• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany used to be a champion of open borders in Europe. Not anymore.

recma12

if i look around in germany, everyone is now "more wealthy" than 5 years ago. everyone in the neighbourhood now has a bmw/mercedes, and i simply ask myself... how did everyone become this rich with such a short amount of time or am i making things up? every city is builing new streets, autobahn is getting renewed in tons of areas, there are so many construction sites and i wonder where all this money comes from.

Sorry, but this isn't that simple.
Example:
Unemployment is down but what type of jobs are people here doing now compared to, let's say, 2003?
Tons of temp jobs, small time gigs (400€ jobs) and lots of people working two jobs now, something that was unheard of 20 years ago.

Average/median income is up. But when some guy makes 15 million a year now instead of 10million ten years ago, it totally changes the picture. At the lower end of the spectrum people make a little more, but rents, gas and other essentials have gone waaay up in price. Good luck finding an apartment in Berlin these day on 1500€ a month.

And let's keep in mind that Germany has the second highest tax burden in the EU, so we have no reason to suck off the government for spending it on new streets and shit. It's not easy to see where all the money comes from, when people pay up to 42% income taxes.

Oh and last but not least. Germany is having a hot streak atm. We had a very cheap Euro (Greece crisis), cheap Gas (Fracking in US) and our companies have discovered lots of new markets (China, India). Almost perfect conditions for an export based economy.

Greedings

Average/median income is up. But when some guy makes 15 million a year now instead of 10million ten years ago, it totally changes the picture.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying in general - tax burden and the number of stupid shit I have to pay for in Germany is ridiculous - but this statement isn't correct. Median income won't be affected by one large number. That's mean you're thinking of.

Last edited:

Dunki

of course they get that.

they WANTED these people to come here because we had 2-3 generations with shrinking birthrates and huge demographic decline. they just want a certain number of migrants (around 2-3 million) though to fill that gap. you will see soon that they gonna close the borders and shut down welfare for migrants because the demographic gap has now been filled. they dont want more. thats why you suddenly see a change in media in the last couple of months. you dont see any #refugeeswelcome articles anymore. quite the opposite.

the german gov never was sjw. they just acted like they were to import just as much cheap labor as needed
Because now you can not hide the problems anymore..

Housing situation is fucking terrible.
There are fucking lines to get your child into a kindergarten
School education level is one ofthe worst in Europe because there are so many migrant children right now. There are scientific studies that say if there are more than 5 migrant children in school who barely can speak german the whole class will suffer from it. And some school already have 90% migrant children.
Anti semitism is rasing especially on School yards. People are afraid to walk around with a KIPA these days.
Daily mass brawls between big family clans

And so on. The problem with taking so many in that there is NOWAY to integrate them in a proper way. Especially not when we can not control places like Mosques who are financed by Saudi Arabia. Turkey etc.
Also while we are talking about a couple million people without work we need to look of how many of them are migrants? BEcause these people can not find jobs based on language problems, missing qualification etc.

We need a system like in Canada which would mean less people get in BUT they actually get integrated. They get help finding work, a place to live etc. In Germany it is go to the Jobcenter write 5 apllicationsif even and get your money.
Another thing that needs to be done is getting rid of ghettos which will crreate a paralel lifestyle. Migrants need to be forced to speak German in their daily life or they will never learn it. Places in which you can go shoping and do all daily stuff without speaking German is bad. We need housing rules so not everyone gets together in one place but is spread through out the city/country In NRW we have more "refugees" then in whole of Italy.

And these are just the current problems. Giving the fact that migrant children born and raised in in Germany are getting more radical is another HUGE Dangerzone 20 -30 years down the line. We need to control the Islamic places which means. NO mosques who are financed by non EU contires. No Imans who are not hav e been educated in EUrope and if the GOV has to build some MOSQUES they ned to do it. But the other ones need to fucking go.

We need to finally act and not be afraid to talk about these issues or down the line it will bite GErmany in the fucking ass and by then I hope I am out of there.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
I didn’t realize there were governments who had the idea of open borders as a serious policy. I guess it was easy to advocate such as asinine policy when you’re surrounded by ethnically and culturally similar states but as soon as more foriegn cultures start crossing those open borders they want to shut them all down... ugh.

This is why I say theres a thin line between the divide from the far left and far right.

cryptoadam

Banned
Germany used to be a champion of concentration camps too.

I'll take whatever is in the middle of those two extremes and just be happy with it.

It seems that German guilt is what pushed this crisis forward.

I said before but what is happening with Syria or the ME is not equal to what the Nazi's did. As much of a tragedy as Syria is 500 000 people died. 6 million Jews alone died at the hand of the Nazi's. That doesn't include the other millions of Gypsies,POW's,disabled and who ever else the Nazi's killed in their death machine.
Its not a comparable situation, but in 2015 the media and politicians were pushing the narrative that if the borders aren't open (every where) then we will see another Holocaust in Syria. Syria isn't even Rwanda (which Europe didn't give 2 shits about). This refugee crisis is manipulation and false equivalencies playing on German and Western guilt.

