of late.

Persona86 said:

You might as well shut neogaf down while we're at it. Have you seen some of the complain threads that have existed in places such as neogaf?

The way women are depicted in video games is absolutely important if you're invested in the hobby, live in first world countries and wish to progress the industry where games can become more diverse and inclusive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I kinda feel like I have to stand up for him on this point. You can absolutely dislike something personally and still think that the creator has a write to create it.

The problem is that Jason's articles did not accurately convey that point. But since then he has come here and clarified that it is in fact his stance, so maybe we chalk that one up to miss-communication. And not insist that he doesn't want the game to exist when he is clearly saying that he believes it has the right to despite his misgivings.

He has enough actual opinions you can criticize him for. No need to bring in opinions that he doesn't actually harbor.
People can have wrong opinions though, such as the sorc being a lolicon's fantasy

Hero

Maybe he should write actual articles on a hotly debated topic instead of a sensationalist, click-bait four sentence bullshit entry. I mean I can't imagine why there would be miscommunication when someone is capable of writing so eloquently like this.

2yWXO

eternalb

I don't think anyone here is actually saying Jason opposes free speech. With that said, Jason also made it clear that he wished the artwork--and artwork like it--didn't exist.

Giolon

I agree 100% that you can dislike something and still stand up for the right of the creator to make it. Jason is not doing that. He continues to say he wishes it did not exist because thinks it's harmful, though he would never tell Kamitani he has to stop. To quote Tycho, "They’re not censors, though - oh, no no. You’ll understand it eventually; what you need to do is censor yourself. "

APF

I don't think I've ever seen a thread questioning the dominant themes and portrayals in video games in which the critic did not come under fire for allegedly advocating "censorship." Especially in the US--we are rabid advocates of free expression, and anything that can be seen as asking for even voluntary limits on expression is seem as a capital offense.

Jathaine

The way women are depicted in video games is absolutely important if you're invested in the hobby, live in first world countries and wish to progress the industry where games can become more diverse and inclusive.

No, actually it isn't at all.
If people don't like it, they should start making games that include the things they want to see... NOT stifle the creation of games they don't necessarily agree with.

Anything less is necessarily making games less diverse in the first place.

Metrotab

Banned
As has been the case with the majority of this thread. It has been a crazy thread. I can't believe there are people on here who can't seem to think beyond what images can depict and how they can alter perception of individuals, something you don't have to be aware of.

Many people here understand what the perceived issue is.

But it just isn't there. This is not the game people should look at for that issue.

TentPole

Maybe he should write actual articles on a hotly debated topic instead of a sensationalist, click-bait four sentence bullshit entry. I mean I can't imagine why there would be miscommunication when someone is capable of writing so eloquently like this.

2yWXO

Absolutely agree. I am just saying there are more valid criticisms to make and this is definently one of them.

I don't think anyone here is actually saying Jason opposes free speech. With that said, Jason also made it clear that he wished the artwork--and artwork like it--didn't exist.

I actually think some people were explicitly saying that. As for your second point you are absolutely correct and I edited the post to acknowledge that.

RpgN

Maybe he should write actual articles on a hotly debated topic instead of sensational bullshit then.

Oh please, as if this kind of article needed indepth analysis researched for a long ass time. I bet most guys would still be offended and have some negative things to say to him. As if the subject itself is not clear enough, where only one artwork should explain everything in the first place.

Top Bottom