Saturnman

Banned
There's no need to play oppression Oympics. Refugees don't need to be fleeing death camps to be more worthy than someone running from ISIS rule or Assad's barrel bombs.

Syria mid-2018 is not Syria 2014-2015. The situation was a lot more fluid with the Civil War that was getting worse and worse.

I'm fine with Germany taking a more humanitarian role, but it was obviously ill-prepared to accommodate the flood of people coming with a series of unintended consequences that were continent-wide.

cryptoadam

Banned
There's no need to play oppression Oympics. Refugees don't need to be fleeing death camps to be more worthy than someone running from ISIS rule or Assad's barrel bombs.

Syria mid-2018 is not Syria 2014-2015. The situation was a lot more fluid with the Civil War that was getting worse and worse.

I'm fine with Germany taking a more humanitarian role, but it was obviously ill-prepared to accommodate the flood of people coming with a series of unintended consequences that were continent-wide.

Its not about playing oppression Olympics.

The Syrian crisis in 2014-2015 was being sold as another holocaust, thats why there was so much pressure about taking in refugee's with no oversight at all.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...n-refugees-as-jews-fleeing-the-holocaust.html

Obama urged citizens to “speak out against hatred and bigotry in all of its forms, whether taunts against the child of an immigrant farmworker or threats against a Muslim shopkeeper.” And he likened Syrians fleeing the civil war in their native country to the Jews who fled the Nazis.

“In the Mexican immigrant today, we see the Catholic immigrant of a century ago. In the Syrian seeking refuge today, we should see the Jewish refugee of World War II. In these new Americans, we see our own American stories: our parents, our grandparents, our aunts, our uncles, our cousins who packed up what they could and scraped together what they had,” he said.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/27/14412082/refugees-history-holocaust

Yes, the comparison between Jewish and Syrian refugees matters

Syrian refugee debate draws comparisons to Holocaust

The debate over whether the U.S. government should continue to admit migrants from Syria following last week's terrorist attacks in Paris has drawn comparisons to the Holocaust from leaders of local cultural organizations that focus on human rights and other international issues.

Here's How the Syrian Refugee Crisis Sounds a Lot Like the Holocaust

Why its fair to compare Syrians to Jews

But the analogy doesn’t stop there. There may be no historic precedent for the rise of the Islamic State, but many current-day conditions in the Middle East are reminiscent of the broader context in which the Holocaust occurred. Europe in the 1930s and 1940s witnessed a systemic breakdown of national borders and civil society; brutal ethnic cleansing and population transfers; and a refugee crisis that strained the world’s creativity and resources. These human-made disasters do not just befall majority-Muslim countries.

These are all articles from around 2015. They are focused on the USA, but I am sure a German or European on here could easily find similar articles in EU papers.

The narrative was being clearly set up that whats happening in Syria = WW2 and not accepting anyone claiming to be from Syria=the next Holocaust.

Saturnman

Banned
But it all sounds silly. You're complaining about... hype. These fake Syrian refugees were just running away from war, not systemic extermination as played out exactly in WWII. Bummer.

of course they get that.

they WANTED these people to come here because we had 2-3 generations with shrinking birthrates and huge demographic decline. they just want a certain number of migrants (around 2-3 million) though to fill that gap. you will see soon that they gonna close the borders and shut down welfare for migrants because the demographic gap has now been filled. they dont want more. thats why you suddenly see a change in media in the last couple of months. you dont see any #refugeeswelcome articles anymore. quite the opposite.

the german gov never was sjw. they just acted like they were to import just as much cheap labor as needed

Sorry but that's sound like German government are idiots - there are tons of people in Eastern Europe who would want to work there.

Right now in Poland we have around 800-1000k Ukrainians working and they are welcomed here with open hands. They share similar culture, they come here to work not live on welfare and there's zero risk of any kind of radicalization.

cryptoadam

Banned
But it all sounds silly. You're complaining about... hype. These fake Syrian refugees were just running away from war, not systemic extermination as played out exactly in WWII. Bummer.

I think you misread.

I am not so much complaining about hype, what I am saying is the hype is what caused the crisis in itself.

The media pushed the narrative that if the doors weren't flung open then Syrians would be systematically exterminated. If someone said ok lets slow down a bit they would be hit with remember the Jews and 6 Million dead, its the same thing, if you don't open your borders there will be another holocaust.

We can look over the same time frame and see an actual genocide happening which the media didn't push a narrative of Holocaust and forcing the West to open their doors. The yazidi genocide is barely a blip for the main(left)stream media.

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed/soapbox/article101422882.html

Just last week the State Department announced another 10,000 Syrian migrants would be granted asylum and money to come to America. Most of the migrants are young Muslim men leaving their daughters, wives, sisters and mothers. Of the 10,000 migrants, only 84 Christians were admitted.

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/vian-dakhil-yazidi-iraq-barack-obama-help-abandoned-214513

In 2014, Vian Dakhil's stirring plea for international intervention helped inspire President Barack Obama to order airstrikes and launch a humanitarian effort to rescue thousands of Yazidi Iraqis who were trapped on a mountainside under assault by Islamic State.

A year later, Dakhil, one of two Yazidi members of the Iraqi parliament, says her people have been abandoned by Washington and the international community.

In an emotional, at times tearful, on-stage interview at POLITICO’s “Women Rule” event Wednesday morning in Washington, Dakhil described a full-blown humanitarian crisis — 420,000 Yazidis living in refugee camps in tents with mud floors, women and girls continuing to be kidnapped, 2,200 girls in captivity as sexual slaves, and survivors returning from the horror of ISIL captivity with no resources for psychological support. Thousands of orphans have no homes.

Dakhil, who is credited with saving many Yazidi women and girls from ISIL captivity, said she was not contacted by U.S. officials after the initial announcement. A letter to Michelle Obama received no response, she said.

Both events were taking place at the same time. One is an actual genocide that could draw parallels to the Holocaust, and the other is all hype where the refugees are mainly fighting aged males.

Why did the media push the narrative for one group forcing the doors to be flung open or you are a Nazi, while the other group was left on its own with the media not caring at all?

recma12

Sorry but that's sound like German government are idiots - there are tons of people in Eastern Europe who would want to work there.

Right now in Poland we have around 800-1000k Ukrainians working and they are welcomed here with open hands. They share similar culture, they come here to work not live on welfare and there's zero risk of any kind of radicalization.

There are also over 2 million unemployed Germans lol

This whole "we really must get new people in here or we're dying out" is probably the dumbest argument in all of this. But that's exaclty what the huge corporations want: an army of highly motivated Syrians that are willing to work for less and in return spend that money on new shit too.
A win-win for the big corporations, subsidized by the German taxpayer.

Not too long ago (early 2000s) the German industries gained access to million of Eastern European workers. But it seems that they are getting "too expensive" as standards have improved in the East, many workers prefer to stay in their home countries now.
During the financial crisis, Germany was able to steal a ton of Italian, Greek or Spanish workers. Most of these people are patriots tho and returned the moment the Southern economy picked up a little.
Sooner than later the German job market was tapped out as far as qualified personnel is concerned, until Merkel turned into mother theresa lol
What a coincidence, huh?

Thing is, I don't care if German companies can't fulfill every single order. If they lack workers -> raise wages.
I'd also be totally fine to live in Germany with only 60 million people, don't get that hysteria about declining population at all. Germany is overcrowded as it is.

danielberg

Neophyte
Its not exactly a secret anyway.

Unemployment at the highest level
Employees now have no options to leave or argue for a raise
Employer realize they cant just pay peanuts anymore
"Hello Mr Politics and Mr Media, huge shortage of skilled workers pls send pretend refugee"

Dunki

Its not exactly a secret anyway.

Unemployment at the highest level
Employees now have no options to leave or argue for a raise
Employer realize they cant just pay peanuts anymore
"Hello Mr Politics and Mr Media, huge shortage of skilled workers pls send pretend refugee"
Unemployment is really low here but also because they use a slavery like system that deals with people of all races like goods. The whole time job business is fucking awful you get trader like cows for the absolute minimum of wage. And if you do not even have the qualications like migrants don’t have you are done for. Education is on an all time low. And so is the skill level of many

Dunki

This thing did happen yes but we do not know if the child was beheaded or not. IT is all talk about knife attacks and Youtube actually has blocked videos for this in Germany. So what we do know: Yes it did happen, Ye he wasa refugee and it was a realationship drama or something we call Ehrenmord here in Germany.

cryptoadam

Banned
This thing did happen yes but we do not know if the child was beheaded or not. IT is all talk about knife attacks and Youtube actually has blocked videos for this in Germany. So what we do know: Yes it did happen, Ye he wasa refugee and it was a realationship drama or something we call Ehrenmord here in Germany.

So 3 months later and Germans don't actually know what happened?

So the press is censoring the story?

Is Germany aware of below as well?

https://www.breitbart.com/london/20...red-jewish-teen-previously-raped-11-year-old/

Or is this being censored too?

GMAK2442

I wouldn't mind to open border with the US but this if they would not have easy guns access. So with Canada only for now.

cryptoadam

Banned
https://www.thelocal.de/20180712/vi...ime-assaulted-by-police-after-identity-mix-up

Is this more of what Germans want or will they control their borders?

An Israeli professor was the victim of an anti-Semitic hate crime on the streets of Bonn on Wednesday. But when police arrived at the scene they mistook him for the offender and physically assaulted him.

The suspect, a 20-year-old German with Palestinian roots, is reported to have repeatedly knocked the philosophy professor’s kippah from his head and shoved him. The offender allegedly shouted insults in German and English including the phrase “No Jews in Germany!”

Top Bottom